[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you actually use your knife?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (20KB, 472x312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 472x312px
A lot of people carry knives as self defense weapons. This can be by itself or as is often the case, as a compliment to a firearm as part of an EDC.

But a question I rarely see addressed is - how would you use it in a real encounter?

I have trained in boxing and grappling and been in several fights so I understand what real fighting feels like to a degree, and it isn't controlled and predictable like in movies. It's chaotic and scrappy, and often comes down to attrition, even with proper training.

If one searches "knife fighting techniques", the results are invariably either bullshit choreographed Asian martial arts, bullshit choreographed Krav Maga women's self defense moves or bullshit choreographed "military knife fighting techniques". These are as unrealistic and inapplicable as the pure hand to hand styles of each of the aforementioned three sources.

So how can one realistically prepare for a knife encounter? Meaning you and another person are both armed with knives? Or furthermore if they have a knife and you don't, what option is there but to run? Not a rhetorical question, I actually want to know if you have an answer.
>>
>>32287021
>So how can one realistically prepare for a knife encounter?
Turn 360 degrees and moonwalk away as soon as one happens because no one wins
>Meaning you and another person are both armed with knives?
It depends anon, every man and his dog has a different fighting styles for using them.
If it were up to me, I'd try and be aggressive as possible to try and throw them off (i.e making nigger noises), but like you said, a prolonged knife fight will end up being chaotic
>>
>>32287021
Most self defense situations boils down to the inability to retreat, in the states it's kind of changing because inability to retreat quickly turns to a drawn out shit show in court that can ruin an honest man's life but a knife fight is usually bought on by someone jumping you and you having to quickly get yourself out of the situation, wrestling happens when yoh cant get away and needs to focus on getting the knife away from you and then quickly gtfoing the minute you can which aggressive action is usually best.
>>
The most devastating attack with a knife is to stab the target; not only is it quicker compared to swinging it, it also inflicts deeper wounds. Training in boxing or wrestling won't help you much with such an uneven playing field when a knife is brought into the equation, sorry to say.

>So how can one realistically prepare for a knife encounter?
You bring your fucking gun, that's how you prepare. This isn't the movies, and you're not John Wick. Countering a quick stabbing motion is gonna be a lot more difficult compared to some tard swinging it around like a scimitar, where you could grab the arm and hip throw.

Prevention is the cure. If you're dumb enough to be in a scenario where a cholos/nignogs have balisongs and are walking towards you, then you've fucked up at some point in the flow chart.

When given the chance, always run when outmanned or outgunned; dying over a bar room argument or pocket change isn't worth it.
>>
File: 1744698.jpg (26KB, 288x475px)
1744698.jpg
26KB, 288x475px
The knife is the last option, since ranged weapons are safer to use. But if it ever came down to it my method would be from this book. tl;dr version - use left hand to control, expose his side while covering yours, and stab the everliving shit out of him.
>>
My first plan would be run like fuck if they also had a knife, however if they had a gun, or there was no way of running mynplan would be
>use hands to hold knife close to chest pointing away from body
>sprint like fuck at them
>screaming some insane shit
I don't care who they are if someone is screaming random shit while sprinting at you with a knife your gonna fuck right off if not theres no way of stoping a knife with 180 pounds behind it other than high stopping power rounds
>>
>>32287021
There's a saying about knife fights:
The loser bleeds out in the street. The winner gets to bleed out in the hospital.

Don't use a knife for self-defense--they are purely offensive weapons and will absolutely fuck someone up. That said, there isn't a chance you can do to prevent the other guy from also fucking you up in that process if you do engage. Just fucking run, or shoot the fucker if you can't run.
>>
>>32287021
Try to shank the fucker, then end up slicing my fingers because my shitty Swiss knife style multitool doesn't lock.
>>
WW1 showed that all techniques and training was relatively moot. Aggression and speed are most important.

Quick rapid unrelenting jabs upwards under the ribs into the heart and organs is the most likely to kill your opponent.

