[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend Me Some Weapons For My Novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: rtet4454.jpg (178KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
rtet4454.jpg
178KB, 540x810px
Hi /k/!

I'm writing a post-apocalyptic novel.
The main theme of the novel is the life of an exmercenary with combat stress and its constant struggle for survival, fighting agains other factions and bandits.

I want to write it as realistic as possible, so can you recommend me some weaponry?

In this world, a nuclear war wiped out the US and the USSR in some point of the 1980's, so no modern weapons after this point.
>>
>>32322998

If nogunz couldn't get guns, or people were using alternatives to conserve ammo, you'd see:
>bows
>crossbows
>slings (underrated AF)
>poison dart guns/blowguns
>caltrops

I liked the grannies in Fury Road that used black powder. Plausible that you'd see some communities making their own ammo and powder; black powder is easy to make, smokeless powder and primers, not so much.

If you assume people still had access to the guns that were in circulation then sheeit, pretty much anything, but they'd be careful with the ammo.

Also depends where it's set.
>>
>>32323024

This anon has everything right. Melee weapons would be long knives, some forged after the nukes, maybe a HEMA fag's higher quality sword or two (not the cheap ones that break when you hit something), a lot of axes and a lot of spears and polearms.

Black powder is easier to make and you could expect something like flintlocks and black powder bombs to show up but like anon said percussion I'm more doubtful of. If you search into percusion muskets you might be able to set up a situation where they'd be plausible and you'd get revolvers and more reliable rifles
>>
>>32322998
>>32323024
This
I suppose it would also depend on how long after the apocalypse the setting is. The later it is the less gun use but at the same time if even later you can assume people would start making their own ammunition and firearms. Just how far in the future you thinking?
>>
File: nld2bdeNgp1qzx14xo1_500.jpg (109KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
nld2bdeNgp1qzx14xo1_500.jpg
109KB, 500x750px
Right now i'm only "using" some basic well known weapons:
- M16 rifle
- M40 Rifle
- S&W M29 .44 Magnum handgun

>>32323024
Thank you for your recommendations. Crossbows sounds like a great idea.

>Also depends where it's set.
I never specify where is set, so that the reader can imagine this taking place anywhere.
>>
>>32323024

Also, people would put a lot of focus on ranged weapons. No one likes to fight close up, especially people who've never practiced it before
>>
>>32323094

Well certain guns are the norm in one area and almost entirely absent in another.

There's many 30-30 lever actions in the southern part of the states but you won't see any europe. 9.3×64 CZ550 is a really popular rifle in eastern europe but theres next to none in the states
>>
>>32322998
Weapons:
Black powder is easily made so firearms could be widely used.
Bows, crossbows, slingshots are prolly a common thing to see used.
Bladed and blunt weapons are common too

Other:
Slavery is back in fashion
Fuel has a shelf-life so depending on how long after the SHTF you put your characters in, it might not be available and/or usable.
>>
Also forgot that not just fuel but everything even remotely chemically complex is either gone bad or lost so much potency it's useless. >>32323152
>>
File: 53486471_p0.jpg (691KB, 1500x735px) Image search: [Google]
53486471_p0.jpg
691KB, 1500x735px
>>32323093
>Just how far in the future you thinking?
I probably should have mention this at the beginning of my post, but in my story the world didn't quite end, it only changed drastically the balance of power, along with territorial lines. A world war started, after 70 years only one superpower was left, but it broke apart after a century, the earth's ecosystem was too damaged, a shortage of food started, and with it a civil war. Our story takes place almost twenty years later after the broke of society, in the year 2200.

The world technology did not change much in all those years. This country was very militaristic so no shortage of weapons and ammo for now.

>>32323152
>Slavery is back in fashion
Very appropriate.
>>
>>32322998
It depends where you set your story.

In the USA the most prevalent guns would be Colt 1911s, Smith & Wesson .38 and .357 revolvers, maybe Beretta M9s. Popular rifles would be all kind of shotguns (sawed-off, double-barrel, pump-action, semi-auto), hunting rifles (level-action, bolt-action...), and assault rifles like the M16A1 and A2. There would be probably quite a few semi-auto rifles around, like the Mini-14, H&K 33 or 91, AR-10 and AR-18, etc. Probably there would be some SMG's to be found from old police/army/gangs supplies (MP5, MAC-10, Smith & Wesson M76...).

