[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Next gun in NY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: tikka_t3_compact_tactical_rifle.png (112KB, 1600x269px) Image search: [Google]
tikka_t3_compact_tactical_rifle.png
112KB, 1600x269px
I really want to get another gun. I dont really need it honestly, probably would be wise not to, but shit, I want another gun. I have an sks which is fun and cheap enough, and a marlin 70 which i kinda dislike because of the tube magazine but its fun to plink with the scope I have on it. The SKS gets waaay more of my attention, and I love it to death - but I kind of want to get something more accurate and perhaps with a bit more punch.

That all being said, Im not really sure what to get. If they were legal here in the Peoples Democratic Free Republic of New York, I would get myself a super VEPR in .308. Really is up my alley, idk why but that gun really speaks to me. Unfortunately they are banned here because of the thumbhole grips - and the "hunter" stock is impossible to find now. The gun also has barrel ports which may or may not be considered a "muzzle device" depending which government hotline worker you speak to, so no FFL will import them because they dont want to get fucked trying to determine the law for the government.

Since my semi auto options are severely limited, I started looking into bolt guns. However, I DO NOT want some hunk of shit like a mosin. Sure, they are ok - but im not going to drop $250 on a commie gun that isnt even all that great. If im going to get a bolt gun, it needs to be fucking tits. So here is where Im looking for some pointers.

Right now, I've been seeing a lot of good stuff about a Tikka TX3 in .308. 1 MOA right out of the box, really cant find a single bad note about them. The downside is that the variant I want is going to cost just over $1000 (pic related). I would also need to buy a scope for it, which Im assuming will cost me at the very least a few hundred more - I dont know shit about scope but I would want something to match the quality of the rifle rather than buying something "meh" and always yearning to drop even more on another scope in the end.

>TLDR suggest a rifle thats NY legal and not shit
>>
File: enfields.jpg (123KB, 982x524px) Image search: [Google]
enfields.jpg
123KB, 982x524px
Bump because I wanna scratch this itch

>pic related what the fudd at the local range things I should buy
>>
One more bump hopefully someone can shoot me some suggestions on what fun to buy so i dont have to retype all this shit tomorrow
>>
>>32309344
new york needs a electoral vote like system since we don't get shit for representation.
you can check out the browning bar the hunting model. also garands the cmp store is within a drive to ohio you can go select one yourself.
the tikka is an excellent and beautiful gun.if you want to spend around 2k for a rifle I would highy suggest a colt sauer the action is unlike any ive ever felt.
>>
Bump for you plus what part do you live in. I'm in the 607
>>
From what I've heard, you get what you pay for with a Tikka. You can pay less for a Savage or something (that's what I did, my 10fp-sr was reasonably priced) and it will be quite serviceable, though you probably can't expect to be hitting quarters at 500 yards or whatever.

I think you're on the right track with .308, you just need to decide how much this new rifle is worth to you.
>>
>>32309685

Not really tryna spend more than 1k on a rifle and even that's probably pushing it. The Tikka seems really sweet since its supposed to be dumb accurate right out of the box and the bolt can be moved with your pinky. Trigger seems tits too based on the vids i watched - again theres absolutely nothing bad except the price but for a 1moa garantee i cant be mad i guess.

>>32309708
Thanks bro. Im out on eastern long island (631). We get a lot of shit for being so close to the city and rightfully so because the western half of LI is dogshit. Where i am it is still quite nice with lots of woods and nature. Only a matter of time though before that gets ruined sadly.

>>32309736
Ill have to look into that rifle. Im just getting started on this whole research but im pretty solid on wanting a .308 rifle. Decent round thats mega common and perhaps one day i might decide to start reloading - Ive had my guns for a couple of years but only recently have i started making weekly range trips. Really enjoying myself but it would be nice to branch out into something different as far as shooting goes. As i think I mentioned, i kind of want my bolt gun to be fucking tits which is why i have such a Tikka hardon right now. Id honestly prefer a semiauto but being this is NY its just not realistic. To make up for my sadness over this fact, buying a bolt gun that will never fail to satisfy me in performance seems to be the answer. I cant buy a mosin - because even though i will have great fun with it - it wont satisfy my itch. Im cautious about buying a "good" rifle for this same reason. I think knowing myself it may be best to just bite the bullet and buy once, cry once, hardon forever.

