[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greatest Type of Sword

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: roman-legion-graphic-1a.jpg (662KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
roman-legion-graphic-1a.jpg
662KB, 1500x1125px
Okay, so I know that every type of sword has a proper application and context to be most properly used. But hypothetically, let's say an immortal swordsman is well trained in every martial style and well above average. Let's also say that he is plopped down in the year 500BC and is somehow able to fight in every major conflict (in both the Orient and the Occident) from this time up until the High Middle ages. What single type of sword would best serve him? The sword can come out of any era and made with the highest level of craftsmanship. So, what sword would be useful in the greatest amount of conflicts and situations?
>>
>>32313696
see that bit:

> every type of sword has a proper application and context to be most properly used.

you answered your own question.

furthermore, time is linear. a 15th C longsword's not going to be available in 2nd C. Rome.

Therefore we can safely conclude that given sword types were replaced over time, as warfare changed, and no one particular type remained in use for 400, 500 years.while arms, warfare etc changed around them, that there is no such thing as a "greatest" sword, there is simply a range of swords which all excel in the application and context of when they were being used, against what they needed to be used for.
>>
>>32313835
But my question is a hypothetical. Let's say *you* are thrown back in time and are gifted with all the proper training, you know that warfare will change, but you are forced to choose one type of sword. What would that be?
>>
>>32313855
and you just answered your own question.

>every type of sword has a proper application and context to be most properly used.

that 15th C longsword? Bloody good in 15th C germany.
Shit in 2nd C Rome.
That 2nd C Roman gladii? Shit in 15th C Germany. That 16th C japanese Katana? Shit on a Viking age raid on Lindisfarne.

and so on.

there is no "greatest". there is no "best". your hypothetical question is utterly pointless, because these weapons are ALL the best, for thier time, for their environment they were used in. Each was honed and optimised to be the best against the prevailing conditions. Take it outside of its prevailing conditions and it no longer the best, its is sub-optimal for use.
>>
>>32313917
I realize this, but that's specifically why I'm asking that if you ABSOLUTELY HAD to choose one then which one would it be. This isn't meant to be serious discourse on historical military technology.

Just look at your own examples provided. What type of sword do you personally think is least shitty (i.e. most versatile) within a massive array of possible situations. I understand that you can't get a 15th C longsword in 2nd C Rome, but time traveling swordsman don't even exist in the first place. You're thinking too hard about this. It's just for fun desu.
>>
File: 1475100567171.jpg (145KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1475100567171.jpg
145KB, 728x546px
If he's well trained in all ways to use a sword, it doesn't matter what he uses. He would most likely just use what's around him at the time to conform to the tactics of that area.
>>
>>32314009
and I'm telling you, its a pointless question
it has nothing to do with time travelling swordsmen.

Its the fact that there is no "greatest".

what is good at one date sucks a couple of centuries before or after. what works in one country is shit in another with different armour. What excels at any one point in time is inferior at others. And there is absolutely no quantifiable way to prove that a 18th C cavalry sabre would utterly dominate on the 13th C mongolian steppe, because obviously, there were no 18th C cavalry sabres there to know how it would be like. So any speculation of later types in earlier dates is fanwank on par with "Captain Kirk would've totally stomped on the crew of Firefly! I've watched every episode of..." shit.

if I "Absolutely had to". then I'd pick the one I was trained in. Because being trained with a weapon will give better results than if I'm handed a dick-shaped Congolese throwing sword, given even if it is secretly teh gretest sowrd evar, I'm not going to be able to exploit it if I've never seen one before.

you're fixated on the idea that there is a "greatest" or "best", and cannot comprehend that there is no such thing.
>>
>>32314120
Why do you bother bro? He is an autist, utterly fixated on his moronic larp. He is unable to understand your well thought out posts
>>
I pick a high quality recreation of whatever sword is commonly available at the time I'm going to.
>>
File: 1481140270889.jpg (47KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
1481140270889.jpg
47KB, 480x515px
The katana
>>
>>32313835
>>32313917
Honest answer: What he said.
Full retard answer: early renaissance battle sword, but thats just because I like them and they likely kill well in every century.
>>
>>32314380
>Why do you bother bro? He is an autist, utterly fixated on his moronic larp. He is unable to understand your well thought out posts

Because I'm an autist who enjoys explaining the contextual subtleties of the evolution of arms and armour and their complex inter-play, even when the other guy doesn't get it?

Probably. Or something like that.
>>
>>32313696
15/16th century longsword.
>>
>>32313696
damascus steel kilij
>>
File: basket-hilt-broadswords-710[1].jpg (43KB, 710x367px) Image search: [Google]
basket-hilt-broadswords-710[1].jpg
43KB, 710x367px
I'd go for a pic related.
>>
>>32314593
OP did not ask for a fucking novella you sperg. The question is not that complex: what single sword design would be the most useful when applied to all historical conflicts? We obviously know that no single weapon would trump all others. I hate you.
>>
>>32314009
I'd choose a poleaxe, because swords are pretty much sidearms in every culture and time period in history and bring only a sword in this context would be like bringing only a pistol to a modern combat scenario.
>>
File: elrMessOlAbv.jpg (96KB, 1000x597px) Image search: [Google]
elrMessOlAbv.jpg
96KB, 1000x597px
>>32313696
i know nothing about swords but i wanna say a Kriegsmesser
>>
>>32314120
OP here. I constructed the question to specifically work around the idea that there is no greatest sword. I know there isn't a greatest sword which is why the question's parameters are meant to put you in a situation where you must pick one.

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE SAYING AND I AGREE THERE IS NO BEST. My post says specifically that different swords are good at different things which is a truism; there's no need to state it because everyone here already gets that. What I asked was meant to illicit the opinions of others regarding what one sword they personally think would workout best if you were forced to only use that one for a span of time which i defined.

Do you personally think a kopis would fair best over this course of time? An arming sword? A gladius? A jian? It's not that fucking complicated, and it's really just meant to frame a laid back discussion regarding swords from different time periods. Holy fuck.
>>
File: 88CS_1.jpg (16KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
88CS_1.jpg
16KB, 600x400px
>>32315998
I am truly sorry for you OP, not even 30 posts in and someone who can't appreciate a hypothetical has already tried to ream out your thread.
>>32314593
This is not the thread for that, fuck off and make your own and jerk off over the complex inter-play.

Personally OP?
Pic related. Feels very middle of the road/jack of all trades.
>>
>>32313696
If were going by DnD bullshit standards, greatsword
>>
File: DP146428.jpg (30KB, 436x625px) Image search: [Google]
DP146428.jpg
30KB, 436x625px
>>32313696

I dont know much about swords of different era but if I was a pro atvpic related I feel Id stand a good chance at any time period
>>
>>32313835
/thread
>>
>>32313835
>furthermore, time is linear.
Marty, you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!
>>
a lightsaber
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.