[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /k/ legal advice time, now ik anons on the internet probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: 62626w8w8.jpg (29KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
62626w8w8.jpg
29KB, 333x500px
so /k/ legal advice time, now ik anons on the internet probably isnt the best source but im taking everything with some salt here. also im aware gun laws are different in different states so my question is specifially for illinois

the question is, if i get pulled over with a legally carried rifle (unloaded and encased) and the officer askes if i have a weapon in the car and i say yes, what happens then? cam he/she legally inspect/check/search my rifle? or can i just show them my foid and call it good. reason i ask is because the other day i had my 1911 with me under my seat, i got stopped and one of their last questions was if i had a weapo. or drugs in the vehical, it was 2am at the time, (i was getting a warning for not stopping completely at a stop sign btw) and i simplely lied and said "no i dont officer" and they went on their way.

however im not sure how the situation had played out if i had my rifle in its bag in the back seat, in plain sight of the officer. i tried looking online but everything is regarding concealed carry and if one should tell the officer first.

i just dont want an officer to have any excuse to search my shit, not like i have anything its just the idea of it, also most cops around here are young and over zealous about everything
>>
you will be cuffed an searched
>>
>>32251562
I wish I had link of Vietnam Vet killing that cop and driving away.
>>
>>32251562 Just be cool and cooperate with them and everything will be ok. If they ask to see it show them, 9 times outa ten they'll say ok and resume with the traffic stop.
>>
>>32251712
Found it. On mobile. Long link but works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1150706/WARNING-GRAPHIC-Police-officer-shot-dead-Vietnam-veteran.html&ved=0ahUKEwjUrr-37OPQAhWorFQKHZlLCg0QuAIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNGmALSdj7K070W5CVgC8W9RqBF9Gw
>>
>>32251562
They will ask you to step out of the car, ask if you have anything on you, ask if the rifle is loaded and if they can inspect it.

You have the right to say no. If you did nothing wrong you will be let go after they finish with the ticket.
>>
>>32251803
Agree with this. I think the cop will want to separate you from the firearm, maybe secure the firearm (put it in their possession) but as long as you have no real problems (outstanding warrants, etc...) then you can probably go on your way.
>>
>>32251562
If you're not required to tell them, don't.
If you are required to tell them give them you FOID with your driver's license. You will definitely be asked as for details: what, where and if loaded. You will probably be asked to leave the vehicle. You might be cuffed and searched.

>in plain sight of the officer.
If it's in plain sight there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
Well in most states having a weapon in your vehicle is no grounds for a search. Carrying a gun in your car is perfectly legal. I just wouldn't tell them to begin with though. Can you get in legal trouble for lying?
>>
File: 1480789595756.jpg (550KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1480789595756.jpg
550KB, 1728x1152px
Pretty sure you're required to tell an officer you have a firearm in the car as soon as they come up to you. I know in CA it's the law. I doubt most of them would care, unless you're some sketchy looking mother fucker. I don't think you're supposed to just, "have a gun" laying around in your car. Either you're transporting it and it should be in the trunk, or you're open/concealed carrying and it's on your belt or something and in which case it's probably in plain sight anyways. I don't think they would or even are allowed to search you just because you have a firearm. However since I believe it's your duty to tell them, and he asked you as he was leaving.. if you had said yes he might have been like, "why didn't you say so at first?" And then yeah you might have been fucked. So good on you for lying. So yeah, unless you're a nog just tell em. Let's them know you're being honest and cooperative as well as respectful.
>>
>>32251838
>>32251858
>>32251879
you see thats my concern here, im not really sure on what im required to do and whats not required, or legal.

like for example ik i cany deny any searches of my vehical unless they have probable cause. when i got stoped right after they asked about weapons or drugs they asked if they could search the vehical and i knew i was wirhin my right to say "i do not consent to any searches". but the fact they asked about weapons first made me wonder if shit got different at that point.

if i had my rifle, i drive a Pontiac Grand Prix so i cant exactilly hide the rifle under the back seat, so if i had it with me there would be no question, the officer would see it. i just dont know if i keep my right to deny any searches if a weapon is involved. i dont know if "having a gun in the backseat" counts twards probable cause.
>>
>>32251980
Found this site OP
http://concealednation.org/2015/07/do-you-have-a-duty-to-inform-when-carrying-concealed-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

seems like most states it is not required.. it's up to the officer whether or not they ask.. I guess it can go either way. Some cops may get kinda nervous if you tell them, some might appreciate it.. all in all what they don't know can't hurt them or you. Regardless you should always keep your firearms in the trunk, especially rifles. I don't see why you would ever need to have your rifle in the backseat. Stop being sketchy. If you're gonna keep a handgun in the car at least put in the glovebox. You're only setting yourself up for disaster by having guns in plain sight.
>>
>>32251879
>Can you get in legal trouble for lying?
Look through your Bill of Rights next to the number 5.
>>
>>32252027
you see thats the stuff i found and its not the questions im asking, i wouldnt be conceal carrying, i legally cant as im only 20 and need to be 21 to get my ccw permit.

