[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Effective Range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Is there a good way to reliably increase effective range? I read somewhere that the sks had an effective range of 440 yrds but 7.62x39mm has less than that? Is this correct? and if so how to I maximize that 440yrd max range (or even increase it)?
>>
>>32255810
Longer barrel (more velocity), accurization, optics, optimal projectiles.
>>
>>32255810
There isn't really any good way of doing that, short of maybe a lighter bullet with a higher powder charge, but that's it's own can of worms.
Really, 7.62x39mm was never a great long range cartridge.

If you want more range, either move to a .223 rifle, or move up to a .308 battle rifle, like a PTR91 (H&K G3 clone), fairly affordable and a good entrylevel BR.

Or if a self-loading action isn't required, a bolt-action rifle in .270 has quite a lot of reach.
>>
>>32255846
Finding a longer barrel for an SKS isn't going to be a cakewalk.
>>
>>32255867
I see what your saying, but realistically I probably won't ever shoot past 500 yrds. Besides, my sks holds a lot of sentimental value so I was hoping there was a way to make the best use of it that I could in terms of range?
>>
>>32255888
Why? The cartridge isn't made to go for long and neither is the rifle.

No part of that gun is meant to be used for anything besides close to mid range fighting.
>>
File: batman.jpg (14KB, 310x232px) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
14KB, 310x232px
>>32255910
>>
>>32255810

Range is usually attributed to:

Faster projectile at a given range = less wind drift (wind drift is the biggest concern for accuracy)
Is the projectile supersonic? No = super to sub transition gives instability

Power is the best factor to determine range

Same bullet driven faster = more range

Longer, more streamlined projectiles for a given caliber also improves range, as drag is less

Longer barrel (within reason) = more velocity
>>
>>32255810

Get a barrel chambered in 6.5mm and then shoot that. Dont think those exist but ive seen an AK chambered in 6.5.

> 800 yards easy
> 1000 yards if you put some love into it

>>32256033
Actually there's almost no laminar flow of the air over a bullet's surface, the tip of the bullet pierces the air and being supersonic creates a giant vacuum behind it.

The length and spinning motion of the bullet however keeps it focused forward due to centripetal force.

When the bullet leaves the muzzle the powder blast also erupts on all sides of the bullet and even envelops it for some distance after leaving the barrel. By having a Boat Tail this powder blast is deflected more efficiently to the sides just like having a pointed tip efficiently deflects the wind.

> reduces the wobble imparted by this instability, which would only be magnified downrange

Having centralized mass of the bullet extend further back in the boat tail also adds further spin stabilization.

Further, if you wanted a bullet to be more streamlined or present less drag you would need to make it both Longer and Thinner because just like piercing armor or other materials a thinner projectile encounters less resistance (force is applied against a smaller surface area), and with more mass behind it in line it adds more force on that surface area. Be it an armor plate, bone and skin, or the wind itself.

> crossbow bolts, arrows, APFSDS rounds, etc are the best at this
>>
>>32255810
Set the rear sight on the 1 setting and a target at 25 yards.
Adjust the wind egg and elevation with the front sight to hit the centre of the target.
Then move the target to 100 yards and fine tune the elevation. Once you have it set at 100 yards you are ready to go.
100 meters = 109.4 yards so using yards instead of meters to set the sights will result in a less than 1 inch error at 200 yards.

if you have sight convergence at 200 yards
at 300 yards aim at a persons head to hit their centre of mass

>>32255846
16" barrel
715 m/s
20" barrel
735 m/s

but it could do with a thicker barrel
and perhaps threaded is better than pinned
also one has to decide if you want the barrel to shoot best hot or cold

don't know if 7.62x39 sabot is any good
but it might just give a better mpbr
>>
File: 299_1000.jpg (44KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
299_1000.jpg
44KB, 370x370px
That's one ugly sks. Pic unrelated
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.