[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is THE FUTURE of gun technology, /k/? Hard mode: no airburst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 33

File: cyb18.jpg (385KB, 1024x1448px) Image search: [Google]
cyb18.jpg
385KB, 1024x1448px
What is THE FUTURE of gun technology, /k/?
Hard mode: no airburst or caseless ammunition
>>
File: gunslinger girl.png (94KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
gunslinger girl.png
94KB, 640x640px
>>32312166
Smaller/lighter, I think we'll see more 5.7 type stuffs
>>
>>32312166
railguns obv when the power supplies get small and light enough
>>
Telescopic ammunition
>>
>>32312166
Little schoolgirl operators
>>
Cybernetic body mods will make melee combat the norm again because everyone can either dodge or just ignore small arms fire. Some will use airburst explosives but you said no to that so fuck you.
>>
>>32312186
What is this drawing style called?
>>
>>32312228
>Cybernetic body mods will make melee combat the norm again because everyone can either dodge or just ignore small arms fire
If they can dodge fucking bullets, why can't they dodge swords?
>>
What is the advantage of caseless ammunition?
>>
>>32312239
Heat stays in the gun, so your gun is nice and warm
>>
>>32312229
Oekaki
>>
>>32312234
The guys with the swords all have cybernetic body mods allowing them to at least match each other's speed.
>>
Internally suppressed AK.
>>
>>32312228
Nonsense. Can't dodge artillery, and you can always make the projectile faster and more powerful.

A railgun shooting at like 20k fps is not going to be dodgeable
>>
>>32312271
A bullet is still going to be able to travel faster than a sword, anon.
>>
>>32312239
Super high fire rate since you don't need to eject cases.

You can just line them up and fire them off one at a time.
>>
>>32312239
lower weight from not carrying metal cases
>>
>>32312291
I wasn't talking about artillery, we're tslking about guns.
Railguns.. maybe.

>>32312292
You're just not thinking fast enough.
>>
>>32312340
>You're just not thinking fast enough.
Anon, you're not making sense.
Why would cyborgs use swords and not guns?
No matter how much faster a cyborg can process information, it doesn't make a sword faster than a bullet.
>>
>>32312166
magrails and battery bacpacks
>>
>>32312340
I'll give you that melee combat will most likely become the norm in cqb like inside of a house but I don't think it will become the norm outside of that.

Maybe small teams of special operations guys who would be going into a town or something but again that's all cqb stuff
>>
>>32312363

If anything, cyborgs could probably hit their enemies so hard that using a blade wouldn't be necessary. The preferred anti-cyborg melee weapon would probably be some sort of deployable spike that can be used to punch through armored limbs to damage vital components.
>>
>>32312385
>The preferred anti-cyborg melee weapon would probably be some sort of deployable spike that can be used to punch through armored limbs to damage vital components.
I could jive with a pile bunker.
>>
File: Ghost Recon.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost Recon.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Real answer? Accessories. Not about the gun, all about the accessories. Augmented reality and information sharing will be the big features. See things in front of you without looking at a screen. Instantly share data with allies. Ghost Recon tier stuff.

Red dots and lasers can be display on the AR - only the positioning electronics are needed on the rifle, somewhere out of the way like the stock Information sharing could let a leader point his virtual laser and have all his men see it on their goggles. Calculate drop of projectiles and display the path in mid-air, great for firing 40mm grenades and small mortars. Add a round counter to the mags and have it displayed somewhere on top. Use acoustic gunshot detection, draw the path of incoming bullets so that soldiers can return fire instantly without searching. Have an SOS button that informs everyone you're hurt/pinned/etc and shows a pointer over your location. The sky's the limit.

