[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wheelgun Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

File: Ruger_gp100_large.jpg (94KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger_gp100_large.jpg
94KB, 650x400px
Recommend me a .357. I kinda like the GP100, but lacking any experience beyond my dad's colt python, I don't really know what to look for.

The gun wouldn't be for carry, 'cept maybe innawoods.
>>
The GP100 is damn good. I traded my sp101 for a gp100 since I have gorilla hands. The Smith 686 series is awesome too. Not a colt guy. I've shot my uncle's Python quite a bit. It's nice but his is nickle plated and seems to be too fancy for me. I tend to stay away from guns that you want to polish constantly.
>>
>>32280186
the GPs & SPs in common chamberings (.38spec, .357mag, etc) are well-made guns.
sp101 is my edc. 4+ years
..trigger job recommended
>>
>>32280186
I like the GP100. Recoil is very manageable with .357 and it's more accurate than I am. Came with fully adjustable rear sight. Feels solid and I've had no issues with the finish either. Breddy gud gun, the only thing I don't like is the rubber grip with wood inserts, it fits my hand fine but looks tacky as hell. Not really an issue though since plenty of people make wood grips for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>32280186
I've got the GP100 Match Champion and it instantly became one of my favorite guns in my collection the second I bought it, everyone always wants to shoot it and it's always a group favorite when shooting with friends. Did I mention it's accurate as fuck and ridiculously fun to shoot? Because it is
>>
>>32280186
686+
>>
File: Ruger-Redhawk-7.5.jpg (123KB, 1012x506px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-Redhawk-7.5.jpg
123KB, 1012x506px
>>32280186
GP100 is good. You could also go for a Redhawk or a used Security Six

The Colt Python is a nice shooter but it has it's flaws.

>>32280441
The Match Champion is sexy.

Ruger should start cutting the lug on the GP like they do on the Redhawk and back on the Security Six, full lugs are overrated.
>>
>>32280186
For an innawoods and range revolver, the GP100 is hard to beat. The only reason not to buy it is if you think it's too uncomfortable or ugly. It's built like a fucking brick, you can toss it around and abuse it pretty well.
>>
>>32281631
That's kinda why I bought the MC over the standard gun, sexy half-lug barrel, match crown, and trigger job from the factory, the break isn't as clean as some older S&Ws I've fired but it's still very good and the double action is easy to rapid fire accurately. Easily my favorite pistol in my collection
>>
File: 20161210_203238.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161210_203238.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Is there anything more satisfying?
>>
Everything is inferior to a Python. Everything you shoot from now on, you're going to compare it to that Colt, and you're going to look for that again, and it ain't gonna happen.

Shooting a Python is like that first hit of heroin. You'll be chasing that dragon, never quite getting there ever again.

That said, a Smith and Wesson Combat Master with a trigger job costs half what a Python does, and is 95% as good.
>>
>>32282232
Memes straight into the veins.
I bet you thing expensive wine is actually better too.
>>
>>32282232
I've shot several Pythons, they're good guns but more collector items than anything, far from the best besides trigger break and they'll beat themselves to death when shooting a lot of .357, so I'd take a S&W or Ruger for real use and keep the Python in the safe for ogling, where they belong
>>
OP, depending on what you're looking for:

Style: Smith and Wesson Model 19/Model 66, Smith and Wesson 586/686

A Nice factory DA Trigger: Any Smith and Wesson, Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Handling characteristics: Smith and Wesson Model 19/Model 66, Smith and Wesson 586/686, Ruger Security Six in 2.75 or 4 inch barrel lengths

Toughness: Ruger Security Six, Ruger GP100, Smith and Wesson Model 27/28

Historical significance: Smith and Wesson Model 27/28

Cost: Ruger Security Six

Those are some of the leading .357 revolvers available to you in each category. Try to get one with a barrel between 4 and 6 inches. Less than that probably sacrifices much of your .357's potential power, while more than that is ungainly to shoot.

Personally, if cost is not an issue, I would try and find an old Smith and Wesson Model 27--the older, the better. They are the direct descendants of the original Registered Magnums, which were the first and greatest revolvers ever made for .357 (other than a Korth or Manurhin).

The old Model 27s, while not at the level of the Registered Magnums, combine a fine fit + finish, excellent accuracy, and a bombproof construction to give you a .357 wheelgun that, when judged as a complete package, hasn't been surpassed by any other standard production revolver to this very day. The only downside that they have is that they are very large and heavy guns. If you have small hands, they might be uncomfortable for you to shoot.
>>
Anyone have experience with the Armscor/RIA M206? Been looking for a .38 6-shot revolver for concealed carry, and this seems to be a really good value.
>>
>>32282510
I hear they're decent for what they are but lemme tell you if you're carrying that you're literally going to be oiling it everyday or the park will turn the color of grips, just like my phillipino 1911!! While it's not that bad the park is not a strong finish and will rust easily if not oiled at least a couple times a week, more if you live is a humid or salty enviroment. Stainless or go home from for me, got sick of spots appearing for literally no reason
>>
>>32282510
I'd steer clear unless you have a very limited budget. Even with modern technology, revolvers are hard and expensive to make relative to other handguns; this, in real terms, translates to a noticeable difference in both appearance and function between a revolver from a decent company and one made by lower-tier manufacturers.

The reason that gun is in the ~$200 range will be very obvious if you happen to shoot one for any period of time. The RIA revolver that I tried had a very cheap finish, a trigger and action that suck compared even to those of most Taurus revolvers, and weighed more than comparable guns with a similar function due to being all-steel--but wasn't rated for +P despite being all steel. It's a fine example of getting what you pay for.

If you want an alternative recommendation for a 6-shot snub, look around for a Smith and Wesson Model 64 w. 2 inch barrel. A bunch of them hit the market recently due to some police trade-ins, and you could get them for $295 shipped back during Black Friday. There are probably some distributors that still have some floating around.
>>
File: 1481242146441.jpg (58KB, 567x642px) Image search: [Google]
1481242146441.jpg
58KB, 567x642px
>>32280441
I've been eyeing one of these fucking things for a couple years now. Fondled one the other week at the store and started drooling.

Maybe I'll have to finally bite the bullet during tax season and just get one.
>>
>>32280186
I would go to a range that has a nice selction of .357 revolvers and pick one that you like best.

Its how I found out that I prefer the grip style on GP100s to the style on the S&W 686
>>
>>32282232
The Python is overrated.
>>
>>32282747
Do it, they're built like tanks and just so sexy, one thing to watch is you do buy it, after firing around 250-300 rounds, the rear sight screw and grip screw can get loose from the repeated recoil. Had this happen to me at the range with friends, had a flathead, didn't have a hex key set so we just kept putting rounds through it with no rear sight in the dove tail lol
>>
File: 782447239048902.jpg (88KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
782447239048902.jpg
88KB, 500x521px
>mfw I found an unfired S&W Model 42 at my LGS for under $350
>>
File: armscor-m200.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
armscor-m200.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>32282510
It's kind of like the Hi-Point of revolvers.

It's surprisingly passable for it's price, if you need a gun and want a revolver, the M200 and M206 isn't too awful, but the DA trigger is poor, they're not +P (unlike a Hi-Point), and overall the quality is just mediocre at best.

The SA trigger is pretty ok, but this is not a target revolver, this is a gun you shove in a glovebox or use at very close ranges.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.