[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best swords for actual self-defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

File: sword.png (303KB, 1950x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sword.png
303KB, 1950x1000px
What are some good, relatively cheap swords that are not too difficult to buy, and are actually effective for self-defense? What are trusted manufacturers who make good product? I'm in the US.

To address some objections:
1) Yes, a gun is better, but then you have to go through some legal hoops.
2) Yes, one isn't going to go walking around town with a sword most likely - but for home defense it might be good.
>>
File: benvolio2.jpg (546KB, 1023x856px) Image search: [Google]
benvolio2.jpg
546KB, 1023x856px
>>
Go to Kult of Athena.com. Despite the funky name, they have good prices and great customer service.

Then look for anything that strikes your fancy that says BATTLE READY next to it. That's sword geek speak for 'you could actually go to a battlefield in this era and kill tin cans full of meat with it.'

PS: Stay away from Depeeka. They're too heavy again by half -- fucking clubs.
>>
File: 31RLmVKyswL._SX425_.jpg (12KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
31RLmVKyswL._SX425_.jpg
12KB, 425x425px
>>32279321
If for whatever reason you can't get a gun,

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Cutlass-Leather-Scabbard/dp/B000H6KTLW

Naval boarding cutlasses were entirely designed around the combat you'd find in a house, narrow hallways, corners, confined spaces
>>
>>32279321
>home defense

swords arent good in enclosed spaces you should get a large knife for that

If you go for a sword get something short like a cutlass, those were optimized for fighting in confined spaces.
>>
>>32279363
also see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cP6_SAAAQ
>>
>>32279321

So, which are you: underageb& or a felon?
>>
>>32279338
>that website
>culture - crusader
Deus vult
>>
Keep in mind your forearm is probably weak like a little girl. If you plan to defend yourself with a sword or even a club you should do exercises to strengthen your hitting ability. using your whole body to hit something like a baseball bat or those silly cold steel videos is not advised in combat as it just leaves you open. You need to get strength from your arm for faster strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mKATU7CLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO5V0UdufA
>>
>>32279467
Neither, it's just takes longer to get a gun. I do plan on getting a gun eventually.

>>32279334
>>32279338
>>32279363
>>32279364
>>32279391
Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>32279334
kek
>>
I'm partial to short stabbing weapons for indoors. A good dagger (~1 ft.) will work quite well in any environment and will still have a functional edge. I own a dirk myself with a few other blades.

...and a combat shotgun and pistol, you should really jump through whatever hoops to get those.
>>
>>32279321
rapier
that was pretty much what they were designed for
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
119KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-10-15-16-54.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-10-15-16-54.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>32279391
>>
>>32279321
Gladius- short, can thrust, can cut. In a house or tight space these are all advantages. Kultofathena sells a bunch.

If you can't afford an Albion, get a Del Tin. If you can't afford a Del Tin, get the Windlass Pompeii (but no other model).

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500598

Make sure you order it with sharpening. Also buy a wooden practice Gladius and drill, drill, drill.

If you can't afford the Windlass, get the Cold Steel Cutlass Machete. Wrap the grip in hockey tape. Better than nothing.

>gun
Please investigate carefully if you can get a firearm, or something gun-like. It may still be an option- even a blackpowder firearm or an antique.

>>32279363
I have this one, and it's not bad in terms of build, but it handles like a sharpened crowbar. This is correct for the Milsco-made Cutlasses (the Dutch ones balanced better). The US maker in WW2 treated them like an extra-long knife, and as such they don't handle like a cutlass should.
>>
File: Seal-Team-Elite-600-a.jpg (180KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Seal-Team-Elite-600-a.jpg
180KB, 600x400px
>>32279321

Why not just get a combat knife? Much more portable and maneuverable in closed quarters.
>>
>>32280645
no they weren't, they were designed as dueling weapons
>>
Get a kukri. I got one made by Gerber and I love that thing. If it can chop brush and limbs like it does, I guarantee you can cleave heads with it too.
>>
>>32281303
It's extremely difficult to protect yourself with a knife. For example, a sword has much longer range and can block or deflect attacks from other hand weapons.
>>
>>32279321
>good for self defense
>SWORDS