i personally dont see why having a firearm in the back seat should be a problem, also what if i still had my truck, they dont exactilly have a trunk to keep a rifle out of sight so what would make it different then a car.

im just not sure of the legal jargon. and if i can legally deny any searches of the weapon or not.
>>
>>32252104
>i personally dont see why having a firearm in the back seat should be a problem
Because it's within reach. The cop doesn't know if you're a dangerous person or not, so if you have a gun that you can easily get to and he goes back to his car to run your information.. how does he know he's not gonna be walking up to a bullet when he comes back? If you had a truck then obviously you don't have a choice, and in that case you would definitely want to tell the officer. If you have a choice then you should always keep it in the trunk. Having a gun does not mean they can search you, but if they were already to search you then its better to tell them. How do you know if you're going to be searched? You don't. So you're better off just telling them. The more you resist and make things harder on them the more they think you don't need that gun and you start digging your hole deeper and deeper. Lying to cops never gets you far unless you're actually in deep shit. Then lie your ass off. But if you've got nothing to hide just be honest man, jeez.
>>
>>32251562

Just say no.
>>
>>32251562
yell AM I BEING DETAINED over and over until you get tazed/billy clubed and than invest in the help of your local ACLU chapter.
>>
>>32251767
>>32251712

Damn, shouldn't of fucked with him.
>>
>>32251858
>if you're not required to tell them, don't.

That's worded a little poorly. If they don't ASK then you're not required to tell them but 11 times out of 10 it's punishable to lie to officer lawfully inspecting your person. You can choose to remain silent but the gist of it is if you are gonna answer, then lying gets you in a shit heap of trouble it by all means wouldn't have.
>>
>>32251562
yes they can legally check your rifle to make sure it is being transported according to federal and state laws. always easier to lie. you of course are a law abiding citizen, so lying to the officer when he asks irrelevant questions is not illegal or obstructing his investigation. he can fish, and you can decide not to bite. due to the large percentage of faggotry in cops, the more you can reduce your contact with them the better. too many SJW rookie trigger happy idiots with a badge out there looking for their first "weapons bust" to show sarge
>>
>>32251879
>>32251879
>Can you get in legal trouble for lying?

no. only if you broke the law and are obstructing the officer's investigation. FYI cops lie all the time, to scare and intimidate. "it's illegal to lie to my sonny, do you have any guns in the car?" "i can search your whole car and really jam you up for hours, is that what you want?"
>>
>>32251933
>I know in CA it's the law.
no, it's not. most issuing agencies for CCW have a stipulation that says you are required to notify officers on contact that you are carrying. there is no state duty to notify officers of transported firearms you dipshit
>>
>>32251562

Use these words, "Fuck off pig! To hell with you bullyboy fascists!" Then drive off very quickly.
>>
>>32252251
terrible advice. i know of many stories of law abiding people with nothing to hide and out of their misplaced good nature trying to be overly helpful, get fucked over by incompetence of cops who dont know the law or end up wasting massive amounts of time while officer joebob or shaniqua run in circles trying to read applicable laws only to have to call a supervisor who is visibly embarrassed and cuts the citizens loose in the hopes there wont be a lawsuit
>>
>>32252027
>be me
>be driving home after dropping girl off
>AK in front passenger seat
>M&P9c in glovebox
>get stopped for speeding
>forgot my wallet. No DL or CHL on me
>oops
>cop approaches, sees AK
>sees my hands on wheel
>asks if it's loaded
>tell him yes, chambered
>asks me to step out
>walk to his car
>asks if I have my wallet
>lol nope
>what am I doing
>going home, dropped the Mrs off at work
>asks about my insurance
>in glovebox with my pistol
>says okay, doesn't even check
>another unit pulls up
>talk to him while first cop runs my name
>comes back, gives me a written warning
>sends me on my way with a handshake

Must suck to live in a commie state
>>
>>32253454
Actually, to be more accurate, the rifle was muzzle down into the floorboard with the pistol grip wedged between passenger seat and center console, just next to the stick. And he asked if I had my DL, and I said I had forgotten my wallet. Still lol, fuck commie duty to inform and must carry locked and all that bullshit. i feel bad for you guys that have to deal with that.
>>
>>32253311
He got pulled over for going 100...
>>
>>32251562
You're better off just telling them what's in your car. You could tell them you have nothing, but they might not like the shirt you're wearing or your bumper stickers so they'll claim they smelled pot on you or you led them to believe you might be hiding something. Then they find your gun, slam you to the ground and cuff you for hiding a weapon, and you get in WAY more trouble than you had to be in. Just tell the guy "yeah, I have a pistol, it's in X location, I have it because Y". Most cops are somewhat intelligent and if you claim you didn't know the laws they'd be happy to tell you laws and let you off with a warning.
I got stopped two days before my 21st birthday by State police with a cooler full of beer in my truck bed and three guns in my backseat and just shooting straight with the guy ended with me and the officer talking about dove hunting and our dogs. He gave me a warning for driving 92 in an 85 zone and warned me where the next speed traps would be.
>>
>>32251562
Your only legally required to say yes if it's on your person anon, at least where I'm at. If it's under the seat/in the glove box/center console/literally anywhere but in a holster attached to your person, you don't have to say anything about it.
>>
>sleeping in my car because I'm traveling
>cop wakes me up, asks what I'm doing blah blah blah
>"you have any weapons in the car"
>"yeah just a little .25 auto"
>"well just leave it in there and come out here to talk with me then"
>explain situation
>"alright well have a good trip"

