[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AIR RIFLE FOR PESTS/VARMINTS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (493KB, 956x537px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
493KB, 956x537px
/k/ I need your help, my sister has a ranch and wants something for offing very small game and pests. I cannot justify encouraging her to use 22 as it is a total waste for this purpose.

What is an air rifle that has enough accuracy for the job? This is in fact for a female so bullpup suggestions are welcome as well.
>>
>>32303444
Just introduce her to the world of suppressors and get a .22 or .17hmr.
>>
>>32303493
Already there anon, she is way passed the noguns phase. Cost-wise this is for rats/birds in horse feed-tier pests.

I think air gun is actually called for.
>>
Air guns are fine for rats and birds with body shots
>>
>>32303587
I need some recommendations for brands, I am clueless with this stuff. Like what is sufficient?

She is in California so I doubt suppressors are a possibility anyways.
>>
>>32303637
Lol don't comply faget just make it one out of an oil filter and if someone asks just say it's an oil filter dude relax
>>
>>32303690
go away atf, Trump won, she lost. I won't advise anyone to break the law.
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (197KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
197KB, 720x1278px
>>32303637
Air rifle threads don't get a whole lot of attention on here so you might not get a bunch of feedback, especially during the day.

Anyway
>bullpup suggestions are welcome
This would mean getting a PCP rifle. These are expensive and not worth it for anyone even remotely considerate of budget. They do however take less skill and allow for follow-up shots.

You'd be best going for a springer (break-barrel). This is the only type of air rifle I own and Its done me just fine after putting in a bit of effort to tighten up groupings. You should check out the 'artillery hold' for this.

Mine's a Weirauch HW95k (pic related) and I highly recommend it as probably the best sub £500 rifle out there. For whatever reason they're called Beeman R9s in the US. The one and only Ted's holdover did a video on it and regardless of his PCP meming he loved it. Only shit part is that my version isn't fit with iron sights. Dont be put off by rifles without them though since you can pick up some pretty cheap and quality scopes (Nikko Sterling is worth a look).

>Other brands?
Dont have much experience of other brands. However I have heard good stuff abut:

-Weirhauch HW85 (older than the 95 and probably cheaper because you'd have to buy second hand, they're reliable as fuck though so it should still work perfectly), or HW97

-Air arms Pro sport, or Tx200

-Walther LGV

-Crossman (no idea about models but know they're generally cheap and ok-ish)

Another thing to consider is pellet type. A lot of rifles work best with certain brands so have a google.
>>
>>32303637

A cheapish Gamo that you like the look of will work; .177 or .22; 1000 FPS for .177 is more than enough (faster will make a sonic boom, so you lose the quiet aspect); they're accurate enough for small game up close

Most come with a scope already on as a package
>>
>>32304422

>Crossman

They're fine, though more expensive than a Gamo; if you're just occasional shooting rats and birds with little interesting the hobby, cheap will work

I have a Crossman Titan in .22; it's a great rifle
>>
>>32304545
Nice to hear, I was considering picking up a reasonably priced .177. Though I also dont want want to have to keep swapping my only scope back and forth. Any good crossman suggestions w/ iron sights?
>>
>>32304704

The "kids" Raven is the only one I'm familiar with that comes with open sights, which would probably be ok against pests and just plinking cans. I've handled one, and it seemed solid.

My Titan came with a 4x32 as standard.
>>
File: 177 vs 22cal Polymag.jpg (681KB, 2052x1160px) Image search: [Google]
177 vs 22cal Polymag.jpg
681KB, 2052x1160px
>>32303444
My tiny gf loves my 177 and 22 pellet rifles, but she just has a 177 that keeps an 8gr pellet a little ways below the sound barrier. I use a gamo whisper fusion pro in 22, and wisper fusion in 177, same as hers except hers as a couple years newer and has a better trigger. Both are pretty easy to use, you just need to put the butt of the gun on your leg to gain yourself some mechanical advantage when you load them. Then it's easy for anyone.
Predator polymags are my main hunting pellets, accurate as hell and nasty.
I use pellet rifles more for safety sake than anything, I don't give a damn where I aim the thing(opens my options to all treeshots) because my neighbor is a quarter mile away. And a proper expanding 22cal pellet, or 177, is pretty nasty. I've seen daylight through bloody holes in birds before they drop.
>>
>>32304792
Do those goofy pellets fly straight?
>>
>>32304755
If it comes with a scope that sorts it I guess, though it does just feel nice shooting with irons
>>
>>32303444
>I cannot justify encouraging her to use 22 as it is a total waste for this purpose.

250 dollars for a 10/22
6 cents round for .22lr
>>
>>32304849
Very straight.
They also have a pretty high BC, so there's not a lot of drag on them.
>>
File: 20161013_115555.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161013_115555.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>32303510
Your reasoning is sound. For a female though, i'd suggest you spring for a pcp, as ny tx200hc with scope (pic related) is something like 10 pounds.

Doesn't really matter if it's bullpup or not, and with pellets like h&n baracuda hunter extreme (imo the best hunting pellet in .177), you might as well use a .177, though .22 is an option as well.

Just make sure you get a scope to match the quality of the rifle, or you won't be hitting much at ranges past 30 yards.
>>
>>32304889

Shooting birds in trees and elevated positions with a .22LR can be dangerous, though.

And rats can often be in places where bullets will damage your shit.

I can see how an air rifle would be prudent here.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and I wouldn't take a shot at a bird with a .22LR. A shotgun can be too loud if you live closer to the city.
>>
>>32303444
I've killed many rats with a $45 bb gun I got at walmart. Hell, I've killed a few possums with it but it takes a dozen shots or so to knock them out of the tree so i can hit them with a shovel. If you are just shooting at rats and birds, I don't think you need to go overboard and spend a bunch of money.
>>
>>32305353
If a .22lr will damage something you're shooting at, any air rifle powerful enough to kill what you're trying to hit will also damage it. Perhaps to a lesser degree, but damage it nonetheless.
>>
>>32305922

Nah

If you're shooting around steel sheds, air rifle pellets won't do shit to walls after bouncing off the ground; even hardwood won't be bothered

.22LR will still pack a wallop after a bounce
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.