Jesus fuck just buy a gun.
>legal hoops
>US
>>
File: neckbeard.jpg (26KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard.jpg
26KB, 367x500px
>>32279321
I found a picture of op
>>
>>32281506
the fuck do you live that you have extended parries with home invaders
>>
File: 1462248389032.jpg (54KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1462248389032.jpg
54KB, 1333x1000px
>>32279321
Just get a fucking bat

Or if you insist on creating stab-wounds in your home invader, make yourself an ogre club out of your old withering Christmas tree like this.
>>
>>32281981
>using pine for a weapon of any kind

Do you want to kill them or make them smell like the air freshener in your bosses office he keeps around to cover the smell of sex after he fucks your wife.
>>
>>32282035
Its not meant for you to smash stuff with it daily. Should be fine for a few hits at least.
>>
>>32280645
Really long, not great around doorways.

>>32281322
Stop.

>>32281981
It needs to be ash hardened to make it worth using. The Germans made killer cudgels and spears strong enough to fight Roman infantry.
>>
The katana is the ultimate weapon. I can cut through a speeding bullet and destroy my enemies with ease.

>Wait until I show you my bankai

My ZANPAKTO can crush any opponent, even though it looks large and unreasonable. It's because my soul energy is so powerful
>>
File: 1480786442190.jpg (89KB, 526x588px) Image search: [Google]
1480786442190.jpg
89KB, 526x588px
>>32282791
>this image
>>
How to make your own katana:
>take pic related
>lay a regular one inch knife on the foil
>fold 1 inch of foil over the knife
>continue folding the foil 10,000 times
You now have a sword with the power of 10 katanas
>>
>>32283176
forgot the fucking image again
>>
A large knife or machete would be better.
>>
Really, so long as its solidly built and not overly long for indoors, any sword should be fine.

What different designs of swords are only really relevant when getting into a fight with another melee armed opponent, so unless your home invader is armed with a sword too, what sword you have is really just mostly a matter of taste/aesthetics.

Hell, get two swords if you want, one for inside and one for outside. The samurai used the wakizashi for inside and the katana (as a side-arm) when outside. Or some sort of spear/polearm for outside.

Gotta go medieval with style.
>>
>>32280666
Didn't think Revy's pistols would be so huge, or that guy has tiny man hands
>>
>>32281929

The last thing you want to do is get into a knife fight. If you have a knife and the bad guy has a knife then you both are gonna have a really bad time.
>>
>>32279490
And behold, a man who doesn't know what he's talking about!
>>
Hanwei Practical Katana is one of the cheaper traditional-style cutting swords available.

A still cheaper option is the various designs of Cold Steel machetes. They have a Gladius, Smatchet and 1917 cutlass all for around $20. They're very mall-ninja looking but cheap and functional.
Another option would be the Ontario 18" or 22" machetes with knuckle guards, they're strictly chopping machetes but they're heavyweight and will allow one to live out fantasies of hacking apart swarms of gooks in the Vietnam jungle.
>>
>>32283838
>one for outside
Please don't.
>>
>>32283990

Some people just like swords, anon. Like owning muskets, its a hobby.
>>
You should watch this video, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdx8kNo_ouA
>>
>>32279364
Probably rapiers too right? That fighting style is practically designed for cramped spaces
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 388x380px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 388x380px
>OP Hears a bump in the night
>unsheaths daikatana
>tactically creams pants
>runs to source of sounds
>"Well m'sir, it seems your night of pillaging has come to an end
>grins madly and enters ready stance
>wife turns on lights
>anons son's dad is just pounding anon's wife mercilessly
>"GooaaaAAAH OOOH YES!! Ah! Go back to bed anon, everything's fiiIIIINNNE!!! Yeeeeeah RIGHT THERE JAMAL YES!!
>"Uhh... I, ummm, yes m'lady, sorry Jamal"
>anon goes back to bed
>at least his wife is happy
yfw
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.