[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nuke Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 54

File: GettyImages-472751856-1280x720.jpg (219KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-472751856-1280x720.jpg
219KB, 1280x720px
Anything and everything nuclear goes here.
To start us off, what would a nuclear war between China and the US look like? Who would "win"? Its not at all very likely, but humor me

paging Oppenheimer for this one
>>
>>32305960
>paging Oppenheimer for this one
His appearances are more infrequent than ever but he did this thread a few years back on what it might look like.
http://desuarchive.org/k/thread/19007163
>>
>>32305960
>what would a nuclear war between China and the US look like? Who would "win"?

Precipitating crisis.
US First Strike
Chinese response
US counter.

US wins.
>>
the weapons from the usa actually go off as intended

the chink shit works like, well, chink shit.
>>
>>32307675
How effective would the Chinese counter attack be? Would most of their missiles be destroyed before they lift off? What about their SSBNs?
>>
>>32307778
This. I live on the east coast in a meh small city. Would I have to go live innawoods?
Plz say yes
>>
>>32307778
>How effective would the Chinese counter attack be?
Good chance of a small number of warheads would make it to the US.

>Would most of their missiles be destroyed before they lift off?
Probably

>What about their SSBNs?
Not a serious threat currently.
In a crisis, they would likely be tailed by US SSNs and sunk in concert with the preemptive strike.
>>
>>32307795
>Would I have to go live innawoods?
Outlook not so good.
>>
>>32307807

the U.S navy has a really hard time detecting chinese subs, this wont happen.
>>
>>32307836
>the U.S navy has a really hard time detecting chinese subs, this wont happen.

Made me snicker a little.
>>
>>32305960
China becomes an irradiated shithole with it's only economic centers devastated. Other SEA counties fill in the void notably Vietnam and Indonesia.

A successful blow to the US destabilizes the world.
>>
File: Cow is concerned....png (54KB, 413x414px) Image search: [Google]
Cow is concerned....png
54KB, 413x414px
>>32307815
I pretty much know I'm fucked at least tangentially on the west coast. I live near Los Angeles, between attacking the port of LA or the military facilities at San Diego or Edwards Air Force Base, at the very minimum I'm probably getting fucked by fallout if nukes start flying.
>>
>>32307836
two yen deposited in your account, comrade
>>
>>32307807
I live 15 miles outside of Chicago. Would I be evaporated?
>>
>>32308117
>I live 15 miles outside of Chicago. Would I be evaporated?
No. Depending on the wind that day, fallout may be a concern.

>>32307938
Yes Fallout is your major concern.
>>
>>32308242
>Fallout is your major concern.
Tell us again how to prep for that.
>>
>>32308267
Fallout is a dust.
Sealing up cracks and openings in your home, staying in a basement or interior room.
Imagine having to live in your downstairs bathroom for a few days/weeks.
Everything you might want to have, bring it.
>>
>>32308294
What is the average American non military fag supposed/expected to do after the bombs fall? Besides survive, obviously. Am I automatically drafted?
>>
>>32308318
>What is the average American non military fag supposed/expected to do after the bombs fall?
Two options:
1) Whatever you want.
2) Whatever the local military authority tells you to do.

Phil up there will opt for 1.
>>
>>32308318
I'd imagine a lot will depend on how badly your immediate area gets hit and whether fallout is affecting it or not.

Assuming your city doesn't get hit, I'd figure life will continue to go on as usual but with major caveats. If you have any strategic resources/factories nearby, those may be placed under military control depending on what they're producing. Rationing may go into effect depending on how badly the humanitarian crisis becomes after the attacks and how big a demand is for material or food.

If you have a lot of open space like in the high desert or unused residential quality land like some of the areas in detroit (assuming it isn't hit), it's possible you could see the development of temporary housing or refugee camps to house survivors form harder hit cities. A lot would depend on just how pervasive the attacks are and how many cities were actually hit.
>>
File: 1477372957001.jpg (123KB, 831x639px) Image search: [Google]
1477372957001.jpg
123KB, 831x639px
>>32308242
>>32308294
>>32308367

What are your actual academic and professional credentials?

The infants on here seem to think you have credibility..
>>
>>32308294

can chinese liquid fueled ICBMs stay at ready to fire condition indefinately or are they limited in how long they can leave their missiles fueled like some early liquid fueled missiles?
>>
Would China go nuclear over Donald Trump attempting to force and acknowledge a two state situation with Taiwan and China?
>>
>>32308405
I believe they are limited.
>>
>>32308400
>I wasnt here when he got doxxed.

Stick around new guy. You might learn something.
>>
>>32307836
This

I've lurked in a couple of Chinese sites and have agreed with a couple of internet experts that America will have a very hard time finding Chinese subs especially in their newly acquired South China Sea Bastion.
>>
>>32308427
>Would China go nuclear over Donald Trump attempting to force and acknowledge a two state situation with Taiwan and China?
It would vex them greatly, but would not lead to a direct nuclear war.
Thats not really the role of their nuclear arsenal.
>>
>>32308428
I recall reading that the Titan rockets' liquid fuels were absolute nightmares to work with. Granted that was decades old tech compared to today, but wasn't one of the major reasons for shifting to solid fuel birds was because you couldn't keep those rockets fueled for more than a day or two before the caustic oxidizers would basically eat the rocket from inside out?
>>
>>32308367
Lack or loss of manpower wouldn't require extra conscripted fighting age males? I kind of find that hard to believe, even if it was just the reserves or national guard directing traffic or something.
>>
File: 7f4.png (291KB, 680x371px) Image search: [Google]
7f4.png
291KB, 680x371px
>>32308370
>nuking Detroit

Why fucking bother?
>>
>>32308535
Like I said earlier, a lot would depend on the scope of the attack. Detroit isn't close to the manufacturing powerhouse it once was, but cars are still produced there, there's still a bunch of industrial infrastructure there, it's a major population center and it does have symbolic significance as the "Home of America's Auto Industry" if nothing else.
>>
>>32308528
>Lack or loss of manpower wouldn't require extra conscripted fighting age males? I kind of find that hard to believe, even if it was just the reserves or national guard directing traffic or something.
Not enough time and resources to draft and train conscripts. Better to dance with who bring you and work with local law enforcement.

Feel free to volunteer, however.

>>32308519
The oxidizer was very poisonous. The Titan could remain fueled for a relatively extended period of time.
Russian/Soviets also had some liquid fueled systems in the same manner.
>>
>>32308594
That makes sense.
Also, I'm a defense contractor so I'd be much more useful in front of a computer than with a rifle unfortunately. One can dream though.
>>
Are deep-sea (below current normal missile operating depths) SLBMs a thing thats currently being investigated?

In the late 90s the Russian equivilent of Popular Mechanics discussed a project for a new generation of Russian SLBM that would be launched from much deeper depths than Russia's current SLBM arsenal. Obviously this was never brought to working order, but is this something that has been proposed prior to or at all after?

What sort of advantages are there? Subs being much more difficult to track?
>>
>>32307836
The U.S. Navy has a hard time detecting its own subs, so...
>>
>>32308755
Russia chased away a Virginia when it was snooping around the Rostov on don submarine. It was an anti sub Project 20381 corvette.
>>
>>32308789
>Russia chased away a Virginia when it was snooping around the Rostov on don submarine. It was an anti sub Project 20381 corvette.
Yup. Just like that time the Russian jet made all those sailors quit...
>>
>>32308800
Or when Russians were seen on Crimea, kek.
>>
Anyone know how the US would use tactical nukes in the cold war and how the US would use tactical nukes in the modern day?
>>
File: nigger_fallout.jpg (128KB, 716x626px) Image search: [Google]
nigger_fallout.jpg
128KB, 716x626px
>>32308535
>>
>>32308267
Gas mask, potassium iodide pills for the first few weeks to prevent I-131 thyroid death/cancer.
A chem suit for excursions after a month or two. a geiger counter. Assume that you can't eat the local food chain if fallout is present.
plastic sheeting and tape will be your friend. 3-10ft of concrete shelter for the first month or so. Even a basement with three feet around the windows is better than nothing.

