[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pro tips from the pros?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-12-14 13.43.41.jpg (487KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-14 13.43.41.jpg
487KB, 2048x1152px
Hey /k/, I won't mince words.
I'm a gun noob.

How do I into the gun world?
Went into my local gunstore and felt like a kid in an adult store.

Are shotguns impractical? Why are some handguns $200 and other identical ones $1300?

Do I sign up for the range, and rent guns to get good?

Any advice to make me not a noob would be great. Im selling my satanic vidya and looking to buy soon.
>>
>>32324360
Most places wont let you rent guns unless you have a gun already. Liability from suicides.

Your first piece of advice is to research a shitload. Generic reccomendation is to start with a .22, especially because of cost. You're going to need to shoot a shitload to get any good. I spend thousands a year on ammo and I'm still shit.
>>
>>32324384
Do .22 rifles and pistols use the same bullet?

Sounds good, any good gun sites aside from /k/? Or should I just lurk moar
>>
>>32324360
Learn about firearms.
Impractical for what?
Quality, Name of maker
That is one way to get better. Or you can get one or two guns and focus on becoming proficient with those.
>>
>>32324414
Depends on exactly which .22 it is.

There's
.22 BB Cap
.22 Extra Long
.22 Long
.22 Long Rifle
.22 Short
.22 Remington Automatic
.22 Winchester Automatic
.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (.22 WMR)
.22 Winchester Rimfire (.22 WRF)

but when most people say .22 they mean .22LR since that's the most common. It is both a pistol and rifle caliber
>>
>>32324415
Impractical for home protection. The spread is what concerns me.
I would focus on a gun if I could find my calling. Any suggestions on "good models"?
You hear a lot about S&W and Ruger, but only heard bad about Glocks
>>
>>32324414
If they are both 22 LR (long rifle). Most modern .22 firearms are LR or Magnum.
There is also 22short and 22long in older guns but you seldomly see those.
>>
>>32324450
Glock is fine. Most if not all of the hate comes from people who've never touched one and regurgitates whatever anecdotes they've heard or contrarians who own steyr m9s or walther ppqs
>>
>>32324414
Honestly Reddit is going to be way more helpful for a noob than this place.
/r/longrange, /r/firearms, /r/1022, /r/handguns, /r/shotguns, /r/weekendgunnit should all be good places to post questions.
>>
>>32324438
>>32324450
I appreciate the knowledge, Ill definitely start looking into .22's.
>>
>>32324450
S&W are quality, can confirm, but there's nothing wrong with glocks, they're the Honda civic of guns. Cheap, realiable, work 99.9 percent of the time, but ugly. A shotgun is not bad at all for home defence, in standard home distances there will be barely any spread, so that's not a worry. However, they may be ungainly around corners and have low capacity/RoF. For a first gun that will act as training, home defence, and a Jack of all trades, I'd recommend a 9mm pistol. Probably striker fired and polymer like a glock/m&p/insert other generic name here.
>>
>>32324455
>>32324494
Meant to tag you braj
>>
>>32324450
A shotgun with a shorter barrel is great for home defense. Easier to operate under stress and more powerful with buckshot or slugs than a standard handgun so it will inflict more damage.
Glocks have a great reputation. Glocks are one of the most popular sellers where I work.
>>
>>32324506
Shotguns are not always a good option for home defense because they require a good amount of training to become proficient with and the body type to do so.

You may scoff at that last part but if you try to hand a shotgun to an petite girl you're going to figure out why I say that.
>>
>>32324530
Ignore the "an" I reworded my post and forgot to change that bit
>>
>>32324497
>>32324506
>>32324530

I want a shotgun the most, but you can't test them at most ranges. Right?

And contrary to what libs say, how hard is it to get my hands on an AR? Figure there's more paperwork and waiting
>>
>>32324478
spotted the fag
>>
>>32324530
I'm assuming the OP isn't going to get a gun he can't comfortably shoot.
Second, hitting someone close range with buckshot in a HD shotgun takes less skill than getting a sight picture on a pistol.

Personally I prefer keeping my handgun by my bed since it is less cumbersome in my apt.
>>
>>32324603
In most states buying a standard AR is the same as buying any other long gun.
Also, if you have a carry license it can make the process smoother since your application won't be delayed (in my state anyway).
>>
File: v1noobadvice.png (35KB, 1813x1006px) Image search: [Google]
v1noobadvice.png
35KB, 1813x1006px
I just made this in paint, anyone feel free to change it or tell me if they disagree
>>
>>32324478
Homo
>>
>>32324384
why?
Back in my days as a soldier for my nation, without any advanced weapons training, I was aiming pretty accurately from te beginning on, if you dont get better by firing 1000s a year you will never get better
>>
>>32324603
You can usually with slugs, it depends on the range. Word of warning though, for a first gun, shotguns have a ton of recoil, expect a bruised shoulder
>>
>>32324935
looks ok to me. I would
>add marlin under ruger 10/22
>add another striker fired pistol under glock 19
>add two hammer fired pistols as alternatives to striker fired
>>
>>32324360
Shotguns are, if anything, the most practical gun.
>>
>>32324360
>felt like a kid in an adult store.
it seems like a lot of gunshop employees do their best to make everyone feel this way.
its best to reasearch online first, narrow down what you like and dont like, calibers, actions, brands, etc.this way you arent just going in blind. find a LGS with a decent selection. be polite, dont be a sperg, keep all you spaghetti in, and look around.
ask to see a gun but treat it gently (it doesnt belong to yoU), dont dry fire it without asking, and dont point it at anyone
>>
>>32324450
Shotguns don't spread like they do in videogames. They will spread about 5 inches for every 10 yards. A choked gun or one using rifled slugs is accurate out to 100 yards.

Dedicated defensive shotguns are by far the best tool for home defense. They will put a motherfucker down much quicker than a comparable rifle or pistol, assuming he isn't wearing body armor.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.