Gunna be crazy but first we need the optics. Useful augmented reality needs massive FOV. Current market options like Google Glass aren't even close. The F35's helmet is what we need but greatly miniaturized.
>>
File: TKB 022PM.jpg (481KB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
TKB 022PM.jpg
481KB, 3072x2048px
The future happened 50 years ago. Imagine this mixed an RDB - super short action with downward ejection
>>
File: rule20.jpg (111KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
rule20.jpg
111KB, 750x600px
>>32312166
Honestly, probably removing the human operator as the sole component behind marksmanship.
By that I mean smart guns that do some degree of on-the-fly aim assist. Auto compensating for windage and drop. Automatically leading a moving target the appropriate amount. Just put the dot on the bad guy an pull trigger.
Super high end NODs already have target outlining, if you link this up with a personal IFF transponders, the only thing the human really has to do is carry, point in the general direction, and pull the trigger.
>>
>>32312166
Nothing's going to change much.
Smaller/lighter/cheaper cartridges that offer similar or better velocities with similar grain bullets. Not sure exactly how much better we can get than what we already have. Probably not a lot of areas to improve.
And guns that are lighter without sacrificing overall reliability and durability under normal circumstances.
>>
>>32312778
That's already a thing for the most part, not the future.
They'll just make it lighter and smaller so it can become more mainstream and affordable.
>>
>>32312340
>You're just not thinking fast enough.
nigga is this DBZ?
>>
File: zergface.jpg (66KB, 210x241px) Image search: [Google]
zergface.jpg
66KB, 210x241px
>>32312166

>What is THE FUTURE of gun technology, /k/?

Magnetic Rifling that uses coils to stabilize and accelerate conventional ballistics. Battery powered and recharged via the heat and friction generated by the propellant in the cartridge, which will probably be caseless but we'll see.

Small Arms technology isn't going to change very much any time soon. We don't have the energy storage methods necessary for man-portable directed energy weapon and we won't for a long time. The future is coil-assisted.
>>
carbon fiber parts when
>>
File: 23.png (414KB, 1018x764px) Image search: [Google]
23.png
414KB, 1018x764px
active stabilization
>>
>>32312287
ak-9.
already exists.
faggot.
>>
>>32312466
This
>>
>>32312402
>deployable spike
>what needs to be small to concentrate the force and punch through the armour
>it will also have to travel pretty fast too so they dont dodge it
>needs to punch thru a layer to harm internals

So were looking for something small, fast, lots of force behind it and you probably want multiple incase you miss the first time...

Thats a bullet anon you dumb fuck
>>
Smart ammo
>>
>>32312166
Honestly at this point we're just gonna get tiny incremental improvements until we find an entirely new method of fire (guass/rail/laser/etc.).
Just take a look at the modern firearms industry, most people are focusing on accessories to make money, better scopes and red dots, better rail setups, better muzzle brakes, and the like but when it comes to new guns everyone is trying to make the new AR or glock killer and failing miserably because the AR and glock already exists and their guns don't really bring any appreciable advantage over them. We've basically reached the peak of chemical propellant firearms already and can't really go up from here, we need something entirely new before we can start experimenting and improving again.
>>
>>32312229
scratchy and effortless

nice colours though
>>
>>32312166
WE'll still be using AK's and AR's
>>
>>32312166

The immediate future would be the end results of the CTSAS project and the possibility of gundrones becoming more commonplace. CTSAS has the potential of offering a better cartridge with lower weight while gundrones like MAARS have the potential to serve as extra firepower with little logistical burden.
>>
> bullpup
> integral suppression
> gradual transition to heavy, subsonic rounds like 300 BLK because no one gives a shit about engagements at distances over 500m

Basically, armies will adapt to conflicts taking place in megacities rather than open country, where low-cost drones and other automated weapons will render infantry irrelevant
>>
>>32318296
.300 memeout is not the future
>>
File: upotte.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
upotte.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
Anthropomorphic guns you can fuck.
>>
>>32312234
Because if a sword and a bullet travel the same speed then melee would be an advantage if dodging is in question.
>>
>>32312466
>>32312190

THIS RIGHT HERE is the future...

