[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ making a movie, are blanks fired from actual guns safe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: doc-russel-hodgkinson.jpg (103KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
doc-russel-hodgkinson.jpg
103KB, 900x506px
Hey /k/ making a movie, are blanks fired from actual guns safe to shoot in the direction of people? Even from shotguns? I don't wanna be a nongun using fag director.
Where can I get blanks in 7.92x57mm Mauser?

Also could pic related pass as an ATF agent? If not realistically, then as a comedy would it be entertaining for a one off scene? Can't imagine the actor would cost too much and I'm a fan of his.
>>
>>32275187

blanks can kill.
>>
>>32275198
What's the kill range of a blank?
These would be around 3 ft away from the creature (not sure if we're going animatronics or suit) tops.

I know putting them up to a temple and pulling the trigger point blank will kill you but I mean are they alright to shoot in the direction of people at close to medium range, not point blank?
>>
>>32275212

no it's not safe.

flashpaper guns exist for a reason. your career as a director will be severely limited if you kill your actors.
>>
>>32275187
>Hey /k/ making a movie, are blanks fired from actual guns safe to shoot in the direction of people? Even from shotguns? I don't wanna be a nongun using fag director.

They still generate a gas pulse that can kill you out to a foot or two. Read up on it very carefully - real moviemakers have fired blanks at people before but always from outside a certain minimum distance.
>>
Edit in effects afterwards but don't actually fire?
>>
>>32275231
Gotcha. Guess we'll go with animatronics on creature design as opposed to suit for action scenes.
Luckily we wont be shooting at each other, the creature is the primary target, but if it were primarily suit then that would cause a problem.
>>32275232
That gay shit is ruining movies, though. If I waned to do something like that I wouldn't shell out for a practical monster.
>>32275217
Where can I find realistic looking paper guns, then? I see nonguns for 1911s and Glocks that look good, but when I research paper gun I keep getting a faggy little party favor magic trick thing.
>>
>>32275259
flashpaper*
>>
I work as a property master in film and TV. Are you making a bullshit movie or do you have some money? The guns are the responsibility of the property master, who may choose to hire an armorer to handle them.

Through the magic of movies you almost NEVER have to actually aim the gun DIRECTLY at an actor. The actor can aim off to the side and to the camera it will look like they are aiming at him.

Also, much of the time, you don't need to see the shooter and target in the same frame, they can be shot separately.

If you have to shoot towards an actor, the minimum safe distance for a blank is approximately 20ft. They are extremely dangerous at touch distance and very dangerous within about 5ft, in regards to burns, powder impact, paper impact, etc.

Any blanks you need can be purchased from a vendor such as Independent Studio Services (ISS) or Hand Prop Room (HPR), etc. If they don't have it, they can make it for you.

That guy, as he looks there, doesn't look like an ATF agent.

Shotgun blanks are especially dangerous, since they have a higher likely hood of throwing out a significant portion of the wad.

Since it sounds like you're shooting a creature, CREATE A SECOND HEAD or whatever, and shoot at that. You should have a stunt head. Super simple.

Don't be a fag and use flash paper or a Non-Gun. Use a blank or add the flash later, or do both. A blank will give you the best look on-screen, but if you use a Gas Operated Blowback Airsoft you can get a good look then add the flash and shell casing later.

If you're looking for Mauser ammo and want to use a Mauser in the movie, you don't even have to worry about moving parts anyways.
>>
>>32275296
Also since this is /k/ let me make sure you know something: For a gun to function with blanks it needs to be modified. You can't just shoot blanks out of any semi-automatic gun. They will need blank adapters at a minimum.
>>
Bruce Lee died from a gun on the set.
>>
>>32275296
This is the advice I've been looking for, thanks!

I'm not making a bullshit movie, but I also don't care about money. I intend to put full effort and talent into it, but don't care about the gains. A passion project basically.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to write it down.

Is it only the semi autos that need to be modified for blanks, or could pump action shotguns work fine? Since it sounds like a cycling issue

>>32275314
That was his son.
>>
>>32275327
Yeah it's a cycling issue. Pump actions and revolvers work fine. Bolt actions should too, obviously.

The prop houses with guns will have them blanked and ready to go for you.