Situation would be very different in Europe. In Western Europe there would be less guns. Hunting rifles and shotguns would probably be the most common. Handguns are going to be relatively rare and absolutely not homogenous apart of military/police sidearms. FALs will be found in UK, Ireland, Belgium (Belgium switched to the FNC in 1979), Holland and Luxemburg. Austria would already have switched to the AUG. France would be using the FAMAS. The G3 would be prevalent in Germany, Sweden (named Ak 4, got replaced by the Ak 5 - FN FNC - around 1986), Norway, Iceland, Portugal and Greece. Spain would be using the CETME, Italy was still using the BM59 (M14 copy), Switzerland would be using the Stgw 57.

In the Soviet Union, the most prevalent weapons would be military weapons like the AK-74, RPK-74, SVD, Makarov's, etc. I don't know what hunting weapons they use there.

Next to all those guns, there would probably a lot of zip guns, pipe guns, etc. using commonly found ammo. No idea if black powder weapons would be popular anymore (you need to get the components to make gunpowder from somewhere).

Bows and crossbows are relatively easy to do and ammo can be salvaged after use. Same goes for spears, javelins and slings.

For more inspiration on homemade weapons, google Raskol Gangs.
>>
>>32323305

Maybe those weapons if the year was 1985
>>
>>32323299

I'm not sure anon, I'd look for prevalent modern military rifles used today and weapon concepts expected in the future, 70 years of war would be quite a drive to innovate for the countries left around. At this point there might even be a new standardized round like 6.5 grendel or chinese shit

Then a hundred more years of a lone superpower would come more advancements. I'd imagine most would be in small arms and armors to deal with insurgents outside the nation's borders. There'd be a lot of guns, even more if civilians could own guns. Keep in mind ammunition has a shelf life shorter than you probably think.
>>
>>32323305
Thank you so much!
You have helped me alot! I will include most of the weapons you have suggested, just to give it a more international feel to it.

>>32323431
I address this point, there are more futuristic weapons and gadgets, but were military exclusive, with ID technology so only the soldiers and certain personal could use them, during the civil war the rebellion destroyed their computer system, rendering them obsolete. So they only have this kind of weapons around (for now). But you do have a point, I must include more futuristic weapons into the story.

>Keep in mind ammunition has a shelf life shorter than you probably think.
I feel like an idiot now, didn't even know ammo could expire. Thank you a lot for this piece of information.
>>
>>32323528
>didn't even know ammo could expire
See >>32323250
Yes, even the fucking aspirin.
>>
>>32322998
Look up Syria improvised weapons.

People figure out ways to make anything that explodes or once delivered explosives into an indirect fire weapon. Nail bombs launched from slingshot mortars and aircraft weapon pods welded to trucks. One shot high caliber rifles milled from scrap.
>>
>>32323590

Good advice here OP, theyre some creative bastards. Google syria improvised weapons or something along those lines, it already looks like the world youre invisioning there
>>
>>32323024
This. Slings (Both shepherd slings and slingshots) are underrated as fuck.
Also you could go with air guns. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QqDPyTCAZ0
>>
>>32323528
Also keep in mind that not everyone is a moron. Even though people might not be making micro chips and jets in the future with "no technology" steam power is still easy enough (relatively), you can likely make a simple battery with stuff in your house right now, and some metals aren't hard to work at all.
>>
>>32322998

Alrighty then:

The M16a2 was introduced in the mid-80s IIRC, so they would be uncommon at best. At that point, intermediate assault rifles were just starting to become common in NATO, so if the balloon went up in 1985, there would still be a ton of .308 battle rifles (FAL and G3) and SMGs (Uzi, MP5, M76) floating around.
>>
File: f8fe037712fb5ecd75a393149ecdc870.jpg (522KB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
f8fe037712fb5ecd75a393149ecdc870.jpg
522KB, 744x1052px
>>32323590
>>32323904
Yes, what I'm most impressed of the fighters in Syria is their custom combat vehicles, some crazy enormous sniper rifle and their land "drones" with machine guns attached to them. Not even Mad Max could come up with that.

>>32323948
Steam technology making a comeback sounds like a great idea.
>>
File: 58704275_p0.jpg (1MB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
58704275_p0.jpg
1MB, 4000x4000px
Alrighty, this is the collection of firearms I'm thinking of adding to the story based on your suggestions.

Inventories of Firearms:
- S&W M29 .44 Magnum Revolver
- Colt 1911 .9mm Revolver
- Beretta 92 Pistol

- M16 assault rifle
- HK33 assault rifle
- CETME Assault Rifle
- Stgw 57 Assault Rifle
- AK-74 Assault Rifle

- FAL Combat Rifle
- Ruger Mini-14 Rifle

- Zastava M76 Sniper Rifle
- Dragunov Sniper rifle
- M40 sniper rifle

- Submachine gun MP5 .9mm
- M-10 machine gun

What do you guys think?
>>
It's important to keep in mind that, even after an apocalypse in the 80's, gun ownership in the US + massive military caches would mean that firearms would still be highly prolific for a long time. If you're setting it 200 years on though, it's plausible that a lot of them would have degraded and broken by then. Whatever's left would likely be hoarded by a few powerful groups (one of the few things Revolution got right).

