[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ designs a functioning 12 gauge gatling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 19

I have a friend in a south american country who has disposable income but a difficult time acquiring ammunition. He can get as much 12 gauge as he wants though, and he wants me to help design a functional 12 gauge gatling for him. If I can get the designs, he can have the parts machined and assembled. He posts shit on instagram like a .38 super 1911 plated in gold with niggerific mexican grim reaper saint grips so whatever he's doing down there, he can afford this.

(these were actually things in the 20s/30s, they were just scaled up .45-70 designs which is also a rimmed cartridge, and were used in wild west movies with 12 ga blanks- the NFA put a stop to it. Some hobbyists on various boards have built them but they're mostly crusty old fucks with 386 computers who don't post a lot of pictures http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/12-gauge-gatling-183338/ )

What I need help with is digging up one of the blueprints to a gatling that took cloth belts. Cloth belts are ideal for 12ga because there's no need to modify links. The one guy who made a belt fed 12ga for his post-sample M16 lower and posted it on youtube, used cloth links.

Second, there's no reason why a design can't be semi-automatic gas operated blow back like a Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30. You could have it operate the entire cylinder assembly, which holds the bolts, like a semi-automatic revolver.

Finally, if a 12ga doesn't have enough pressure, it could be made compatible with this wildcat round, 12GA FH

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197214
>>
File: gau19.jpg (13KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
gau19.jpg
13KB, 276x183px
>>32238679

Finally I think the best barrel profile would be a triangular config, this would allow for a narrower diameter bolt carrier assembly.
>>
I killed a thread for this, you can at least contribute to the birth of the most amazing dakka cannon ever

he already has a superduty that he's going to put Mark 1 Plumbing decals on and mount this beast to with a pintle mount, and he paid some corrupt ass Mexican Marines $120 for a Surefire Hellfighter to use on it
>>
File: tumblr_ogsm5pRRtF1sns7veo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogsm5pRRtF1sns7veo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>32238679
12GA FH in gatling form is something I'd like to see
>>
>>32239317

Look at this magnificent faggot

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?50993-Building-a-Gatling-gun.

He builds a fucking gatling out of car parts
>>
>>32239317

First thingwe gotta do though.. is work out a better feed system.

The Accles positive feed (look it up) worked from any angle and used the rotation of the gun to work a pawl that pushed the rounds out. It's EXACTLY identical in design to what the filthy commies ripped off to make their drum magazines except they used a mainspring for the motive force.

Mounted to the side, it could actually be viable.

But I want to see a proper belt feed system.
>>
This would be so cool but I can't help with more than a bump
>>
Maybe a look at a M134 minigun and it's disintegrating link system would yield some ideas.

Simpliest way would be a hopper system. There was a Japanese machine gun(don't remember model number at the moment) that used the hopper system combined with Arisaka stripper clips that were fed by an assistant gunner.
>>
Mechanical engineer here. Keep thread alive till 4pm CT. I can help draw CAD models if need be or help with designs.
>>
>>32238679
He wants gas operated, not manually cranked or motor driven?
>>
>>32238679
if it will be gas-operated it would probably have to be semi-auto to appese dogshooters
>>
>>32243648
Pretty sure if the ATF tried to do that in SA they'd get beheaded.
>>
>>32243505
I dont like the idea of a gas operated system. Air seals and powering the system is with an air compressor or god forbid an actual gas blowback system is way too much work, and it doesnt solve any problems a normal gear driven minigun has.
>>
>>32242981
that action is far too complicated for a 12ga machinegun, also would be far too large
>>
>>32238679
please use rifled barrels and slugs only
>>
File: 1476072916080.jpg (113KB, 1386x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1476072916080.jpg
113KB, 1386x1103px
>>32245733
THIS
H
I
S
>>
File: Ge7a4.jpg (331KB, 1200x897px) Image search: [Google]
Ge7a4.jpg
331KB, 1200x897px
>>32238679
>12ga
>when you can have 8
>>
>>32246208
>8 gauge gatling
muh dick
>>
>>32246208
>>32246339