Thanks for the help guys hugely appreciate it. If anyone else has suggestions please let me know. Also does anyone have some recommendations on glass? What to look for and what to avoid and what to spend? Id want something practical, and between "good" and "great" so i wont regret buying it.
>>
>>32309927
my tikka t3 featherlight came without a scope so you might want to take that into consideration
>>
File: m39pair[1].jpg (26KB, 973x362px) Image search: [Google]
m39pair[1].jpg
26KB, 973x362px
Im in a similar situation

In the 585, got a SKS, got a 10/22.

I went the mosin route but got a nice Finnish M39 and it shoots and looks amazing.
Eventually I want to get something worth putting a scope on but it will do me for now.

Hopefully something will change about the SAFE act with emperor trump and I can finally just get a goddamn AR or AK like a normal American.
>>
>>32310070

Thats exactly why I kinda dont want to get a mosin or something milsurp. I know i would love it, especially for the history and character of the rifle. But in the end im STILL going to want something really nice that I can put a scope on. It would just be kicking the can down the road.

You hit the nail on the head though. I would fucking love to build a really nice AR like any other warm blooded american but us NYers are stuck getting shafted it seems. I just cant bring myself to build one thats neutered with that gay ass compliant stock or pinned magazine.

>>32310013

How do you like it? Im looking at the tikka T3X's which have small differences but overall im pretty sure they share the same performance. Are you happy with it? Pros and cons? Teach me everything lol. Also im aware id have to shell out hundreds ontop for a scope - which is fine. My ~$1,000 limit is for the rifle only, maybe looking to spend a few hundred on a scope. Again i dont know a thing about scopes so any info there is appreciated as well.

So yeah not to stray from the topic but as far as shooting my SKS goes, im a really big fan of the techsites. You get used to spending the extra 10 seconds with a screwdriver removing the sight and ive had no issues with losing my zero. Just felt i should be contributing something back...
>>
>>32309927
.308 itself isn't exactly cheap, another reason I didn't shell out for a top shelf rifle is that if I ever want to fire some filthy surplus 7.62x51, the Savage 10fp-sr is specifically designed to accommodate that and the price is such that I don't feel I'm smearing dog shit all over a brand new Cadillac. And just in a more general sense, it allows me to worry a little less about wear and tear. I think this is why I have such a huge stiffy for totally unmodified milsurp -- knowing that whatever might happen to my rifle, there are millions, or at least hundreds of thousands of them floating around in the world.

As for glass, I've still yet to buy some for my .308 but I hear a lot of praise for Nikon, especially their mid- and upper-range lines.
>>
>>32310124
it is a beautiful and light gun the action is very smooth. i wish i had bought mine in .308 or 30.06 since 243 is always hard to find around me. i can stack ammo almost right on top of each other at 100 yards with factory loads.
>>
>>32309927
If you dont mind 1k to slightly more there is some fn 308 semi in the Albany area gun stores forget what it was called but nice for a safe rifle
>>
>>32310259

Definitely understand where youre coming from. However with the .308 i wouldnt mind buying good ammo for it since i already have my .22 and my SKS for fucktoy rifles. Plus as i mentioned i could potentially expand my shooting hobby into reloading as well which would lower my .308 costs in the longterm. Still going to look into that savage though because spending 1k on a rifle alone before glass is going to hurt.

Ive also heard great things about nikon scopes - i actually have one on my marlin 70 thats made specifically for .22lr and its awesome.

>>32310461
Exactly what i expected to hear lol. More reason for me to want to buy one, especially in .308. Id love to be able to shoot a quarter at 200 yards all day.

>>32312265
Any idea what it might be? I tried searching some keywords but cant find anything that looks legal in NY.

Thanks again guys. As always more suggestions are welcomed and appreciated the more input the better.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.