[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John Boyd Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: boyd.jpg (83KB, 799x1221px) Image search: [Google]
boyd.jpg
83KB, 799x1221px
I've read Revolt of the Majors and its decidedly unflattering portrayal of Boyd. However, there doesn't seem to be much criticism or discussion of the thesis. I know that Boyd was a relentless self-promoter, but I'm curious if perhaps Michel is not giving him enough credit.
>>
Boyd is an interesting case. He was the quintessential "Technical Prima Donna" to use Scott Adam's humorous designation.

He was one of the crudest, most abrasive, aggressive, insubordinate bastards to ever join the United States Air Force.

But everything he said was absolutely right, and that's why everyone hated him the most.

If he called you a fucking limp-dicked faggot shit-eater (which is probably something he would actually say) it was guaranteed he had a 30 page memorandum backing up proving exactly why you were a useless shithead. And you have no rebuttal, so the only thing you can be mad at is him hurting your fee-fees.

Boyd revolutionized the Air Force for the better. There is no way that can be denied or revised.

My final opinion on him is that imagine how much he could have accomplished on top of that if he didn't set generals' ties on fire or call them fucking morons in the middle of Pentagon hallways.
>>
File: simplespurdo.png (13KB, 528x404px) Image search: [Google]
simplespurdo.png
13KB, 528x404px
>>32260031
>Boyd
>Right
>>
>>32258672
I hate how Big Blue parades Boyd, Jimmy Doolittle, and Curtis Lemay as heroes of the service despite the fact they would never get to be the leaders they were if they joined today.
>>
>>32260108

Yeah, I'm so glad we have safe spaces and sensitivity training now to keep big scary men with new ideas away from us. We might actuallly have to stop doing SAPR briefings and do war things!
>>
>>32260031
>But everything he said was absolutely right
Alternate reality threads belong on
>>>/x/
>>
>>32260135
>>32260062

OH yeah, I forgot that EM theory of propulsion was a complete myth and wasn't actually adopted by every pilot training curriculum worldwide.

I must have hallucinated the last 30 years.
>>
>>32260151
He stated the obvious and pretended he invented it.
>>
>>32260185

By that logic the men who brought us Algebra and Calculus are hacks because they stated the obvious and claimed to invent it.

The Pentagon discredits him simply because they're bitter they were too stupid and/or narrow-minded to see the glaringly obvious before a social misfit did.
>>
>>32260236
Let me rephrase that for you, Mr. Sprey.
He said something everybody already knew and pretended he invented it.
>>
>>32260250

So taking something a lot of people know and expressing it mathematically so that it is more easily understood and can be refined, taught, and communicated better is absolutely nothing to be proud of.

Gotcha.
>>
>>32260284
>Russian
Citation needed you subhuman senile French surrender expert.
>>
>>32260250

He stated in a mathematical fashion something that everyone already knew in their gut. That's why Newton and Liebnetz were also heralded as geniuses. We all knew that continuously changing variables influenced each other in... ways 'n stuff. Showing what the stuff is mathematically rigorously is what people get credit for.
>>
>>32260314
He got his mathematician friend to do all the actual crunching while egregiously misusing quantum mechanics.
>>
>>32260400

That guy got him into the lab to sneak use of the computer.

Holy shit it's almost like you did zero research and just believe the memes people spew at you.
>>
>>32260031
So, do you have an a source which disproves or otherwise argues against Michel's claims in Revolt of the Majors?
>>
>>32260435

See the OP pic.
>>
>>32260452
lol no

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj04/fal04/mets.html
>>
>>32260808

The fuck is this shit? None of these "myths" bitched about in this opinion piece are reflected anywhere in the biography.

Hell the fact that the F15 was corrupted with unnecessary weight and Boyd's ensuing spiral is the sole focus of that entire section of the book.

What moron wrote this bulls-
>US Navy

Oh. That explains it.
>>
>>32260452
Michel argues against the claims made in Corram. Revolt of the Majors came out in 2006, Corram's "Boyd" came out in 2002. Has there been any response to the claims raised by Michel, which chronologically, Corram's book does not respond to?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.