[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rapier for self defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 88CHR_m[1].jpg (17KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
88CHR_m[1].jpg
17KB, 500x333px
Would a (short) rapier be a reasonable self-defense weapon in a country without firearms? It was specifically meant for unarmored civilian combat, which would seem like exactly what a random self-defence scenario would be.
>>
No stop asking.
>>
>>32334607
If you can actually wear it in public, sure, I guess.
>>
>>32334607
I guess man
>>
>>32334619

I've thought that it could be hidden inside an umbrella.
>>
>>32334607
Most countries with stupid gun laws also apply the.. how the fuck was that shit even called? If you attack someone with a weapon it's considered premeditated, even if the aggressor has a gun.
>>
The next question is, would a rapier the length of a telescoping umbrella still be efficient? A ten inch blade plus the handle would still be bigger than a knife, plus concealable.
>>
>>32334607
>(short) rapier

That's just a stabbing knife.
The problem is, you gonna lug a sword anywhere you go? The next best thing is some sort of smallsword hidden inside a cane or umbrella
>>
File: 54884848.gif (3MB, 320x250px) Image search: [Google]
54884848.gif
3MB, 320x250px
>>32334607
Home defense?
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik
>>
>>32334675

Yes, any kind of self defense is illegal here. But there are practically no punishments for crimes, so you're better off even killing the assailant and getting drunk so you can say you weren't in control of your actions.

We have a thing called conditional prison sentences, which means that unless you do another prison-sentence warranting crime during the time (4 years for murder), you don't have to go to the prison at all.
>>
>>32334702
Jesus Christ you bleeding asshole that actually made me laugh.
>>
File: 1481242681215.gif (2MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
1481242681215.gif
2MB, 260x195px
>>32334702
better version
>>
>>32334749
>Yes, any kind of self defense is illegal here.
Read the chapter on self-defense found in your law book.
> But there are practically no punishments for crimes, so you're better off even killing the assailant and getting drunk so you can say you weren't in control of your actions.
Alcohol intoxication isn´t an excuse for criminal behavior in any European country.
>We have a thing called conditional prison sentences, which means that unless you do another prison-sentence warranting crime during the time (4 years for murder), you don't have to go to the prison at all.
That´s known as "probation". Furthermore, only a manslaugther conviction will get you off in 4 years, no matter what EU shithole you live in.

PS. I´ve (probably correctly) assumed you to be a fellow eurocuck. If I assumed wrong, feel free to set the record straight.
>>
>It was specifically meant for unarmored civilian combat
No, what you're thinking of are dress rapiers, which are thin little faggot sticks like what you posted. They are barely weapons, and were mostly used for gentleman's duels because some fag spilled wine on your wife or groped your son. Battle rapiers were fucking huge, heavy (for singled handed blades anyways), long swords.
>>
>>32334840

Still better than a knife, right?
>>
Is it 1700?
>>
>>32334687
That's a dagger.
And what you described in your OP is a smallsword.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (126KB, 512x511px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
126KB, 512x511px
>>32334989

Speaking of knives, is that really the best small melee weapon there is? Aren't modern materials strong enough for folding swords yet?
>>
File: folding sword.jpg (148KB, 997x623px) Image search: [Google]
folding sword.jpg
148KB, 997x623px
>>32335219

Something like this would work, but generally a long blade would put too much lever force on the joints of a longer blade.
>>
>>32334840

So... would a "gentleman" have had better chances at duel by bumrushing his opponent and stabbing him with a knife?
>>
maybe

but chances are if some criminal decides to fuck your day up, he'll have a gun soooo
>>
>>32335623

Not here. Gun control in fact works to the point that only the highest echelons of criminals have them, so you can be over 99% certain that a random mugger won't have a firearm.
>>
>>32335219
No. Not in the least.
>>
>>32335219
If you're lucky it will shatter into individual parts when you strike something which hopefully won't hit anything valuable.
If you're unlucky it wil hinge and fold somewhere in the middle and slice your fucking fingers off.
>>
>>32334840
OP posted a cold steel rapier that, while probably being shit like all cold steel stuff, has a fairly decent length and weight for a rapier.

