[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EMS-TAC MED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

Start thread. What's it like being an EMT? How has it helped you be more /k/ or how has /k/ helped your work.
>>
>>32235613

Bullshit. This is a /k/ as fuck job. You're trying to save the life of people who get shot and stabbed or were in crashes.

I am currently trying to become an EMT OP, if you're thinking about it, just know it's not a career. But if you transfer over to being a paramedic, then the real money will start coming in.
>>
File: JH4C0821_001.jpg (214KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
JH4C0821_001.jpg
214KB, 1024x682px
>>32235613
Fuck off, medical is more relevant here than on any other board, get bent loser
and also learn first aid, it's your duty to your fellow humans

>>32235537
my friend carries as an EMT because on some ghetto calls, nogs take potshots at emergency personnel when they respond to gang conflicts
>>
>>32235537
Did it for 5 years in Providence, RI.
Got my EMT-I.
Hated every minute of it.
>>Hurr durr /k/ as fuck, GSWs and knife wounds and sheeeit
Yeah maybe in Chiraq but most places its driving old people followes by driving more old people, when you're not busy driving old people.
>>
>>32235821

Second poster here who said knife wounds and GSW...

I live in L.A. so... Pretty common stuff. Why the fuck would you be an EMT-I for six years? Why didn't you become a paramedic?
>>
>>32235537
Paramedic. Can answer questions if there are any.
>>
>>32235775
I have no duty help some random faggot m8
>>
File: 1467515712468.jpg (9KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
1467515712468.jpg
9KB, 252x200px
>>32235613
Oh fucking well

>>32236693
I want to get into the job, how hard was training and whats the hardest part of the job?
>>
>>32236751
EMS is a field and a system. It includes volunteers with first aid qualifications (couple weekends of training) to medical doctors and everything in between. In the USA the highest level in the field is a Paramedic. From the day you walk into a CPR class to the day you finish Paramedic school with either an associates degree of bachelor's degree (as there is no point getting a certificate only, if you live in a place that still does cert only, as most states and systems either do or will require degrees in the near future) you are looking at 4-6 years.

Where are you and what do you ultimately want to do?

I've worked private, hospital and fire based EMS.
>>
>>32236867
Alabama-Florida area and about to finish college in a bit. Its something I was looking into because after 4 years, I've finally realizes I don't want to work behind a desk
>>
>>32237010
I don't know much about that area, other than the pay is shit looking at public saftey and NTN posts a few years back when I was testing. The NE and PNW has some of the more advanced, prestigious and higher paying Paramedic jobs.

In most cases EMT-B can be done in 3-6 months at a community college, or if you volunteer with a Fire Department (dependent on if they have volunteer systems and if they have EMT programs internally) volunteering and obtaining your Basic is a good way to "try" it out.
>>
>>32235821
This. Location matters alot, I was an EMT-Advanced in Florida. One night we partially went door to door in a trailer park pick up old people who had just fallen over, most of them covered in their own shit.

At a station right on a busy section of interstate you get all the blood and guts. I still see this one girl over and over, pretty red hair, her face smashed and ripped right off. Lost somewhere inside a new silver porsha her daddy probably bought her.

You get a sense that it's a job the really needs to be done but it needs to be done by someone who really wants it. You help alot of people but I could never shake the feeling that most of them deserved their circumstances. You meet some great people, see and hear alot of funny stories, but many end in "yeah, he died." You just see too much sad shit. Dead babies, don't get me fucking started.

Cheap nursing homes are nightmarish torture chambers, never send anyone you've ever loved to one.
>>
>>32237075
At the freshly finished EMT-B training level, what fraction of full on paramedic knowledge does a EMT-B have?
>>
>>32237665

1/100th
Knowing comes from experience.
>>
>>32237154

Good to know. I'm going to send my physically abusive mother to one as payback for all the drunken single mother beatings.
>>
>>32237665
You are a BLS provider with no clinical experience.

