[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an AR with KAC Micro BUIS. I want to mount my Surefire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1680.jpg (106KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1680.jpg
106KB, 1000x1000px
I have an AR with KAC Micro BUIS. I want to mount my Surefire M300 Mini Scout light at the 11 o'clock position (from the shooters POV). I'd like to do this with a cantilever offset mount attached to the top rail behind the front sight.

Would the Thorntail SBR Light mount (pic related) give enough clearance for this to work, or would there not be enough room due to the BUIS mounting screw? My front sight would be mounted where that flat-head screw is at the end of the rail in pic related (it would need more rail space, however) and I'm hoping there's enough space where the bezel meets the body of the light for the BUIS mounting screw to fit.

If not, can /k/ recommend any other mounting options? Thanks guys
>>
File: IMG_1681.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1681.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
Similar view. I'd want the front sight mounted in that space forward of the light mount on the top rail
>>
>>32341929

Anon, I had a Thorntail SBR Mount with an M300C on it once upon a time, and I think you could get the proper clearance. You would have to mount the BUIS right near the bezel, and mount the Thorntail SBR on the 9 o clock rail and not the 12 o clock rail for the extra room. I base this on having the light with the mount and, not a Micro BUIS, but a KAC Rail Mounted QD point, which should bolt on with a similar clamp and screw.

I would also consider looking at the new American Defense Manufacturing Offset Scout Mounts. I say I used to have an M300C on the Thorntail SBR because I upgraded to the AMD Offset Mount for dat sweet QD action.

I will bump with pics.
>>
>>32342114
Thanks man I'll look into the ADM QD mount
>>
I tore apart my 2 rifles to bring you this blurry ass photo of the M300C on an ADM Scout Offset Mount fitting with a couple millimeters of space between the bezel and the screw of the QD Rail Mount. It's on the wrong side, yes, but it would be a mirror image on the side you want it, and I don't want to look for the allen wrench to disassemble my light setup and then have to re-loctite it and shit. ADM makes a cantilever version too which is probably the same dimensions and would probably still fit. I'd surmise that the Thorntail SBR would fit as well, since it offers more room when mounted on the side rails.
>>
>>32342189
neat
thanks anon
>>
>>32342189
Perfect. I'm gonna go with the cantilever version. Thanks for going through the hassle I appreciate it!
>>
Derp wrong picture, this is the one that shows, or doesn't show, the mild gap between the light and the screw.

Keep in mind that you will have to mount the light at the 9 o clock position and not the 12 o clock to get the proper clearance. And also keep in mind that I am using stand in parts, as I do not have a Micro BUIS Front Sight, and I don't know if your rail has a similar dimension to the Knights Armament RAS. There are a lot of variables at play here, as with any gear decision. That being said, I think you could jury rig something with the parts you have mentioned. If I were in your position I would give something a try.

I do love the ADM mount though, it solved the problem I was having with the Thorntail where I had to use a fucking allen key to get the light off every time I had to disassemble the rail. Now the light just pops off when I throw the lever. I think if you get the Offset Cantilever Mount, you will have a properly spaced and modular setup. The Thorntail should work too, but you will have to get used to bolting it on and off, depending on your rail setup and your maintenance schedule.
>>
>>32342221
You are welcome /k/omrade. I would love to see your setup.

Let it be said that, once in a while, anon does deliver. Now I have to put my 2 rifles back together.
>>
>>32342243
>>32342232
I'll post it as soon as I get the parts in. Thanks again man
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I did the same thing but with MBUS and a super cheapo offset mount. Observe
>>
>>32342294
I really like that while from my regular grip on the afg, I can rest my thumb on the momentary on button and depress it as I like. Only thing i don't like is that I can only really operate the MBUS by curling my index finger upwards instead of hitting it with my thumb (blocked by a big ass surefire light in the way)
>>
File: 20161216_034425_resized.jpg (207KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20161216_034425_resized.jpg
207KB, 1328x747px
>>32342306
Anon who posted ADM pics here.

I actually mount my light at the 1 o clock position and use a Surefire SR07 at 12 o clock so I get momentary and constant with separate switches with a C Clamp Grip. I never liked the Z68 cap because I didn't like accidentally clicking it on when I just wanted momentary, and the SR07 fixes that. Once my DS00 switch comes in the mail, I will have a failsafe click activation mode on the light itself separate from the tape switch, making for a perfect scout light setup.

I also never liked having the light on the left side because it snags on gear at rest (I'm right handed), and obstructs your peripheral view a little bit if you are right eye dominant (I am). The trade off I have to deal with, though, is having barrel shadow at 7:30 instead of 4:30, but it's not within the hot spot and not a super big deal. Just a minor drawback to putting a light on a basic bitch A Frame FSP 14.5 inch barrel M4gery setup, though.
>>
>>32342430
Oh yeah, if anyone is curious as to what I've done with the stray tape switch cable, it is tucked into a Manta Micro Pocket Switch Holder, which mates perfectly with the SR07 on 6 inches of rail, the same length as on the RAS. It butts right up against the switch to fully encapsulate the stray cable. I was super stoked when I figured this out, as it meant no more jury rigged ranger bands on the rail to manage the cable.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.