Also, a rapier is a decent home defense (melee) weapon if you're trained with it.
>>
>>32335219
>yet
I hate those fucking niggers who think science and technology will eventually do just about everything and if it doesn't "yet", we just didn't research long enough/spend enough/have it withheld by the jews...
That's not how science works. We're not making up the laws of physics as we go, we're exploiting what we're given, and that's usually very little. So stick your folding sword up your faggot ass, because it will very likely NEVER work.
>>
>>32334607
>exactly like a random self-defense scenario would be

Yes, if you think you're likely to be attacked by someone wielding a sword or whatever.

Rapiers are designed to fight in scenarios where your opponent also has a sword. In fact, they are designed to give you an edge over other swords. You get more reach than even longswords, and much more than arming swords or whatever. You also get a basket, because in such scenarios, attacking your hand is a viable tactic, and often the best one to go with. They have a weight distribution that allows them to be very nimble too, or at least the tip to travel extremely fast. It does require a lot of free space to wield it, and isn't going to be such an effective weapon against larger shields or whatever.

In self-defense scenarios of today, you'd rather want a sword that can deal as much damage as possible in as little time as possible, and maybe allows you to fight in a larger variety of spaces, like small rooms or whatever. More importantly, you do not need to beat a guy wielding another sword. So an arming sword or something similar would be more effective today.
>>
>>32334607
It was specifically meant for unarmored civilian combat where the other guy will also be carrying a sword. Also the whole point of the rapier was that it was long, because all you need to do is stab the other guy before he stabs you.
>>
You want a cutlass, it is the ideal close quarters sword for hacking at thugs and muggers in alleyways and such.
>>
>>32334657
Illegal in most No gun countries
>>
>>32335387
>Folding under, through the hand-guard.
Jesus fucking christ. Just spring-load it or something.
>>
>>32335984

>>Folding under, through the hand-guard.

I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>32336884
>Blade designed for choppan fails to lock
>Still succeeds at choppan
>>
>>32334607

a gun would be better OP :)
>>
>>32337136
I think in Norway at least in practice, you'd get a harsher punishment for bringing a gun. Even though the law doesn't discriminate between weapons spesifically designed to kill people or even large animals, a gun will incite a stronger reaction from almost any judge and end in a harsher punishment.
>>
>>32334607
Make yourself a spear. Probably the best melee weapon you can get.
>>
>>32338200
for self defense* I should specify.
>>
>>32337121
yeah that seems like an issue. There should be a moving piece on the guard, it could block the gap when the blade is out and hold the blade closed when it's folded.
>>
>>32334803
thx
>>
Someone post the screencap about the foreign guy and his friends who saved an anon from a bunch of dindus with swords while drunk and dressed like musketeers
>>
>>32339136
Bumping for this!
>>
>>32338200

A long umbrella with a spike at the end like in >>32334657 is pretty much a spear in itself. Only needs to be sharpened, but even if making an actual knife point to it could just be covered with a blunt plug when not in use.
>>
>>32334607
>short rapier
well if its hidden in a cane or something as well then its a smallsword, as that is illegal everywhere apart from France and some yank states...
>>
>>32337121
>>32338968

I don't see the problem here. The blade seems to lock on the open position so it won't come down on your fingers, on chopping all the force pushes it to the direction it's strongest in, and what does the crevice on the handle matter?
>>
>>32334607
>>32334607
>Short
>Rapier
???
Get a smallsword, and no it will not be nearly as effective as any modern option. A black powder revolver would be better.
>>
Firearms are out of the question. Like >>32337775 said, guns are a big deal in countries with gun control. It would take nigh-mafia-levels of connections just to get one, and getting caught carrying one is big enough deal to make it into news.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.