Think...
>Ghost in the shell : Stand alone complex .. Style of body mods

>Ghost Recon tools information sharing and on the fly data

all while..
>Using caseless ammo powered by internal battery packs shot from a rail gun with adjustable output so you basicly have a sniper or a SMG right in ur hands.
The only thing that will vary is mag and barrel size/ mods
>>
>>32318375
Fuck off naratuo, The only fucking way this will ever happen is if cern finds out that dark energy is really some magic we can morph and control. Then bullets are moot and MAYBE swords will come back. and everyone will dress alll gay and be all final fanta-c bullshit.
>>
>>32318413
I dont think it will ever happen and i think its dumb but that is the hypothetical scenario in which melee would be advantageous.
>>
>>32318432
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8BzXING-A
>>
>>32318375
dodging is not ever going to be possible

if you are hell bent on advocating melee is the future you need to figure out some way to close the gap quickly and enough armor to survive doing so
>>
>>32318458
Thats literally impossible. Staying at range of a target is always advantageous unless you can magically teleport.
>>
A return to full-power cartridges to keep up with advancements in armor and perhaps powered exoskellington / robotic tech
>>
File: Old_Snake.jpg (133KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Old_Snake.jpg
133KB, 1024x576px
>>32312228

Forget cybernetics - I wanna know how and when we're gonna develop real OctoCamo
>>
>>32312186
kek. It's literally the opposite. People will realize that pistol load small caliber is a meme and that they can get all of the anti-vest performance out of a normal-sized pistol bullet with a penetrator, therefore negating the necessity for two kinds of ammo to be effective.
>>
>>32312291
it will be if the person can move 20,001 fps
>>
>>32312166
Removal of human error by replacing combatants with drones and mechanical infantry.
That's still a long way off though.
>>
>>32312166
Thermal explosives that det on impact .
This coupled with a "point and shoot" self correcting ammunition.

On a squad level there will be Thermal/night-vision/and motion detection built in HUD,
All of whcih is shared in real time with the unit and the brass.

Other things we are likely to see are soft "gel " body armor that absorb the impact of conventional rounds and "boomerang" style hud information locating shooter signatures.( I.e general area that the unit is taking fire from. )
>>
>>32312229
>32312229
Photobashing. Layer a bunch of chopped up photos with elements you like over each other to make a composite that kind of resembles your intended product, then paint over it.
>>
I think people might start making wrist guns but they'll probably be banned everywhere because people will shoot their hands off and sue the manufacturer and because the only practical purpose is to conceal in your jacket. We'll probably also get personal laser/energy guns but they'll only sting live targets at best. They'll probably just be used in construction. As for the people saying we'll get personal compact railguns, that is is literally physically impossible.
>>
>>32312363
>falling for the bait this hard
>>
>>32312639
W-what is that?
>>
>>32312166
A few hundred more AR/AK variants.
Technological advancement of weapons will be just as disappointingly slow and unsatisfying as any other field.
>>
>>32320474
TKB-022PM
>>
>>32312166
Realistically speaking? Probably harder hitting guns in a smaller/lighter package.
>>
>>32312228
That's retarded, they would just make cyber body mods that can use guns to account for the speed.
>>
File: Smart Pistol Mk6.jpg (850KB, 1920x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Smart Pistol Mk6.jpg
850KB, 1920x1600px
Self-guiding pistol-caliber ammo.
>>
>>32312239
No cases
>>
File: 1471224383065.jpg (333KB, 1280x989px) Image search: [Google]
1471224383065.jpg
333KB, 1280x989px
>>32312166
>>
File: 1480755252091.jpg (109KB, 646x774px) Image search: [Google]
1480755252091.jpg
109KB, 646x774px
>you will never live long enough to see how weapons and wars are fought in 100 or 200 years from now
>>
File: swat_bot_01_AB.jpg (70KB, 452x640px) Image search: [Google]
swat_bot_01_AB.jpg
70KB, 452x640px
>>32312166
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBC8IFWC1P0

This looks like the future to me: fire-control systems and optics that will make everyone on the battlefield into a sharpshooter. It will be like the jump from archers to musketeers, now you can have every conscript be a Simo Häyhä for no training time and an increasingly small cost.