HNNNNGH

we're pretty much set on 12GA from hell as a chambering, or as he wants to call it, "hellbore"

12GA-HB sounds better than 12GA-FH

He says that he thinks 12ga FH with cast slugs will punch through a half inch of shitty steel armor

....pretty sure my chad friend is hunting narco tanks
>>
>>32238679
I would look into a gravity feed system like on original Gatling guns. This way you don't have to figure a way to remove the shell front he belt and then chamber it.
>>
>>32247095

problem with gravity feed is it doesn't play nicely with being mounted to the back of a bouncing pickup truck

it's either going to be Accles positive feed or some system for controlled belt feed

btw, the reason why GE miniguns were so expensive and they were the only ones who made good ones- is because of the work they put into preventing jams. turns out that the minigun design is actually prone to catastrophic jams if shit isn't perfect:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1289

>
Soon after their employment, every employee in any way involved in design or testing was made aware of the most important design secret responsible for the success of these weapon systems. That secret was Round Control. GE guns were like no others. Rounds were not fed by being launched into free flight with hopes they would find their way into the chamber. There were no fired cases or links propelled by springs or ejected out of gun receivers by impact. GE guns and ammunition handling systems always had 100% complete control of the round, the fired case, and if there was one, the link. Every round transfer, every link movement, every round transport had to be under complete control at every position in the weapon cycle. Springs were permitted in these systems but were never used for positioning of rounds, cases or links.
>>
>>32245733
Why no no1 buckshot Gatling? Imagine 200rpm firing 3200 projectiles a min in a cone.
>>
>>32246849

yeah, no.
>>
>>32247338

imagine a 200 round belt of dragons breath rounds

we must develop this for the glory of the /k/ube
>>
>>32247363
kek
>>
>>32238679
Alright ME is be back. First order of business as you put it is the feeding mechanism. I am going to lay out our options here:
1.) Belt fed system
>Complicated to design, build, and put together. But offers near unlimited amount of ammo to use without realoding.
2.) Mechanically assisted magazine.
>Springs put power on the shells and feed the gatling gun. Easier to make and design while still retaining reliability in various situations.
3.)Gravity fed system.
>Super easy feeding system. No design required, just a giant hopper and enough shells to keep shooting.

As a second order of discussion. I personally like >>32238701 idea. Less mass, and less parts make it suitable for car mounts and maybe could be used for non mounted purposes.
>>
File: Ouvrage_Brehain-072.jpg (214KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ouvrage_Brehain-072.jpg
214KB, 1500x1000px
>>32246208
Just how powerful are those 8 gauge industrial shotguns?
If you fired one down a hallway could you be sure even the most well equipped men would be killed?
Could you even fire it fast enough to suppress a group of men?
>>
>>32247848

A 12volt motor powered mechanism to advance and feed unlinked ammunition up a chute is definitely possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnUHomNX0o
>>
bamp
>>
File: 23346_ep206_IMG_3472-400x270.jpg (30KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
23346_ep206_IMG_3472-400x270.jpg
30KB, 400x270px
>>32238679
NEVA
BEEN
DUN
BEFO
>>
>>32250534

kill yourself
>>
File: 3036_27_68-mauser-30mm.jpg (167KB, 1848x1091px) Image search: [Google]
3036_27_68-mauser-30mm.jpg
167KB, 1848x1091px
>>32247848

Oerlikon linkless ammunition feed system for BK27 cannon
>>
File: 3036_26_56-20mm-feed-sprocket.jpg (79KB, 1235x1041px) Image search: [Google]
3036_26_56-20mm-feed-sprocket.jpg
79KB, 1235x1041px
>>32247848

20mm feed sprocket
>>
File: 3036_27_60-feed-sprocket.jpg (236KB, 1709x2177px) Image search: [Google]
3036_27_60-feed-sprocket.jpg
236KB, 1709x2177px
>>32247848

JOHN MOSES BROWNING HIMSELF JUST REACHED DOWN FROM MORMON HEAVEN AND SHOWED ME A SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE, AND ELEGANT METHOD OF INTEGRATING A LINKED FEED SYSTEM INTO A SIMPLE CRANKED GATLING DESIGN

look at this image and think for a second
>>
>>32251829
>>32251849
This from his 30mm Autocannon?
>>
>>32252073

It's from an Oerlikon but it uses principles from his 37mm cannon.