That said knife fighting is bullshit it's either the morgue or the hospital. Always better to run.
>>
>>32287439
I've often phased it as 'don't jump in if you can't handle getting cut'
Basically a knife is one of the last things you want to pop out because if you're not a confident fighter, it'll get taken off you and shoved up your arsehole and the other reason is you're going to get cut, he's going to get cut and it'll devolve into some kind of screaming bloody mess. That said, if you're willing to go to the length of killing another human being, then that's the mindset you need to actually survive.
If you're going to whip it out, wave it around and talk shit hoping to intimidate them, you're probably going to die and if they're too stupid to have fucked off by then, ah well, you're probably going to both end up in the screaming bloody mess anyway.

Running is a great option, not escalating a shitfight into a knife fight and of course, shooting people is always popular if you're an american.
But, there may come a time where there's no where to run, you have to stand your ground and fight, try to disable anything that's a threat to you, strikes to the opponents arms, hands holding the knife, kicking them off balance and all that might give you enough of a chance to survive a bit longer. Course if you can land strikes to the body, throat, groin and inside of the arms will have them leaking out a lot quicker.
Make no mistake though, it's probably going to be over really quick one way or another so your ability to respond quicker is extremely important.
>>
Here's how to knife fight
1: Don't, nobody wins
2: Knife tucked to side, stand square to enemy
3: use free hand to punch, grab, distract, etc
4: when you make an opening stab a gorillion times, never slash and never stop stabbing. Commit.
5: continue using free hand to fuck with them while stabbing
>>
>>32287269
Quality post right here.

I personally carry a knife for reasons other than self defense.
Deploying a folding knife in a hand to hand fight is defficult and I dont anticipate being able to do it anyways.
From an EDC perspective, carrying a knife is for other applications than defense unless you live in a nogunz state/country.
>>
>>32287021
Read "Put em down, take em out", it's good coverage for realistic knife fighting.
>>
Defense means you can't escape, so:

Stab stab stab until the threat stops

Same as shoot shoot shoot
>>
I've used my knife in self defense. It was very simple: I deployed it directly from my pocket using the zip tie wave mod I did to it. I used a hammer grip and held it low and close to my body. I stabbed repeatedly at my attacker's abdomen until he backed off. It ended up being 7 or 8 stabs I think, with one stab even poking out the back. Multiple internal organs punctured and almost all the bleeding was internal.
>>
>>32288016
>>32288488

Above are correct. See:

>>32288519
>>
>>32288519
Any wounds on your end? Any charges for either party? For the latter question it's also going to be interesting to know where that happened.
>>
>>32288943

He wasn't armed but I didn't know that at the time. He caught me off guard and hit me in the face at least once, but it wasn't serious after the fact. I'm in California and though I sat in jail a few days, I wasn't charged.
>>
File: Spartan-Breed-Fighter.jpg (172KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Spartan-Breed-Fighter.jpg
172KB, 640x427px
>>32288519
>>32288488
>>32288016

I've trained down to earth things with knives, and the only ting you can realistically do is stop / invalidate an attacker with a knife if you're quick enough and hit hard enough, and only if you see it coming perfectly well.

You can also get away with stopping someone that's threatening you with a knife.

There is no way to stop someone that rabidly stabs you and you dont even see it coming, the only thing you can possibly do is hold composture and try to fuck him up before you die.

Look at this. There is nothing anyone can do to get out of this if it happens to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I

As for fighting with a knife I recommend either doing the same or just fighting normally and using the knife in your hand if you see it fit.

Most serious knife training is just done so in the case of an actual emergency the operator can remember where to stab or cut. It's not a secret squirrel martial art of one thousand blows or anything. It's just so you remember when in shock, just like you train with a gun.
>>
Why no talk of slashing

Can't find the YouTube vid but it's one where they practice trying to defend against slashes done by markers and no one can do it. Then they demonstrate the power of slashing on a pig leg or something and it totally fucks it up.
>>
>>32287286

Kick in the groin is the best technique to day for anything
>>
>>32289012
lol
>>
File: 1480992892731_0.png (16KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1480992892731_0.png
16KB, 800x800px
>>32287021
>How would you actually use your knife
Irl to cut boxes and steaks because I'm not a supplied cutlery pleb and have a victorinox as an edc

>In a fight
>Guy doesn't know I have a knife
>Being assaulted by an attacker I reasonably think could kill or seriously injured me
>Ice pick grip and go for between the ribs, under the breast bone, kidneys, clavicle sawing into the neck, etc.

