[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfag who wants long gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (53KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 600x314px
Hello I have 2 handguns, a g19 and a Shield. I want a long gun, I would like an SKS but they are expensive now

If I can find a maverick 88 for around $200 should I buy it?

Can I cut the stock down and turn it into a pistol later so long as the barrel is above 18.5"?
>>
>>32289563
Or save up another $50 and get a mosberg 500
>>
>>32289563
or sell the shield and buy a 590A1
>>
>>32289578
What's the difference? I could get one of those too, I have enough for a 500 but I don't see a reason to spend extra other than "muh made in America"
>>
>>32289591
upgrade potential
>>
>>32289584
No, that's my carry gun. What's the difference between the 590 besides the trigger guard
>>
>>32289602
or stop being a pussy and carry the glock 19
>>
>>32289591
Fit and finish doesn't look like ass, more upgrades, doesn't scream "I'm poor and can't make good decisions" like the Mav 88.
>>
>>32289639
Fine cuck, I'm going to Walmart right now how much should I spend on a 500 if they gave it? Like $300 max?
>>
>>32289591
this
>>32289600

Pretty much the only things that can be swapped for aftermarket stuff on the 88 is the stock. The regular 500 and the 590 can have tons of things swapped/aftermarket upgraded like pump, magazine, barrel, etc
>>
>>32289674
Pawnshop, $200. Buy a can of acetone to remove the shitty bubba camo job and enjoy your like new shotgun.
>>
>>32289563
$200 is fine. The materials and construction take a hit on the 500 and some parts don't actually swap from the 500 to the 88 so double check. There's no point in ruining your stock and barrel by hacking them, just get a pistol grip and short barrel and then swap them back in when you realize how big of a mistake you made. If you want to go straight to a short one find a used persuader.
>>
Walmart sells mavs for 180 and change.
>>
Buy a Mav 88, you won't regret it. Spend any extra money you would've used on the 500 and buy buckshot and game loads, maybe even a cheap clay pigeon thrower for practice
>>
File: 1476561983367.jpg (1MB, 1950x2504px) Image search: [Google]
1476561983367.jpg
1MB, 1950x2504px
>>32289563
Mav 88 is a great choice
>>
>>32289563
Yes and yes. Solid choice for the money, as long as you aren't too crazy about aftermarket parts.
>>
File: muzz.jpg (1017KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
muzz.jpg
1017KB, 2272x1704px
>>32289602
>What's the difference between the 590 besides the trigger guard
A1s have parkerized steel parts & heavy-walled barrels. also, the magazine nut is removable & they have a bayo lug
>>
>>32289674
yeah,
>>32289693
this..
a basic 500 brand new is around $400
..lightly used 500s can be a great deal
>>
>>32289687
False. The mav88 and the moss500 are literally identical with the exception of safety placement, and that the mav88's receiver isn't drilled and tapped for scope bases.

This means:
>stock
>barrel
>handguard
>mag tube
are all interchangeable.
>>
>>32289563
Maverick 88s come with stockless pistol grips. Just save up for a mossber 500 though 2bh
>>
>>32289563
You can get a used Mossberg 500 in a pawn shop for $150. Less if it's a "store brand" like Western Field. Which means it's a Mossberg made with Mossberg tooling in a Mossberg factory with all the same parts but the stamp on the receiver is different.

Surface rust and rubbed off blueing aren't a big deal and often mean a big discount for you in exchange for some elbow grease and a gun that is often functionally identical to a new one but broken in.

My Western Field 550's action is far smoother than my Mossberg brand Mossberg, for the record.

Ghost ring sights on a shotgun are retarded unless you plan on exclusively running slugs. You don't AIM a shotgun, you POINT it.

A regular 590 can be nice if you feel like you need the extra two shots but 590A1s are a meme. All-steel FCG sounds nice on paper but in practice the polymer FCG on my 48-year-old 500 that's been ridden hard and put away wet that entire time is still going strong.
>>
>>32290360
>lying on the internet

Or at least not telling the whole truth

Yes those parts are all interchangeable. But you neglected to mention that in order to swap the foregrip out, you first need to replace the mag tube because the factory 88 forend is pinned.

Which means if you plan on swapping anything other than the barrel or stock on an 88 you're going to spending enough money on that new mag tube to have just bought a 500 in the first place.

OP, get a Maverick if you want a basic bitch, no frills shotgun with polymer furniture. If you want to fuck with the aftermarket at all, just get a 500.

Also, the 88's crossbar safety is better than the 500's tang if you're using a pistol grip. However this is literally the only time it's better than a tang safety and you shouldn't be using a pistol grip because they're bad.

If you want a stockless shotgun, get a 500 and put a Raptor Grip or other bird's head on it (IMO homemade wood bird's heads are sexy as fuck if you can into woodworking). Massively superior in all practical aspects to standard pistol grip and better looking too.
>>
>>32291608
Not mentioning that it takes a bit of work is kind of irrelevant to my post, meaning I told the whole truth.

You don't buy a $190 shotgun to spend $500 in aftermarket on it. Or at least, you don't if you're even remotely intelligent.

Also, WHY would you ever want to swap anything other than the barrel, sights, or stock on a shotgun? If you wanted an 8-shot model, you should've bought an 8-shot model to start with instead of spending $350+ to turn a 6-shot into an 8-shot. If you wanted the ability to put a mag extension on it, why did you buy a mav88/500/Western Field to start with instead of a 590/590a1/a different manufacturer's gun?

Also, as of 2014 not all new-production mav88's have a pinned handguard. Some still do, yes, but for some reason they've also been using regular moss500 handguards on some. I work at a gun store and noticed that a couple months ago, same shipment of consecutively serial numbered mav88 all purpose guns (the 28" vent-rib model) and 2 of the 5 had non-pinned handguards.
>>
>>32290274
What's that front sight on your 590a1? I don't recognize it, I remember the 590 models having basic bead and a ghost sight option.
>>
>>32291686
>Not mentioning that it takes a bit of work is kind of irrelevant to my post, meaning I told the whole truth.

>>32290360
>False. The mav88 and the moss500 are literally identical with the exception of safety placement, and that the mav88's receiver isn't drilled and tapped for scope bases.
>literally identical
Yeah that's some forthright truth-telling right there anon

>This means:
>>stock
>>barrel
>>handguard
>>mag tube
>are all interchangeable.
Again, technically true but not without first spending quite a bit more than the difference between a 500 and an 88.

In a thread where OP is explicitly a poorfag looking for budget options the fact that you're telling him the budget option is just as accessible to the aftermarket is misleading at best.

Nothing wrong with a Maverick 88 if you don't mind a crossbar safety and don't want to play around with the modularity that's often treated as a selling point with Mossberg shotguns.

Me, personally? I like the look of wood furniture on my shotguns, regardless of barrel length. Which right out the gate means an 88's not an option without a significant investment relative to the price vs a superficially more expensive option. Shit like that is pertinent information in threads like this.

This isn't about flexing your nuts on the internet, it's about helping out OP.
>>
>>32291901
xs big dot
...literally perfect for hd

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993616&CAT=8265
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.