[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Secret clearance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (286KB, 2048x1250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
286KB, 2048x1250px
Since this is military related I thought it would most likely be best to post it on this board. If not, lead me elsewhere.

Anyways, Im trying to become an army ranger by the end of next year (a year from now) and im aware you need a secret clearance to join. My question is how strict are they? For the rangers atleast. I ask because i used to smoke weed frequently and experimented with dmt (dimethiltrypdamine) and acid. The only pro i have on my side is that this all happened when I was young probably around 16, and im 19 now. I can't fucking sleep thinking i might not even have a chance joining. Help.
>>
>>32253065
0.093987234 seconds in Google
http://www.goarmy.com/ranger/being-a-ranger.html
>>
>>32253077
Just read the entire thing. It mentioned nothing about secret clearances.
>>
You should probably lie
>>
>>32253065
> Im trying to become an army ranger
>The only pro i have on my side is that this all happened when I was young probably around 16, and im 19 now
Just worry about becoming a Ranger. Focus on that.
>>
>>32253065
>this all happened when I was young
>probably around 16
>and im 19 now
Lolzors.
>>
>>32253098
Ok, go into Google and type in your question. Or better yet go down to a recruiting office and ask them.
>>
>>32253105
Fuck. Im trying to stay away from lying. The truth will eventually bite me in the ass.
>>
>>32253116
>>
>>32253112
Ive tried looking everywhere on the Internet including forums. Sounds a bit sketch talking this things with a recruiter but maybe your right.
>>
>>32253111
Plz no bully papa
>>
>>32253123
Ill keep that in mind. Problem with lying (or believing the truth nudge nudge) is that if you get caught thats it. Pretty sure you can't ever try for a secret clearance again.
>>
They don't care what you did when you're 16. How the fuck would they ever know? You're fine.
>>
>>32253109
Fug senpai, you're right 100% but what if it comes down to me doing all this for nothing? Ill try nonetheless but this is gonna be in my head till the very end.
>>
Just say fucking nothing and say you were clean good boi.

People get Secret clearances at my job all the fucking time who are obviously people who were experimenting with everything under the sun in college or earlier, and I'm always hearing about dudes fucking up cuz they were trippin while down in a submarine or some shit.

Civilian world is a little different ya, but, Secret basically means you aren't probably a terrorist or a felon. They are way more concerned about the few credit cards I stopped paying on in college than any kind of substances I might have been involved with. I smoked hella weed a few months before I went for my orientation physical and was fine, Unless you do something that stays in your system forever in enough amounts to raise eyebrows when they do a physical, or you have big doctors reports that you provide to the army which say "This fucking faggot rolled hella shrooms and is a menace 2 society" then you're basically just supposed to say "nah I'm good" and leave it to that.
>>
File: 1475573618422.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1475573618422.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>32253198
>but what if it comes down to me doing all this for nothing?
I doubt guys that have come before you were all choir boys. And i'm sure ones after you won't be either. Don't let this little high school bullshit drug experimentation thing be your excuse for not doing it. Either get on with it or don't.
>>
Since secret clearances do go back 7years. My last resort would be to attempt a clearance 7 years from the time it happened so when im around 23 tthough thats a far wait but atleast it doesnt count as lying, suggestions?
>>
>>32253198
>>32253247
Oh yeah and forgot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UQwyKrTtI
>>
>>32253249

Another Protip: If shit like this seriously trips you up, you already failed pardner. Dudes who go into this shit know that you're probably gonna be doing some fucked up shit when deployed and gonna have to actually keep some secrets and lie a fucking lot. If you can't even handle putting these types of things under the blanket then they aren't going to put you into anything more intense than topping up the mess line.

Learn to handle lying your fucking ass off when you need to, how to swallow that shit and bury it deep and never think about it again.
>>
>>32253237
The thing that gets to me is.. Say I lie, life and career go perfect with no problem. If a top secret clearance ever shows up, then i imagine im very well fucked.
>>
>>32253116
Bruh, they will never know if you don't tell them; unless you give references that know you did drugs. Then you stupid.
>>
>>32253285
This. Unless you piss hot or you got busted(record) then the most likely they're relying on you to snitch yourself out to them.
>>
>>32253247
>>32253285
You guys are probably right. And the problem is not that i can't lie, it's just that i wanted to get in this truthfully as possible.
>>32253247
Fuck, anon. Now you got me all fucking pumped.
>>
>>32253290
I have absolutely nothing on my record so i got that going for me lmao
>>
Be honest, don't lie. I can reflect what that other anon said, although I'm not American, but they do this shit to indemnify themselves. Everyone's broken the law at some stage, it'd be ridiculous to deny someone based on that.