Unless you don't mind getting cancer in 10-20 years. If you are an old fart, you can operate knowing that you are likely to die or old age or fighting knowing the radiation will get ya later than sooner.
>>
>>32307836
Someone is working hard for their garlic clover today
>>
>>32308594
I live by USF, aprox 15 miles north of Mac Dill AFB. How owned am I?
>>
>>32309442
Very owned.
>>
File: falloutsheltersign2.jpg (35KB, 517x717px) Image search: [Google]
falloutsheltersign2.jpg
35KB, 517x717px
How about we discuss the fucking Dead Hand system Russia has:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

Talk about some scary stuff.

>Even if struck first with most of the commanders dead, the system will automatically launch ICBMs almost completely automatically. Special ICBMs with radio transmitters will fly over Russia broadcasting encrypted orders nationwide to ground silos to initiate attacks.
>>
>>32308981
There was several types of tactical nukes, they would most likely be used on concentrated troop or armor formations to bog down a Warsaw Pact advance into western europe. Now they would be used to attack hardened command centers on B-61 Mod 12's, since they're extremely accurate.
>>
>>32309460
Systema Perimetr (Dead Hand) is an overblown threat, the US has a similar system. Perimetr isn't a completely automatic system, there is always someone who physically launches.
>>
>>32308367
>Phil up there will opt for 1.
>loosen my tie and look mean but stay silent

We don't need to have this conversation all over again.

I'll just say I think a lot of your assumptions about the way America works were drawn from assumptions made in the 1950's and leave it at that.
>>
>>32309488
I'm gratified you're still here, and regard you as a pillar of our dysfunctional little online /k/ommunity.

I may as well go on record with that as well.
>>
>>32309460
http://russianforces.org/blog/2006/04/dr_strangelove_meets_reality.shtml
>>
>>32309532
Do you own any guns Op? Or are you here mainly just to school retards about Nuclear weapons?
>>
>>32309488
>1950's
There have been exercises and studies in the past decade. Citizens will be reliant on government forces post attack and will largely fall in line.
It may not be democratic, but it will be what happens.
>>
>>32309555
I own several guns.
PTR
AR
PS90
FN TPS
FNP .40
S&W 5906
XD 9mm

I found this place looking for AR information. A post on arfcom talked about this place and...
>>
>>32309532
>Operation Fullback
I should know what that is but I don't, offhand. Google turns up nothing.

At any rate, New Orleans is not typical of America, and sure as hell is not typical of *rural* America. We are not a high trust civil society any more, unfortunately.

>>32309589
In the cities, maybe. Performance in the country will rely on whether or not Uncle Sam asks us for our help in an hour of crisis.... or shows up and goes full Stasi on people saying you WILL load that grain up and you WILL transport it and you WILL accept this IOU because of NATIONAL SECURITY AND I HAVE A MACHINE GUN.

I don't know if you noticed, but the entire country is still frighteningly on edge.

You have a frighteningly authoritarian streak, and I am afraid your workplace experience has partially divorced you from the real world.

I am sorry about your good friend in New Orleans, and I formally apologize for insulting his memory. It was 3:00AM here and I was in my cups and I have felt vaguely guilty about it ever since.

>>32309616
I came here eight years ago looking for info on a particular X-Files episode and found /x/. /k/ followed fairly rapidly. 4chan has a way of sucking you in and adhering to one.
>>
>>32309616
Pretty good collection
>>
File: anchorage alaska.jpg (329KB, 1300x1022px) Image search: [Google]
anchorage alaska.jpg
329KB, 1300x1022px
So assuming Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska gets nuked in an initial exchange, and I live somewhere inside the red circle, just how fucked will I be?
>>
>>32309449
God damnit.
>>
>>32309616
Glad you didn't leave permanently. How do you feel about the election?

I had a dream about sons of bitches. Just a dream.
>>
File: 中国特战突击队老山.jpg (83KB, 736x480px) Image search: [Google]
中国特战突击队老山.jpg
83KB, 736x480px
>>32305960
I have a little bit of knowledge about this.

US has a much larger nuclear arsenal.

China has it as a point of policy (it's written into formal doctrine) to never launch a nuclear first-strike, so we can assume the US would do this if this is even a scenario.

US first strike would decapitate CCP leadership in Beijing.

PLARF (they handle most ICBM stuff) knows this, and has a lot of sneaky shit it would probably deploy -- subs, ICBM launcers on railed tracks in hidden tunnels, etc etc.

US would suffer significant casualties in the NE urban corridor and on the west coast, and the sitting government probably face an immediate coup and/or electoral replacement by the surviving population and state security infrastructure.

CCP upper leadership would basically be gone, as would much of the chinese industrial NE/East coast, but their population would be furious at the US and gladly fight on in a war of attrition.

The US would lose the war of public opinion. and face strong public pressure to back down.

tl;dr-- this would never happen

enjoy some 1980s PLA SOF
>>
>>32309640
>or shows up and goes full Stasi on people saying you WILL load that grain up and you WILL transport it and you WILL accept this IOU because of NATIONAL SECURITY AND I HAVE A MACHINE GUN

You know how California passes all these restrictions on firearms and no one does anything about it?
Same thing.
Its legal because the government says its legal.

>You have a frighteningly authoritarian streak,
You are confusing me telling you what would happen with me endorsing those actions.
The nature of US citizens is to obey, right or wrong.

>>32309652
Depends on a lot of things. Very probable that you would have structural damage to your dwelling, and significant risk of death due to blast effects.
Just ball park guess Id say 25% risk of fatal injury, 60% chance of serious injury needing medical care.
>>
>>32309711
>point of policy (it's written into formal doctrine) to never launch a nuclear first-strike
Really? Sauce.

>>32309742
>You know how California passes all these restrictions on firearms and no one does anything about it?
We'll pick this conversation up after Gavin Newsom becomes governor and starts small-scale door to door confiscation. The electorate here is crazy enough to give him a mandate for it. By which time I should be in Oregon -- I don't want to be an enemy of the people. But when and if I see Stasi shit going down in my home town, I will likely come back... and not in any mood for bipartisan compromise.

Go live in a farming community for six months. Then tell me what your 'studies' are worth.

>The nature of US citizens is to obey, right or wrong.
You don't understand what's going on out here. I'm sorry.
>>
>>32309640
I think your experience may be totally divorcing you from the real world. I watched the most anti-government friends I had turn into grateful bootlickers during Katrina. They wanted federal troops to come in and restore order. If they would have drafted them to forced labor, they'd have gone. Willingly. Happily. Smiling.

I would have too.
>>
>>32309784
That's... kind of disgusting, but okay. That's your experience. Let me hazard a guess that what you and your friends were most afraid of was other people running amok with a side helping of genuine famine.

