[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixing a .357 revolver that won't stay cocked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1481164841598335790851.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1481164841598335790851.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Alright /k/, here's the situation. I bought pic related around three years ago for self-defense. I live in a city infested with criminals and drug addicts. My area is a particularly bad one, and imposing white guys around here are a distinct and hated minority. I also rely heavily on public transportation, which anyone who lives in an American city can tell you is always nerve-wracking and occasionally harrowing.

Anyway, when I bought this gun I was looking for something sturdy with stopping power that you can pocket carry, and this came highly recommended (Charter Arms .44 Bulldog was first choice, but whatever).

Anyway, I was cleaning it for the first time in a while after nearly having to use it the other day and I noticed that the hammer doesn't stay cocked. Once you pull it back, it just drops. I was looking for the box for any warranty information or gunsmithing (?) instructions, but I can't find the shit anywhere.

So does anyone know how to fix this? Is it something simple, or would I need to send it back to Taurus to repair? Would they even fix it or would they just tell me to go fuck myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also acutely aware of the myriad poor decisions that have led me to my current unfortunate station in life, so if you just want to pile on about it blow me. Just need help; please and thank you.
>>
>>32250026
Taurus has a lifetime free repair guarantee. it would be the best option.

Chances are the sear is warn down too much or the hammer cutout rounded off.
>>
>>32250026
Is that rust?
>>
You could always saw off the hammer and make it a double action only, or take it to a gunsmith if thats your thing.

Stay safe OP
>>
>>32250026
What the fuck OP, do you store that thing in a tub of saltwater?

Take care of your damn gun
>>
>>32250026
are you sure its not double action only?
>>
>>32250026
Take out the hammer and let us see the sear. You should still be able to use it as a dao though.
>>
>>32250103
>DAO
>Exposed hammer

Any other bright ideas?
>>
>>32250110
could have been modified
>>
>>32250063
>Taurus has a lifetime free repair guarantee

Even if I didn't exactly take the best care of it? It wasn't purposeful, I just always carried it almost everywhere I went. Would that be considered normal wear and tear? It has rust on it for God's sake.
>>
>>32250026

Man that sucks, if you feel like you're mechanically inclined enough to fix it yourself you could check this out: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/22219-taurus-revolver-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html

Either that or send it to Taurus but it may take a while to get it back, I sent a revolver to S&W for warranty work and their turnaround was 3 weeks, I imagine the wait at Taurus is longer.
>>
File: 1455653504954.jpg (73KB, 640x568px) Image search: [Google]
1455653504954.jpg
73KB, 640x568px
twist: op is a jamal that stole a saturday night special from another nignog
>>
File: 1477353388924.jpg (100KB, 392x409px) Image search: [Google]
1477353388924.jpg
100KB, 392x409px
>covered in rust
>guize why isn't this working right
>>
http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-use.cfm

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-shipping.cfm

http://www.taurususa.com/prelog.cfm
>>
>>32250104
You mean just manually adjust the barrel for each subsequent shot? Pardon my ignorance. This is my first revolver. I've had maybe a dozen semi-autos, but I bought this under the impression it would be sturdier. If I'd cocked the hammer on this nutcase street freak the other day, he would be dead and I'd most likely be in the cooler
>>
>>32250217
Wait, the hammer actually does not rotate the cylinder?
>>
>>32250152
Most likely I'd fuck it up trying to do it myself. I could do without it for a month I suppose. I've got something for the house, I'd just be vulnerable on the streets.

If I were to drop like 100 bucks on some used piece of shit .25 or .380 at the pawn shop for the interim, what's a decent cheap option? Jimenez? Hi-Point? Had a Jennings .380 that was good, but I don't think Jennings is even around anymore.

I saw a 9mm Jimenez at the pawn shop the ither day for 90 bucks. Would that shit blow up in my hand? Looked like some shit some kid made in shop class.
>>
>>32250127
Yes. Lifetime of the weapon. No matter what.
>>
>>32250242
No, it does. It wasn't, but it did after I cleaned it. I meant that you would basically just pull the hammer back and drop it in lieu of using the trigger? I suppose that would work. Just thought maybe someone knew a way to repair it without disassembly.
>>
>>32250396
No, you just pull the trigger.
Pulling the trigger on this gun should rotate cylinder and raise hammer. At the end of the trigger pull, gun locks up and hammer falls.
>>
>>32250396
no, anon above was saying you can still shoot it with the hammer down, or in double action (DA).
i dont know if id trust that gun with my life though, especially if its defective
>>
>>32250110
Old H&Rs are DOA and have an exposed hammer.
>>
>>32250127
http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm
>>
>>32250563
Sounds good.

>>32250484
>>32250413

I got it. So basically it's not really a big deal. Just eschew the hammer entirely.

Thank you to everyone for your help.This board's far more cordial and helpful than most I visit. It's appreciated /k/.
>>
OP, did you buy that gun used? I can assure you that its problem is either that the sear has either been filed down by some bubba who fancies himself a gunsmith or that the metal that Taurus uses for the internals is some kind of horrible zinc alloy with a bad heat treatment.

The former is likely if it was purchased used. Otherwise, its the latter.

As for whether you can fix this yourself: probably not. Even people who are pretty dexterous and quick at picking things up can make a mistake when it comes to the actual gunsmithing (ie not just a spring kit change) of a revolver. You will need to send it back for maintenance and hope that the BRs fix it and don't try to charge you.

Addendum: If you end up needing to replace the gun and still want a revolver, spend a little bit more and get one by Ruger or Smith and Wesson. There is actually a vast difference in quality between good brands like the above and cheapo ones like Taurus, Charter Arms, or RIA when it comes to revolvers due to the fact that revolvers are inherently more difficult to make and more expensive to produce than all other handguns. Spending $330 on a J-frame or ~$400 on an LCR as opposed to $~230 on a Taurus or RIA makes a world of difference in reliability, shootability, and warranty support.
>>
>>32250694
I wouldn't keep shooting the gun in its current state if you can help it. If the internals are wearing down prematurely because >Taurus, there's a chance that the whole gun may give up the ghost in the near future.
>>
>>32251711
>>32251667
Bought it new, but yeah I'm not planning on using it unless I absolutely have to.

Honestly surprised nobody's asked me what happened yet. Maybe if the thread's still up in the morning I'll greentext it. Was curious about the laws concerning my actions anyway, and you guys seem informed. See you in 8-10 hrs if anybody gives a shit about a legal dilemma and the thread's not deleted.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>32253099

>that gif

Holy shit
>>
File: 1481113835206.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481113835206.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>32250217
>but I bought this under the impression it would be sturdier
>taurus
>>
>>32250085
There is no way it's not. Rusted gun that won't stay cocked. Who the hell would buy that sort of thing? I can't imagine him not buying the hottest .357 mag loads he can find either. Throwing high pressure rounds into a rusted broken ass gun probably aint going to seem like a bad idea to OP.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.