Basically a sprocket feed to pull the link and delink, dropping rounds into the feed slot. It could be geared with the barrels and bolt.
>>
over 9000 hours in mspaint
>>
>>32238679
Gatling guns are piss simple in a stationary and low rpm installation, but don't work worth a shit in a high RPM or mobile installation, because a lot of the shit that goes on in a OG Gatling gun's guts is reliant on gravity to keep the casings and bullets where they are supposed to be.

Which is why miniguns and rotary cannons are so goddamn complex, they use cam and gear driven bits to do all the work a Gatling gun leaves to gravity.

As dumb as the 12 gauge ”Gatling gun" from Red Jacket was, there's some ideas that could be adapted, even if the idea of multiple feed systems, multiple gas systems, and multiple fire control groups was dumb.

Namely, a demireceiver and bolt for each barrel.

Make each bolt carry a striker, use lugs and grooves to cycle the bolts, cock the striker, and release the striker at 6 o'clock. Use the extractor and ejector setup from a Browning BPS, which feed and eject from the same side of the bolt. Use a sprocket and chain design to carry loose shells from your feed tray to 3 o'clock position, and time your ejection for 9 o'clock, leaving the bolt open and the barrel to cool for half the rotation.

The drawings you need for controlled feed are in the thread already, and the other bits are more self explanatory.
>>
>>32252318
Can we be of makings option a complete objective of option b? For as to have wild abandon and slip fall hazard?
>>
>>32252336
Basically combine pic related with
>>32251849
but have the small sprocket that carries ammo from the drum outflow to the chamber "mesh" with the rotating barrels instead of sit upon their axis.
>>
>>32252527
Fug, 4got pic
>>
>>32252336
>Make each bolt carry a striker, use lugs and grooves to cycle the bolts, cock the striker, and release the strike
You're describing a Gatling gun there.
The Gatling only used gravity to feed the cartridges. Adfter that they are contained by the mechanism.
Miniguns might look complex but htey are almost as simple as the original Gatling design.
>>
>>32252336

If you aren't Mr. Akins, you think very similarly to him. What do you think of my shitty mspaint? The feed should be reversed to let the barrel and chamber cool for more time. I don't think chad wants to have to dig melted plastic shotshells out of the gun, but if he goes full brass it'll be less of a problem, and 12GAHB is of course full brass
>>
>>32252591
>Miniguns might look complex but htey are almost as simple as the original Gatling design.

They are fucking insane complex man read this article

See if we can get a milfag in here to describe jam clearing a m134, it happens and it's nasty when it does
>>
File: FrenchHotchkissAmmo.4.jpg (58KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
FrenchHotchkissAmmo.4.jpg
58KB, 640x425px
>>32247256
Maybe use a strip like the Hotchkiss
>>
File: 9000 HOURS MORE.png (326KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
9000 HOURS MORE.png
326KB, 600x450px
>>32252439

i think we can do that
>>
oh god i had a brain malfunction links not brass
>>
>>32252811

>6.5 foot bed kys
>>
>>32252878

stock image of the truck in question, i got everything else as close as possible, it is in fact the longer bed than this.