Here. Read this -- it's from a retired lawyer in southern Oregon who cannot seem to find the caps key, but has a good head on his shoulders.

http://wintersoldier2008.typepad.com/summer_patriot_winter_sol/2016/12/index.html
>>
File: kenai peninsula.jpg (115KB, 900x978px) Image search: [Google]
kenai peninsula.jpg
115KB, 900x978px
>>32309742
>Depends on a lot of things. Very probable that you would have structural damage to your dwelling, and significant risk of death due to blast effects.
>Just ball park guess Id say 25% risk of fatal injury, 60% chance of serious injury needing medical care.
Damn, so I'd probably get #rekt but not #rekt enough to have a near instant death?
What if I was in the underground lower half of my house? Higher chance of living there? Or will I be just about as rekt?

Also, within about 5 years I'm probably moving back down to the Kenai peninsula (most likely Sterling region). Are there any likely targets there that you'd know of? Or is it all remote enough to be of zero significance?

Also with worst case scenario winds, what kind of fallout might I get down there if it blew down from Anchorage? Do you think there'd be a bunch of retarded townsfolk fleeing down there? Would their shit (vehicles, clothing, etc etc) be radioactive/carrying radioactive material?
>>
>>32309777
>Go live in a farming community for six months. Then tell me what your 'studies' are worth.
I was born in a small farm. My family still owns it. Lived there for an extended period of time.

People will fall in line with the people promising them food, medical care, protection, and stability.

You can tell the federal troops that they can't have your resources. You can shoot at them when they try to arrest you, after they kill you, they will explain to everyone that they are giving your resources too that they had to for the greater good and that you and your family were unwilling to share to help their countrymen.

They will explain how you were willing to watch your countymen starve because you felt that, as urban dwellers, you valued them less than themselves.
>>
File: baipishu screencap.png (671KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
baipishu screencap.png
671KB, 1440x900px
>>32309777
>China has always pursued the policy of no first use of nuclear weapons and adhered to a self-defensive nuclear strategy that is defensive in nature
>中国始终奉行不首先使用核武器的政策,坚持自卫防御的核战略,无条件不对无核武器国家和无核武器区使用或威胁使用核武器(。。。)

http://www.mod.gov.cn/affair/2015-05/26/content_4588132.htm

2015 Defense Ministry white paper. The same line has more or less verbatim been in every single defense white paper ever published.
>>
>>32309813
No. This is your where you and reality part ways. You suffer from tunnel vision in your rural community. You believe the words that people say. You forgot how much braver everyone is at the bottom of the hill. You are safe. Comfy. Well fed. Able to spend hours bickering to a pale blue lit screen. When people are hungry, and tired, and dirty, and instead of spending hours arguing with strangers need to go do hours of labor to get safe water, things will be different. You will be different.
>>
>>32309813
Instead of bickering at the government to a pale blue lit screen, why don't you ensure that the people entrusted with this unpleasant task in such events are good people?
>>
File: sekritdocuments.jpg (56KB, 385x354px) Image search: [Google]
sekritdocuments.jpg
56KB, 385x354px
I'm no Oppenheimer, but I have a Nuclear Engineering degree. OF course, the degree never covered weapons at all. Anyway, ask away.
>>
>>32309844
You still don't get it. It's not worth arguing over.

I suggest you ask nicely, and I suggest you enroll the country sheriff. Fold that into your 'studies.'

>>32309852
I've been in blackouts and snow storms and forest fires since I was old enough to understand what was going on. Longest stretch was eleven days. Been there done that. Never craved anything except more firewood and toilet paper and milk.

You don't still don't understand. There is a large, stolid, uncomplaining, silent human infrastructure that has held our country up since it was born. And it's a bad idea to come at it the wrong way. Ask for help. Don't issue orders. Especially not after eight years of Chocolate Nixon. Mighty Casey has run wild and raped the cheerleaders and shot into the crowd, and nerves are raw.

>>32309876
How's our security? Physically speaking?
>>
>>32309910
>There is a large, stolid, uncomplaining, silent human infrastructure
And its never been subjected to anything like a nuclear attack.
This is not a snowstorm.
This is not a forest fire.
This is not a blackout.

>You still don't get it.
I dont think you get it.
>>
>>32309876
Is the Us still looking into new uses of Nuclear energy a lot or have we largely given up on it?
>>
>>32309910
You have a romanticized view of rural america. You need to read more books. You need to talk to the elders in your community. You need to open your mind. You are blind. And if things ever do get that bad you will die, and you will be unable to help, and starving children will need your help. They will die because you chose to be blind, and ignorant. You talk about asking for help and coming to the community with hat in hand to work with the local sheriff, but you couldn't tell me how many people in your county survive on federal assistance. There are more than you think.
>>32309926
Listen.
>>
File: surprise.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>32309910
Also Canadian, so knowledge of American infrastructure is pretty limited. If nuclear sites are half as secure as a nuclear power plant (npp) then it would take a battalion minimum to storm.

>>32309935
Currently there's no drive to build new reactors. France is pushing fusion hard with ITER and Wendelstein (Spelling?). Generation Four plants are pretty much shovel ready, they just need political support.
>>
>>32309935
I'm curious about this myself. It seems every day either a nuke plant is being decommissioned or no new ones are planning to be built it seems.

Is it basically the residual fear from stuff like 3 mile island and Chernobyl/Fukushima?

I recall having a class in college studying nuclear energy and the professor used to work for the Atomic Energy Commission. He claimed one of the biggest problems to getting nuclear power adopted more thoroughly is that there is no unifying design/layout for nuke plants. Each one is kind of its own beast and as a result, trying to keep all of them running and under proper supervision/control is a nightmare because you essentially have a different playbook on some level with each separate playbook for maintenance/security/operating procedures. is that still the case?
>>
File: taskfailedsuccessfully.jpg (24KB, 350x224px) Image search: [Google]
taskfailedsuccessfully.jpg
24KB, 350x224px
>>32309961
There is a 1000MW reactor design in the US which they are pushing for adoption across the west. I forget the exact name, but my professors seem quite pleased with it. PWRs are already pretty much standard outside of Canada, what with the UK decommissioning their old shitty BWRs. But, there's still a lot of variation, as you said.
>>
>>32309926
We'll agree to disagree.

>>32309948
>You have a romanticized view of rural america.
I grew up on the bleeding edge of the Federal poverty level in rural Shasta County. It was boring, and my diet was boring. But it was safe, and you could make your own fun. I know my tribe intimately.

>coming to the community with hat in hand to work with the local sheriff
You display you don't have the slightest fucking idea of what you're talking about by the way you talk about it.

>You need to read more books.
Dad has a master's in English from SF State when it was worth a fuck and I could read Chaucer in the original Middle English when I was twelve. Check your privilege.

>how many people in your county survive on federal assistance
Fuck 'em. What you don't see and cannot take into account in your 'studies' is how the rest of a high-trust community holds them in utter contempt.

>Listen
Physician, heal thyself.
>>
>>32309984
Yeah, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but he claimed if a tech wanted to transfer to a different nuke plant in another state it would almost be on the same level as having to retrain from the ground up on basic stuff because of the variance in age/layout/capacity etc. I can't even begin to imagine the paperwork/training nightmare that kind of shit generated.
>>
File: knifecatthreat.jpg (15KB, 604x438px) Image search: [Google]
knifecatthreat.jpg
15KB, 604x438px
>>32309993
That's accurate. In Canada we have four NPPs and each one uses a slightly different model of reactor. Hell, Pickering 1 and 2 have differences between them.
>>
>>32309984
>There is a 1000MW reactor design in the US
Where at, and how recent is the design and manufacture?
>>
>>32309987
this is a thread about a potential nuclear war, not your personal life.
>>
>>32309987
You'll die and I'll put the bullet in you myself then go load the grain. You won't be a patriot then, or part of some grand rebellion. You'll be some creepy guy ranting and getting in the way and you'll get shot. I've seen you post for years. There is still time to open your eyes.
>>
>>32309987
>Fuck 'em.
That will surely get the people on your side fighting tryanny.
Telling them to fuck off is a great idea.
>>
>>32309851
I posted an original translation of a Chinese MinDef primary source and I don't get a single (You)?

