[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M14

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: god tier.gif (69KB, 1200x450px) Image search: [Google]
god tier.gif
69KB, 1200x450px
Is the M14 a superior service rifle to the M16?
>>
>>32240548

gee I don't know anon, why don't you ask yourself what the current service rifle is and why we haven't gone back to the M14 as standard.
>>
File: No.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
No.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>
>>32240548
No?
>>
>>32240548
>20 rounds
>heavy as fuck stock
>large round add weight
Use what works best I guess
>>
>>32240548
idk man I have a m14 and it's heavy and awkward as fuck and im not a manlet or anything
>>
Makes a heavier, longer club when runs out of ammo. So yes.
>>
>>32240548
Works good if you ain't a pussy. M16 is for POG's
>>
>>32240578
You're heavy and awkward as fuck.
>>
>>32240548
Superior range, superior caliber, can hunt with. Better than the shits in its own mouth M16/AR15.
>>
General maintenance is a bitch compared to other full-size battle rifles. If the US wanted a battle rifle, they should've just ripped off a design like the FAL or G3.
>>
>>32240667
Or AR-10
Wait....
>>
>>32240667
Literally how? M14/Mini14/M1 Carbine has one of the simplest and most durable manual of arms compared to the m16
>>
>>32240605
Those infantry guys must all be major pussies! Couldn't even carry M16s! Had to switch to M4s!!! They must have lil bitch eyes too because they use CCOs!
>>
It's a full auto rifle that can't be used full auto. Fuck no.
>>
>>32240696

I can take down an M4/M16 signifantly quicker that you can take down any of those. This may not seem like a huge issue, but I don't know how many times you've used a weapon in anger so I'll put it like this:

Immediate action is always your best friend, tap-rack-bang (SPORTS) is going to solve most of your problems. But in the moment of true fuck-you, when the stars have aligned and god hates you, you might need to perform remedial action.

I'll prefer a weapon that renders quicker remedial action over some marginal reliability difference, real or imagined, all day errday.

I'm not being mean, the tone of this post is respectful and merely intended for debate.
>>
The m14 is an old as fuck archaic design that was obsolete egen it was adopted.

The action is open to the elements, not becase og ease og maintenance.
Its designer for fucking stripper clips.

You have to clean it from the front, which maked it easier for retards to damage the crown.
The action is barely suppoerted by the stock.
And it has one og the heaviest and innefficient gas systems og its time.

Its only redeeming factor is that its one og the sexiest guns there is
>>
>>32240912

Does your 'F' key not work?
>>
>>32240618

For you.
>>
>>32240843

This is true. There is plenty of vids of ppl in combat, and their shit goes to hell and they need to quickly break down the rifle to get to the issue.
>>
The M14 is better if you have enough skill to shoot a full sized rifle and enough strength to carry one. The M16 is more idiot proof though so it's better for arming a military made up of idiots. It's kinda like how manual cars are better but autos are much more common and better for the masses. The SCAR has made the M14 obsolete though.
>>
>>32240548
This a weak thread, shame on you.
>>
>>32240548

According to Army testing, the M14 was more reliable and more durable.
It was very bad in full auto, though a prototype version was actually better than the AR-15.
In semi auto, the AR-15 was better at less than 400m, and the M14 was better at 400m+
The AR15 was also obviously better in weight.
However, the M14 had better penetration.

So while the AR15 design isn't as robust as many others, it has been improved since 1962.
Since the most important factors to the army are weight and semi auto fire under 400m, the AR is the logical choice.
That said, I'm not at all an AR fan.

Link related. Should prompt a pdf download.
If not, google "rifle evaluation study dtic"
Should be the first link
www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA046961
>>
File: 853820708.jpg (114KB, 686x888px) Image search: [Google]
853820708.jpg
114KB, 686x888px
What's the best M1 Garand derivative and why is it the BM-59?
>>
>>32241072

Is this sarcasm?
>>
>>32241370
>Coulda had a custom-made BM59 for the price I paid for my Springfield M1a
Kinda stings.

Gonna make it my life's work to get a full-length BM59 with a folding stock like these dudes, though.
>>
There is no "Superior."

There is only "better for a given use case."

It just so happens that the M16 works better for US doctrine than than the M14 does.

Most of the shooting in war happens inside of 300 meters, and the M14 is what you want when you're shooting past 300 meters. When they got out in the stans and actually had to do shooting past 300 meters, they dug the fuckers out and made them into DMRs.

Current doctrine is fire and maneuver. You don't have to be particularly accurate, but what you do need to do is put down enough reasonably accurate fire that the enemy can't run away from you. And you have to keep that fire up until you can either call in support elements or maneuver your guys to get around the enemy's cover. Close enough that they can start hitting things.

With its deeper magazine, smaller round and lighter weight the M16 is superior for this role. It is still plenty lethal inside of 300 meters, and a given guy can carry more ammo on him to accomplish this fire and maneuver business compared to the M14.
>>
File: 589009867.jpg (99KB, 686x888px) Image search: [Google]
589009867.jpg
99KB, 686x888px
>>32241411
Kojima/Shinkawa must really like Italian guns.
The Beretta was the main pistol in MG1,2 and MGS2 (as the tranq pistol)

The MRS-4 in MGSV is largely based on the AR-70/90
>>
>>32241442

It's plenty lethal outside of 300m.
>>
>>32241448
MRS4 is a FNC. Thats pretty obvious
>>
Not really

.223 Rem. does as well as .308 Win. out to 700 yards, and you aren't going to hit out that far with your service rifle other than on the range.

I figure than the AR-10 would have been a better buy over the AR-15, though. The improvements of the Armalite design, ammo commonality with MGs, and with semi-auto fire, it doesn't matter if it's .308 Win.
>>
>>32241411
>BM59
>no flash hider
>no detachable magazine
>American uniform items
Those are Garands, Anon. That or there are magazines I can't see and they're M1A1 carbines.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.