Once the bipedal and quadrupedal robots such as something based on the Atlas and Big Dog projects are deployed, humans will only be present on the battlefield as handlers, if that. I don't forsee any significant changes in firearms themselves, all the way up until mass-produced personal EM weapons, which will be the new smokeless powder.
>>
>>32319562
Yeah, but there goes the extra range. You gotta remember 5.7mm has that over normal pistol rounds. Plus, if body armor is a factor, it's only going to be the penetrator that makes its way through.
>>
>>32312186
I don't think it'll get quite that small. I can certainly imagine something 60-75% as powerful as 5.56 with more aerodynamic bullets though. Like 5.56 FARBL but smaller caliber
>>
>>32322476
If you need extra range, you should have brought a real rifle. If body armor is a factor, then it's equivalent. If there isn't, standard pistol ammo is superior.
>>
>>32312239
Fewer jams cause around 40% of Jams are related to the casing
>>
>>32322851
Got a source for that? It sounds reasonable but I'd like to learn more
>>
>>32316237
No. it's a pike. Maybe even a trident without the barbs.
>>
File: IMG_7211.png (3MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7211.png
3MB, 750x1334px
>>32320030
Kek
>>
>>32312234
I ask myself this every time a fist fight breaks out in the matrix, reloaded was pretty bad about this all.
>>
My 2¢
Near future:
Improved (cheap) optics.
Maybe bullpups becoming a real thing rather than a meme.

Not so distant future:
Flight controlled bullets
Maybe directly linking optics to the shooter (either a heads up or cybernetic implants)

On the horizon:
Practical functioning rail guns. The projectiles for this can either be solid or fluid (superheated plasma).

Things like chemical improvements (better gunpowders) will always exist and slowly be created and adopted.
Ceaseless ammo has been around for as long as cartridges and the initial issues still exist. While they eliminate one source of malfunction (case extraction) they make another much, much worse (duds / failure to fires). That and they are much weaker compared to traditional cased ammo. Much chemical innovation still needs to occur before they can become practical.
>>
>>32312229
Garbage
>>
In the immediate future like next few years.
I think there is going to be a backlash to having accessory and picitiny rails on every handgun that's getting produced. Might just be the compact and sub compacts.
Solid Copper and brass projectiles are going to become more common. Polymer bullets I'm not sure are going to catch on aside from with people that swear by "I need as many 9mm as I can possibly load and carry" types of guys. I could be wrong about that because leads going to get phased out largely in favor of copper/brass/polymer, polymer will be for poorer people and suck, copper for richer people. Polymer will be sintered with something else for cost savings but will probably be too frangible for most people to use for anything besides target practice. Only push for caseless ammo will be to cut down brass cost to use for bullets so I think polymer cases will probably get marketed quite a bit as an alternative but probably won't work well until a lot more research goes into making something that's more like brass in usage behavior.

Basically more of the same for everything only changes will be mostly superficial marketing hyper specialized things toward certain tactical scenario stuff with swings back toward well rounded things after people figure out that specific scenario rarely happen and is difficult to set up working that way so one disaster later.

Most normies are going to want to introduce 'less lethal' weaponry because violence is bad but it won't catch on after wasting hundreds of millions of dollars because they have too much potential to be used as torture devices because people are a lot more violent and cruel than they think a lot of the time it's just being lethal that doesn't sit well with their feelings.
>>
>>32320030
the projectile will always move faster because it weighs less, if it was possible to make a suit move 20kfps you could make a projectile move much faster
>>
>>32318468
You do realize he was talking about trying to make melee work right? How do you intend on punching someone from range?
>>
>>32323551
Solid brass or copper projectiles predate swaged lead core projectiles. The original design of the 8mm lebel used a milled brass projectile.

The issue with solid projectiles is the cost to produce them since they either have to be cast or milled. Casting leads to slight fluctuations in bullet size which effect consistency in ammo. Milled take longer to make per bullet so cost more per bullet yet are extremely consistent.