Anyone with the ability and equipment to repair guns, or even manufacture new ones (along with ammo; think Fury Road's bullet farm or Eugene in TWD) would be highly sought after.
>>
>>32324599
Seems OK. I just hope you won't sperg on the weapons part and forget that you need interesting premise (post-apocalypse is used quite often) and interesting characters and an actual story that will keep people interested.

Basically, I hope you already got a rough draft of a storyline and main characters lest all this be in vain.
>>
>>32324599
> Colt 1911 .9mm Revolve

Nigga what
>>
File: 4bae0951f2763da9dc35210d95d531b2.jpg (142KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
4bae0951f2763da9dc35210d95d531b2.jpg
142KB, 1024x512px
>>32324599
>- Colt 1911 .9mm Revolver
>>
File: 3bcf9OP3y1spd0keo1_1280.jpg (488KB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
3bcf9OP3y1spd0keo1_1280.jpg
488KB, 744x1052px
>>32324656
>>32324657
Ups, my bad. Don't worry, I'm not gonna call a Magazine a clip either.
>>
Remember that the longevity of a weapon will be tied most closely to how straightforward the design is. Complex, difficult to repair weapons with gas operations and such will be the first to go. Revolvers and bolt-actions, with their simple actions, will last for quite a while
>>
>>32324688
Well? >>32324639
>>
>>32324639
>>32324757
Yeah, I know what you mean, some stories tend to get loose on the details and forget to tell a story. One of the main themes of my story is combat PTSD, and issue I see is not very often represented in this kind of stories, like if people can just keep living in a hell hole without affecting their minds. I've been studying the subject and planning this novel for 9 months now, so I think I got a pretty good concept and storyline by now.

Hopefully it will get publish one day.
>>
>>32324869
OK. It's clear that I have some explaining to do.
Communism:
-Work 18h
-Get thin government issued potato soup

4chan:
-Anons reply with constructive criticism
-Thread is surprisingly devoid of aspergers and shit-flinging
-ANONS GET AT LEAST SOME GREENTEXT

If it's any good, I promise to pirate it in some electronic format.
>>
>>32324914
Thanks!
>>
>>32323528
>Ammo can expire

I shoot 40+ year old surplus ammo all the time and it works great
>>
>>32324975
IDK. Postapocalyptic kinda implies ammo won't be stored with temperature and humidity regulation.
>>
For a real cobbled together kinda thing look at the Metro 2033 game. They have gunsmiths making weapons from that work but aren't great, and you end up with some other weapon types like pneumatic guns that fire arrows or ball bearings. Does a better job than Fallout 4, anyways.
>>
>>32322998
>post-apocalyptic
> exmercenary

are there any more cliches you would like to hit for your fanfic tier shlock?
>>
>>32325592
Well, the protagonist sexually identifies thimself as trans am.
>>
>>32322998
>Hi /k/!

>I'm writing a post-apocalyptic fanfiction.
>The main theme of the fanfiction is the life of an exmercenary with combat stress and its constant struggle for survival, fighting agains other factions and bandits.
>>
File: Gun Digest 1982.jpg (1MB, 3601x2341px) Image search: [Google]
Gun Digest 1982.jpg
1MB, 3601x2341px
>>32324599
It should be a "Colt 1911 .45 pistol."
Also, it's 9mm, not .9mm.
The Smith and Wesson M29 isn't very common, although there could be a few. If you're talking mid eighties, the Smith and Wesson Model 10 in .38 special is far more ubiquitous.
You'd see a lot of .38 snubs from Colt and Smith and Wesson, steel-frame Smith and Wesson automatics in 9mm and maybe 45, probably some Llama 9mm pistols, and .25 cal Saturday night specials. I'd throw in a Hi Standard .22, or maybe a Colt Woodsman in .22 for extra style points.
You'd see a lot of pump action shotguns too. In the mid 80s, the majority would likely be Remington 870s, Ithaca 37s, Mossberg 500s, and maybe a few Stevens shotguns as well.
Probably lots of hunting rifles. Bolt action Remingtons, Winchesters, and Savages. Lever action Winchesters as well.
I've got an issue of Gun Digest from '82, it has some pretty good material for stuff like this.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.