[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do videogames help aim?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: superhexagon.png.cf.png (140KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
superhexagon.png.cf.png
140KB, 480x320px
I've been wondering if videogames help your accuracy at all? if so, what kinds would you most reccomend? I assume reflex games like pic related would be a good start.
>>
Just shoot your guns and practice dryfiring. Jesus Christ. Vidya cannot be used as a substitute to life experience.
>>
Accuracy? Fuck no. Maybe reaction time but it won't train good responses so that's moot.

I recommend Hotline Miami. Not for tactical reasons but it's cheap, your thermostat can run it, and it's great.
>>
Can watching fitness advertisments help lose weight?
>>
>>32262462
No. It fucks you aiming mostly. Games like COD where you can shoot accurately while rubning give you a false idea of what is required for good marksmanship.

It's not a quickness thing, that's the easy part. Smoothing out your press without moving your sights is the most important thing.
>>
No

I play a lot of video games and I can't hit shit
>>
Maybe they could help with target aquisition or something
>>
>>32262462
Games can help hand-eye coordination, which in turn could improve your aim. Most people who shoot somewhat regularly will not benefit all that much from it I wager, but I guess it could help. I'm going to play games either way, so here's hoping.
>>
A FPS could help someone understand how to line up sights, if the game depicts it accurately. I helped my GF understand after I showed her in BF4, at least.
>>
Maybe if they could integrate it in with a VR set up along with the fancy tracking devices and a completely circular roller thingy.
>>
>>32263152
https://youtu.be/eg8Bh5iI2WY?t=11m40s
>>
>>32263152
More jobs for over achieving teachers pet
>>
>>32262513
>moot
>>
>>32262462
Not in any direct, physical sense.

In terms of developing instincts on the relationship of visual queues and actual effective position of an object you are manipulating? Yes.

So it won't make you a better shot on its own but playing the right sort of games while paying attention to certain things can help you understand how you are manipulating a firearm in your hands in respect to the effect on target.

The same could be said of basketball, though. Developing fine motor skills and an intuitive understanding of distance and depth of field can be done in many ways and will have many benefits not just shooting.
>>
no

the physical motions and muscle memory skills are completely different
>>
no but you can learn tactics from the right game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9yuckHwuZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiQoGmxLqo
>>
such an awesome game.
>>
>>32263810
>moot
What is that, some kind of drink?
>>
File: chris_poole_moot.0[1].png (814KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
chris_poole_moot.0[1].png
814KB, 1600x900px
>>32265772
Modern: subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision.

Original: an assembly held for debate, especially in Anglo-Saxon and medieval times.

Other: Pseudonym of the weeaboo who created this Inuit Basket Weaving site.
>>
>>32262462
Yes.

>I assume reflex games like pic related would be a good start.
No. FPS games provide maximum boost to visual based skills (not specifically for aiming but for overall capability). Also it does not need many hours to achieve training effect, 10 hours per month would be hitting diminishing returns.

Also it was found that FPS playing could increase eyesight if it is done on TV according to health guidance (at least from 12 feet distance so eyes are accommodated to near infinity).
>>
>>32262462
Absolutely not.
They can possibly teach you what a proper sight picture looks like.
But plenty of them get that wrong too.
>>
>bring friend shooting for the first time
>he was all excited
>first time shooting so he's shit like all first timers
>he gets super depressed all the rest of the day
>ask what's up
>"I thought I would be really good at shooting because I'm really good at FPS games"
>>
>>32266156
I'm cuter than he is
>>
>>32262462
>reflex games
>"superhexagon"
AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M

Mental defectives shouldn't be allowed to own guns. You are unpredictable and there is no telling what you will do.
>>
>>32262462
No. Tactical shooters can give you a good sense of how positioning works, though.
>>
>>32262462
firearm's accuracy IRL is based more on how you pull the trigger and hold the gun than seeing.

you can't simulate this in a game without purpose built hardware that no one's made yet.
>>
File: 1480837759814.jpg (40KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1480837759814.jpg
40KB, 400x300px
>>32267500
Everyone is
>>
I play WoT constantly and now am going into army to be a tank controller. I heard this is a good game for training before I go to army said my recruiter when I told him i played. I run alot too. I think that I will be best tanker in my new unit upon arrival because I have headstart in tank tactics.
>>
>>32267481

but is he actually good at fps games tho
>>
>>32262462
NO

shooting makes you a better shooter

your xbox wont turn you into an operator
>>
Unless you're playing STALKER, no.
>>
It will give you an idea of what a proper sight picture is. Other than that, no.
>>
>>32262462
I would say yes as they help improve hand eye coordination, but nothing is going to compare to using the real thing.

- nogun owner living in nogun land

Closest experience I have is with swords. The real thing is the only thing that'll really improve your skill.
>>
>>32270863
(You)
>>
>>32270898
Only if he plays the meta and uses OP try hard guns

If you just want to play for fun and use guns you think are cool he won't play with you because he 100% plays to win even though meta guns are just crutches. Take them away and he's a shitter
>>
>>32267502
SHALL
>>
>>32263810
Who?
>>
File: 1479762909189.gif (334KB, 915x914px) Image search: [Google]
1479762909189.gif
334KB, 915x914px
>>32262462
No, and pretty much everything in this thread is complete bullshit. Video games will pretty much do nothing but give you bad habits for actual shooting. If you're shooting or gaming enough to get really good, you're going to have problems with RSI. The crap about being able to remain spatially aware of multiple things at once is real, and it's been proven gaming can allow you to make accurate decisions faster, but that's only tangentally related to guns.

However, older FPS game multiplayer (1990s, Quake to Quake 3 era) are unique in that there's no software latency compensation, so you actually had to lead your shots. With enough wasted childhood, you could begin to accurately predict how much you had to lead with different latencies. Almost nil under 50ms, right in front of them at 100milliseconds, a bit more for 200ms, 300ms, out to about 500ms. Funny coincidence, the distance you have to compensate for latency is pretty much identical to the amount you have to compensate for a running man size target at a corresponding distance in meters with 5.56.

You've never really seen a confused Drill Sgt until you qualify expert marksman your first time on the line at the moving target range. However, pretty much every FPS released from 2000 comes with that shit built in, so unless you're pushing 30, you probably didn't get these skills for free.
>>
>>32272986
noguns here, a lot of games have bullet physics nowadays, not sure how accurate they are though, maybe a hasguns can verify

https://youtu.be/TJ1wMa_56Cw?t=25s
check these two shots (guesstimating the distance)
25s ~150-200m
48s ~300m

the game says it's a 12x scope (dunno how to verify) if that helps
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.