[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Light machineguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I've heard USMC is trying to replace the M249 with the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle for all automatic riflemen on the platoon level upwards, which means canning SAW altogether. Does anyone know more about this? Does anyone have range time with this M27? Any automatic riflemen with complains about M249? Personally, this idea of essentially going back to automatic rifles doesn't make a lick of sense. Without a quick-change barrel and huge belt, you lose the capability of effective suppressive fire, now you're just another rifleman. It's stupid. No one else is doing it, that's for sure. Russians don't even have a light machine gun, they just shove the PKM and the PKP into every machine-gun role universally.

Also, does anyone have any reliable sources on how the Soviet DP-28 machine-gun performed as compared to the Bren and other LMGs of the era?
I know DP-28 doesn't have a quick-change barrel, and the pan magazine was probably unreliable, but I've never read anything substantial about that. It was phased out right after the war, unlike Bren, so it couldn't have been too good.
>>
>>32322555
Well with the Saws we have a toddler with a 9mm could send more hate and discontent downrange than those overused pieces of shit. And I love the m27 everything felt just right about it. But despite everyone telling me the contrary I feels like a better m16/m4 not a replacement for the SAW. And anytime anyone in my unit heard of a magical working SAW everyone would clamor over it and have a blast with it. Its just that so many refuse to work, but when they do they work.
tl:dr IAR seems to be more of a replacement for the m16, SAW sucks becuase their all worn to shit but when we get a working one its the tits
>>
>>32322555
It is a move back to the automatic rifleman in essence. SAWs will still be available as needed. They're very unwieldy indoors, hence the desire for an "LMG" you can clear rooms with.

As the other anon mentioned new and updated SAWs are desperately needed. For the mission right now the M27 makes sense, but that won't always be the case.
>>
>>32322581
That's like saying about MG 3 is a terrible machine gun because the particular one you're using has been raped by conscript for 40 consecutive years of service. Everything that's seen abuse for decades is not going to work right. That doesn't mean the platform itself needs change. Even if they did develop reliable high-capacity mags for the M27, that still doesn't make it an LMG.
>>
>>32322555
Pan fed guns make my cock swollen.
>>
>>32322555

Both DP-28 and its pan mags are actually very reliable as long as one loads the mags in correct manner (two man job and one needs to know the right technique). Besides being difficult for one person to load properly, the mags are also quite cumbersome to carry. I have no personal experience about Bren, so I don't even try comparing the two. DP-28 was clearly intended only be fired from a bipod, since firing it from a hip is complicated at best, but when used from a bipod it is very controllable and pretty accurate for a light machinegun.
>>
Why not add a heavy barrel and 40 round p-mags to the m4 and call it day?
>>
>>32322555
Can the SAW, use more .240s, give an intermediate between a SAW gunner and rifleman a la the M27, and done. Kind of like how designated marksmen are used for the intermediary role between rifleman and sniper.

The 240 kills more anyway.
>>
>>32322735
>>32322555
This is why we need ultimaxes.

Delta uses them.
>>
>>32322555
I member some anon on here a few months back who claimed that the M27 was actually intended to replace some of the USMC's aged M4s and M16s, and most of the SAWS would remain. This is the US armed forces, so you can't actually say you will be replacing any M4s/M16s with something better, say an overbuilt M416.
>>
>>32324561
Wikipedia says its bipod was shit by wartime standards. This issue with the magazine is also very problematic, because this weapon system is supposed to be operated by conscripts with minimal training. The SVT-40 never became a standard-issue rifle for similar reasons, despite being the best personal weapon of the war all the way until StG 44's appearance.
>>
>>32322555

Reminds me of the Lewis gun. Those had a good track record I think, along with little in the way of heating issues. Problem is that they are more unwieldy than they seem at first glance. And their magazines, well, whatever you have loaded in the pan is pretty much all you can use.

>M-27?
They must be out of their fucking minds.

A machinegun is different than an assault rifle for a couple reasons - it weighs more because the components are thicker and heavier to withstand thousands of rounds of abuse (more like tens of thosands, potentially hundreds).

Also the Barrel has to be heavier and/or have heat management installed on it. Otherwise itll get red hot after about 300 rounds and its finished for awhile. Thats not a machinegun.