Also, the most embarrassing questions are the sexual stuff.

They're looking for risks, actual proper risks. Like do you owe $50,000 in gambling debts to a guy named 'Meatcleaver' or do you autoerotically asphyxiate yourself to MLP, or do you disappear for days at a time in a meth-fueled binge while trying to perfect the art of talking to insects.

Stuff that would compromise all the money they're about to invest in you, stuff that's going to prevent you from doing your job well, stuff that a foreign nation could use to turn you into a cartoon supervillain.
>>
Fuck it, telling the truth. And if don't get it then well, shit, im the only one to blame. Appreciate all comments and concerns. Thanks /k/ommandos.
>>
>>32253376
Fug hopefully they don't look at my search history kek
>>
>>32253385
>>32253400
Tell the truth. When I enlisted 6 or so years ago they asked if I ever did drugs. They don't care if you do as long as you tell the truth and don't do them again. And almost everyone in the military needs a security clearance. They're not that hard to get. Top Secret is a different story. I only had secret.
TFW I was one of the very few muhreens that wasn't a pothead.
>>
>>32253309
OP, LIE.

If you cant keep stupid kid stuff to yourself then you wont survive working in close knit groups.

Think about it, lets say your buddy forgot to mop the barracks floor and if he gets in trouble he misses his kids birthday, what are you gonna do? Tell on him because its the truth, or take one for the team so he can be with his kid and not be stuck on guard duty for a stupid reason?

Or howbout when youre buddies are all hungover from the strip club the previous night, and the sgt asks you to confirm that they were in the barracks all night? Do you rat them out?

just remembered a real example:
Buddy of mine and his roomate were underage drinking(age 20) in their barracks room one night. They didnt get caught and just drank a couple of beers. Buddies roomate felt guilty and reported both of them to the sgt. Both of them dropped 2 ranks down, and had to attend AA for 6 months. Do you think it was worth it to do that? To lose a paycheck, and have to re earn rank, in addition to being on the shit list for extra guard duty and having a curfew with check ins every night for half a year?
>>
>>32253438
That's different bro, lying in this and getting caught means game over and never becoming a ranger. Is the only thing i fucking want. Your buddies roomate sound like a real dickhead though lmao. I would of beat his ass like Pvt.Pyle
>>
>>32253065
No, OP, you've never done drugs. ;)
>>
Bruh, it's easy as fuck to get a secret clearance.
>>
>>32253065
>mfw this whole thread
jfc you already get a secret clearance once you're military. lie on the fucking application or you have no chances of joining. don't be some fucking dumbass trying to be all honorable and shit by not lying. i know plenty of fucking people who lied and are serving honorably. even back then they gave waivers for pot smoking hippies like you, but that was during wartime. peacetime army isn't the same. you either lie or get fucked. either way you're a fucking piece of shit and don't deserve rangers if you're this dumb and anxious already.
>>
>>32253456
How would you get caught though? Are you going to brag about it? Youre not going to get a poly unless youre intel, if thats what youre worried about. As someone who actually is involved in the process of granting TS/sci clearances on a weekly basis, im telling you to white lie this shit and to reimagine that in your childhood you werent a druggy shitbag
>>
>>32253503
This.

Secret clearence is not a big deal at all, if i remember correctly almost everyone in my infantry unit had to get one prior to being deployed. The thing that was fucking over people getting secret clearence was having bad credit/owing money to people. They feel that this could be one day used against you, so debt is a no no.

As far as drugs go, no one cares if you dont tell. Hell my recruiter bought me detox...Ive done the drugs youve listed and much much more, dont worry just say u never did drugs on your mep entrance. Make sure to get ranger bat in your contract too.