I think we will see lead phased out as the primary core material do to people screaming "muh lead poisoning." My guess it will be replaced by steel initially because it's relatively cheap and plentiful for a metal. Later on we may see compressed carbon as a core material.
>>
>>32318497
>USA has to retool to turn up production of AP 30-06
>Japan has to retool to make AP 7.7
>UK has to retool to bring back AP .303
>Switzerland has to retool to produce AP 7.5

>Russia doesn't have to retool a damn thing since they haven't stopped making AP 7.62x54r since 1899
>>
>>32318296
>gradual transition to heavy, subsonic rounds like 300 BLK because no one gives a shit about engagements at distances over 500m
You'll be more likely to see the widespread adoption of a long-range general purpose round than a wholesale shift to something like .300 BLK.
>>
>>32323689
>meanwhile 7.62x51 NATO never stopped being produced making you look like a retard
>>
>>32312166
>GUYS I GOT IT
BELTED
BRICKS
OF AMMO
no more magazines, you can just lego together a bunch of cartridges in a magazine shape, and stick it in the magwell!
>always see how much ammo you have
>brick don't 'break' it just gets all floppy and turns into a belt
If you need the protection of a conventional magazine, you can have one! but now, its pretty much just a box, instead of feedlips, follower and mag spring, its just a retaining leaf spring on an inside wall
>>
Near Future:
>Improved optics
>Lighter, stronger polymers
>3-d printed weapons are more mainstream
>Ability to fire multiple calibers with having to change bolt/barrel

Intermediate Future
>Flight controlled weapons
>Direct HUD
>ID-locked weapons
>Miniaturized artillery
>Direct energy weapons

Distant Future
>Rail guns
>AI-controlled weapons
>>
>>32312166
Everything we have now but ligther and more cheap. Like internally suppressed weapons as the norm, or NVGs for every soldier.
>>
File: beretta90two.jpg (153KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
beretta90two.jpg
153KB, 956x619px
>>32312166
Cool futuristic angles on the same guns we've been shooting for 40-50 years.
>>
File: caliberfriends.png (34KB, 450x325px) Image search: [Google]
caliberfriends.png
34KB, 450x325px
>>32312166
We've reached the apex of gun designs for cased ammunition. I hope I'm wrong about that, but it seems like everything is a variation of a established design. Everything has stagnated with cased ammunition.
>>
File: 4Ul7VNQ.jpg (18KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
4Ul7VNQ.jpg
18KB, 600x450px
>>32320447
>As for the people saying we'll get personal compact railguns, that is is literally physically impossible.

As physically impossible as EM Drive, right?
>>
>>32320447
Em drive
>t.fedora owner
>>
File: vag 73 gerasimenko.jpg (57KB, 750x667px) Image search: [Google]
vag 73 gerasimenko.jpg
57KB, 750x667px
Double stack magazines
>>
>>32318365
This is the future I choose.
>>
>>32318365
But you can already fuck your guns if you put a little effort into it.
>>
>>32312166
>aimbots
>aimbots
>more aimbots
>aimbots with guided bullets
>did i mention aimbots?
>>
>>32325988
Double double stack magazines.
>>
>>32320930
Kill yourself and anyone who used that in Titanfall 1 and or 2.
>>
File: 191921-7024-clone-trooper.jpg (31KB, 630x640px) Image search: [Google]
191921-7024-clone-trooper.jpg
31KB, 630x640px
>>32320030
>SUPER BATTLE DROIDS!

>>32320447
>WATCH OUT FOR THOSE WRIST ROCKETS
>>
File: DESTROY.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
DESTROY.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>32312166
>>32312190
>>32318395
>>32312300
>>32312466
>>32313790

Actually this is all pleb shit and you dont understand that neither lasers nor railguns (or coilguns) have what it takes to be reliable truly effective weapons above what we already have (even if the energy needs were supplied, even if the magic superconducting metals were achieved)

PLASMA
WEAPONS

Scientists have discovered how to make plasma form and maintain its own magnetic bottle.
> Thats how you make a weaponized plasma projectile
> The kind you see in games and movies.

t-minus 10 years after they get the power supply solved we have man-portable and mounted plasma cannons

What Can This Do you may ask?