Paramedic school (varies, but commonly) has college level premed/nursing track anatomy and physiology and biology at a minimum pre-req. The course work itself has pharmacology, cardiology, trauma care and includes medical procedures such as IV/IO, central lines, surgical airways, needle decompression, episiotomy, and intubation. Since it is skill and clinical judgment based there are internships and rotations that must be done prior to certification and licensure.
>>
>>32236693

I thought paramedics make the good money?
>>
>>32237783
depends greatly on location
>>
>>32235537
Also, EMTs are the guys riding in the ambulances right? This sounds like a bit of a dumb question, but, ever feel like the vehicle is going too fast for your own safety in certain traffic conditions? More so about how much you trust the driver I guess...
>>
>>32237783

Realistically, no... the question and answer depends on location and employer. Without taking into consideration rare exceptions, most Paramedics make between $30,000-100,000 prior to overtime. The split is huge as it is really dependent on location and employer.
>>
File: 1475888799793.jpg (75KB, 750x732px) Image search: [Google]
1475888799793.jpg
75KB, 750x732px
>>32235821
>Yeah maybe in Chiraq
I'm trying to be a LEO there. They are now requiring them to carry small IFAK's and taking 'combat lifesaver' type classes because of all the GSW's. Just more bullshit to deal with.
>>
>>32237779
Ohio paramedic here. Where the fuck are you that you learned to do episiotomies?
>>
>>32237822
Could be two EMTs, two paramedics or one of each. Depends on department policy. I hear some places allow one EMT and one otherwise untrained driver, but that would probably be for a private ambulance.
>>
>>32237154
What area of Florida? And how big was the change from before being in the job to after? As in, do you have PTSD from the job? Are you more depressed/ less happy with life?
>>
>>32237864
Washington State
>>
File: Porsche Girl.jpg (362KB, 1186x794px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche Girl.jpg
362KB, 1186x794px
>>32237154
>I still see this one girl over and over, pretty red hair, her face smashed and ripped right off. Lost somewhere inside a new silver porsha her daddy probably bought her.
Wow anon, that's deep. It's like we see the same girl.
>>
>>32237912
was she okay?
>>
>>32237877
EMT-B is so easy to obtain. I don't know of many if any state on the west coast that allow non-EMTs to operate an ambulance. I know in California and Washington state for sure, it is state law that to drive a transport unit (which is registered with the department of health) you must be an EMT.

Now SHTF. We've had a deputy drive, it happens, but there are regulations for normal operation.
>>
>>32237783
Depends heavily on location.

For example, an EMT-B working for the city of Seattle makes twice what a paramedic makes working for the city of Baton Rouge. Yet the work load will be very similar.
>>
>>32238133
Pick a flyover state at random.

Odds are they require nothing to drive an ambulance. Like, don't even require a driver's license.

For example, volunteer and private-company EMS in Illinois can drive ambulances when their civilian license has been permanently revoked for multiple DUI's, and paid government EMS can drive without a CDL or any medical training. Small and/or rural departments frequently employ snow plow drivers during the spring/summer/fall to drive ambulances (another job that does not require a CDL).
>>
>Tfw going to be taking my Exam for my EMT-B class in 6 days

I think I've made a mistake dumping so much and money into this class, I probably am going to just join the Navy.
>>
>>32238352
>EMT-B
>so much money
nigger what? It's a single semester at most community colleges, AKA around $800 (or less if you're nonwhite and get Pell grant waivers)
>>
>>32238386
My class was around $1000 plus the several hundred dollars I spent on my shitty books, one of which we never even used.