Happened in VA. Pretty chill cops. They had two cruisers there. I'm guessing they were just bored at 0200.
>>
Got pulled over the other day.
>I have a firearm in the car, sir. Just so you're aware.
>That's okay, man. Mind if I see your drivers license and reg?
>walks back to cruiser
>comes back to me
>You're good to go. Just make sure the ice is cleared off your car. Don't want anyone getting hurt.
>Mutual respect means a good encounter with cops
>>
They'll ask you to keep your hands on the wheel, and then they'll ask where it is, and they *might* ask to inspect it and in such an event you will decline. Either way they'll fuck off and you'll fuck off and I'll keep filming until I get a good'un to make me famous on Live Leak.
>>
>>32251562
As a LEO, I can tell you this. The reason he asked, is that when they ran your license to see if you had a warrant out, they saw the FOID. CCW permits also show up. They ask to make sure they know where weapons are, and make sure you dont do anything to endanger them.
Usually goes like this.
>Anon, do you have any weapons in the car?
>Yeah officer, a long gun in the case in the trunk, and a pistol on my waistband at the 4 o'clock.
>Ok, please step out of the vehicle.

Then they'll perform a Terry Stop, to search for weapons. Usually hands behind back or on roof/hood. They'll find and clear the weapon, and set it on roof/hood, away from hands. Then either have you get back in car or hang out where they can see you and conduct business.

>Ok anon, for your safety and mine I need to remove that weapon from you. If ypu make any sudden movements I will respond with appropriate force, do you understand?
>yes officer.
>search and remove handgun, clear, Dr escalate.

Then usually a warning and some bullshit about guns and range buddies.
>>
>>32254427
Sheit.... don't think CHL comes up for LEO here. Wouldn't matter anyway as you don't need a CHL to conceal in your vehicle so. I know the officer looked up my DL though because he told me he did since I didn't have it on me. Said something like
>I saw you do have a DL so I won't cite you for not having it
>but in the future try not to forget it

Didn't say a thing about my CHL but again, I didn't need it in my car
>>
>>32253498
on a road with no other people
>>
>>32251767
scary
>>
>>32253311
>should not of

illiterate fuck
>>
>>32256749
Linking everyone in thread is spam and a rule violation.
>>
>>32256766
sorry I didn't know
>>
>>32256819
Retardation isn't an excuse.
>>
>>32251562
Learn to keep your rifle in the trunk. Some states have CCW laws that state you have to be permitted to carry a firearm in the passenger space of a car. If you have a CCW license, then zero fucks given, go about your business and always be polite, always be white.
>>
Baldwin Co. Al., FUCK sheriff hoss huey mack. Legally carrying will get you standing on the side of the road handcuffed while the piece of shit deputy searches your vehicle and runs the serial # treating a ccw holder like a criminal. Also highest ccw fee in state
t. has happened to me 3X
>>
>>32251562
>the officer askes if i have a weapon in the car
If you're not required by law to disclose the the possession, then don't.

>i just dont want an officer to have any excuse to search my shit
They have to articulate why they searched your car without consent and without a warrant. They need to see something in plain sight or the search.

You never consent to a search, ever. No matter what threats they make, you don't give consent.

You also record, with your phone, every interaction with the police, always. Live stream it to facebook, that's even better and great protection against a phone snatching cop
>>
>>32256749
delete this
>>
>>32257544
also don't forget to demand that they bring their supervisor to officiate your diplomatic relations as a sovereign citizen of planet earth, as you are not subject to Maritime Law under the constitution of human beings naturally residing and not actively participating in the United States Corporation.

Always validate to them that you are the PERSON, not the CORPORATION, and that they have NO JURISDICTION IN NON PARTISAN NON RATIFIED SOVEREIGN PRECONSTITUTIONAL NON CORPORATE RIGHTS OF SOVEREIGN PLANET EARTH and always demand to see their supervisor.
>>
>>32256766
>>32256833

Didn't link everyone - just you, samefag.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-08-20-02-25.png (394KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-08-20-02-25.png
394KB, 1080x1920px
>>32260691
Namefag fails again.
>>
>>32260712
>>32256766

you fell for it, heh.
nothing personnell.... samefag
>>
>>32260712
*unsheathes 45mm handgun*
>>
>>32260843
>>32260858
>>
>>32252091
5th amendment gives you the right to say "I don't want to answer that question" (which unfortunately is a de facto admission of guilt to most officers), not to lie.

Look up obstruction of justice.
>>
>>32260892
but h-h-how?
>>
>>32256749
(you)fag
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.