[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Checking guns on an airplane

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

So I'm going back to California for the Holidays, travelling from Louisiana where I work.

Talked to my dad and we made some plans to go shooting, but the thing I'm concerned about is that I want to bring my Glock 19 gen 4 back with me.

I know California has laws against both magazine capacity, (the mags I have are standard 15 round, law says no higher than 10) and hollow points (of which I tend to keep a box with me just in case).

That and the fact that the Gen 4 is banned from sale in California.

My question is can I just check the gun and ammo, hoping that TSA is two lazy to double check specific gun laws for the states there patrons are travelling too or should I not risk it?

TLDR; Is TSA too lazy to really make sure the gun I'm bringing with me isn't illegal in the state I'm travelling too?
>>
>>32286275
Why not just road trip? Avoid the fucking around with TSA, and you'd probably get there in about 20 hours anyway if you drive straight there only stopping for gas, maybe stay in a hotel halfway if you're worried about falling asleep.
>>
>>32286275
I'm from new orleans I'll give you some advice move your family from that commie state and u won't have this problem.
>>
>>32286275
there are no laws against hollowpoint bullets faggot, this isnt jew jersey
>>
>>32286275
>mags
Yeah, don't bring them. It's not worth the trouble.

>hollow points
Whoever told you that bullshit is an idiot. Bring em.

>Gen 4 Glock 19 banned for sale
All that means is an FFL can't sell the gun to someone that's not a cop. Still legal to own and shoot in state. Bring it.

>TSA
Louisiana TSA won't give you any shit for any of the above items. They don't care about another state's law, just make sure you're legit from the standpoint of their guidelines (hard sided locked case that only you have a key to, limits on amount of ammo, etc). California TSA on the other hand.... just don't fly out of LAX. Bunch of idiots working at LAX. Doesn't matter if you follow the letter of the law and know the law better than them, those jackasses will do whatever they want and laugh at you when you miss your flight.
>>
>>32286275
The TSA probably is not familiar with gun laws in the states you're traveling to.

Also: The law in CA prohibits the sale of hollow points in San Fran. Possession of hollow points is not a crime, so you can bring them with you.

Also: The Gen 4 can't be sold, but you can possess it. As long as the gun is YOURS, you can just bring it back with you and then register it in CA. (If the gun is technically your dad's and he's giving it to you, you have to ship it to an FFL. But if you are the owner, you can just bring it to CA). You're allowed to own a Gen 4 Glock, just not purchase it in CA.

Also: Just ditch the 15 rounders. They're banned. I doubt getting busted with them is worth it.
>>
Importing an off roster gun into CA is not illegal, nor is selling it privately via PPT. That's how most people jew off roster guns. TSA is also federal, and they aren't even real law enforcement. Of course though, a dick can call a cop on you. Also, the only shit airport for guns is LAX I think.

If you want to be safe, don't bring the 15 round mags, find some 10 rounders.

watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw

Also, ammunition regulation depends on the city. I know SF tried to ban them, but the back lash made them ban only black talons, which aren't even made anymore, to save face.
>>
>>32286275
The gen 4 is technically banned from retail sale yes, but that doesn't mean you can't bring it into california. You won't have any issue with that.

The mags are a bit of a...mess right now. Ok as it stands in the immediate sense, you can technically possess those mags at the state level, but certain cities have outright banned possession of them, Los Angeles being the most visible example. If you get pulled over by a cop in those areas and they search your car and find those "high capacity" mags, technically law enforcement can confiscate them as a "nuisance" and you can't do dick about it. You won't get punished or anything, but you won't be getting those mags back.

Now this is changing starting middle of next year, all magazines higher than 10 rounds are banned period and cannot be brought into california period, so be aware of that if you're visiting sometime next year.

For transporting the gun, check the various airlines and what the rules are, but the general rule will be:

-Gun must be checked
-Gun must be transported in a TSA approved container with a lock.
-Ammo must be stored seperately from the gun and mags, can't have loaded mags or gun in the container. (I don't know if you can store a box bullets into the container with you, that you'll have to look up).

Plus you'll want to have a sturdy locked container anyway once in california. If you're driving to the range, Cali law with transporting states that the gun must be stored in a "locked container" that's not the glovebox, though a locked trunk counts if you don't have direct access to it.

No worries on hollowpoints here, we don't care about em. Only bad things to have in a pistol is AP ammo and tracer ammo. Also be aware if you're shooting at a public range, we're under an extreme drought, so pretty much everyone has banned steel case/milsurp ammo. Buy brass cased if you plan to shoot out here.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>32286290
Car is in the shop unfortuantely or i would, already got the tickets

>>32286298
Not an option, and I'd probably move them to Texas anyways.

>>32286304
well it's been while, could have sworn that new bill they just passed had some clauses about the type of ammo that can be sold to civilians.

