[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.38 or 9mm?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: bersaxberetta.png (391KB, 632x958px) Image search: [Google]
bersaxberetta.png
391KB, 632x958px
I want a decent home defense weapon and or possible in the future conceal carry. I might have some leftover money from income tax to buy a bersa thunder or similar in the 200$ range, but Im not sure if I should save more to buy a nice 9mm like beretta or not. I know .38s ammo is a lil more expensive than 9mm overall, but Im not shooting too much at the moment. But I also want decent stopping power for home, and a gun sooner than later. Which should I buy?
>>
>>32272093

Your pic shows a 9mm and a .380. Do you mean .380 or .38?
>>
You should always save more and get the nicer gun. Stop being a poorfag in your head, or you will always be poor.
>>
>>32272323
Meant a .380 sorry, am newish still
>>
>>32272093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7leSF_FE658

I'll just leave this here.
I'd go with the Ruger SR22 with an underbarel flashlight. The video above describes why.
>>
Academy has those Bersa Thunders for $289, and I really want to pick one up as a carry gun.
>>
Do they make a PPK in 9mm?

It was my #1 pick for first CC till I learned they were 9mm
>>
File: IMG_3035.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3035.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
Kind of comes down to what kind of gun you want.

Revolver? 38 special. Revolvers are WAY easier to clean, and are pretty much guaranteed to fire each time you pull the trigger. Very reliable. The trade off is the amount of rounds you can hold. Typically 5-6.

I own a Ruger LCRx which I would very much recommend. I never feel unsafe when I have that on me. Plenty of stopping power.
Can't go wrong with 9mm either. I'd trust my life to both rounds. Only real difference I can think of is price. 9mm is much cheaper than 38 special.
Stopping power is kind of a silly argument that I wish would stop showing up. Unless you're carrying a .22, you'll more than likely have plenty of power should you need it.

I feel completely safe with my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380
Pic very much related... my Ruger LCRx
>>
>>32272093
>should
.22, it bounces inside the skull or body.
>>
>>32272093
Well for conceal carry a .380 will be much easier to conceal. It is possible concealing a full sized one. But it you plan on getting a small conceal carry version of a 9, don't. Just get a .380. the small gun is better suited with .380 because it handles recoil better which means shot placement is better. It's all about the shot placement, to a certain extent of course.
>>
>>32272093
To give you an idea: it is possible to CC a SIG P226 in an IWB holster and not a fucking person will notice.

I had the same choice a while ago. Bought both .380 ACP and 9mm 6/7 rounders, ended up with carrying 9mm (.380 just doesn't feel right), then upped the ante and now P226 is the CCW.
>>
>>32273827
dont buy a 380 over a 9mm cause the gun is cheaper and you want to save money.
the second you buy multiple boxes of ammo that money you saved cheaping out is gone.
>>
File: Kahr-PM9.jpg (248KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Kahr-PM9.jpg
248KB, 1200x900px
9MM all the way. If your looking at a bersa thunder you can get a 9MM that is smaller and lighter to carry and have a more powerful weapon with cheaper ammo. It's a no brainer. Now if you want one of the new micro 380s that's a differant story. Get a Kahr PM9 (my personal carry), a S&W Shield or a Glock 43 to carry. All are smaller then the Bersa thunder. The Bersa is a great gun, I have one just not best for carry purpose.
>>
>>32274816
I think I'd rather carry a 380 than a 9, although I don't have much experience with pistols in general. I'm a pretty slender guy so I don't think I could conceal very much. I really don't like small handguns since I have pretty big hands and I just can't get a good grip on little guns. I held a G19 a while ago and even that felt a tiny bit too small. I guess the Thunder will be smaller, I guess I'll have to go hold it in the store to see what I think.
>>
9MM extended clip !
>>
>>32273980
The direct blowback design of stuff like the bersas, pp/k/s, makarovs etc doesn't really work with anything more powerful than 9x18 or .380. I mean Hi Points are direct blowback but that's why they have massive ugly zinc slides, to compensate.

So the short answer is no amd there never will be.
>>
>>32273756
Don't listed to this faggot
>>32272093
I think the Thunders are really cool but you can get compact 9mm guns in the same size and 9mm is a much better platform. Nothing wrong with .380 but if you want to take advantage of the fact that .380 is a tiny fucking round then buy a super tiny gun like a Bodyguard. That's my thoughts on it at least.
>>
>>32273756
>A comedian is your source

Retarded
>>
>>32276881
the recoil goes up exponentially with weight reduction so the trade-off between a compact 9mm and a subcompact 380 is minimal. The thunder is metal framed with a fixed barrel and handles recoil pretty well. I just bought one for $250 for my mother, it's a solid option in that price range. The magazines have extensions so my whole hand fits on one. If the grip is too small you can look at the double stack variant but that bumps your costs a bit. For CC unless you can stomach using a mid-size compact (like a g19) there is some compromise between all those things. The Bersa is a good balance.
>>
>>32274800
YOU will notice. Carrying a full size gun is nearly impossible to do in complete comfort for most body types and lifestyles.

Sure it's easy enough to conceal but is it a thing you're going to want to commit to doing every day? It's a gigantic hassle with very little gain.

OP, get a compact gun like the SR9c or FNS 9c that comes with a full size mag and a little sleeve for it to give you a comfortable full size grip.
>>
>>32272093

380 is more of a concealed carry caliber, if youre just going to use it at home you might as well use a full sized 9mm

As far as how to pick, anything made by popular names in the $400+ range will be reliable and last a life time, just start picking them up and find one with sights you like and feels best in your hand. Polymer framed guns are no less reliable than metal, sometimes they're more since metal will deform but polymer snaps back.

How to tell if youre getting a good deal: look for their lowest priced new black glock 19 Gen4 or glock 17 Gen4, gunshops always sell glocks, if they want more than 540-600 for it then everything else will be over priced too, just walk out.

If you feel like being lazy and not researching, you can't go wrong with one of those two glocks. Other good brands: walther, CZ, H&K, Sig, smith and wesson, ruger, and more. Try to avoid taurus, theyre known for having a lemon or two in their batches of guns
>>
>>32272093
9mm Taurus Millennium G2
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.