This is why the old Maxims are still useful, but not efficient. They just never need the barrel changed, as long as you keep them fed, they keep going like a train.
>>
>>32322555
>Russians don't even have a light machine gun, they just shove the PKM and the PKP into every machine-gun role universally.
RPK and earlier RPD

SAW's are beaten up to dead and nobody wants to buy new ones for some reason, this is basically the replay of "80's M60" saga.
>>
>>32325697
>This is why the old Maxims are still useful, but not efficient. They just never need the barrel changed
They do, after it's worn out, after each 12k rounds or so. Otherwise you'd fire smoothbore after 12k.
>>
>>32322555
Was a Marine Corps SAW gunner.

Maybe just buy new ones instead of trying to repair ones from the 80's? The newer ones work fine.

Maybe, I dunno it's because we put hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. I didn't carry a spare barrel for nothing.
>>
>>32325455

Calling DP-28 bipod shit is gross simplification, but not completely wrong. The bipod design is extremely rudimentary and totally nonadjustable. But at the same time it works in both hard and soft surfaces and is very simple to use - as far one understands its limitations (basically: push the weapon forwards on its bipod before starting to shoot).

When it comes to pan magazines, you seem to have completely misunderstood the situation. One could train a most idiotic inbreads to load DP-28 mags successfully in less then 5 minutes - assuming that the person that trains them the correct method (rotate magazine a bit [against magazine spring), insert cartridge, rotate magazine a bit more, allow magazine to turn back so the cartridge returns back to loading bay, rotate the magazine a bit, load next cartridge, repeat...). It really is not that difficult, but it takes at least three hands to do it and is somewhat time-consuming.
>>
>>32322555
There are two thoughts on suppressive fire: Volume of indirect fire or Constant Direct Fire.

SAW and guns like it: Shoot a ton towards the enemy.

M27: Shoot a lot at the enemy.

The USMC thinks they'll be able to shoot better aimed fire at the enemy and get the same suppressive result.

It makes sense in a lot of ways, since unaimed fire can be quasi ignored and bullets striking near you are a real fuck you. But the ability to lay down a whole shit ton of "BTFU" shouldn't be overlooked.

Personally I think the SAW should stay in service. Maybe in a more limited role.
>>
>>32324709
Have you had to carry a 240B? Walking with those shits and a combat load is miserable. God help me if we end up in combat and I need to aquire a target with that. Besides a nice feature of the 249 is that in long firefights you can use M16 mags if you're out of belt
>>
So maybe this is the wrong place, but any other military fucking hate the m249/c9?
I've never had any jams or stoppages on any weapons outside of the C9 that I used and I'm thinking it might just be me. I lube the fuck out it and keep it clean but I still wind up constantly having to deal with stoppages.
Any tips on what might be the issue? I think its hard to asses without actually being there, but maybe some of you might know common errors about the gun.
I remember in training I had one of the feeding pawl springs popped out, and my IC though I wasn't doing my drills properly so I wound up with a bolt-action C9 once.
>>
File: 1480193544377.jpg (200KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1480193544377.jpg
200KB, 1252x1252px
>>32325747

RPD
>the best weapon in COD-BO2
and nobody is using it

>>32325812
this
they could sell them and then buy new ones

But seriously the Mk48 is better.

>>32325853
> shoot better

If they wanted to do that they would need 2 round burst limiters or that new pull-release trigger action.

Because then you can suppress the fuck out of somebody but you're able to accurately point that shit as well as not strip off an extra 10 or 15 rounds even after you want to stop shooting.

> mfw 400 rounds per minute cyclic is four times better than 800 rounds per minute because of controllability, and it still scares the shit out of the enemy.
>>
>>32325455

When people say the SVT-40 is a good gun I keep thinking they're confusing that with the.

> AG-42 swedish.

Like you know the Ag-42 was the best rifle of the war, but you're just mixing it up with the SVT-40 because the model number sounds similar and the guns looked similar.
>>
File: 1232.jpg (144KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1232.jpg
144KB, 1440x2560px
>>32326158
the svt40 is a good gun if you know how to handle it's somewhat high maintenance need. I've never had a properly adjusted and cleaned SVT40 fail on me
>>
>>32324585
stop using logic.
>>
>>32325906
Former SAW gunner here. Damn I hated that thing. Also the "It can take regular magazine too LOL" was the biggest meme of all time.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.