Good luck, rangers lead the way brotha.
>>
>>32253533
Do they talk to people youve known for secret clearance or is that only for top secret?
>>
>>32253557
That's only TS. I has my secret before I even knew I needed it.
>>
>>32253544
>>32253533
Makes sense, looks like lying is the best option then. Thanks again guys.
>>
Stay clean for the year and concentrate on your training. As long as you don't decide to experiment again, past drug use is a non issue. Just don't tell them
>>
>>32253065

anything beyond "i experimented with weed once, but haven't tried it since" means you're not joining the military. i know a guy who got kicked out of the air force as an air traffic controller for taking acid, and the FAA won't ever let him be an air traffic controller again due to him taking acid once.

so no, i would not like fries with my order.
>>
I have friends and family with Secret and above clearances (for military, defense industry, and government jobs). Here is the most important thing: DO NOT LIE!

The point of the SF-86 and the whole investigation process is:

1. To discover information that an adversary could use to pressure or blackmail you, and
2. To determine whether you have a reliable personality. In other words, to figure out if you're a liar.

It does not matter what it is. It does not matter when it happened. What matters is whether you LIE about it. So don't.

Anyway, as long as you tell them about it, stuff you did at age 16 won't matter. Friend of mine at Lockheed smoked weed all through college. Told the government when he applied for his clearance. They said "well don't do that anymore, and come back in a year." Last I heard, he still has his TS.
>>
>>32253879 here.

Goes without saying though, do drugs shortly before applying (or even worse, while serving) and you're out.
>>
>>32253879
Dammit man now you got me all mixed up again. Im not worried about the weed part its the other two that im paranoid about
>>
If you mention you did DMT, you're fucked, they'll reject you
You can mention experimental pot use though
>>
>>32253116
Don't be surprised if this fucks you over on your SF-86
>>
>>32253065
If you've ever smoked weed it may block your clearance. They specifically ask about it and you have to answer under oath. TSSCI usually involves a polygraph as well.

Dont do drugs you losers.
>>
>>32253892
DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH.

You will get yourself barred from enlistment. And then u will never be able to join. If you notice, everyone who is saying tell the truth has examples of people telling about weed. Thats fine and dandy, tell them about weed. But if u tell them about anything else, they will look at that as if you were taking heroin or crack, and those are auto no go for joining.

So i repeat, DO NOT TELL THE TRUTH.
>>
>>32253116
>Im trying to stay away from lying.

It's part of the test, lad.

You have to be able to lie to be a real operatah.
>>
>>32254289
>TSSCI usually involves a polygraph as well

Protip: Take a beta blocker to pass. 40mg dose of propanolol. No one tests for this except Shin Bet..
>>
>>32253065
>Im trying to become an army ranger by the end of next year (a year from now) and im aware you need a secret clearance to join.

Dude are you even in the army currently?
>>
>>32253065

I suggest that you first deny any drug use but if they pressure you then say that you smoked weed. Give them something to avoid telling about the harder stuff.
>>
>>32254717
Lying to join is one thing, but lying during a background investigation for a security clearance is totally different. If he tells the truth, there's a chance they will disqualify him. If they find out he's lying, they will definitely disqualify him, even if they find out long after the initial background investigation (it's not over just because you passed once). If they retroactively pull his clearance for lying, he may be arrested or dishonorably discharged and forced to repay the cost of his training.

During the investigation they will dig into his personal life until they find the people who hate him. If there are any inconsistencies in what people tell them, they will dig until they find out what's going on. If anyone out there knows what he did, there's a good chance they will find out about it.

Prior drug use isn't always a disqualifier for a security clearance. If it happened a log time ago and you're clearly past it, and you're honest about it, it probably won't be a big deal. But it might be if it was recent or involved other crimes/inappropriate behavior. But the one thing that will absolutely, without a doubt, disqualify you from a security clearance is getting caught lying.
>>
>>32253065
Dude.