I don't even particularly live in an area with high inflation, I guess I just got shafted.
>>
File: 960.jpg (84KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
84KB, 960x540px
>>32238386
>or less if you're nonwhite and get Pell grant waivers
>I know this feel
>>
>tfw getting EMS BA
Am about to certify EMT-B then I have to do Chem and A&P to apply for medic school. NM is moving toward a BA requirement to be a medic. should have a good shot at getting a job with Albuquerque Ambulance though here in Feb.
>>
File: 20161206_191330.jpg (585KB, 1794x614px) Image search: [Google]
20161206_191330.jpg
585KB, 1794x614px
>>32238425
Bachelor of Art? Huh?
>>
>>32238512
That's what I meant, thank you.
>>
>>32238418
Girl in my class was literally being paid by the government to go to college because she was a "nontraditional" student (IE, over 24), female, and black. State 4-year university tuition is around $2400 a year/$1200 a semester, she was receiving $3000 a *month* in financial aid.

With her family's income there was no fucking way she qualified for a single cent of need-based scholarships or grants, she herself was a GS13, her husband was a GS14, and both her parents were retired field-grade officers. And she had no kids.

And here I was, single, also over 24 (older than her by a few years actually), with a household income 1/50th of hers and no living parents expected to foot the bill, and yet I didn't qualify for SHIT. Because I am a white male.
>>
>>32235537
FF/EMT = BEST
>>
>>32238536
That's some serious bullshit, I want someone to explain how that makes any sense
>>
>EMS
Sweet shit don't do it unless it is everything you've ever dreamed about. Then do it just long enough to bridge into something else.

>half way through shift.
>Dropping off literal sixth patient patient in a row in triage for her bullshit, no-ambulance required complaint
>Pt is complaining about being taken to triage >wanting to know if its too late to go to the other hospital on the other side of the city
>No m'am I'm afraid we can't take you there at at this point
>Pt says fuck this, goes AMA across the street to call another ambulance to try her luck at other hospital.
While I was trying to process that new level of fuckery, and the paperwork entailed, a man comes running into the waiting room with his son in his arms bloody as shit. Kid flipped an ATV and busted the shit out of his head. Instead of calling 911 or waiting for an ambulance, dad scooped him up and hauled ass in his truck to the ER. I think that was the day I was just over it. Pretty sure we had three more runs that day, all straight too triage what the fuck am I doing with my life bullshit.
>>
>>32238687
Because anon, black lives matter.
>>
>>32238716
Location.... Demographics... Delivery model.

I worked in a wilderness/rural tiered system. One of the best Jobs I ever had, only Delta/Echo level (EMD dispatched) calls. Double medic. Snowmobiles, ATVs, access to aircraft. I was getting 3-6 RSI intubations a month.

Wish I could have stayed there but it was too slow, and pay was medicore ($65,000). Have moved on to a busier system with a little bit more BS, but it's nowhere as bad as when I worked in a big city center.

EMS differs where you go. Hunt the job yout want.
>>
>>32235537
Most field ems are very /k/, i am an EMT-B ATM, all the ones in my county have guns and knives on them at all time. The knowledge is really good to have, opens positions on the swat team and to do cool shit.

>>32236751
if youre not crazy, perverted and cynical, you wont make it or quickly will be. hardest part is not wanting to run an IO into the skull of the 8th old person of the day. other than that its really on what you can handle. domestic violence, kids, and that sort of thing drives you to drink, smoke or both. We get lots of ODs, those are pretty easy normally. whats easy is the cool calls.

