[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often do revolvers lose timing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0875.jpg (96KB, 1200x806px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0875.jpg
96KB, 1200x806px
How often do revolvers lose timing?
>>
>>32263672
As long as you don't do anything like flicking the cylinder closed then it shouldn't happen.
>>
>>32263801
Yeah don't spin it like in the movies or slam it home. Treat it with respect.

I work in movies with prop weapons and actors doing stupid shit like spinning cylinders and slamming it shut are actually crazy damaging. It took our gunsmith like 2 hours to fix one shitty .38 one day because of stupid shit.
>>
>>32263672
If you're posting on this board then you'll never shoot enough for it to be a problem.
>>
>>32263672
The first symptom of a revolver getting old is end shake. It's when the cylinder has forward and back play in the frame. A few thousandths is good, but when it gets larger than 2-3 sheets of paper width it needs to have another washer put in to fix it.

The 2nd thing to go is a loose cylinder, when it can be rotated a few hundredths in either direction, or when you can just rotate the cylinder and it will pop out and spin without cocking it.

The 3rd thing to go is the claw that actually rotates the cylinder. This will wear and won't put the revolver into timing. The way to test is to cock is ever so slowly and see if it goes into the next groove in the cylinder. If it has to be cocked fast to "chunk" it into the groove, you need this fixed.

All this being said, I have over 3000 through both my GP100 and raging bull 44. All of them are full power loads, with about 200 Buffalo bore +p+ 44 mags and I don't have any issues. No signs of loosening up. Don't worry about it. If you check for these things before you buy, you won't have an issue.
>>
>>32263801
Is it possible to make a revolver which won't be damaged by doing those?
>>
>>32264488
Is it possible to make a device that won't be damaged by putting unnecessary stress on its frame?
>>
>>32264496
The frame and cylinder are more than strong enough. The lockwork that secures the cylinder against torsion is not, because there is no torsion when firing.
>>
>>32263672
>How often do revolvers lose timing?
Once.
Then you sell it on Armslist for $50 more than you paid for it, instead of taking it to a gunsmith.
>>
>>32263846
>thingsthatneverhappened.png
>>
>>32264496
Yes. Take the Ruger approach and just make everything thicker.
>>
File: revolver buying guide.jpg (781KB, 1200x2160px) Image search: [Google]
revolver buying guide.jpg
781KB, 1200x2160px
>>32264479
>>
>>32265461

BTW, when it says to use a piece of white paper to check the bore, a quick tip is to just use your fingernail. It'll reflect enough light that you can clearly see inside.
>>
File: Meerkat.jpg (400KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Meerkat.jpg
400KB, 2000x1500px
>>32263846
>mfw I spin the cylinder and flick it closed
>mfw all the bullets fall out and I look like a tard
>>
>>32264488
It's not that those damage the firearm, but that they throw the trigger mechanism out of sequence causing the gun to lock up when you pull the trigger.
>>
>>32264943
kekd pretty hard
>>
>>32264488
You could just take care of your things. Its like being rough on anything you will break it. My phone broke after only cracking 3 walnuts with it! Wtf they need to make them better!
>>
>>32265433
They do it because they're investment cast and not forgings.
>>
>>32266120
Or we could build a better revolver.

We're not cracking open nuts with a gun, we're closing the cylinder faster than normal...

To use your example

>My (i)phone only broke after i beat muh candy crush high score

Im not sure if they still use those thin screens that crack by sitting on it anymore though
>>
>>32266904
They use those investment castings quite well though.

Even the old Security Six can eat crazy horse loads.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.