[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to install a diopter or peep sights on a CZ 455,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: 455FS2.jpg (59KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
455FS2.jpg
59KB, 800x530px
I would like to install a diopter or peep sights on a CZ 455, but it does not have any front sight.

Where can I find a front sight that goes on the barrel without any modification of it (drilling etc)?
>>
>>32334391
how good are you at welding?
>>
>>32334403
Fugg off

>>32334391

Just get a surplus barrel band front sight. A Springfield 1903 one might work fine but i dont have the diameter of a cz barrel. Alternatively a vz58 one might work also and be higher (and fittingly czech)
>>
>>32334403
I don't have any tools.
Doesn't something with screws exist (just like how you tighten a scope into its mount)?
>>
It seems to be called a clamp-on barrel band front sight.
>>
>>32334422
Does the diameters have to match perfectly or a slight difference wouldn't matter?
>>
Get a gunsmith to do it.
>>
I think your 455 has a tapered barrel so you'll have to have a matching barrel band. I'd have a gunsmith do it.

I clamped it in a mill, and dovetailed the sight post riser so I could clamp a dovetail front diopter sight to the riser. Worked well but you have to have the tools. I'll bet you could file in that dovetail if you were careful with a triangular jeweler's file.
>>
File: IMG_8132a.jpg (24KB, 320x254px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8132a.jpg
24KB, 320x254px
Since you're getting a diopter sight I'm guessing you're looking for accuracy, sadly nothing you can DIY with no gunsmithing experience will deliver accuracy. Take it to a gunsmith and get the barrel dovetailed, now you can choose any front sight you like!
>>
This is not my photo but it's what I did. You could do this with a needle file if you were really careful, and fairly handy with them.
>>
>>32334391
just sack up and get some cheap glass like a nikon
>>
This is the barrel band approach, although you need a gunsmith to bore or ream the band to your barrel's taper assuming there is no front sight tower. If there is you will have to position the band behind the tower and that's a mess.
>>
>>32335168
fuck, even a holosun would do if u dont want magnification
>>
>>32335178
Diopter sights are tits. They are lovely to shoot, more repeatable than 90% of scopes under $1000, and far more adjustable for various lighting conditions and target options.

Only use glass if you NEED magnification or your eyes are crap.
>>
Just get a new barrel, used 455 barrels are easy to find for under $150
>>
File: 1480786377219.jpg (33KB, 740x784px) Image search: [Google]
1480786377219.jpg
33KB, 740x784px
>>32335115
I would really prefer to avoid any gunsmithing, because there is no garanty that he won't fuck it up, and also because it will be my first owned gun and I don't want to wait ages before shooting it.

>>32335163
Why would I need filing if it's a clamp-on?

>>32335168
I want a diopter (or tight peep sight) because it's a lot more fun, and a better shooting training IMO.

>>32335171
Are you sure it is necessary if the diameters match?
There is no front sight at all, that's all the problem, because any front sight would have done the job.

Also I could choose a Savage Mark II, but it's still a varmint barrel (no front sight) so the problem stays the same.
>>
>>32335319
>why would I need filing if it's a clamp on?
The clamp isn't a "clamp" it's a dovetail fitting.

>there is no front sight at all.
Ok so if the diameters match you are fine as long as the barre doesn't taper significantly. It will/may also have a tendancy to move on you if there isn't a shoulder for it to register on. Typically what we do is turn down a straight shank .75" in diameter from the muzzle about 1.5" to create a tenon for the barrel band to clamp to.

If you don't want to wait and you want it done right then call rilesmachine and have him make you a barrel band fit to the diameter of your barrel and as close to the taper as you can figure. You want the Palma 22mm version. The problem is, like with anything custom, you are going to spend $225 on the front sight without the iris.
>>
File: [email protected] (10KB, 600x509px) Image search: [Google]
barrel-muzzle@2x.jpg
10KB, 600x509px
>>32335389
cont.
Sight tenon looks like this.
>>
>>32335389
>what we do is turn down a straight shank .75" in diameter from the muzzle about 1.5" to create a tenon for the barrel band to clamp to.
Do you have a picture of this installation, by any chance?

If I just tighten it well plus glue it, am I not ok? (it is just 22lr after all).
>>
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=CC812A

The diameter of this clamp is 812, and the one of the CZ 455 is 866. Is it ok?
>>
>>32335463
You might be fine, and use Loctite 609. Although that's a lot of money to glue to the front of a $500 rifle.

>>32335526
Much better price, go that way. You won't find .054" of space by spreading that clamp gap. You will need to ream out the barrel band. .866 is 22mm so you could go buy a 22mm reamer and run it through if you have a drill press, make sure to shim the clamp gap so the band doesn't change diameter while reaming. You could also use a drill but use a 21mm drill because it's going to wallow out the hole oversized.
>>
>>32335589
Appreciate your answer but that sounds really hazardous to do for me.

If I buy a Savage Mark II, which has the exact same barrel diameter as the clamp, do I still have to do some reaming etc?
>>
>>32334860
Barrel should be slightly bigger. You apply heat to the band and bang it on. They have to be kinda close but no need to be exact.

Typically they're pinned on also. But silver solder would work fine and do no damage
>>
>>32335319
>I would really prefer to avoid any gunsmithing, because there is no garanty that he won't fuck it up
As opposed to you? If you even had to ask on /k/ how to do it you shouldn't try yourself and you're obviously not serious about learning and taking the time to practice the kind of hand skills you'd need to acquire to then be able to do it.

A professional gunsmith, someone who's livelihood depends on his work, is not likely to fuck it up. Especially since it's a fairly simple job that could be done in several ways.
>>
>>32335147

This is the correct, and only, answer.

You need to dovetail the barrel, either yourself if you have the experience (but if you did why the fuck would you be here?) or have a gunsmith do it.
>>
>>32335850
Thanks

>>32335858
Ok
>>
>>32335674
>If I buy a Savage Mark II, which has the exact same barrel diameter as the clamp, do I still have to do some reaming etc?
No.

Loctite 609 is good because it gap fills .005", and with a cylindrical part that means you can have .010" of sloppy fit and "fix" it with loctite.

I think the CZ is worth making work because I like them more than Savage. The other nice thing is that the 455 has easily removable barrels so you could have a gunsmith do this work to a new barrel (or new to you barrel) while you mess around with yours, then just swap the barrels.
>>
>>32336070
Nice.

However, each barrel is around 200€... and I only want it in 22LR
>>
>>32336202
You want something semi custom. It's going to cost you at least 200€ no matter how you do it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.