> Consider the effect of the E-Web blaster cannon from star wars.
> Except it has infinite ammunition cheat code, because the projectile is just air captured from the existing environment

These would be the equivalent of incendiary high explosive projectiles.
> Destroys scenery and sets it on fire.
> You have no cover to hide behind, if you take cover they'll just blow that shit away and might even crush you under it.
> They have this on tap, they can just keep obliterating every last thing you can hide behind, and artillery strikes will probably still be a thing anyway
> mfw ARTILLERY plasma blows away entire areas like thermobarics
> Take an indirect hit and you're ON FIRE
> Take a direct hit from a weaker shot and you're ON FIRE MOTHERFUCKER

---

In the mean time have this fun suggestion for Firearms development:

> SS190 straight walled case, shoots a 7mm projectile. Or a cut down 223 case firing 7.62mm projectile.
> Projectile is Supercavitating design causing extreme wounding as a result, carves a 14mm wound channel through the person and then blows a 20mm size hole out the back.
> Fits in a pistol, maybe even the Five Seven.
> Magazine is Double Stack for most of the pistol grip, but becomes Quad Stack brick below that.
> 40-90 rounds capacity.

sounds like a cyberpunk pistol to me
>>
File: Staff_Weapon_Fire.jpg (27KB, 505x480px) Image search: [Google]
Staff_Weapon_Fire.jpg
27KB, 505x480px
>>32327886
pic related

> t. plasma weapon

although it seems like a more advanced technology to us, I seriously think we're going to get This before we really get any of the other stuff working right.

> except without the accuracy problems of the staff weapons in the show
> why the fuck they never took them apart and made gun versions...
>>
>>32327886
You play too much fallout
>>
File: yeah but-.png (12KB, 599x114px) Image search: [Google]
yeah but-.png
12KB, 599x114px
>>32327982

im fully aware of the stuff people are talking about here on the thread

and this is the horse im betting on

> Although we have alot of good ideas floating here none of them are too much more effective than what we already have.

also because of corporatism, profits and contracts, as well as rigid patents and laws

> its unlikely the ground warfare portion of military tech is going to improve much

I mean we could invent a good ideal round for shooting out of pistols and carbines, like the best 5.7 that we can possibly make

but like some other awesome things (ahem, 9x25 dillon) they did not take off, and they could sit on the shelf for 25 years as obscure unobtanium.

> fallout really?
> im pissing all over lasers

Plasma weapons is the kinda shit that would take off immediately, major military advantage on the ground and possibly even from air cavalry too.

> it would get miniaturized quickly, its just too damn effective
>>
Although the common idea for plasma based rifle design, fallout comes to mind, here's a more realist iteration of hat they'd look like:

This design is a magazine fed, full-auto capable design that fires canisters of super-heated plasma that gets launched through a series of mag coils at 800 RPM. Most effective at short-to-mid ranges due to the fact tha tthe plasma dissipates quickly after 60 meters and loses effectiveness quickly after that.
>>
>>32312166

Grabbing.
>>
>>32320474
What this guy said>>32320790. It's a simple weapon, long stroke piston, that uses a vertical sliding bolt and a U shaped extractor to feed it. The body is made of Bakelite, and it uses a full length kalash barrel. Was made for vehicle crewd and uses a sealed system. It was scrapped by the societ officerd because they saw it as """too foreign"""
>>
File: josh-powers-d514-mi-smg-hi-3.jpg (178KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
josh-powers-d514-mi-smg-hi-3.jpg
178KB, 1600x1200px
>>32328252

i always thought the sling the smg had was a cool idea, using two tension straps as a stock or however its supposed to work
>>
>>32327044
Git gud.
>>
I imagine the operational part of weapons will become so small and compact that guns in the future will essentially a small black box attached to some sort of stock and trigger mechanism. They would probably be so mundane that we wouldn't recognize them as weapons

Basically a 22 zipgun attached to a stock firing at super high rates of fire using micro ammunition.
>>
>>32327886
Problem is plasma is super hot, would probably make the magnets containing it go critical, breaking containment.

