[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grenade Launcher Use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

Video of dead SEALs and their equipment captured by Taliban shows SEALs had bunch of unused 203 rounds. Why aren't they used more often?
>>
hard to aim? idk
>>
>Taliban captured ammunition in an ambush
>This means the 40mm isn't used much in combat

Will you be representing the USA in the mental gymnastics in Tokyo?
>>
>>32289156
What video of dead seals? I was an m203 grenadier in the USMC
>>
>>32289217
The video was on Youtube and Liveleak
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=059_1314303135&comments=1

http://4chandata.org/k/Holy-shit-looks-like-video-of-the-SEALS-that-got-killed-during-Operation-Red-Wings-http--www-liveleak-com-viewi0e2_1307534675comme-a692506
>>
>>32289217
Is the 203 used sparingly or do you start off with it? How is it used?
>>
>>32289244
Well I'm sure of my own opinion. Seals are literally Hollywood.

I only watched a few minutes of that video. Looking good with your shirt off doesn't qualify you to be a grunt.
>>
>>32289270
It's like a bunker blaster but for houses. Training rounds pop orange smoke. We call them Cheeto rounds

I hit a window with 1 in Iraq 50 yards out. Not a Cheeto, a real 40 mike.
>>
>>32289270
The range of the weapon seems like it is useful from very close to long range for a fire fight.
>>
>>32289307
You only use against bunkers or houses?
>>
>>32289307
Shit, that would feel pretty good.
>>
>>32289183
Not really.
>be me, Basic Training, 2004
>US weapons familiarization, M203 with 3 pink chalk rounds, first time using any kind of grenade launcher
>look downrange, see an APC about 150 meters out
>all 3 rounds hit
Most of my buddies hit their target at least once.
>>
>>32289281
>Seals are literally Hollywood.
Because they get killed? It's usual for them.
>>
>>32289217
USMC website says it is typically carried by team leader. Why only typically by team leader?
>>
>>32289377
It's heavy and they probably aren't fired often enough to need more than 2 per squad. If you need to put out a bunch of 40mm, pull up a MK19.
>>
>>32289377
Because team leader is the only one smart enough to not kill his own squad with it.
>>
>>32289394
why aren't they fired often? Sounds like they are of very limited use. Are the MK19's readily available?
>>
>>32289407
Don't worry, they all have arms range.
>>
>>32289377
That is the handbook. We don't do that anymore. After you get out of SOI there's a reason they tell you "forget everything you learned
>>32289334
Whatever you got to blow up. It's second to calling in Air Support.

I walked through the building I shot at. Cooked human smells bad.
>>
>>32289377
Because soldiers are already carrying 100lb+ worth of shit.
>>
In my unit, the team leaders would have 203's, while the grenadiers would use the 320. The 320 is a better launcher, but having the 203 as additional quick smoke or flare was pretty damn handy.
>>
seals eh :^)
>>
>>32289156
I used to carry the 203. It's super inaccurate and takes 18 rotations to arm the round after it's shot. So you can't just fire it into a wall and boom on impact. It's also inaccurate as fuck, the quadrant or leaf will get you in the general area but that fucking 40mm will just drift all over the place. It's good for firing in a general direction if you dgaf where it lands. We used it for firing into blind spots in wide open areas, like say you're in a giant field and there's a ditch or something you're taking fire from.

I was in Iraq though. Most the areas we were in were towns and cities so we couldn't just light up anything we wanted. Despite everyone thinking the us military kills civilians ROE and LOAC are taken pretty seriously.

I could see it being used in Afghanistan more though. Everything is wide open and most firefights you just shoot in general directions cause you can't see shit.
>>
>>32289377
Because the TL can use flares and smoke to mark targets.
>>
>>32289421
Considering you have frags and a bunch of guns at the ready. Also, mk19 is either mounted or carried to a fixed position and I don't think you'll want to go door kicking with 4 guys down carrying the gun, stand, and ammo.
>>
>>32289627
From this reply and the two below it, it sounds like flares and marking targets is the primary use, except for the occasional shot through a window at 50 yards. The open terrain use doesn't seem to be used.
>>
>>32290587
Smoke to cross open terrain? Also, did you at least look up uses for the 203 before making this thread?
>>
>>32290615
Yes I did look it up first and when I did not find the answer to why it is not use often, I came here, to the source of all knowledge to ask people that may have actually used it.
>>
>>32290861
Is it used like cawadooty? No. Is it used to shoot grenades far away? Yes. Now using the squishy thing between our ears we can conclude that the m203 is used in situations where you need an explosion or smoke at a distance that can not be thrown by hand. Not many situations like this present themselves often.
>>
>>32289377
No clue. Army fire teams use dedicated grenadiers that carry a 320.
>>
>>32290884
really, not often? you would not use this to frag a firing position a 100 or more meters away?
>>
File: vGdEVFS.jpg (102KB, 631x938px) Image search: [Google]
vGdEVFS.jpg
102KB, 631x938px
I'd imagine because it's not all that useful in most situations
I doubt that most enemies will bunch up in a real tight cluster and when not bunched up it'd be more efficient to just shoot them. It's main use is probably just saying "Fuck you" to cover or houses.
Granted I'm just a never-served so what the fuck do I know
>>
>>32290973
If you feel it would do good, sure.
>>
>>32290990
OK. thanks for the clarifications. Have a wonderful rest of the day /k/. And merry christmas
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.