Fucking christ /k/
>>
File: flyingneighbour.jpg (38KB, 593x788px) Image search: [Google]
flyingneighbour.jpg
38KB, 593x788px
>>32310010

Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP1000
Interestingly, the Chinese will be the first to have one operational. From my reading work started on it in the early 2000s.
>>
File: radioactive-waste-storage.jpg (174KB, 867x666px) Image search: [Google]
radioactive-waste-storage.jpg
174KB, 867x666px
>>32310006
Christ...

Another question if you don't mind. Has anything been decided on a national disposal site for Nuclear Waste yet? I recall there was that burial site in nevada that was going to be encasing waste in steel/glass tubes and buried in salt, but then suddenly the project got shut down without much in the way of explanation.

Has there been any movement on that particular site or another one? Or are we just in a "fuck it we'll figure out later" holding pattern?
>>
>>32310035
Try posting a picture of an anime girl holding an improbably large gun.
>>
File: feels-britishnavy.jpg (172KB, 563x721px) Image search: [Google]
feels-britishnavy.jpg
172KB, 563x721px
>>32310042
Canada is working on a place up in the Bruce peninsula for waste other than fuel. For the moment it's all being held on site because no one can get approval to build one. In general, with nuclear power the answer is "We could, but no one has the political capital to do it."

>>32310035
Sorry m8, wasn't reading back then.
>>
File: animu gunchick.jpg (375KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
animu gunchick.jpg
375KB, 1024x768px
>>32310019
>You'll die and I'll put the bullet in you myself
Happy hunting.

>then go load the grain.
You don't have the slightest idea of what's involved. This isn't the Middle Ages, where you just stack the sheaves in the middle of the barn and beat the grain off the stalks come spring.

>>32310035
(you)

>>32310039
Thank you. I keep hoping against hope that this technology can be made safe enough for popular consumption.

>>32310047
Here. Have some.
>>
File: beyondmad.png (547KB, 374x667px) Image search: [Google]
beyondmad.png
547KB, 374x667px
>>32310067
So long as people keep being irrational it won't. As is, including disasters, nuclear power releases less radiation per Watt into the air than coal. Let's look at the list of people who care:

Wew, that was quick.
>>
File: 1460336366181.jpg (240KB, 1800x1124px) Image search: [Google]
1460336366181.jpg
240KB, 1800x1124px
>>32309616
>PTR
Do you have dreams of the Cold War like I do? Sometimes I curse the existence of all but the most rudimentary computers and wish my car was an undrivable deathtrap and that disco had never been invented and that Muhammad Ali was still world heavyweight champion except Vietnam wouldn't happen and we still had 20000 nukes pointed at Russia and that Kennedy had just been reelected and Vietnam wasn't gonna happen and that things were just really comfy.
>>
File: sagan sphinx.jpg (80KB, 400x496px) Image search: [Google]
sagan sphinx.jpg
80KB, 400x496px
>>32310079
But it's new and skeery and stuph. And it's made out of big giant splodey bomb shit.

What nuke power needs is some 1950's FUCK YEAH WE JUST LET THE NUKULAR GENIE OUT OF HIS LAMP AND HE'S ON OUR SIDE public relations, coupled with some nice facts-oriented soothing Carl-Sagan-esque edumacation.
>>
File: fallout nerf.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fallout nerf.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>>32310115
Are you way way older than even I am or have you just played to much goddam Fallout 4...?
>>
File: 1454558982518.jpg (1MB, 3741x1756px) Image search: [Google]
1454558982518.jpg
1MB, 3741x1756px
>>32310135
Probably not, yes but mostly New Vegas, and I'm also a fucking nerd that researches various aesthetics in his free time, which is why Fallout 4 triggered me so much because they nailed the retro vibes and then ruined it with the dieselpunk garbage and the 70's/80's cyberpunk that was based on PKD but doesn't really capture the vibes from the 50's/60's that they should have gone for and could easily have incorporated a PKD style into. Admittedly they'd have had to come up with some of it themselves but imo better that than having the jumbled mess of early 20's through late 70's aesthetics, especially when they're combined with the futuristic setting as well as some modern designs and some serious pseudoscience asspulls.
>>
>>32310172
autism
>>
File: full on humphrey bogart.jpg (175KB, 600x751px) Image search: [Google]
full on humphrey bogart.jpg
175KB, 600x751px
>>32310172
>and I'm also a fucking nerd that researches various aesthetics in his free time
I am proud to call you /k/omrade.

When you get bored, start delving into prewar /k/ul-chore. Start by watching as many Humphrey Bogart movies as you can. Next, start hunting old cocktail sets on eBay. Learn what your great grandparents got stoned on, and you will delve into a whole nother enjoyable culture.

I'm not George Zimmerman, but I do guarantee it.

>>32310182
No, it's being intellectually hungry and curious. You should stop sucking dick and smoking dope and try it sometime.
>>
File: 1457693184726.jpg (136KB, 702x960px) Image search: [Google]
1457693184726.jpg
136KB, 702x960px
>>32310182
Better to have and not need than need and not have, my friend.
>>
>>32310059
Bugger, and a lot of those plants aren't exactly free with space themselves either.
>>
File: buttmanface.jpg (114KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
buttmanface.jpg
114KB, 375x375px
>>32310116
That would be nice. It's help with the job hunting, too.
>>
>>32310115
I have a recurring nightmare about trying to get home on the other side of town before an attack arrives. I started having it during the later stages of the Cold War.
It is less frequent now, but I still have it if I am stressed.
>>
File: dresdenpepe.png (1MB, 1240x869px) Image search: [Google]
dresdenpepe.png
1MB, 1240x869px
>>32310206
They'll be okay for a while, and then there's always "short-term" offsite storage if needed.
>>
>>32310217
Oh well that's less fun.

Say, how much fallout will I eat here in Vegas if the bombs fall?
>>
>>32310213
Well... in the meantime, watch this and smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUqySztFLo
>>
>>32310217
O shit I'm not the only one?
>>
>>32308294
yay you are here
>>
File: isisthenandnow.png (436KB, 718x300px) Image search: [Google]
isisthenandnow.png
436KB, 718x300px
>>32310255
The 50s were great for nuclear power. Some of the designs were garbage, but they were getting built.
>>
>>32308594
>titan II
have you read schlosser's command and control? I enjoyed it
>>
>>32308400
>too new to remember the Oppenheimer threads
>calls others infants
>>
>>32309851
The Soviets claimed the same thing. That they would only ever use nuclear weapons in response to a nuclear attack. Then the Soviet Union collapsed and we found out the truth like every military analyst suspected.
>>
This >>32310360
If shit went sideways hard enough all the big players would have one hand hovering over the big red button.
>>
I am also of the opinion that the American public is more likely to obey the authorities rather than rebel against them in the event of any kind of major catastrophe short of the apocalypse, simply because the history of our country supports such a conclusion.