the last time i saw it, i was riding in the passenger seat on a once-quiet street full of restaurants in al paso, as he tried to parallel park it while patrons of the outdoor seating areas looked on in horror, fortunately we couldn't hear their screams over the open fucking headers

it also beeps in reverse, so i can guarangoddamntee you that, by now, he's got the most fucking awful lights possible on it, he probably bought a second Hellfighter and has them both rigged as his normal driving lights or something

anyway if there's any one vehicle on the planet that's going to get a fucking rotary cannon shooting overpowered 12 guage rounds made from reamed out 50bmg brass, it's that truck
>>
>>32252910

I figured, but I couldn't let a stock image of a lifted elcamino stand.
>>
File: HELLBORE.jpg (123KB, 640x870px) Image search: [Google]
HELLBORE.jpg
123KB, 640x870px
http://wethearmed.com/shotguns/12ga-10ga-8ga-4ga-from-hell-shotgunrifles-585-700-he-blasters/
>>
>>32252942
is it still legally a 12 gauge shell? what with the over .50 sporting clause bullshit
>>
Damn, I didn't even realize some of these feed systems existed. This is some good shit.
>>
>>32243505
How about a Gast principle system?

Russians use it for some two barreled autocannons. One recoiling barrel loads another, and with a gattling system you could just use the recoil to turn the action.
>>
>>32253081
dude is in South America somewhere, and wants to build some abomination that works with 12 gauge because it's unrestricted.

just build the damn part that strips it out of the cloth belt before jamming it into a tube.
>>
While I don't agree with forcing 12 gauge into a role it's not made for via a system that offloads complexity to the stamped metal belts you will need custom made for it, here's some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IjrU5bUbUc

@8:10
>>
I'm fairly certain that this has already been done on Sons of Guns or some similar show.
>>
>>32253542
I think a gas system on a Gatling would be too complicated for a home gun smith compared to an electric motor of some sort.
>>
>>32255434
This. Just rip the motor out of an old washing machine.
>>
>>32255847

Needs to be manually operated first to work the kinks out of the feeding, firing, and extraction cycles. Seriously go through this article, it's a great read.

>>
>>32254442

Are you suggesting using a swashplate instead of a cammed cylinder? That's actually an intriguing idea
>>
File: Fokker-leimberger.jpg (75KB, 915x687px) Image search: [Google]
Fokker-leimberger.jpg
75KB, 915x687px
>>32258035
http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Fokker-Leimberger

Look at this swashplate-actuated focker:

Fokker and his right-hand armament expert, H.W. Luebbe produced several designs. One had a direct drive by a crank from an MG08 machine gun. The other was the revolutionary Leimberger 12-barrel gun. This was fired soon after the issue of the memorandum above. The barrels, which were mounted within a drum-like rotor, were normal, except for the fact that each breech was half cut-away along the axis of the bore. The matching other half of the breech was formed by a corresponding depression in a second drum-like rotor of smaller diameter which rotated underneath the barrel cylinder. When the two breech halves of these rotating parts joined up, spur-gear like, the barrel concerned attained its firing position with the cartridge in place. The feeding belt with the cartridges were carried right through the split breech of the two rotating elements, much like a chain between sprockets. The cartridges were not extracted, as the spent cases were still in the belt after firing. There was no reciprocating breech block. Firing took place by percussion when the breech closed perfectly (firing pin on swash plate). The gun was therefore extremly simple (as the M61 Vulcan). It was devoid of any reciprocating parts and free from the defects which affected the Maxim MG08. Moreover, it could be fired at any speed. The upper rate of fire was limited soleley by centrifugal stresses and by the time the propellant needed burning.
>>
File: SlostinGun.jpg (71KB, 1000x524px) Image search: [Google]
SlostinGun.jpg
71KB, 1000x524px
http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Slostin_machine_gun

