[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I do good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2016-12-12-07-26-28.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-12-07-26-28.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Hey /k/, Canadian wantsfuns here, ordered an AKM type II bayonet for $40CAD, did I get ripped off or did I get a solid survival knife? I live in rural Nova Scotia so it would get lots of use. Anything I should know about it? Pic related, the one I ordered is on the right.
>>
>>32299493
thats the going rate for them. and its not a knife you idiot, theres no . its meant for stabbing on a rifle. they are dull as fuck
>>
>>32299493
They were mass produced on the cheap. Whether you'll end up with one made from decent steel or one made from crap steel is a question of luck. I hope you get one that was never sharpened so you can put a decent edge on it. If you do that, it will serve you well.
>>
>>32299561
Chill man, I never claimed to be an expert
I'm aware they're pretty dull, the seller warned me it was dull, I was planning on sharpening it any so I could use it as I stated
>>
>>32299584
Yeah, that's what I was planning, any tips on sharpening for someone with no ready access to a grindstone or anything like that? A friend has one but he lives a couple hours out of town and I don't have a car, I'd walk but, you know, Canadian winters and there's a snow squall warning for 20+ cm
>>
>>32299603
>any tips on sharpening
None at all. I had mine sharpened by my neighbour in the countryside cause almost 80 years of EXP in that stuff. He did try teaching me on some crappy cheapass knife but I just don't have the knack for it :(
>>
>>32299616
So I should just wait til I can get a drive to my friends then eh?
>>
The real question is "how the fuck do I mount AK bayonets on modern gear?"
>>
>>32299619
I really didn't want to fuck up mine and had the luxury of knowing that it takes a lot of time, effort and material lost on a blade to unfuck improper sharpening so I chose to not experiment. My trips to the countryside are few and far inbetween and when I do go I spend all the time in my wineyards so I don't have the time to learn proper sharpening. Your circumstances might be different and if you can afford to lose one knife to learn on mistakes and acquire a valuable skill, I'd recommend trying it yourself.
>>
>>32299661
What I'll most likely do is go to my friends house for decent equipment and then just do it myself supervised so I'll know how to do it in the future if I manage to dull it enough to warrent more sharpening
>>
>>32299687
GL, HF. I sincerely hope it works out well.
>>
>>32299724
Thanks my dude, have a good one
>>
i've never liked ak bayonets desu

even when they're on my ak they're just so...useless.

like, i guess if you needed some okay wirecutters, but you can get wirecutters for much cheaper
>>
>>32299822
Yeah, could easily get a decent wire cutter for cheaper, but the bayo is for a mix of muh slavshit and multi use half decent tool for when I head out to the woods
>>
File: 12122016563.jpg (288KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
12122016563.jpg
288KB, 2048x1536px
>>32299643
this is my
Molle hoster for knife and bayonet
>>
File: 148155015908436666099.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
148155015908436666099.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Pretty decent price considering i bought my polish akm bayo for about 50 bucks in poland.
>>
>>32299493
sounds like a decent deal idkthe exchange but i would assume thats around 30 american dollaroos.I think there hefty as fuck and handy cause thy go on your rifle. plus theres a wire cutter on them incase you get trapped in barb wire. also check out the buck 119 if you want a solid sharp as hell knife.
>>
Only problem is, that the AK bayonet sucks for basically anything which isn't putting some pointy steel into some other little shit.

Which is okay, pretty much all of the other bayonets from that period are easily as bad if not worse as a field knife.

They're made out of relatively soft steel, which while easier to put an edge on, is much harder to actually keep sharp.

The wire cutter part is of dubious value if you're not finding yourself stuck in razor wire all the time.

That notched shit on the "back" of the blade is not a saw, and it bugs the shit out of me when people try to use it as one. It's meant to catch your opponent's blade when fighting with one. Not all patterns of AKM bayonet have the notches, though.

And the fact that the blade is upside down, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because if you're holding it in your hand, the muzzle ring kinda sorta protects your index finger knuckle.

While you could use one as a field knife, you're much better off with an actual, purpose designed field knife. The Glock one isn't bad, or for half the cost you could get a nice Morakniv, which is easily 10x the field knife the AK bayonet is.
>>
>>32299493
Chester here
>>
>>32300101
>>
>That notched shit on the "back" of the blade is not a saw, and it bugs the shit out of me when people try to use it as one. It's meant to catch your opponent's blade when fighting with one. Not all patterns of AKM bayonet have the notches, though.

stupid shit i've read all morning
>>
>>32299493
If you plan on using an ak bayonet as a field knife, you won't last long in the field. Its a bayonet, not a knife. Think of it as a dagger, its designed purpose is to stab, not to cut. They can be sharpened but the edge will dull very quickly due to the soft steel.
>>
>>32299587
they don't sharpen very well, but it'll hack and pry, get a mora knife too if you want to do fine cutting.
>>
>>32301137
>you won't last long in the field.
While i agree it's an ill suited field knife, this part is retarded.

I've carved, chiseled and prepped game with shit from flakes of flint to dollar store tier pocket knives. if it's even somewhat sharp you can make do. It's not the tool, it's your skill with it. being a better suited tool just makes it easier.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.