i wouldnt trade it for anything else though, one of the most fulfilling jobs in the world.
>>
>>32238716
I'm not EMS but I worked in the ER as an admin, got all the fucked up stories from the EMS guys.
>homeless people calling ambulances since in my state once on-scene they can't say no
Apparently a big thing is to get a ride they know they can't pay for in order to get across town, then beg for drugs, get told off, then piss in a potted plant in the waiting area and sleep on the chairs until the cafeteria opens, then steal food.
>fat people calling ambulances for extremely minor shit because they can't be inconvenienced enough to squeeze into their shitheap car and drive to Walgreens to buy bandaids
One guy was telling me about this one old, morbidly obese guy who fashioned himself a woodworker, and would literally call 911 every time he got himself a splinter because he was too lazy/fat to exit his garage to get his tweezers. Got so bad he learned EMS would only respond if he called 911 then didn't fucking say anything and they had to trace the number.
>parents calling EMS because they found a bag of weed in their teenager's sock drawer
Like literally what the fuck is EMS gonna do? They can't even legally dispose of it for you, and are legally prohibited from telling you to flush it. Kid's not present so clearly it isn't a reasonable-yet-unfounded concern of an OD, you literally found a bag of it in a drawer.
>old people calling EMS thinking they're a rolling pharmacy and can just hand out refills for their Coumadin/nitroglycerin/other-important-medicine or fix their glasses/walker
This one is sad, yet also annoying.

Apparently I worked in a pretty safe area, ambulance guys were saying that 8 in 10 calls were bullshit unnecessary drains on time and money.
>>
File: 1455669128724.gif (2MB, 320x225px) Image search: [Google]
1455669128724.gif
2MB, 320x225px
Is there any entry level response team like jobs I can get into?

I want to do my EMT, but the only places that pay decent are ambulance companies that don't do Code 3's often.

The ones that do, pay minimum wage.
>>
>>32239103
Where are you where that is the case? As it often is the other way around.
>>
>>32238536
Stop lying man. $3000 a month in financial aid? Yeah right.

Also if you want to bullshit more you should know that people you didn't immediately go to college after high school are also considered non trad students.
>>
>>32239132
SoCal.

Care Ambulance does Code 3's, but they only pay minimum wage.

I work for another ambulance company around but we do inter-hospital transport. We still do Code 3's, but it's not common. I'm not an EMT, but I work for it.
>>
>>32236693
>Why didn't you become a Paramedic?
Because I hated it. I hated it in ways that people who haven't spent years and years on the streets might not understand.
I was actually a Cardiac, which is between EMT-I and Paramedic, but only 2 states recognize it (RI and UT?). Paramedic training is like 1000 hours of shit-shifts with a "precepter" who pretty much pawns off bitch work on you.
EMS is an okay gig, but it isn't what people think. I'm glad every day that I don't have to do that shit anymore.
>Oh but I'm gonna work in [city], I'm sure it'll be exciting!
I hope you like homeless people. Homeless people frozen to death on benches. Homeless people ODed in gutters. Homeless people off their meds that jack off and throw jizz at you.
Have fun man.
>>
>>32239319
The butt hurt is real... sorry your experiences suck. I'm sure other things in life must bother you as well.
>>
>>32239319
The thing I never understood as a 15+ year EMS provider and Firefighter is how people complain about EMS and Medic school and climbing the ranks. If you don't like it, and it's not for you, that is one thing. Complaining about 1000 hour internship? (Mine was 2000 hours) is pretty funny. If you think of EMS like a career it is no different from any other career. My friends that went to law school did years of internships and joined firms where they either got cases dumped on them or did paperwork and didn't get real case work until a few years of slave labor. Same goes for nurse friends who had to slave away on med floor before going to the ER, ICU or other specialties.

When you complain about doing your work, it just makes you look like a complainer.

I am salaried but if you do the math on how many days I work a year (80)... on the occasion dispatch sends me and not a BLS unit to a little old lady who slipped in the shower and needs a hand up, it's no problem.

Shit isn't handed to you... you gotta earn it and that includes searching for greener pastures.
>>
>>32239453
Whoops "it is no problem, for the amount I get paid I'd wipe an ass, it's my job"
>>
>>32239453
Do you really expect people here to be accustomed to hard work and the slow long haul?