What's your budget, if you can share?
>>
>>32275347
At the moment, have a bit under $1,000, but plan to start a kickstarter once I get enough stuff prepped and ready to go.
After I see what I have when I'm done spending, and then can figure out what I'll need, I'll throw the budget up on there and offer some rewards for donating.

I don't wanna disclose plot points yet but it's /k/ related, and I'm actually using some /k/ommrades I know as actors.
For example a reward I had planned for donating would be a download link to a 144p version of the movie dubbed in Serbian. Not sure if that'll work, but it was an idea, only need to worry about rewards when screenplay is finished and I buy what I can.
>>
>>32275187
> I don't wanna be a nongun using fag director.

Yes anyone who directs a movie without lots of guns being used is a fag

Gun use in movies is for non-shooters to enjoy it has nothing to do with realism

And the rare realistic shootout in a movie isn't even worth discussing only nerds circle jerk over a fictional portrayal of a gunfight oh wow so realistic what an amazing thing we can passively watch and experienceoooooooooooooOoooooOooh

Also you only own a Mosin Nagant five years after they stopped being a good choice so you're a fag bandwagon hopper too
>>
>>32275380
Cool. Good luck, keep updating on /k/. I'm not a constant visitor these days but hopefully I'll see any updates.

Weapons can be expensive. For background stuff you can use whatever, airsoft, blah blah, rubbers, etc. Hero stuff should be airsoft or real, but you can use rubbers when they're not in close up. Renting a blank gun can run you over $150 a week, so there's that.

There is a guy that specializes in smaller stuff, like he'll cut you a deal and send you an armorer, if you need one, etc. "Movie Gun Guy" Mike Tristano. Places like ISS have stricter rules and insurance requirements.

Anyway, if there's anything else I can answer for you now let me know.
>>
File: the-crow.jpg (248KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
the-crow.jpg
248KB, 1680x1050px
rip
>>
>>32275398
He meant "non-gun" as in a specific type of prop called a "non-gun." It is an electronically fired prop that creates smoke and flash, but has no moving parts and looks like shit. Google them, they're terrible.

It's supposed to be "safe."

Also just as an interesting note to all of this, they do, or did, make "suicide guns" which were completely plugged and shot either a 6mm or 8mm blank. Can't remember. Meant to be placed to the head and fired. No one really uses them anymore.

A lot of prop guns today are "solid plug" which has a full plug in the barrel, which means you use a much smaller powder load in the blank. They are ironically more dangerous, since if the weld fails you've basically just shot a bullet.
>>
>>32275408
Thanks! I appreciate it, and truly appreciate the advice you've given.

I've mentioned it on here before, even before the screenplay started, but I haven't made a thread for it yet. When Kickstarter time comes I'm gonna be making threads for sure, though.

Only other questions I have are music and song rights related. For example, if the guy who sang Rhodesians Never Die is dead, who do I go to to get the rights? I'm Indie af as well, so should I just focus on easier to get songs?
>>
>>32275455
You have to find out who owns the rights to the song. It would either be the releasing record label or, in the case of a deceased artist, the estate.

When you're farther along and have a script, unless the song needs to be very prominent, try to reach out to someone involved. Either family or the label and ask. That song was from Clem Tholet, website not active, but maybe can find family. Wikipedia has record labels, they're probably all gone now.

But just do you research, contact who you can. Worst case if you really love the song, pay a Clearances company to track it down for you.

A song that obscure if you can find the rights holder, you can probably use it.
>>
>>32275455
>When Kickstarter time comes I'm gonna be making threads for sure, though.

What makes you think we'll give you money for your shitty indie film? Assuming you don't just plan to take the money and dip like Kickstarter allows people to do.

Fuck off Jew
>>
>>32275296
Oh cool, never seen many industry people on /k/. My old man is a a set designer/art director, there's a good chance you've probably met or at least worked on the same productions before. I've always thought being an armorer could be a pretty cool gig but I have no idea how you get into it.

ISS is fucking cool BTW. I've been there with my dad a few times and it's insane how much stuff they have. I've never been into the armory part though. (I have vague memories of there being a big cage area and looking into it from outside but I could be mixing it up with something else.)
>>
>>32275503
I don't mind either way, their/your money, whatever I get for the film is appreciated.