There has been only one instance of a massive sustained insurrection against the government (ie the Civil War) in our country's 240 year history. Even then, it was not "the people" rebelling against their leaders but the Southern political class rebelling against the Northern political class, with everyone else falling in line according to where they lived. This was noted on both sides by the soldiers that took part; a common refrain you saw in contemporary letters was that "it's a rich man's war but a poor man's fight."

Also related to the Civil War was Lincoln's conduct during it. Lincoln, despite consistently ranking at the top or near the top of presidential ranking lists, was undoubtedly the worst president in American history with respect to extralegal government overreach and violations of the Constitution. He used the war to give himself the powers of a Roman dictator, exercised those powers in a sometimes despotic fashion, and the people not only did not rebel against him but loved him enough to re-elect him. Remember too, that all of this happened in an era where your average American was far more physically + intellectually self-reliant and prepared for the rigors of a life of deprivation than today.

The takeaway here is that average Americans are not going to spontaneously organize against the government during a major crisis as long as the government still exists in a recognizable form--UNLESS there emerges a credible, unified, and sufficiently influential alternative to the legitimate government. I somehow don't see this happening.
>>
>>32310246
Well I did some digging myself. Christ Nuclear waste disposal in this country is a clusterfuck. Yucca mountain is basically on indefinite hold since about 2014, and New Mexico has a facility called WIPP (Waste Isolation Pilot Plant) that's already had a plutonium leak due to a barrel of waste being packed with Organic Cat litter instead of synthetic caused gas to build up and the barrel exploded sending contaminated dust throughout the facility and out of it too. But it's the only remaining functional waste disposal site in the entire united states...

Goddam this is a mess. No wonder no one wants to deal with Nuclear Power if we can't even get a freaking cleanup plant working.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Isolation_Pilot_Plant
>>
File: magnox.jpg (208KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
magnox.jpg
208KB, 750x450px
>>32309984
>UK decommissioning their old shitty BWRs

but the UK uses crazy graphite moderated Co2 reactors based on Windscale which was their version of Handford/Savanah River and they have never even tried building a BVR
>>
>>32307836
Its kind of funny how ive never really thought about where subs come from. I kind of just subconsciously thought that boats spontaneously become subs after a while.
>>
I have this neat cardboard thing that they used to hand out in the 60s

It's a series of disks with holes and stuff printed on it

You rotate the disks based on your distance from the blast and the size of the blast and stuff

Then based on how the disks are rotated it shows you if you will be dead or REALLY dead

Pretty neat
>>
>>32305960

>China mobilizes nuclear arsenal amid a war with the US
>US initiates a decapitation strike
>China maintains what tiny stockpile is left as a bargaining chip to retain the existence of the PRC.

The US wins, hands down.

This has 2 factors:
1. China's incredibly shitty nuclear readiness
2. China's small nuclear stockpile

>inb4 China would use their nukes after a first strike

No, Realpolitik says the survival of the government and state comes before all else, if they let loose their small handful of surviving weapons, the US can use follow-on tactical and strategic strikes to completely neutralize any remaining Chinese resistance anywhere at anytime. This means the US will dictate the terms of Chinese capitulation, whereas if China retains its weapons, there is a chance the PRC can survive in some form.
>>
>>32307675
He's back...
>>
Why are people responding to Phil?
>>
>>32312715
>No, Realpolitik says the survival of the government and state comes before all else, if they let loose their small handful of surviving weapons, the US can use follow-on tactical and strategic strikes to completely neutralize any remaining Chinese resistance anywhere at anytime. This means the US will dictate the terms of Chinese capitulation, whereas if China retains its weapons, there is a chance the PRC can survive in some form.

The problem is that this weakens the deterrence value of their nuclear arsenal. If the US has the perception that the Chinese would never use their nuclear weapons, then they have no ability to deter.

A more likely response would be for the Chinese to deploy a portion of their surviving arsenal to demonstrate their ability and willingness to continue the exchange.
>>
File: Philosoraptor.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Philosoraptor.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
Could we use nukes to disable other nukes mid-flight?
>>
>>32313659
Yes. Look up the various early ABM systems.
And the Nike Hercules, AIR 2 Genie, and so on.
Fun stuff.
>>
>>32309851
>>32310035
crop your cap, mong. don't act like that wasn't flawed content
>>
>>32309851
>>32310035

Thank you dude.
>>
>>32309652
Lol fellow east side neighbor. We wouldn't survive and even if we did there will be a mad dash for the hills with thousands of armed raiders to fight off on one single highway. Would be a sweet vidya game.
>>
>>32313659
Yes but a lot of work has gone into countering this. Apart from the heat (blast is limited in space), neutrons from the detonation can cause partial fission of the primary, either robbing it of enough fissile atoms to go critical when compressed or outright deforming it through heating so it can't reach a critical density.

This can be countered in two ways: loading more warheads or dummy warheads into each missile (an aluminumised mylar balloon looks a lot like a regular MIRV at the stage when interception calculations can take place and, because it's inflatable, you can pack a lot of them onboard) and hardening the primary against neutron radiation, either through shielding or special isotope blends. Additionally, you can give your MIRVs additional terminal manoeuvring capability so they can alter their trajectory, frustrating interception attempts.

Another strategy is to pre-emptively hit silos but they can be ultra hardened. In this vein, another cunning strategy is building them in mountains with the side from which they are launched facing away from where your enemy missiles are likely to come from, forcing them to use a higher trajectory (giving you more warning/intercept time) or use an orbital missile (instead of a suborbital trajectory, it goes fully into orbit, this would allow the Russians to, for example, fly their missiles over the South Pole or temporarily park them in orbit to give a little breathing room and, again, frustrate tracking/interception attempts). AFAIK, orbital ballistic missiles haven't been developed. Note: OBMs are distinct from orbital missile platforms, which are prohibited by a variety of treaties.
>>
>>32313834
*My bad, the correct designation for orbital ballistic missiles is Fractional Orbital Ballistic Missiles and were temporarily used by the Soviets.
>>
File: Fabio+Capello1.jpg (37KB, 244x320px) Image search: [Google]
Fabio+Capello1.jpg
37KB, 244x320px
>>32310194
>>32310255
>>32310217
>>32310067
>>32309844

hello this is roger posting from my thinkpad edge e530c (dual screen setup)(standing desk varient)(flash memory upgrade)

folks as u know theres mass ("ass") media and theres common sense and whenever i here a serious discussion of issues like nuclear war and chinese diplomancy i want to throw my hat in the ring being that am expert on such serious matters due to studies and thinkign conversational sessions i have engagled in

(u can ask me NE thing i correctly pronounced NOO-CLEAR and haver taken some correspondance courses on many issues)

anyway heres "the straight scoop. oppenheimer has spent too much time studying information. that is literally the worst way to learn. has he ever smelled fresh cut tobasco? has he ever grasped a greasy nut with his hand while a handkershif peeks out of his back pocket, beconing u 4 more? gotten really deep into wikipedia? thought not

shit, u know who was a nuclear engineer? JIMMY CARTER! hey lets line up to follow that guy into battle so he can give us peanuts and cancer. sign me up!!!

that was sarcasm. jimmy "mayonaaise" couldnt even land a helocopter in a desert.

now lets look at this phil guy. this seems like someone who really udnerstsands stuff. he doesn't read "probably homosexuort" academic journals. hes reading what a lawyer in orgeon wrote about how the world is going to work in 50 years. he's building an arsenal in california

red dawn. ever heard of it?