The majority of medical careers are exactly like this. I work at a hospital and I see the med students getting barked at by nurses, and getting the bitch work. But in a couple years they will be the ones making orders and making double their pay.
>>
>>32239453
>>32239348

Jumping in to say that Paramedics are some of the most cocky, know-it-all pricks you'll ever meet. Comes with the job, maybe? Like being a fighter pilot? Either way OP, if you're not a type-A narcissist, you may have a tough time getting along.
>>
>>32236867
Does it need to be an EMS degree or will an AS in another field + cert be enough?
>>
>>32239687
Right now in most places you just need a cert. It would benefit you to get a degree as it will be required in the future and puts you miles ahead of the competition. That's the difference between a $12 dollar an hour private ambulance gig and a $45 dollar an hour public hospital district or fire department based gig. You want to be marketable.
>>
>>32235752
what exactly does EMT stand for?

because unless your are saving a life by violently using a syrange as a weapon, or the discussion of the apposite of weapons (that would be armor) it is NOT/k/
>>
>>32235537
Being an EMT is a lot like being a taxi driver, except instead of tips you get bit, puked on, and occasionally stabbed. And you make less money.

It's not bad if you land a cushy job with a well-funded fire department, but most of EMS is fucking miserable. Low pay, crap equipment, bad working conditions, and no respect. The only way being an EMT makes you more /k/ is you get used to being ready for everything, but you have to be on the job for a while because you don't learn much in EMT school.

I did it for a few years, then decided I don't want to live in poverty and work with psychopaths for the rest of my life so I became an engineer instead.
>>
>>32238841
I have 2/3 of those things down just by browsing 4chan. Whats the most fulfilling thing about it?
>>
>>32235537
I worked EMS for two summers in college so I wasn't stone broke all the time. I worked for Bowers Ambulance in Long Beach, got to see some desperately poor parts of LA and Long Beach I had no idea existed. It didn't make me more /k/, it made me more /pol/. We had to deal with dindus and their idiot cousins day in and day out.

We couldn't carry b/c commiefornia, but the cops always moved double quick when we needed help.
>>
>>32235752
Paramedic here. The real money isn't in EMS, sorry to tell you. That's why I'm finishing up school to go be a PA.
>>
I'm a full time FF/Paramedic for a chill as fuck service. We're strictly 911. No bullshit transfers from the hospital back to the nursing home. We've got an AMR here for that.

Generally over the course of a 24 hour shift, I'll do 6 runs or so. The back of or station is just wooded nothingness, and our chief is /k/ as fuck, so we'll go shoot during shift.

Also working part time as a flight medic. THAT job is fun. I've seen some of the coolest shit on the helicopter.
>>
>>32239900
>We couldn't carry b/c commiefornia

You can't carry as an ems anywhere
>>
>>32236693

Respiratory Therapist/Paramedic here.

Unless you're like me and it's your literal everything to do flight (fixed wing & heli) transport, I'd go ahead and be a PA. This Anon is very right.

I'd never give up flight though.

>tfw shitposting on 4chan in the hangar, waiting on a call
>working out and listening to 'Nam tunes
>shoot the shit with everyone
>Get called and have to jump into a hot as fuck plane or helicopter (they're fucking ovens and we don't leave them running)
>Listen to more tunes under my helmet, very dis/k/retely and run the earbuds under my flight uniform

At least I get to wear silk pants and shirt underneath (flame retardant) and make about $20k less than a PA. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>32235537
How do I into SWAT medic? Do wilderness medics get paid well, and what's the best route for that?

I'm currently a very out-of-practice EMT-B in Pennsylvania with a plan to get back into it for a few months before applying to medic school and moving on from there. I like to learn and to train, would like to eventually be an ER doc with a bioengineering education and work towards the advancement of emergency medical technology.

>>32240388
>it's your literal everything to do flight
How do I into flight medic?
>>
>>32240633
Senpai are you me?

I'm in school for Biochemistry and want to be an ER Physician Assistant. SWAT Medic/Flight medic would be a sweet gig until I get into PA school.
>>
>>32237783
Depends on the city.
>>
>>32240633
If you want to be a doctor skip being a Paramedic.