Is there a better donate site, one that doesn't have the takemoneyandrun history?

>>32275496
Appreciate that, thanks.
>>
>>32275533
It's possible I've met him. You've already got a good step towards becoming an armorer - your dad gets work in the industry.

You can get hired independently if you're good enough and well known, but the best way to get into being an armorer is to get into the IATSE 44 union with a "Property" classification. (Property Master if you can but that's harder)

Then just find work doing props, try to get on shows that do a lot of guns, etc. Meet gun guys in the industry, etc.

Also just know your shit. A lot of armorers are technically "weapons handlers" in that they know how to do movie guns, but they can't actually do any gunsmithing or repair work. A good armorer can repair a broken gun. I know a guy who makes his own springs.

Your dad as a connection could get you the right contacts to get on a job that will get you into the union then pass you onto some property masters.

And yeah, ISS is a really cool shop. The returns area has like a SAM set-up and AA guns and taxidermy. The armory is behind a security cage door that you need to buzz in. Even after you buzz in all the stuff is pretty well hidden in the back. That's the blank gun room. Upstairs is the dummy gun room and that room is awesome.

Oh and downstairs the Historical non-functioning gun area is great - just six shooters and lever guns everywhere.
>>
>>32275187
indie grip/gaffer here, whats your 20, OP?
>>
>>32275840
Massachusetts but I sure as fuck don't plan to film here. Might have to, though.
Hopefully I can go up North by a State for filming.
>>
File: jon-erik-hexum-04.jpg (28KB, 306x430px) Image search: [Google]
jon-erik-hexum-04.jpg
28KB, 306x430px
>>32275187

They are totally safe.

trust me.

JEH.
>>
>>32275840
>>32275851
By the way I could use a grip/key grip, been wondering how to make the night shots work. Got any way to contact you? Honestly even a Steam account works, it's how I'm keeping in touch with a supporting actor
>>
>>32275187
Point blank hit from a blank is how Brandon Lee died. DO NOT DO THIS.
>>
Movie armourer here. Prop master guy is correct
>>
>>32275909
Brandon Lee died from a squib round. There was an obstruction in the barrel, the weapon was not properly cleared between takes, so the next time when the blank went off, it was strong enough to push the obstruction out and kill him.

Jon-Erik Hexum, pictured above, died from a blank being discharged (self-inflicted) against his head - touch distance.

Hexum died of stupidity.

Lee died of negligence. The gun should be cleared every time it comes to set with a flashlight shining through the barrel into the chamber, indicating an unobstructed barrel.

The prop guys, rather than buying dummy rounds, made their own. In doing so they used live primers for some reason, which is idiotic. In a previous scene a primer fired and pushed the bullet out of the casing. The bullet sat in the barrel. Later a blank shot it out.
>>
Use airsoft. Looks real enough and CO2 powered guns have working slides and actions.
>>
File: 1477712349048.jpg (34KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1477712349048.jpg
34KB, 600x337px
>>32275187
If true seriously consider getting advice from actual people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

In general (from what I've read) flash paper and nonguns are used for any scenes where the actors are anything less than 20 ft from each other.

90% of the time directors just use angles to show the actors shooting rather than them actually point the guns anywhere near a person.

For any scene where a actor would actually shoot another without a cut you'd use a flash paper nongun for the scene.

I seriously doubt your credentials if youre coming to fucking 4chan for safety advice.
>>
>>32276040
Heh might be cheaper if he just shot his actual actors at that point
>>
>>32275217
addendum
>severely limited if you kill your actors.
>add and if you kill the animals on set, peta will fuck your life and director career down the drain
>>
>>32276055
Roger that
Figuring I'll do added in effects after on the few shots that are close quarters

I came more so because of blanks, how the movie is /k/ related, and the actor being considered for an ATF role.
>>
>>32276055
>>32276080
Also yeah, credentials wise this is my first film.
>>
>>32275427

He died halfway and it's still a damn good movie. :)
>>
>>32276090
>Also yeah, credentials wise this is my first film.

He means your education as much as your experience tbfh...
>>
>>32275187
Can't you use a blank gun instead of a real gun with blank cartridges?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.