when the wrecking comes these will be our generals. this is the reason i have been practicing saying "HOO RAH" because when we are invaded the only option is revolution. me and phil were both like this obama guy is literally like a black nixon in every way - no thanks to tom brokaw

hey oppenheimer - keep quoting hindu. i'll be fixing phil ossiferz stone's truck in the desert next to a secret weapons cave with a chain gun. YA PANSY
>>
>>32314135
>hey oppenheimer - keep quoting hindu

You do realise that Oppenheimer !!bd8BUj0eKSN isn't actually JR Oppenheimer? The latter has been dead for some time now.
>>
>>32313389
I'd guess the most likely response would be nuclear attacks on conventional forces in theatre. Which would pretty much mean attacks against SK and Japan.
>>
File: 1477998417022.jpg (49KB, 540x492px) Image search: [Google]
1477998417022.jpg
49KB, 540x492px
Is there a follow up to the Oppenheimer thread that is linked from the archive further up? The end of that thread devolved into /pol/tier bullshit and I was looking forward to reading the rest of the rundown.
>>
>>32314135

Ah, good old Roger. I was wondering when I'd next encounter you.
>>
Oppenheimer:

What is Israel's nuclear plan if everyone turns on them? Surely they have a plan and it can't just be a few silos and cruise missiles right? What if the US and Russia double team them? Do they have a pandemic bomb?
>>
>>32314482
Will no one grant /k/omrade /k/at links to rad Oppenheimer thread followup?
>>
>>32309777
Talk about farmers like they are the majority of Americans. Lol
>>
>>32314606
They would be once the cities are gone.
>>
>>32314482
No. I grew tired of the hurt feelings if someones favorite nation didn't come out on top.

Rather, I switched to doing war game scenarios with notional arsenals and nations.

>>32314527
>What is Israel's nuclear plan if everyone turns on them?
The entire world?
Not sure they have one, but they could.

>Surely they have a plan and it can't just be a few silos and cruise missiles right?
Seems that way.

>What if the US and Russia double team them?
They would get rolled up pretty quick.

>Do they have a pandemic bomb?
I don't know, but probably not.

>>32314618
Most cities would be intact.
>>
>>32314627
>Most cities would be intact.

So some despot aiming their nukes at the United States is going to look at these big, juicy centers of population and industry and declare "screw that, I'm nuking millions of acres of uninhabited prairie"?
>>
>>32314627
That is sad to hear.If it's any consolation, I still enjoyed the thread years after the fact. It's nice to learn a little something.
>>
>>32314642
Is that despot going to have enough warheads to hit the majority of cities in the US?

Or will he have far fewer?
>>
>>32314666
Probably, satan.
>>
>>32314627
I will forever wonder what happens to Baton Rouge, and the tiny town in Texas.
>>
>>32314618
Lol. Then it goes to the suburbs then small city's then maybe farmers and rural people. Your perceptions of the American people suck.
>>
>>32308400
Get a load of this newfag
We don't take kindly to your kind round these parts sonny
>>
File: 20161125_165919.jpg (1MB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_165919.jpg
1MB, 1613x1210px
>>32310217
Got a question, I have an old air command center that I'm currently renovating, the military supervisor of the facility told me when I bought it that if there ever was a strike against it, that its air filters should not be used for the first seven days, to only rely on internal air scrubbers. Have you heard anything supporting that for a ground zero impact? Haven't been able to find much on the internet.

>hoping the russians update their target maps
>>
>>32314791
Probable reasoning is the intensity of the fallout would overwhelm the protective capabilities of the filters.
I would imagine that the worry is that the small amount of material that would get in would be hot that it would be dangerous, even in those small amounts.

The 7 days waiting period relates to the 7:10 rule. For every 7 fold increase in time, the dose rate drops by a factor of 10.

So if the fallout in your area was 500 r/h after the blast, 7 hours later it would be 50, then 7 more hours it would be 5, and so on.
>>
>>32314791
>old air command center

Sweet jesus, I wish I had the money for that.
>>
>>32314791
Rev up that camera, we need pics.
>>
>>32314893
Seconded.
>>
>>32310172
Was not expecting to see Syd Mead on /k/ today. Nice.
>>
>>32308400
The oldfags who remember the times (yes, plural) that Oppenheimer got doxxed have a great deal of respect for his credentials. For all intents and purposes, you may consider him to be a subject matter specialist.

Now, that all being said, lurk more, newfag.
>>
>>32314983
Also Opp, thanks for attending the thread today. I don't always agree with what you have to say, but you're well-spoken and polite, and always know what you're talking about. You're an okay dude.

I'd tell you that if shit ever hits the fan you've always got a place to crash here, but I live right outside Andrews AFB and I don't believe the results would be pretty.
>>
>>32315078
>but I live right outside Andrews AFB
I'll pass, anon, but thanks.

On the bright side, at least it would be quick.
>>
>>32314493

thats what your mom said. i found her 4th hole.

si vous n'avent, netais pas d'argent
>>
File: 1473206035479.jpg (366KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473206035479.jpg
366KB, 1920x1080px
Oppenheimer,

What would the global response to a single rouge nuclear detonation on a major western population center, other than the big 3 powers, like France, Germany, or Britain, (Say, Dublin) by a terrorist organization, who did not initially claim responsibility.

And to mix it up a bit, it resembled a stolen nuclear weapon from one of the major world powers X (We'll say 60's to 80's) number of years ago, which they covered up to avoid fear, criticism etc. (Assuming there was one out there.)

Is that scenario even possible today? Would it matter, would this be enough to spark a war? (Either immediately or a few years into the future.) Is a rouge bomb even possible to exist?
>>
>>32315105
>It would be quick

Agreed. Worse fates have befallen better people.
>>
File: 1481551824478.jpg (451KB, 1563x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481551824478.jpg
451KB, 1563x1080px
Is there such a thing as a decent videogame featuring realistic nuclear weapons?
>>
>>32315109
Not Oppenheimer, but isn't it pretty universally agreed upon that certain nations potentially lost track of some warheads back in the 70s and 80s?

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, but AFAIK Oppenheimer has expounded upon the difficulty of reactivating a warhead without proper clearance in the past, and he made it sound Dark Souls hard.
>>
>>32315109

The fact that this hasn't happened yet is a sign that it's very difficult to accomplish. There are plenty of groups with the means and the will, and yet it's never happened. I wonder why that is exactly.
>>
>>32315146
KSP.
>>
>>32315146

Missile Command (80s) or DefCon.

Missile Command is great for it's simplicity, you must chose whether to protect your counterforce or countervalue with your limited stock of missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC_6QzvLrE
>>
>>32315171
>Oppenheimer has expounded upon the difficulty of reactivating a warhead without proper clearance

The quote is:
"Bypassinag a PAL should be, as one weapons designer graphically put it, about as complex as performing a tonsillectomy while entering the patient from the wrong end.
>>
>>32315171
I remember an Oppenheimer thread a while ago that said warheads "shut themselves down" once they're tampered with. Am I remembering correctly?
>>
>>32315109
>What would the global response to a single rouge nuclear detonation on a major western population center, other than the big 3 powers, like France, Germany, or Britain, (Say, Dublin) by a terrorist organization, who did not initially claim responsibility.
As soon as intel services ID who did it, Shock and Awe under a UN mandate.
Probable massive push for across the board reduction/elimination of nuclear weapons.

>And to mix it up a bit, it resembled a stolen nuclear weapon from one of the major world powers X (We'll say 60's to 80's) number of years ago, which they covered up to avoid fear, criticism etc. (Assuming there was one out there.)
If it was a refurbished weapon that had been stolen or lost decades ago would not mean much for the nation that built/lost it.