I'm this poster>>32238790

Most "wilderness" type EMS services I am familiar with at the ALS level are hard as fuck to get as they are cush retirement jobs. All my coworkers had 20-30 years somewhere else and retired in the mountains and worked for the hospital district just because they were not ready mentally to quit in their 40s and early 50s. These jobs also require a strong resume as you are in the middle of nowhere and it is slow. When shit happens though? I'm talking snowmobiling 2 hours to deliver a baby and then figuring out an extraction plan. Managing a trauma patient on a vent for 4 hours as your 4x4 rig is moving 5mph through a winter storm with chains.

I worked in a rural/wilderness location. $65,000. It was OK money, made a bit more with OT here and there. I moved on, I work in a small town that has urban/rural interface and no real suburb. Pay is significantly better.
>>
>>32240633
Other flight medic here. At least where I'm at, the requirements to apply and interview are fairly basic. 3-4 years experience in a fairly busy 911 system, then all your basic certifications. Obviously, that's bare minimum, so you want to try to set yourself apart by having additional certifications and training. Before I applied for my flight job, I already had my CCEMT-P cert, plus a slew of others from a tactical course to some additional medical courses, and I was an instructor for ITLS, ACLS, and PALS. Most flight services don't require you to be flight medic certified before getting hired, but it's required within a certain time frame specified by the employer. Mine was 2 years, but I had it in 6 months.
>>
>>32237912
Did she deaded?
>>
>>32240694
>If you want to be a doctor skip being a Paramedic.
The paramedic program I'm shooting for counts as 32 credits towards an undergraduate degree in Emergency Medicine, which can work as a pre-med degree. My main issue, though, is tuition money. I figure doing some contracts overseas as a medic and/or firefighter will give me enough cash to pay for med school. I got sick when I was an engineering student and messed up my grades, so I lost my funding and am now afraid to take out loans, because what if I end up tanking my grades again due to unforseen circumstances and have medical school debt to pay off with no degree to show for it? I worked some shitty ass construction jobs to save enough money to cover paramedic tuition and living expenses.

>>32240750
Did you have to pay for those special snowflake classes yourself, or was there some kind of company or government money for them?

>>32240776
Nah, a band aid fixed it.
>>
>>32240807
Most of them were provided by the ground service I'm full time at. My critical care course was on my own dime, though, and I had to find coverage so I could take it. Most good services are willing to put on additional courses if there's enough demand for them. The TECC course I took (civilian version of TCCC for milfags out there) was actually free and put on by the state Department of Homeland Security.

There's a lot of low cost or even free education out there. Just gotta know where to look.
>>
>>32240835
>Just gotta know where to look.
I can find out about local stuff by calling the county fire/EMS education coordinator. Are there resources on a less regional level that I can be using?
>>
>>32240807
ALS certifications are hard to maintain. Especially as a new guy. So there are far better ways of getting your degree that will be less work and won't require the time and investment a Paramedic licensure/certificate does. It is not a part time job.

Overseas jobs are dried up, are not paying as well and most won't look at you without 5+ years of work experience.

You have a plan, just be realistic.

Look up remote medicine out of seattle if you are still really into contract work.
>>
>>32240872
>You have a plan, just be realistic.
Any recommendations for adding realism to my plan? I'm almost 26 and have less than a year of part-time EMT experience: construction paid better, but construction is wrecking my joints and numbing my mind.

