[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time gun buyers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 400px-PEO_Mossberg_590A1.jpg (9KB, 400x149px) Image search: [Google]
400px-PEO_Mossberg_590A1.jpg
9KB, 400x149px
Wanting to purchase a gun for hunting, self defense, etc etc etc. Never bought a gun before, what should I start with. I was thinking a shotgun, possibly a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Thoughts? Also general discussion on first time gun shopping.
>>
AR-15
>>
Not an option since it will have to be kept in New York at certain times.
>>
>>32275739
Are you planning on hunting? If you are, what are you hunting?

Ideal hunting guns and ideal self defense guns are different guns.
>>
>>32275763
Im pretty poor at the moment, school is expensive so I'm just looking for something that is good for everything.
>>
s no perfect gun for both hunting and defense
>>
>>32275773
>>32275805
A good do anything gun is either a 12 gauge shotgun (Moss500 and Rem870 are both great, either is fine, whichever you like better) or an AR style rifle in .223

Shotgun is fun, can hunt deer, small game, birds, etc, can easily kill an intruder. Decent capacity easy to use.

AR can be used to take white tail deer and rabbit on the small end if you can get a headshot - bodyshot will blow it to bits. Moderate sized boar too.

AR is fun to shoot, easy to use, and don't listen to anyone who says it's too much for self defense. Even in an apartment over penetration with the .223 is in the same league as many pistols and even shotguns.

So yeah.

You're going to get the most versatility from a 12g shotgun.
>>
>>32275739
Get Mosin Nagant and Mossberg 500 / Maverick 88
>>
>>32275739
Get a Marlin 60. Get comfortable with it then get a shotgun.
>>
>>32275739
I swear this has to be a bot thread. I see the same exact inquiry and a 590 posted like this at least every other week.
>>
>>32275773
>Im pretty poor at the moment, school is expensive so I'm just looking for something that is good for everything.
I'm pretty sure you won't like it BUT what if you postponed hobbies until you're financially better off? No shame in taking a mature look on your current situation. Anon, we all have thingies we'd really like but that doesn't mean we have to end up on Oprah being publically shamed while some 'financial expert' explains to us we can't always get all we want.
>>
>>32278488
>week
day. I think random people just drop in and ask about hd shotguns and 9mm's and never come back. We've answered it so many times it should just be in the sticky
>>
>>32278645
>Someone drops in and asks a legit question
>It's been answered 999 times before
>REEEEEEEE
>Who cares if it was random anon's first visit to the board
>Random anon never returns
>>
>>32275739
Get an SKS, russian, ignore chink and yugo ripp offs
>>
>>32278769
>random anon who didn't even take the time to lurk for a few days to familiarise themselves before posting never comes back
I'm ok with this.
>>
>>32278837
>these huys are 'experts'
>should I ask them a question?
>NO
>I'll just jack off like the rest of them for a few days and hope some random post in some random thread references the answer I need

Makes sense if you want to turn /k/ into a tumblr-tier hugbox.
>>
>>32275831
I wanted to second this - got a mossberg 500 as my first gun and I think it was a great decision
>>
>>32278920
>hurr hugbox
Maybe we don't want to have the front page clogged with the same 5 threads to infinity?
>>
>>32278962
Maybe you could show some patience and social skills even with the perceived anonymity of 4chan?
>>
File: DSCN0362.jpg (996KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0362.jpg
996KB, 2272x1704px
>>32275739
well, i can attest to mossberg pumpgun quality, if nothing else
>hunting, self defense, etc
you could get a 5-shot model with whichever barrel type you'd like, & then buy additional barrels for your other purposes.
swapping a 500 barrel takes about 20 secs.
ive always valued the versatility

>general discussion on first time gun shopping.
my first gun was an sp101 4.2".. my thoughts at the time were, "small enough to cc, longish sight radius, .357mag (one of my favs), can be applied to hd"
not ideal in hindsight, but its a good piece & i still use it for muh edc
>>
>>32278769
You seem upset. My point was that if it gets posted and asked 5 times a day maybe it should go on the wiki. The people that drop by are usually lost anyway or clicked the banner link out of curiousity.
>>
i live in tennessee
should i go for that AR15 life
first real gun i'll ever have even touched
>>
>>32280286
>The people that drop by are usually lost anyway or clicked the banner link out of curiousity.
Correct. They shouldn't be greeted with aspie screeching but with basic common interpersonal decency.

>You seem upset
I am in no way upset. I am, in fact, advocating patience and the state of non-upsetness which is the thing most new people don't see on this board. Why?
>hurr durr
>I've been here for X years
>I seen this shit XXX times
>fuck you, newfag, go to /mlp/
>hurr durr, I is a /k/ommando navy seal
>whargarbl gorilla warfare
>mhvjhjhjhvgjvg
And then the new guy leaves and never looks back.

Hope all of this wasn't too difficult to understand.
>>
File: 6bfa18dd.jpg (192KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
6bfa18dd.jpg
192KB, 1024x764px
Mossberg 500 for a general use boomstick.
>>
>>32275739

Buy a Ruger 10/22 compact with 16" barrel with fiber optic front dight, put it in a magpul X-22 stock, get a kidd single stage trigger pack.

Optics optional.

You now have a vermin slayer.

Add a cheap polytac streamlight tactical flash light and BX-25 and you now have a way to pepper an intruder in your home.

Get a ruger snub nose .22 revolver for ammo commonality and you are set for zombie out break.
>>
>>32275739
I'd say get a glick, but those guns are too reliable and simple to maintain.

I'd say get an entry level 1911 and tinker with different mags ammo and holsters then consider swapping with after market parts yourself or sending it off to a gunsmith like wilson combat.

Or keep it stock, my first gun was a combat commander colt 1911, love that son of a bitch. Only thing I did is have wilson combat do checkering in the front and replace the plastic main spring housing with a metal checkered one and slim grips.
>>
>>32275739
Mossberg 590 so you can mount a bayonet
>>
>>32275739
Mossberg 500 is a good choice, get a 590A1 if you can find it. Ithaca 37 is also good, especially if you're left handed or left eye dominant, it ejects from the bottom. Remington 870 is good if you can get an old one, new production is shoddy. If you want to go cheaper you can look at chinese clones of the 870, they're actually all right, or at an H&R Pardner.
>>
>>32275739
just make sure you get something with a decent sized barrel and choke threads so you can change up your shell types. Mossberg should have a 2 barrel special for the 500 that will cover 90% of what you want.

>>32280376
the only person that shit this thread up is you faggot, did you leave your tripcode off and sneak out of arg?
>>
First time gun purchase? A mosin nagant, preferably with cosmoline. That will teach you how to respect your weapon by cleaning, inspecting, and re-finishing your rifle for proper use. Thinking owning a gun is just for self defense or for fun shooting is only a fraction of the life of your weapon. Discipline, knowledge, and respect are your best skills with a weapon.

That said, you should also love hitting bullseyes.

If you want an AR-15 for your first gun, do a lot of research and consider purchasing parts kits and separate receivers. Blood and sweat never hurt anything.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.