>ignoring the fact that all you'd need is a powerful magnetic field to pull plasma out of containment.

>ignoring the fact that the heat, the most weaponizable part of plasma, quickly disperses in atmosphere, giving you maybe 40 feet of range.

>ignoring that plasma would pretty much immediately shut your nervous system down should you come into contact with it.

>ignoring all of the UN diplomats who would call it inhumane and make it a war crime because plasma is blinding.

Railguns/coilguns are the future. Maybe light gas. Maybe even using plasma to propel a projectile would work. Hydrogen+ ions have less quantum mass than hydrogen, making it possible to increase the output of light gas weaponry.
>>
>>32328079
Plasma is literally shit why
>>
>>32328252
-> >>32329870
>>
>>32323526
hearty keks have been had
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 600x309px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 600x309px
>>32323512
>ceaseless ammo
>>
>>32330151
And I realise, 12 hours later, that my phone is a dick and trolled me with its damn autocorrect.
>>
gunpowder is a really nice way to make things move quickly
I don't see us moving away from chemical based small arms until at least a decade after 80% of cars are full electric
>>
>>32327974
Fuck, even retrofitting them to be shoulder launched would be superior.
>>
File: elysium chemrail.webm (2MB, 714x358px) Image search: [Google]
elysium chemrail.webm
2MB, 714x358px
I don't give a fuck, gimmie that chemrail
>>
File: header.jpg (57KB, 995x225px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
57KB, 995x225px
>>32325988
tandem magazines
>>
File: 1481761244777 (1).webm (507KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481761244777 (1).webm
507KB, 1280x720px
>>32312166
Here's a question. Aside from typical questions of ejection or whatever, could one switch between traditional ammo and cased telescoped ammo in the future? I'd imagine most guns seal with the casing, not the bullet itself. Somehow, the exact headspacing and mechanics thereof have slipped by me. Especially at 5 in the morning.
>>
>>32312166
It's called humans will functionally be replaced by AI by 2040.
>>
File: 1457338280813.jpg (37KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
1457338280813.jpg
37KB, 500x598px
>>32312166
I'm sure I'm late to the party on this, but I've just realized that OP's pic is not, in fact, a game I can look forward to trying out.
>>
>>32312166
nothing we can fathom right now, what ever it is its gonna be cheap, reliable and nothing special, no sci-fi suots or exos.
>>
>you will never be an ODST
>>
One of these days robots will only be fighting wars and the goal of wach side is to fight to get to the human robot operators. Then one day BAM! Robot overlords
>>
>>32320939
lol good way to accidentally kill someone
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vgK2x3gzGu
>>
>>32332880
ODST was by far the most atmospheric game.
>>
>>32328252
sounds fucking useless for everything except maybe room clearing. seriously 60meters is close as fuck. On army rifle qual range the nearest target is 50meter and the furthest is 300
>>
File: latest-2.jpg (52KB, 595x324px) Image search: [Google]
latest-2.jpg
52KB, 595x324px
>>32336724
Considering plasma is used to cut through thick steel, the effectiveness is still considerable at range, and there were models designed for further ranges.

The doctrine of the military this rifle is designed for revolives around CQB with high power plasma, and drones to close the gap. Their military instalations are designed around this as well. Lots of corners and relatively contained room's.

Alternatively, there do exist railguns that are man portable, though they require a considerable spool-up time to generate the energy needed, so aren't good for close quarters, bust are great at range.
Pic related
>>
>>32336724
I did forget to mention 60m is the optimal range where the plasma is most effective, however it can shoot well past that and still be effective. The max effective range if I recall correctly was around 200m.
>>
>>32337612
Plasma's ability to cut through steel has no bearing on range kek

Become acquainted with physics friend
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.