>Look up remote medicine out of seattle if you are still really into contract work.
Thanks, will do. What happened to overseas jobs? Budget cuts?
>>
>>32240910
Fewer military contracts as our involvement died down. The corporate and NGO type work still exists but doesn't pay as well as the mid 2000s military contractor did. Either way, you wouldn't qualify for any of it until you got some years under your belt. I know of guys that took 6 months off their fire jobs and sat on an oil platform, played cards on large fishing and merchant vessels and some who even did private work for the rich and famous and movie sets that go to remote locations, basically just a really expensive insurance policy who is in the background. None of them paid extremely well, $400-800 a day. Couple weeks at a time. These guys could make $1500-2000 a shift back home doing overtime and they wouldn't be bored out of their mind. That's the problems with contract Paramedic work. It isn't glamorous or operator. My buddy who worked for blackwater in Iraq sat on base for 3 months doing physicals, fixing in grown toenails and handing out ibuprofen to locally contracted manual laborers who were on base but obviously didn't have access to US military medical care. He said most people didn't make their contract, it's why the big bonuses were only paid after the contract was complete. Most wouldn't finish it.

Just be realistic, do your homework.
>>
>>32235752
EMT-B NYS here.

He's kinda right. I come here to de-stress from my job, not listen to a bunch of faggots trade war stories. I get enough of that IRL.

But if you must know, being an EMT turned me from a noguns liberal to a pro-guns moderate. Even though I despise social conservatives I realized that if some of these scumbags that I have to deal with in the city got into my house they would most likely rape/kill me if I had no means of defending myself. I learned that the first time I saw a crack head try to fight four cops at once.
>>
as an RN how do i get an emt license so i can get some sweet discounts on funs?
its impossible to go to college for me given my fucked up work hours
>>
>>32235537
Just passed my EMT course. National Registry Practical tomorrow, then I'm scheduling the written sometime next week. My fire department is putting me through all of it and once I'm done I move onto firefighting 1 and 2. The amount of hoops you have to jump through to get started out in any EMS career is rediculous
>>
>>32241033
Most of the good ones like GOVX, usstandardissue and a few others require proof of employment. Not just a cert.
>>
>>32241053
No.... it's not. Imagine being a lawyer, doctor, banker.... why would or should EMS and Fire be any different? I have a bachelor's degree in Paramedicine, have been to a total of 2 years of fire academy/training/schools and in just a few months you get to put a uniform on and prance around so that the majority of the public assume you know as much as I do....
>>
>>32241058
well i work at the VA so im on govx, does that count as military? i thought it didnt though ive heard people use it to go to the movies. i didnt serve either way.
>>
>>32237154

>Cheap nursing homes are nightmarish torture chambers, never send anyone you've ever loved to one.

This, this, a hundred times this. This one old lady I had fora one hour transport back to her facility wouldn't stop yelling "SO HELP ME GOD" over and over again. The entire time, "SOHELPMEGODSOHELPMEGODSOHELPMEGOD".

We get there and I can sort of understand why. The entire floor smells like dirty diapers mixed with stale food. The inhabitants are crammed three into a room, and her neighbor lets out a howling-monkey-like sound every thirty seconds. ALALALALALALA. Every thirty seconds.

This other time I had to take an old veteran with sundowners to this horrible fucking nursing home. I felt really bad. The old guy was a tail gunner on a B-24 Liberator in the Pacific theater. He barely had dementia and knew full well that we were taking him to this shitty hovel. He looked at me at one point and said, "I know you're taking me to some place where I can just wither and die out of sight." I couldn't say anything to that, and he just said "it ain't your fault, son."

