[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Total gun newfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1471839481078.gif (540KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1471839481078.gif
540KB, 250x250px
I'm sure you guys get this post all the time, so for that I apologize. Anyway, I'm a total scrub when it comes to guns; the most I know if the difference between a magazine and a clip, but that's about it.
Where, if /k/ doesn't want to spend time spoonfeeding me, can I acquire basic gun knowledge? Furthermore, what's a good beginner's gun?
>>
>>32233714
Your preferred search engine of choice, otherwise murdercube.com has everything you need to know about /k/ including various easy to read beginners guides.
>>
>>32233714
Age? State of residence? purpose of guns, like target practice or home defense?
>>
>>32233714
The internet. YouTube. Go to a funstore and fingerfuck the ones you like that are in the price you're willing to pay. You could get a Mak for $300 and it can also serve as your CCW. If you're under 21 get a Mossman 500 or Remington 870 at your local pawnshop. Then customize it as you please.
>>
>>32233714
A good beginners gun is a .22 lr semi auto rifle. Ammo is cheap, recoil is minimal, and the guns are very accurate generally.

Get a Marlin model 60, or maybe a Ruger 10/22 if you have some dosh to blow.

After that I'd go for a 9mm full size pistol, then a 12g shotgun, then an AR. Assuming you enjoy shooting of course.

This is all for general fun shooting, like at paper or clays. If you want something for defense, then skip straight to the 9mm, and perhaps get a compact rather than a full size.
>>
In a non dick way, I suggest reading the sticky. Good consolidated info.
>>
>>32233752
>19
>Washington state
>A little of column A, a little of column B

>>32233770
I really should've done that to begin with, yeah.
>>
Youtube channels can be good.
Hickok45 has some videos explaining basics, and ForgottenWeapons often explains the function of a weapon in clear detail, though these may be less usual weapons, many are derivatives or function like typical weapons, and it'll give you a good idea on the nature of firearms mechanics, showing you ideas that worked, and ideas that didn't.
>>
>>32233788
Do you need any purchasing advice?
>>
>>32234064
That would be much appreciated, yeah.
>>
>>32234077
What are you looking for in a rifle, and what are you willing to spend?
>>
>>32233788

> TFW you'd let anyone new to guns try all of yours out, but they're never in your area

Good luck, OP. Don't get fudd lore'd or meme'd to death.
>>
File: approved.jpg (97KB, 764x960px) Image search: [Google]
approved.jpg
97KB, 764x960px
>>32234823
I appreciate the thought, thank you
>>
>>32233769
this
/thread
>>
>>32233714
The best way to gain gun knowledge is to get a gun. Get a Ruger 10/22 to start and maybe an SKS or an AKM. Both are good guns and the 7.62x39 surprisingly doesn't have a lot of recoil. After you get used to those, maybe get something in a larger caliber. Normally I'd recommend a nugget (Mosin Nagant) but the prices of them have shot up recently. Maybe get a Yugo Mauser instead once you graduate to bolt guns.
>>
>>32233714
>if /k/ doesn't want to spend time spoonfeeding me
It pretty much does, lurk the QTDDTOT. If you come up on a term you don't understand, or someone says something you don't believe, fact check with Wikipedia. Supplement your lurking with Youtube. That's how I got pretty well informed about guns before I'd even bought my first one.

>good beginner's gun
That's way too broad. We need at least a generic purpose, and a rough budget. Are you looking for marksmanship practice? Home defense? Concealed-carry? Hunting? Just plain plinking fun? At least narrow it down to handgun, shotgun, or rifle first
>>
>>32234979
>At least narrow it down to handgun, shotgun, or rifle first

I kind of a shotgun fag but I'm not sure how good a place that would be to start. Admittedly, the KSG looks neat but I hear a lot of shit talked about Kel-Tec and it seems way too pricey to begin with.
>>
>>32235328
But what do you plan to do with your gun?

