[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bulged cases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_7596.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7596.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So I recently bought an old Winchester 1907 and finally got some ammo and got around to shooting it. However, after shooting a mag and inspecting the cases they showed a very small bulge (a few thousandths of an inch at most) and signs of case stretching. I was firing some Jamison 180 grain soft point rounds that had similar ballistics to the original Winchester .351 loadings. My question is is it safe to fire this gun? I've never dealt with anything that did this to fired cases before. Pic is just of the stretch marks on the cases as the bulge isn't large enough to easily see on the cases in a photo
>>
File: 1481414607907.jpg (694KB, 3263x1491px) Image search: [Google]
1481414607907.jpg
694KB, 3263x1491px
>>32327424
Potato of the rifle in question
>>
I'll bump for you OP

Good luck. That's a niche gat
>>
File: 1472687675031.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1472687675031.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32327424
A lot of time my 500 mag brass will look similar to that when approaching high pressure loads. I've always just assume its slight abrasions from when the case glues itself to the chamber for a millisecond upon firing. after a 2 hour tumble in walnut they come out pristine looking and show no signs of fatigue. i'm approaching 10 loadings on my brass with no sign of it failing any time soon.

Are you reloading? I've never heard of .351 winchester, i bet its pricey.
>>
>>32327424
Bulge is pretty wasy to see.
Who made the brass? Looks pretty sloppy.
I would try better brass before blaming the rifle.
>>
>>32327484
Texasfag spotted
Cowboys or Texans?
>>
Have some unfired brass to compare to? Looks like excessive headspace and it's stretching back. Compare the outter diameter along the length and compare it to an unfired case.
>>
File: IMG_7598.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_7598.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32327663
Thanks, I honestly wasn't expecting to be able to shoot it much because the ammo is pretty rare, but the thing was tons of fun to shoot during that mag and I'd like to do it again.
>>32327714
>>32327698
These are loads made by Jamison brass, pretty much only this and some Speer as far as "factory" ammo is concerned for this round.

>>32327722
From Texas but I've always been a Redskins fan pls no bully
>>
>>32327779
From what brass? Jamison made?
Extractor cuts look uneven and the orange peel texture would imply poor heat treat/alloy control.
>>
File: image.jpg (849KB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
849KB, 3264x2448px
>>32327759
Unfortunately I don't have calipers/ a micrometer in my toolbox yet, however looking at the brass it looks like the taper towards the rim of the cartridge looks really uneven, leading me to think that anon was right about the poor quality brass. I need to find better brass and try again I guess.
>>
>>32327424
>front sight

do I detect a Police Special 1907?

>Jamison 180 grain soft point round
these are the same spec as the original 351SL but mfg tolerances have not improved since 1907, they've gotten markedly worse, in fact so my inclination is that it's bad brass/batch/. every gun can bulge cases, so you may just have a doozy. you could get a smith to measure the chamber and the barrel to confirm

if you iron them out to reload you will cut case life in half, but it is not dangerous to shoot. if the case blows, the bullet goes plop and the gas will vent out the ejection port, probably in the direction of your hairy disgusting mug, so wear your ipro and you're all set
>>
File: image.jpg (982KB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
982KB, 3264x2448px
>>32327914
I wish, it's just a big standard 1907 that's been kicking around as a ranch gun it's whole life, with some high quality mountain man repairs. I think ill get the chamber measured though just to be safe. Thanks for all the help, everyone in this thread
>>
>>32327424
This might well be stupid - I'm not exactly an authority on the issue - but bear with me.
The Winchester 1907 is straight blowback, correct? Could it be that the recoil spring is worn out and the bolt is cycling before pressure has dropped enough?
>>
>>32328001
no, it won't cycle until the brass unsticks from the chamber walls, the bulge happens at the moment of expansion
>>
>>32327998
nice one OP I would put that gun at somewhere north of 1935 but not otherwise sure of provenance
>>
>>32327859
The tapered region near the front is probably from crimping, which is normal. The region near the back looks buggered up like it's got two tapered regions on the fired case, indicating it stretched and pulled in. Check the overall case length between fired and unfired to see if it's significantly different. I still think your headspace is too much for that case, but maybe it headspaces off the rim...I don't know, I'm talking out my ass now.
>>
>>32327779
Its k, was checking to see whether you're from Houston or San Antonio
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.