Fuck whoever sent him there, I hope they get fucking cancer. How could someone do that to their own father, someone who helped raise them and served their country honorably? Fucking degenerate ingrate.
>>
>>32241138
im >>32241077
and yeah we get a lot of vets from nursing homes in really shitty state, pressure ulcers, just dirty with rheum covering most of the eyes, mainly malnourished as most of these older people cant feed themselves
>had this guy, who was an asshole
>came here because he pulled out his peg tube
>fixed that shit and we couldnt send him back because he was sexually aggresive and had been chemically castrated
>learn he used to be a pimp lel
> we gave the guy the same "diet" he had in the nursing home (5 cans of ensure plus like a liter of water)
motherfucker gained weight fast. and a lot, all his wounds healed and he was doind much better.
i cant say i blame the nursing home because hes an asshole but still you gotta do your job.
at least we sent him backwith meds so he stopped grabbing people
>>
>>32240978
>do your homework
Yeah, I do need to iron out the details more. This construction job has been destroying my body and mind and I haven't had much energy to apply myself like I used to do, I've just been fixating on an exit strategy as a coping mechanism to keep from diving off a bridge at work.
>>
>>32241196
>>32241138
>>32237154
Most nursing homes are absurdly depressing, one of my least favorite parts of the job was dropping people off there. A couple seemed pretty decent, though.
>>
>>32239255
I have an EMT-B in SoCal, Care's the best bet for Code 3 work and pay, they start at $11/hr from what I was told by a friend who works for Doctor's
>>
>>32241248
You are unable to handle the stress of construction yet think you can handle life/death decisions at 2am with little sleep?

You are breaking down physically and want to be a Paramedic? If you want to make money you have to go Fire in most systems. The Fire service breaks you down....
>>
Is he dead?
>>
>>32241291
The stress of construction is that it is mindnumbing, like when I had to scrape miles of curbside with a flat shovel for 10-16 hours a day for weeks--monotonous as hell, but I couldn't zone out due to the risk of getting hit by traffic or machinery. The physical damage is coming from repeated impact and vibration, like jackhammering 70 hours a week for months or shoveling coarse gravel.

I like having to think. I like working out hard, and a lot. When I'm in shape, I need an average of 4hrs sleep per night and can skip two or three nights of sleep without issue.

As long as my schedule lets me eat enough and work-out and my job makes me think and learn, I'll be in my element.
>>
>>32240269
Actually Kentucky and a few other states allow it, and other people do it but it's against the rules.
>>
>>32241263
As a privateer, half of what I do is to or from nursing homes
>>
>>32239895
EMT-B here. One time I had a baby stop breathing on me, and I made it breathe again.
>>
>>32242165
>>32240269
http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volume-38/issue-6/administration-and-leadership/pro-bono-allowing-ems-carry-concealed-we.html

I am honestly okay with not being allowed to carry while on duty. If anything, I wish I had a tranquilizer gun filled with versed, haldol and benadryl. Gun shots are a huge pain in the ass to manage and clean up after, and not something I like dealing with on the tail end of a 24 hour shift. Gorking out a psych patient on antipsychotics is probably the most satisfying thing I have ever done.
>>
>>32241058
If memory serves, Govx only wanted a copy of my card and a statement of employment when I signed up. They never actually checked.

Also, where on the govx site do they sell funs?
>>
>>32235752
>You're trying to save the life of people who get shot and stabbed or were in crashes.

lol more like

>you're trying to tell the 76 year old man that just wants attention that he isn't dying and doesn't need to go to the hospital

or

>you're trying to bring the OD'd homeless guy back to life so that he can go snort 50 bongs of heroine and OD again
>>
>>32244032
Ketamine IM. Haldol and Versed IV.

There was a case where I worked where vecuronium was used for the saftey of everyone around. 300+ lbs boxer excited delerium. Once tubed, he was a nice guy.
>>
>>32237665

The big difference is the amount of hands-on experience you have. with EMT-B training its almost all class-based. With paramedic training you need about a thousand hours of fire and hospital clinical time. imo the shit that matters most is knowing how to get information out of patients/patient's family, and formulating that information into a rough diagnosis. Being able to stick people with magical chemicals is cool and all but plain old patient interaction experience is way more important than the expanded scope of practice medics have.
>>
>>32244279
Ummm... Paramedic school is academic and practical. Have you been? The didactic classroom portion is 800-1200 hours depending on where you are in the country. That isn't including pre-reqs.

It's just comparing apples to oranges. Paramedic school is the whole deal. EMT school is first aid on steriods.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.