If you don't have a particular purpose in mind and you just want a range toy, that's fine. In that case, nothing wrong with a shotgun.

If you're worried about price try used first. Go through pawn shops, look on Armslist and any local classifieds that include guns.
>>
>>32233740
>>32233753
>>32234051
The problem is absolute beginners ( I was one, no one in my family cared about guns) have no idea what the basics are so they don't know what to look up. Combined with the lack of good infographics, getting your base knowledge takes a lot of time as you have to troll through old forum posts and watch long videos.
>>
>>32233788

Where at in WA state? Any where around the Oly area?
>>
>>32235608
I started off like that, but I did okay just by looking up any terms I didn't know.

One thing that really helped give me perspective was watching CAD animations of how the different actions work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqZsSk5FFX4
>>
is $560 a good price on a brand new CZ-75BD?
>>
>>32235724
>>32233788
Lakewood here, but I'm around Oly quite a bit for Indie Film stuff
>>
>>32234969

Would a Maverick 88 be a good first gun? I know you're supposed to start on .22 but I can only afford one gun and I need something that can pull double duty as a defense and SHTF emergency hunting gun.
>>
>>32235724
OP here, Seattle.

>>32235400
Mostly just a range toy, but I'm also paranoid and would like something for home defense if things come to that.
>>
>>32233714
Google. Seriously that's it. Also I guess lurking on /k/
>>
>>32236165
Any .22 rifle will do.

Get the best scope you can afford (ie something that says Nikon on it), and take it to a local gunsmith and have him give it a trigger job. Everybody shoots five times better with a good trigger.
>>
>>32236317
>home defense
Then you prolly want a semi auto. The Ruger 10/22 comes to mind. Use hypervelocity hollowpoints for two legged varmints; it's like shooting the fuckers with small buckshot one at a time. Magdump until they fall down or turn away.
>>
File: XMcomplete.jpg (159KB, 1022x463px) Image search: [Google]
XMcomplete.jpg
159KB, 1022x463px
>>32233714
youtube is a good place
love this guy
https://www.youtube.com/user/plinking101/videos
sootch00 older videos are great
also check out tnoutdoors9:
https://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/videos

pic semi related
either buy an AK or AR15 as for "beginner gun"
if you really want to go the safe way
> Ruger 10/22
>>
Go to YouTube and watch some disassembly videos. That gives you an idea of how parts work together. Iraqvet does a good job with ARs. There's a subreddit called educationalgifs that has quite a few "X-rays" of how guns work. Keep your respect for the gun. Never become complacent. Eventually, things will just click for you, and you'll get comfortable, but remember this feeling. Also remember that /k/ is confusing. They'll help you out, when you're learning, but if you post anything claiming to know anything, or your proud first purchase, you will be summarily crucified. It's my favorite part, because everyone doesn't suck everyone else off. If you want to know all the bad shit about a gun, post a pic claiming its the greatest firearm ever conceived, and watch your world burn. Even the Glock 19 is not immune.. The 1911, a gun that has been around forever with minor changes, and an outstanding track record, is often a piece of shit, on this board. A few quick hitters for a starter - you have to aim a shotgun - cycling a shotgun won't scare off a home invader - the AR has been around long enough that they have generally caught up to the AK in terms of reliability (here comes a reaction) - a .50 caliber round whizzing by your head will not rip off half of your face, skull, or body - get a concealed carry gun with a good track record AND MAKES YOU COMFORTABLE (don't get a Shield because everyone has one, get it because you like how it shoots and you think you can conceal it with relative ease). - The feel of a gun in your hand is only a part of the puzzle. Make sure you put rounds on a target before you purchase. Some guns just don't work for people. I'm the only person I know who has an issue with firing XD pistols because of the safety. My hands must not be as webbed as you cretins. Love the feel of them, but don't need a gun that may let me down when I need it. Good luck, man.
>>
>>32236165

If your set on a shotgun I would save your shekels and get a Mossberg 500, or check some pawn shops for used ones.
>>
bem
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.