A knife is a purely offensive weapon. No one wins a knife fight, you win a fight with a knife.

All the biomechanical cutting snapcut weaboo bullshit doesn't work. You can fuck up someone like that with a sharp knife, but you're relying on them being afraid of getting cut and it isn't quick or effective. Any knife south of 12" is only effective when stabbing. No one is walking around with a real Bowie or an Arkansas toothpick, at least no one who doesn't think trench coats and fedoras are acceptable dress.
>>
>>32288965
Jesus Christ the comments in that video
>some autist dude saying all SOF is sneaky beaky
>same guy is saying someone trained in karate can easily avoid those stabs
>>
>>32289060
THATS MY PURSE
I DON'T KNOW YOU
>>
>>32289012
Stabbing is faster, does more damage, and is harder to recover from. If everyone from military to maximum security inmates prefer stabbing to slashing, it's probably for a reason
>>
Just grip it and punch with a knife bearing hand.
>>
>>32289113

Yeah its all retarded and the program itself is pure cringy retardation, but according to my experience the SEAL got it right.

They didnt teach him some secret technique of a thousand slashes and a hundred punctures bullshit.

They beat him up or slapped him or did something to pump up his stress

They gave him the knife and put the target in front of him

They said : "you're gonna die" "You have a knife" "he's your enemy" "fuck him up"

And the rest is what you can see in the video. The black gentelman is not trying to do any elaborate technique, his only ability comes from being able to connect slashes and stabs, but he isnt even trying to cover himself or keep a guard while he's killing the opponent, as it is unnecessary irl, because being the victim of that savagery must hurt like fuck
>>
>>32289121

made me kek but its true.
>>
>>32289130
>Does more damage
I don't know about that bro, not all critical structures are that deep

>Inmates stab and don't slash
Well they also don't use bladed instruments right, how are you going to slash with a pointy toothbrush
>>
Shit thread faggot
>>
>>32289130

Actually, it isn't a matter of either stab or slash. You're supposed to do BOTH. Stab INTO the neck, abdomen or under ribs, and then SLASH the knife across while inside the persons body. This causes by far the most internal damage or any attack with a knife.

It also depends largely on the target. For example, SLASHING the carotid arteries on the neck, arms or thighs would be more life threatening than stabbing the neck, arms or thighs. But STABBING under the ribs or into the torso would be more effective than slashing.

I have heard an anecdote of a prisoner saying "if you want to hurt someone, you stab him, if you want to kill him, you stab then slash across".
>>
>>32292021
The only faggot here is you
>>
>>32292118
slashes for critical spots are very easy to defend against, while stabs are immensely more difficult.
however slashes against the extremities especially when used in defense are almost impossible to defend against. so basically you create an opening with a slash for the hands if they are in the way or amortize them if your opponent ignores the slash and keeps guard. and stab him dead once you got your opening.
>>
>>32289145
Yeah is that what happened buddy?

Is that how they trained him? Yeah?

Why don't you relax, crack open a Mountain Dew and watch some more movies
>>
>>32288965
Protip: if you're facing a large black man with a little knife, that's a fight you don't want to be a part of
>>
>>32292256
you don't want to be near any knife fight in general. i got lucky the one time i got into one, i could break away and run.
>>
>>32287021
As someone who practices weapon-based martial arts, the only safe way to defend yourself with a knife would be to draw it, and slash and stab defensively at your attacker's fists/arms while keeping your knife's point on-line and retreating as fast as you can. Then you call the cops as soon as you find a phone.
>>
>>32292175

Fuck off, you're not my real dad.
>>
>>32292256

Recon 1 isnt a little knife.

That guy must be big
>>
>>32292412
>uuuu
>>
File: 1480808096737.jpg (50KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
1480808096737.jpg
50KB, 500x731px
>>
>>32292386
That's about the only sensible way to defend yourself with a knife that I can think of, barring some sort of special training.

That's what people don't get when it comes to why knives, brass knuckles, and other assorted shit are generally considered offensive weapons, and even banned in some retarded places.

Because they're absolutely the worst weapons to defend yourself with. If you're close enough to punch or stab your attacker they're close enough to do the same to you. Which is kinda the exact opposite of the point of defending yourself, which is to survive unharmed (harming your attacker is secondary, unless you're crazy).
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.