>Is that scenario even possible today?
A lost/stolen weapon? Sure. But one that was lost decades ago would no be in working order and would need to be returned to its manufacturer for refurbishment. This presents a challenge for our would be terrorist.
On the other hand, he could take the lost weapon and use it to build a small crude device, but would still need access to some facilities.

>Would it matter, would this be enough to spark a war? (Either immediately or a few years into the future.)
Yes, if it was felt that the original owner of the weapon intentionally let the control of the weapon pass to a terror group.

>Is a rouge bomb even possible to exist?
Yes.

>>32315146
I tried a CMANO scenario involving an exchange. The issue is in modeling the degradation of
command and control and modeling aspects of the chain of command.
It would also require a computer of impressive capabilities to run.
>>
>>32309640
/x/ didn't even exist eight years ago.
>>
>>32315234
I was in that thread, they have the ability to damage certain components that are hard to replace (such as the Krytron and its successor in modern warheads) and, in some cases, will even detonate asymmetrically, not only rendering the explosive lenses useless but also scattering the pit. Plutonium spontaneously burns in air if finely divided so, if this happened in anything but an explosion proof, airtight space the odds of being able to recover enough plutonium just to make a new pit are pretty slim and actually casting the pit is an art in itself because of all the crystalline states plutonium transits through between being molten and room temperature (to say nothing of the complexity in making explosive lenses, it's probably the biggest challenge to the DPRK).
>>
>>32315171
>but isn't it pretty universally agreed upon that certain nations potentially lost track of some warheads back in the 70s and 80s?
It is possible, but unlikely that some Soviet Warheads were lost. The likely explanation is that the warheads that are unaccounted for were in some phase of construction when the end happened, and were never completed and dismantled.
Or some warheads were decommissioned and destroyed and not recorded properly.

>I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, but AFAIK Oppenheimer has expounded upon the difficulty of reactivating a warhead without proper clearance in the past, and he made it sound Dark Souls hard.
It is very difficult.

>>32315234
They have mechanisms that are designed to fail if there is any attempt to tamper with the weapon.
Even during refurbishment, by the people who designed the warheads, these features are 'activated' and need replacement before the weapon can be returned to service.

Some warheads may have more robust measures to perform an asymmetric detonation on the core, destroying the bomb and probably killing those playing with it.
>>
File: tiling.jpg (974KB, 2040x2340px) Image search: [Google]
tiling.jpg
974KB, 2040x2340px
>>32314893
>>32314983
Don't have much pictures with me on the laptop, just some before after stuff and pictures that are old.
>>
File: airlock2.jpg (182KB, 869x1044px) Image search: [Google]
airlock2.jpg
182KB, 869x1044px
>>32315336
>>
>>32315336

Nice.

Was the drainage a bitch and a half to sort?

>>32315352

spooky
>>
>>32315336
>>32315352

Well shit dude, I'm happy as fuck for you. That's an awesome sort of investment, and I really hope it works out for you in the long run.

It's certainly one hell of a conversation piece. Do you plan on living there full-time?
>>
File: onlycommies.jpg (68KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
onlycommies.jpg
68KB, 500x491px
>>32315293
>>32315328
I thought I remembered something like that. Thanks for reaffirming my memory.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: jaws.jpg (463KB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
jaws.jpg
463KB, 2144x1424px
>>32315359
Some parts of it were flooded, so took some time to drain. Did not help it was a few kilometers into the mountain.

>>32315367
Yes, it's actually pretty nice now, finished the home cinema room last week.
>>
>>32315398
>that pic
nope nope nope
>>
>>32315398
Thats amazing. Thank you for sharing.
>>
File: WEB_CHEMIN_3597_1246483734.jpg (49KB, 332x327px) Image search: [Google]
WEB_CHEMIN_3597_1246483734.jpg
49KB, 332x327px
>>32308433
>I've lurked in a couple of Chinese sites
>agreed with a couple of internet experts

Tsing Shi Tao is displeased with your stupid bullshit.
>>
File: 1447220358026.jpg (1MB, 962x1196px) Image search: [Google]
1447220358026.jpg
1MB, 962x1196px
>>32315248
Thanks for the quick reply, and nice to know there's more to getting your hands on a rouge bomb than I thought.

One other question, if a ground war between Russia and an Eastern European NATO member broke out and in turn cause Russia to also invade its other neighbors like Finland etc. thus (Hypothetically) involving all EU NATO members and the US into a ground war to defend and repulse these attacks. We'll say that Russian shock and awe got the front as far as Poland and Romania.

Would this hypothetical situation turn nuclear? Do you think this situation is at all based in the realm of possibility?
If it did turn nuclear how do you imagine it playing out, would China get involved?
>>
>>32315469

Sauce on the pic?
>>
>>32315469
>Would this hypothetical situation turn nuclear?
Impossible to say. There are so many variables that come into play. The best I could give would be to say that the chances of a nuclear attack would be increased.

>Do you think this situation is at all based in the realm of possibility?
Is it possible? Yes.
Probable? Not yet.

>If it did turn nuclear how do you imagine it playing out, would China get involved?
China would have no reason to get involved. China's best interests are served by sitting it out.
>>
>>32315398
Well shit man, that's awesome. Hope to see your work and further pics on /k/ in the future!
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (566KB, 3920x1192px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
566KB, 3920x1192px
>>32315442
Thanks. Wish I had some pictures from the outside, the entrance is well hidden. The guard house leading up to it is camoflaged as a normal rural summer house, but under the wall planks is reinforced concrete, all windows are bulletproof, etc. I think the military has seen too many movies.
>>
>>32315507
No idea, sorry bud.
>>
File: blondecondescension.jpg (391KB, 1374x1425px) Image search: [Google]
blondecondescension.jpg
391KB, 1374x1425px
>>32310643
ikr?

>>32312626
They still have MAGNOX in service? Holy fucking shit. The UK truly is a meme.
>>
>>32315906

Nah, UK closed it's last MAGNOX site last year.
>>
File: Feelsgoodman.jpg (63KB, 630x480px) Image search: [Google]
Feelsgoodman.jpg
63KB, 630x480px
>>32310115

>'dat early '60s A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>32315921
*its
>>
>>32314893
>>32314983
>>32315442
That is BunkerBro. If you ever go to /diy/, there is usually a thread up. If he's not doing whatever the hell it is that he does aside from converting !multiple! huge underground spaces he chimes in with pics and updates. Come by it's a slow board we could use fresh blood.
>>
>>32315906
>They still have MAGNOX in service?

The last MAGNOX closed last year. Only the DPRK currently operate a MAGNOX. The UK currently operates AGRs (advanced gas cooled reactor, an evolution of MAGNOX).

The neat thing about MAGNOX's and their descendants is that they're built based on contracts for plutonium production, which is why the UK currently sits on the largest reserve of both plutonium metal and unprocessed plutonium dioxide. It's enough to put together a stockpile of weapons greater than the Russian and US stockpiles combined.
>>
I live in 15 miles east of grand forks AFB In north dakota, how royally fucked am i in a large scale nuclear exchange?
>>
>>32315930
>>
File: kek.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>>32315921
That's so much better.

>>32315959

Neat. We never really talked about MAGNOX when I went to school. Just CANDU and generic PWRs.
>>
File: US nuclear safety contingency.gif (728KB, 300x165px) Image search: [Google]
US nuclear safety contingency.gif
728KB, 300x165px
>>32315997
>We never really talked about MAGNOX when I went to school.

