[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20 gauge for self defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (19KB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 250x190px
Would this be good? What if you had one of the few magazine fed shotguns with high capacity? Would the faster follow up shots due to lower recoil have any advantage over the 12g?

Also what are "slug guns" for? I saw a 20 gauge one with a scope on it, are they just for deer hunting?
>>
>>32271493
20 gauge is more than powerful enough for stopping attackers. People aren't that tough to kill.
There are military units that issue twenty gauge shotguns for breaching because they are staffed with markets.
>Chile, I'm looking at you.
>>
>>32271630
*manlets
Not markets. New fucking fone.
>>
>>32271493
Massad Ayoob recommends the 20-bore for home defense, IIRC.
>>
>>32271493
>>32271664
Look, as someone who wanted to use a 20gauge for self defense, there is a major problem: the best ammo isn't made for it. The straight best option for a shotgun defense load is Federal Flite Control in #1 buckshot. But all the buckshot rounds commercially made for 20 gauge have enough kick to them compared to the 12 gauge with Flite Control rounds that it negates the point of using a 20 gauge at all--and the 12 gauge with Flite Control will have better accuracy (yes, this matters, you are responsible for any stray pellets that fly through your wall and hit someone) and more damage to the target. Using handloads is a bad idea legally for self defense.

I wanted it to be viable but it really isn't since 12 gauge has had the best parts of tech development. 12 gauge shotguns have far more options for tactical features too--most importantly, being able to mount a light.

Slugs are for hunting.
>>
>>32271630
The Russian military uses the Saiga in 20 Gauge, think it's the Saiga-20K
>>
Seventy five percent of the 12 gauge payload, fifty percent of the recoil.
>>
>>32271840
So then there's no reason to use 12 Gauge over 20 Gauge?
>>
File: 377572.jpg (169KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
377572.jpg
169KB, 880x660px
There's no QTD going, and I'm loathe to start one just for this, so since we're on the subject of rounds for defense-

What do you guys think of glasers for home defense?
>>
>>32271850
Fucking read this >>32271793 instead of responding to someone spouting memes.

>>32271840
Not when you're using buckshot defensive loads.
>>
20 gauge is going to be more expensive to shoot and have less ammo variety and accessories. It's a small segment of the shotgun market. If none of that matters to you and you have a 20 gauge you like it's fine for about everything.
>>
A recoil controlled 12 gauge load eats the lunch of even the best 20 gauge load, which is near unobtainium.

There's no reason to pick 20 gauge over a 12.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.