"Have you ever consummed scheduled substances?"
>Yes.
"When?"
>When I was a teenager.
"What did you take?"
>Weed.
"Are you still smoking weed?"
>No.
"Do you plan on smoking weed again in the future?"
>No.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>32254825
>forced to repay training
Lolwut? Never happened

>telling the truth
Why? Seriously? Lets be fucking real here, OP is maybe going to get an 18x or 11x contract. Its not mother fucking intel. He'll never do intel if hes infantry.... most he'll need is a ts clearance and that wouldn't be for fucking years if ever.
>>
>>32254888
You forgot

>have you tried it more than 3 times?
Yes

>so you enjoy consuming drugs?
P...pl...please dont dq me. Ill suck your dick
>>
So lying will fuck me over, the truth will fuck me over. Gonna have to take the wait option and try when im around 23 or 24 this way I won't technically be lying since secret clearances only go back 7 years(correct me if im wrong). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, ill do infantry till then and attempt to enter with both experience and time served in the military. Hopefully my knees are still working kek
>>
>>32254915
Whatever it takes am i rr-right?
>>
>>32253533
sup OPM, thanks for losing my info despite being warned repeatedly about a potential breech, you worthless, cum guzzling, faggots
>>
>>32254916
Lying wont fuck you over dipshit. You get a security clearance when you enlist. You will probably need a secret clearance if you actually become a ranger. You wont make e5 in 4 years especially in a garrison army. Theres your 7 years of clean, non drug use, with excellent references to show youve never done drugs. Come the fuck on...
>>
>>32254944
You can't expect a member of the CoD generation to think things through. FFS, he's already coming to 4chan for life advice.
>>
Lie. Lie. Lie. No one is gonna find that shit in your system, and they're not gonna know any other way. Being peacetime they're looking to make cuts so they're looking for shit to disqualify you for. Do not admit to it, how are they ever gonna find out?
>>
>>32253065
Actual dialogue between me and my recruiter in 2007.
>"anon, have you ever smoked weed."
>"Uh, maybe, uh, yeah."
>sgt.recruiter looks me dead in the eyes
>"I'll ask again, anon, have you ever smoked weed?"
>"um, no."
>"That's the answer I was looking for. You tell the same thing to MEPS. I swear to god, if you fail a piss test..."
two unfailed piss tests later I was in the army with a secret clearance
Don't waste the recruiters time if your gonna walk in there and throw your self in the trash.
Either go and lie like everyone else, or stay home.
Choice is yours, washout.
>>
A DoD secret it cake. Literally everyone in the airforce has one. Every single airman that even looks at a plan has to have one, they hand them out like candy.
>>
>>32255004
Same convo in 2013 when i went in as a 09S
>>
>>32253065

Just tell them about your dumb drugs. I have a TS/SCI and told them about smoking pot. They don't care as long as you aren't doing it now.
>>
>>32254275
this.

hard drugs are considered precursors for addiction.

addiction leads to poor decision making and exploitable personal problems.

repeat after me "I dont recall"

3 most powerful words in the english language
>>
>>32253065
If you were never arrested or investigated for the drugs AND you're anything other than the world's worst liar, they will never know.

That being said, you're a piece of shit and should avoid the military as you will relapse into your piece-of-shit habits and fuck over your buddies.
>>
>>32255048
>you will relapse into your piece-of-shit habits and fuck over your buddies

or the country when the chinks find useable information to use as leverage
>>
>>32253270
Career military here. I have held a secret, a top secret, and an (interim) TS-SCI. Basically every level of clearance somebody not a general officer/Presidential Cabinet can.

Here's what they care about
>your finances
Are you in debt? Do you have a history of going into debt for things other than a single mortgage or routine car loan? Can't have more than $25k in unsecured debt (anything that isn't student loan, mortgage, car loan) for TS.
>your immediate family
Is Uncle Jimbob a KKK member/white supremacist? Is Great-Aunt Ashikaka a former member of Boko Haram? Is your third-cousin Kraig going to too many ISIL-oriented websites? Did your mom and dad live well outside their means (goes back to your finances)?
>your medical history
Because fuck HIPAA. Do you have any chronic medical conditions that would become so expensive you would be tempted to accept bribes and/or sell state secrets and/or embezzle? Do you have a DOCUMENTED history of substance abuse (including alcohol/tobacco) that required medical treatment, including voluntary (AA referral, asking for Nicorette/patches, voluntary detox, etc)?
>your work history
Have you ever been fired for cause? Have you routinely cycled through jobs, spending little time at any one?