For all its bashit craziness (reactor shine and insane amounts of moderator waste), MAGNOX has some pretty good inherent safety features but, given the aforementioned sprinkling of typical British craziness and its primary purpose of plutonium production, the UK government probably wasn't too keen on promoting education into their operation.

The thing about Windscale was that while it did kind of catch fire, it was a heck of a lot safer than the US plutonium production piles of the time, which had a positive void coefficient (the same flaw which doomed Chernobyl). The US addressed this issue by sticking them out in buttfuck nowhere with the safety plan consisting of a specially built 30 mile straight road to flee down. Britain, on the other hand, is a little more cosy and, as such, couldn't have a safety plan that consisted of "render 900 square miles uninhabitable".
>>
>>32315969
Very fucked
>>
>>32315328
I had a professor who claimed the Soviet Union lost track of 84 tactical nukes after it collapsed and that they've just been out in the wind. Seemed like an oddly specific number, where would he have gotten that figure from?
>>
>>32316117
That was made up.
Some fissile material was unaccounted for. Joint operation found it.
>>
Are Russian and American arsenals roughly equivalent?
Are Russian mobile ICBM's a big advantage?
>>
>>32316117
>where would he have gotten that figure from?
Godlikeproductions?

>>32316131
>Are Russian and American arsenals roughly equivalent?
Yes.

>Are Russian mobile ICBM's a big advantage?
They are balanced by the US SSBN superiority.
>>
>>32316117
>and that they've just been out in the wind.
Any time someone says something like this, it's a sure sign that they're a retard who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Nuclear materials and weapons are high maintenance. It's not like a random bomb you can stick into storage and just leave it. Very few nations even have the ability to create and maintain stock piles of nuclear materials to begin with, and unless there's some secret 007 style villains out there hiding in an old Soviet bunker with kidnapped scientists, terrorist organizations wouldn't even know what to do with the stuff.
>>
>>32308433
For the record, TAIWAN NUMBA ONE
>>
>>32310471

This is the opposite of a shitpost, not a shitpost at all folks. Save it!
>>
>>32314135

What the cuck did I just read?
>>
File: 1478979962705.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478979962705.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>32308429
>>32310289
>>32314785
>>32314996

Not an actual argument in his favor.

I bet he's a fucking technician.
>>
>>32315469

I really, really like this picture.
>>
>>32315930

>Amuro REE
>>
>>32315983

So THAT's the Blue Moon bomber from Advance Wars. Noice.
>>
>>32317844
Based on my observations, Oppen is somewhere between a guy who uses big words (technician) and someone who uses small words (politician). Some kind of liason between the two most likely. His knowledge base is fairly broad and in depth, enough to have an understanding of the devices used in nuclear weapons but not intimate with every detail. Therefore not likely a technician. That, and I wouldn't underestimate the way tripfags hold him in high regard. Phil respects him even though they disagree. That kind of respect is a rarity on /k/ and an indicator of... something.
>>
>>32315352
you can't fool me that's Metro 2033 concept art
>>
>>32317844
I bet you are a fucking moron.

I win!!!!
>>
File: QmNkIz9.jpg (108KB, 894x960px) Image search: [Google]
QmNkIz9.jpg
108KB, 894x960px
>>32317844
From what I remember he works for some kind of group that plans/projects nuclear threat. A think tank or something. Don't want to spread rumors but Oppen is 100℅ legit, you can fact check him all you want just don't use wikki. If you ask him for reading material what he recommends is pretty eye opening about nuclear weapons and policies, as well as possibilities
>>
>>32319206
Non-proliferation policy.
>>
File: 1480116838152.gif (2MB, 250x282px) Image search: [Google]
1480116838152.gif
2MB, 250x282px
>>32319237
Thank you
>>
>>32317809
That's just Roger. He surfaces here periodically to discharge his excess autism. He's harmless, and relatively entertaining.
>>
>>32317844
Not a tech. Former policy wonk (iirc), currently a think tank guy. He's been doxxed twice that I'm aware of, his bona fides are legit.
>>
>>32312661
Only if they're Italian
>>
>>32321069
Or Argentine.
>>
>>32315507

google "Pepe Moreno artist"
>>
>>32315906
>>32315921
>>32315959
>MAGNOX

It's not an acronym.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnox
>>
>>32308400
The guy's a clever LARPer. He doxxed himself then pretended to be very affected by the said doxxing leaving the site for months.

Theres no proof whatsoever that he is who claims he is and the info exposed got deleted in seconds but he succeeded into tricking the retards on this website.

He does poses a vast amount of knowledge on the subject tho.
>>
>>32315530
Holy shit how do you find this stuff to buy?
I would totally save assets to buy, then fix it up.
Are you doing all the renovation work, or hiring someone?
>>
>>32308565

Detroit is no longer a major population center. There are still 5+ million in the suburbs, but the entire suburban detroit area is spread over the size of the eastern half of Massachusetts. Most of the remaining production facilities are spread throughout this area as well.
>>
>>32323285
That seems like a lot of work only to troll a Mesoamerican skywriting BBS with informative discussion
>>
>>32313824

a Fallout game set in Kanai Peninsula would be fucking rad.
>>
>>32323285
>hurrr this faggot can't prove that he is who he says he is because he doesn't say who he is
>but he knows a lot about the subject

This is an anonymous forum. It doesn't matter who you are, it's what you know.

Sounds to me like you'd be much happier in the comment section of CNN.com than on here.
>>
>>32323285
>being this salty that you've been btfo numerous times

wew lad
>>
>>32323488
>>32315530
>>32315398
>>32315336
bump
>>
>>32317844

I'd hit it.
>>
>>32319722

God damn I love these new namefags. Has /k/ gotten less shitty since 2014? I've been gone since then.
>>
File: 6SMPII.jpg (181KB, 1024x757px) Image search: [Google]
6SMPII.jpg
181KB, 1024x757px
>>32322842

DId somebody say Pepe?
>>
>>32323753
Nah, its still just a bunch of Chink/Vatnik/Fatnik yelling and screaming, with a few daily BB-treads mixed in with it.
Due to the latest antics of TrumpyDympy the F35-treads are of the charts though.

Sometimes you get decent treads like these, but they are far between.
>>
>>32310022
The people he said "Fuck'em" too, wouldn't be fighting the government in the first place.. as they already rely on the Feds just to live.
>>
>>32323721
Bump
want info on based base home
>>
>>32323656
>I believe there are high ranking former government officials and scientists regularly posting on this website

let me guess do you also believe in the reptilian conspiracy?
>>
>>32324605
>I believe there are high ranking former government officials and scientists regularly posting on this website

Well, don't.
>>
>>32324605
Is that so far-fetched? Why wouldn't there be?
>>
>>32309711
>PLARF (they handle most ICBM stuff) knows this, and has a lot of sneaky shit it would probably deploy -- subs, ICBM launcers on railed tracks in hidden tunnels, etc etc.

What makes you assume the PLARF is so competent, and that US intelligence wouldn't know about this "sneaky shit"?

>US would suffer significant casualties in the NE urban corridor and on the west coast, and the sitting government probably face an immediate coup and/or electoral replacement by the surviving population and state security infrastructure.

This scenario was pulled completely from your ass.

>CCP upper leadership would basically be gone, as would much of the chinese industrial NE/East coast, but their population would be furious at the US and gladly fight on in a war of attrition.

Who says the war would still be going on at that point? You Chinese keep assuming the US would be like Imperial Japan and invade mainland China. Any Sino-US war wouldn't go beyond naval and air battles.
>>
>>32310035
Here's your 你
Thread posts: 235
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.