[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more people own cannons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: technical-18th-century-cannon.png (371KB, 668x497px) Image search: [Google]
technical-18th-century-cannon.png
371KB, 668x497px
With how expensive artillery is, how can you afford to NOT have a working 17-18th century cannon ball gun?

Or, what about crank operated gatling guns? That gets around the full auto ban.
>>
File: Come and Take it.jpg (13KB, 499x330px) Image search: [Google]
Come and Take it.jpg
13KB, 499x330px
http://www.ima-usa.com/original-bronze-european-cannon-on-wood-mount.html
>>
>>32273962
>$11,995.00

How about a more recent creation that isn't a fucking antique?

It can't be 11 thousand dollars to forge a metal tube that fires cast iron balls and other things.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJzjh2nQsCg
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 600x889px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 600x889px
>>32274004
A) they're not exactly lightweight. Materials cost money anon
B) there isn't exactly any cheap way of mass producing cannons, nor is there exactly a high demand for them.
>>
>>32274039
>A) they're not exactly lightweight. Materials cost money anon

True, but surely its cheaper than ten thousand dollerydoos?

>B) there isn't exactly any cheap way of mass producing cannons, nor is there exactly a high demand for them.

Does nobody make them at all? People make muskets.
>>
pew pew
>>
>>32273907
I see where you're coming from anon but a functioning cannon would be hella expensive because you'd either have to buy a real 18th century piece or a replica either way little demand and little supply. On the other hand ammo would be pretty inexpensive but still what would you do with it?
>>
>>32274039
>muh economy of scale

A fun thought experiment. If you look at how expensive it would be to produce things using small scale production today, you can only come to the conclusion that the average medieval peasant, who only possessed things made in small batches or one offs, was more wealthy than you and everyone you know combined.
>>
File: 20150328_150506.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150328_150506.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32274004

Reproduction cannon like what's onboard the USS Constitution aren't actually rated to fire cannonballs. They're only suitable for blanks. If you want something that will sling a cannonball without exploding you're probably going to have to get an antique.

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-antique-18th-century-4-pounder-crested-bronze-cannon-with-wood-field-carriage.html
>>
>>32274087
That doesn't make any damn sense, you have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, medieval peasants did pay more for commodity goods than we do, but medieval peasants also owned sweet fuck all.

They also didn't own things like metal shovels, metal ploughs, it was mostly wood. Something as simple as a metal nail were almost non-existent, and the quality was far inferior than even the cheapest stuff on the market today.
>>
>>32274087
I would assume people's time was worth less back then, what with all the nothing better to do than make shit and get pissed. You're not meeting new people either, you've known the same 40-200 people your whole life and they bore you.

>Oh thank god someone needs me to make something for them I was about to kill myself.
vs
>Oh god someone wants me to make something for them kill me.

Nowadays people want time off to enjoy media and travel and hobbies.
>>
>>32273907
>Shilling for crew-served weapons on a board of literal austics.

You must be broke Goldstein.
>>
>>32273907
You can buy a crank trigger for $20 at Cabela's and it will fit on most firearms
>>
File: 1481347716533.png (609KB, 633x675px) Image search: [Google]
1481347716533.png
609KB, 633x675px
>>32274076
>>
>>32273907
That's a 1917 Schneider, not an 18th century gun.
Get your shit together.
>>
>>32274004
Maybe naval cannons can be had cheaper. Most countries don't use them anymore, there might be something sitting a freshwater dock hopefully not rusted away yet
>>
File: 1479697899414.jpg (117KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479697899414.jpg
117KB, 720x960px
>>32273907
why are you fucking idiots not fucking around with this instead?
http://www.ima-usa.com/original-u-s-wwii-m2-2-flamethrower-dated-1945.html
>>
>>32275729
Unless you can find something bronze that shit is going to be RUINED, and considering the pressures involved I wouldn't trust even bronze cannons that have been around for more than 100 years. A cannon that fails is basically a giant fucking shrapnel bomb with a potential kill radius measured in football fields
>>
>>32274091
They may have horrible gun laws, but i'm glad to see the aussies can at least have cannons for home defense
>>
>>32276010
If it's over a tonne and pre-1945, the only limit is the amount of money you're willing to spend. I can't find it right now, but on a second-hand site there was this old WW2 era mobile aircraft radar detector type thing.

I can't remember where it was, I think somewhere in Victoria, but when I was a kid driving through the country, me and my mum stopped at a fruit and veg market in some small town, and they had an antique tank out the front.
>>
File: image.jpg (816KB, 1927x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
816KB, 1927x3264px
>>32273907

I haven't mounted it in my super duty yet because that's where the 12ga Gatling is going
>>
>>32274251
>owned sweet fuck all
You dont know very much about peasants. Peasants had it better, relative to the upper class, than people have it today.

>>32274781
>people's time was worth less
Times worth less now since average life expectancy is longer.

Peasants had more vacation days than a modern cubicle worker.

In fact a peasant only owed their lord a certain number of labor days a year, usually just a few weeks. Then they just paid a tax on what they produced.

And the lord had to provide two feasts a year. When was the last time your boss gave you a feast? Maybe you get one at christmas if you work in a cool place. My uncles a truck driver and they get free smoked ham at christmas.

Peasants had it made
>>
>>32278408
Where'd you find that nice price of history? Or is it a reproduction?
>>
>>32280197
*Piece, also can it fire?
>>
>>32280197
>>32280205

It's a repro from the 70s, fires a lead filled V8 can pretty far & hard, my dad used it to shoot old cars
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.