[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find a Flaw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4026.jpg (98KB, 768x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4026.jpg
98KB, 768x483px
These new cases are claimed to be lighter, stronger, and cheaper than traditional brass cases.

Is this snake oil?
>>
>>32242900
Can they be reloaded with standard equipment?
>>
galvanic corrosion.
>>
>>32242900
>belted case
>new
>>
>>32242900
Brass cases aren't exactly expensive to start with, especially if you factor in reloadability.
The next big thing will be reliable caseless ammo. Until that, traditional cases stay in use.
>>
>>32242945
>you
>aware of what this picture actually is

Pick one
>>
>>32242964
How about i pick none faggot. I quit this shit.
>>
>>32242900
The material properties of brass make it better than steel for case walls

>>32242935
Not really a problem, steel and aluminum are very close to one another in the galvanic series, plus everything is coated in aluminum

>>32242956
This
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (318KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
318KB, 1600x1200px
>>32242900
Looks like it can't be reloaded with "conventional" decapping+resizing dies because the stainless steel sleeve will dislodge from the aluminium case head. Just fucking great. Similar strain happens in every blowback and (in lesser extent) delayed blowback firearm in existence.

Also "less abrasive than brass". You know what that coarse shit on sand paper is made of? Aluminium oxide. You know what forms on all aluminium surfaces naturally? Aluminium oxide. Fucking geniuses (or is it geniusi?). Also I don't see too many self lubricating bushings made out of aluminium in the heavy (or any) industry.
>>
>>32243995
You're right about the strain, but the less abrasive than brass probably comes from the nickel coating. Same reason a lot of revolver shooters uses nickle plated brass, because it has lower friction coefficient and is easier to remove from the cylinder
>>
>>32242972
I don't know if I've ever seen a faggot fuck off like that before..

>>32242964
good job anon
>>
>>32243414
> Steel and aluminum are close to each other in the galvanic series.

While it is possible for you to be more wrong, it's quite difficult.

Steel and aluminum are not galvanically compatible. Like, at all.
>>
File: galvanic-series.gif (162KB, 813x979px) Image search: [Google]
galvanic-series.gif
162KB, 813x979px
>>32244327
Yeah, no. While stainless steels are really bad to be paired with aluminum, mild steels are very close to Al on the series (pic related). Generally a difference in values of .2V are considered compatible in seawater, so in the absence of seawater, that number becomes bigger. Aluminum and mild steel can easily be within that range.
>>
>>32244514
Now look at the steel and aluminum alloys you'd actually use for this application. Then look them up on a galvanic series chart with proper detailed values that isn't the first result on Google. You will discover none of the alloys you'd actually want to use are within .3 V of each other.
>>
>>32242900
brass 9mm is 20c/rd. when that comes to that price point ill give it a whirl
>>
>>32244556
I am, looking at both engineers edge and dfw machine, any type of aluminum is between .75V and .95V and plain carbon and low alloy steels which is what would be used in cases are .85V. Not to mention that everything is coated in Ni and if the aluminum is ever exposed, alumina is going to be instantly formed.
>>
>>32244556
>>32244881
REKT
>>
>>32242900
Only cheaper if you reload necked ammo because they will last longer.

In theory.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.