These are what they care about. They really don't care if you did drugs as long as you weren't dumb enough to get caught doing drugs.
>>
As someone who nearly joined the Navy as an officer. This shit is exactly why I opted out. Military culture is TOXIC. All it is is bros and lying and no Honor. You all think you have honor but its garbage and worthless. It's all imaginary. a Front. Fuckin disgusting what the military has become. No honor. No Pride. No strength. No righteousness. Satan's military now.
>>
>>32255103
Meh, not as a Ranger. They don't actually get told anything overly important.
>>
>>32253065
Part of my job is vetting and sniffing out security risks in squaddies for the MoD. It might be a little different for you Americans but here's my tips.

The golden rule is not to lie about anything you could conceivably be caught on. Everyone does it about something relitevely minor but if I hand a hot drugs test or an undisclosed debt to a recruiting officer then you're not getting in and you're going to get blacklisted from any other branch too. Depending on the infraction you might get reported to the police too (sounds stupid but I have to report any illegal activity I catch when vetting for RMAS directly to the police).
Drugs are a big no for us on paper but no-one is going to grill your friends and family about it. I couldn't comment on "secret clearances" because I honestly have no idea what that would mean for Americans but for us the focus is "can this information be used to blackmail or intimidate you." Drug debts are a very big deal, taking them recreationally? We only care if we're looking for an excuse to block you.

The thing that catches out most people is social media. We're probably a lot stricter than you on this but you can bet that someone will be watching your accounts for at least the first three months after your application hits the vetting stage. The rule of thumb there is don't be a fucking idiot and you'll be fine. A guy I work with once spent two weeks investigating some prick that got approached by a foreign intelligence operative after he used a picture of himself with his Typhoon on his Tinder page. There was a bit of a crackdown after that so we always check out recruits in quite a high level of detail to see if you have basic self awareness.

TL;DR: Stop the drugs well before you apply, admit to anything that's on record but avoid specifically denying anything that's not, clean up your social media, turn off geo-tagging on your media, and don't forget to not be an asshole.
>>
File: 1481050086058.jpg (53KB, 573x467px) Image search: [Google]
1481050086058.jpg
53KB, 573x467px
>>32253065

if you got convicted of any drug charges you should tell the recruiter/meps

if you just did dmt and lsd 3 years ago, lie your butt off about it, aint nobody gonna find out
>>
>>32255106
None of those other than routinely cycled through jobs.
>>32255048
I was never addicted to any and have no desire to do any again

Waiting might be my best bet desu
>>
>>32255158
I don't use social media (facebook, insta, etc.)
>>
>>32253198
>doing all this for nothing
Even if you manage not to make the regiment, you'll still be in excellent shape and will have cultivated a high level of self-discipline, which are two traits you don't see in every swinging dick walking down the street.

Be confident in yourself and keep your goddamned mouth shut about drugs.
>>
>>32253400
Rangers need top secret clearance. Don't lie because they will know, or they will find out. As long as your browser history isn't anything illegal you'll be ok. It's not illegal to be a degenerate.
>>
>>32255343
>It's not illegal to be a degenerate
Amen to that
>>
>>32254916
Stop being a bitch and just lie.
>>
>Be me
>be Inna high-speed airborne infantry batallion
>training and jumping and shootiong and being huah as shit
>Army sez, "Okay troops, listen up. We are having an amnesty period before our next drug test. If any of you heroes were smoking, speak up now before you piss hot and you will be okay. If you don't and get caught, that's your ass."
>My buddy sez "I m-might have smoked a little. Plz be gentle."
>Signs some forms.
>Pisses clean
>Gets kicked the fuck out the army fast as fuck.

True story. It illustrates quite clearly how much the army values "honesty."

Also, the story of Pat Tillman shows another, darker side of how valuable secrets are to the Rangers.
>>
>>32255111

wtf I hate the military now
>>
>>32253065
I didn't read all the replies. So this has probably been said. I have a TS clearance. They give out secrets like candy desu. The drug use they don't give two shits about if it was before the point you enter the DEP. There's a waiver for everything. If your recruiter doesn't seem cool with it, come clean when you fill out your background check stuff. Your commander will have to sign off on your waivers, which he/she almost certainly will if you have a clean record. You're fine.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.