>>32286323
>>32286328
will be flying into SFO, unfortunately if I don't bring the mags then I have no mags at all
>>
>>32286359
>unfortunately if I don't bring the mags then I have no mags at all

Then just buy a couple when you get here you cheapass. Or bring yours and just don't get pulled over by a cop with them in the car. Fuck it, you're an adult.
>>
>>32286275
never ever ever fly with a gun
put it in the mail and mail it to yourself
>>
File: you'rearetard.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
you'rearetard.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
DON'T BREAK THE LAW, ASSHOLE.
>>
>>32286323
>hollow points
Only hollow point law is in san francisco, and even that is composed of a list of 3 specific brands and a sentence of vague shit.
>black talons
Not even fucking made anymore
>hornady TAP
Speer gold dot or Federal HST is what majority of people carry anyways
>any other ammo that is designed and performs the same as above
Sounds like a whole long drawn out court case that is made to scare off joe blow who can't afford to fight it in court

But seriously, fly to neighbor state and drive rest of the way.
>>
>>32286304
>>32286359
They passed a law against lead bullets for hunting, under the guise of environmental regulations.
>>
SFO WORKER HERE
NO ONE IS GOING TO SEE SHIT WHEN YOU GET HERE (NO ONE GIVES A FUCK)
GOING BACK, MAYBE YOU MAIL THEM TO LOUISIANA BUT CHANCES ARE NO ONE WILL GIVE A SHIT
>>
>>32286990
SHALL
>>
>>32286328
>>32286323
REGARDING HIGH-CAP MAGS:

I routinely fly back and forth between Florida and Maryland with 15+ round handgun and 30 round AR mags. Never had a problem on either end. Even got pulled over recently in MD and cops found a fully loaded 15 round glock mag in the back. Also wasn't a problem.

I'll reiterate what others have said about how to pack/process checked firearms & ammo:
>separate, lockable (and locked), HARD cases for each
>Never had a problem carrying up to 50 rounds of ammo
>mags empty (ideally in gun case), ammo completely separate from firearms, both locked (can't stress all this enough)
>Once locked, firearm & ammo cases go into a larger LOCKABLE suitcase that will be checked luggage

Stand patiently in line to have your bags checked by a representative/real person. Give flight info and ID. Confirm you'd like to check a back, then calmly mention you'd also like to check a firearm. Resist the temptation to say that shit upfront.

Don't forget to pick your bag up from baggage claim on the way out.
>>
>>32286275
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to ship it through FFLs?

The TSA is a bunch of morons that will hold you up for hours even if you follow the rules perfectly
>>
>>32286275
>That and the fact that the Gen 4 is banned from sale in California.
but why? like, by name?
>>
>>32291118
It's banned because it isn't part of their approved firearm list.

They have a crazy liberal backwards way of OKing these guns.
>>
>>32291193
it's also an impossible way because it has a requirement that no firearms manufacturer will comply with
>>
>>32291118
>>32291193
Approved handgun roster, and it is total bullshit. Ruger, S&W and a bunch of civis are suing to get it abolished last I heard, but I haven't been following that so I don't know if it's still going or if Kamala Harris fired up her dicksucker to get it thrown out.
>>
>>32286304
Some jurisdictions, namely San Francucksco, ban their sale and use. Not carry though.
>>
>>32291208
>Exact same gun but has a stainless finish instead of blued or cerakote, or some other minor difference that in no way affects how the gun functions?
>completely different gun, you have to submit this one for testing and pay the fee for both.
>>
>>32291236
it's currently in appeals
expect it to get somewhere in another 10 years
>>
File: IMG_4393.jpg (132KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4393.jpg
132KB, 500x379px
I've always wondered something about flying with a firearm. Say I have a large pelican case that I use as a suitcase. Can I just have my gun packed in The lid organizer as long as the case is locked/it's unloaded/properly checked/etc, or does it need to be in a case within the pelican case?
>>
>>32291815
Its basically up to the individual TSA agent from what I've read. As long as you have a sturdy case that is locked on every surface that can be locked (if it has 4 lock holes, you need 4 locks).

DON'T use TSA approved locks, though, and always keep the key/keys with you. If the TSA wants inside, they'll need you there with them.

Its worth it to look up some youtube videos on how to fly with guns to see the procedure, methods, and tips.
>>
>>32286275
Step 1: Get a pilot's license
Step 2: Buy/rent an airplane
Step 3: Fly wherever the fuck you want in the US without having to worry about the TSA
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit
>>
>>32290398
Are you white? Serious question.
>>
File: IMG_4394.jpg (135KB, 1280x705px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4394.jpg
135KB, 1280x705px
>>32291859
Oh joy, my fate is in the hands of fat sassy black women who know jack about guns or gun laws
>>
>>32291917
Yup, Scotch/Irish/Welsh thing going on...
>>
>>32291073
it wouldn't unless he has to pay for extra baggage.

And TSA are getting better at not fucking up the rules about guns, since more people are flying with guns. Certain airports are still retarded about the opening and checking the bag with the gun though (by federal law, no one other than the owner can open it)

>>32291859
TSA agents still have to follow the law, they don't get to make up their own determination rules. If they are insisting on something illegal, you show them the rules (print them out) and call for a supervisor. There are times in which even the local management are stupid, but most should have gotten the memo (and actually read it).
>>
>>32291859
>>32291984
I was speaking more as to whether the case itself was acceptable.

Some cases have one lock point, and a particularly persistent person could pry a side open and be able to touch the firearm. An agent might try to try this on a case to see if its "safe". That's all I meant by that. Sorry for any confusion.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.