>The Slostin was a self-powered Gatling-type gun of Russian origin and was chambered in 7.62x54mmR, mounted on PM M1910 wheeled tripods. It used a gas-operation, with stationary breech and movable barrels. each barrel has its own gas cylinders, with piston connected to the next barrel. Upon firing one barrel, next one was forced forward, and thus caused the whole barrel block to rotate through the roller, attached to the mentioned barrel running through cam track in outer shell. The Slostin gun was tested and worked well but not adopted by the Soviet Government as they found it was overcomplicated and had no advantage over the existing PM 1910's, SG-43 Goryunov and RP-46 machine guns.
>>
>>32259932
There you go. You could probably jury-rig that out of semi-auto shotguns
>>
>>32247909
honestly i couldnt give you an accurate answer to that but I can tell you 12 ga has become the standard over the years because many "larger" gauges were deemed less effective regardless of the amount of shit shoved in the barrel. Velocity is jsut rite on 12 gauges. atleast thsi is what ive read a while back.
>>
>>32259932

This is fucking sexy
>>
>>32254423
I meant the 12 gauge from hell my dude
>>
>>32239715
Although I do work with one, I'm still rather inexperienced in the fancy terminology and component names. But the M61A1 is fed through an internal link system, so basically a "belt"
>>
>>32243779
I've got some first-hand experience with a pneumatically driven M61A1 and we've never had any issues with gas seals. the only real downfall of the system is that there aren't really any practical air compressors that can indefinitely keep up with the system. but additional tanks can solve that issue for the most part. not to mention rate of fire is heavily dictated by magazine cap. and hotgun
>>
>>32247256
But timing the feeding units during gun tear-down is a motherfucker. none the less it's a million times better than clearing a jam. M61A1 for life!
>>
>>32250552
he's not wrong
>>
>>32262267
>>32262298
>>32262334
Having some engineering insight from the extreme end of the gatling spectrum could definitely help us.

I think that 450-700 RPM would be appropriate for this cannon and that should be pretty manageable. Not a 6000rpm mechanical nightmare where cartidges can get merged into each other like the Philadelphia Experiment

Feeding mechanism for that rate should be managable as well whether it's pneumatic or geared
>>
>>32262582
get /DIY/ in here
>>
>>32262582
I agree, and considering your buddy has to pay for the ammo, I'm sure he'll greatly appreciate the still very formidable yet economical rate of fire. As for cartridge actuation I would have to follow my bias and say you should go with an electrically primed mechanism as it's a relatively simple and durable method, but then you'd have to source ammo that can be primed by electricity. and the feeding mechanism shouldn't offer up too much issue, but you'll need a legit engineer to draft up plans for one that'll be timed properly
>>
>>32262707

He doesn't have room on his superduty to mount a cargo container on it
>>
>>32262724

I believe that it is possible to initiate regular shotgun primers with enough voltage.

Fuck this thing is going to be orgasmic even with just basic buckshot. Even birdshot would be lethal.
>>
>>32262767
I've got fuck all of an idea on how to convert this file from my phone to a webm. but I actually recorded the feed/ drive assemblies in action a bit the other day to show my family. any idea on webm. conversion?
>>
>>32262752
then we need to make a custom superduty out of a cargo container
>>
File: 1459158111782.png (9KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
1459158111782.png
9KB, 650x450px
>>32262856
>>
>>32262767
>>32262847

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Kricotronic%3A+electric+thunderbolt.-a03659515

>all you need is voltage

There's also a new company out trying to hype their "LAZOR IGNITION BOLT" but honestly it's more efficient just to blast the little electical pixies into the primer via a capacitor than it is to upconvert them into a beam of concentrated light powerful enough to instantly detonate a primer.

tl;dr laser primer ignition is hype garbage based on the fact that it's an OMG LAZOR
>>
If it was crank operated, wouldn't that be legal in the states?
>>
>>32263124
yes.
>>
>>32262847
http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-webm

First google search for webm converter
>>
>>32263946
I tried that out, but the file isn't converting to a small enough size to upload
>>
>>32247363
>Worlds worst and most expensive flamethrower
>>
>>32264035

you spelled best wrong
>>
>>32263946
Ask on /gif/ or /wsg/, they'd probably know more about that.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.