[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

30-06 vs 308; Garand vs M1A

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: garands1.jpg (55KB, 700x131px) Image search: [Google]
garands1.jpg
55KB, 700x131px
Ok, so something about the funz that the U.S. military uses makes my peepee hard. Already bought two Colt AR-15s, made one an M4gery, and the other a mall ninja cause why not. Bought a NIB Beretta 92A1 just to seal the deal.

However, I am craving an older weapon.
>Inb4 Get a nugget senpai
I'm interested in either an M14, or an M1 Garand. Although I can't decide between 30-06, and 308.
If i go with the M14 style, it'll be Spingfields Standard M1A.
I couldn't find any "modern" M1 Garands. Does that mean the only garands I can get will be surplus?

Just please 'redpill' on why I should get 308 or 30-06; Garand vs M1A. Definitely interested in facts and your opinions
>>
>>32233267
Depends, who do you hate more? Commies, or Nazis?
>>
>>32233267
Fulton armory makes "like new" Garands. They put em together from original, unissued receivers.
>>
thats funny, I just started watching the Hickok45 video on the M1A.

https://youtu.be/JAMIE3aL7Ac

I'm thinking of buying one, but I'm relatively uninformed about it. Thoughts?
>>
>>32233306
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx
>>
>>32233267
As far as I know, there is no reproduction garand. If you want a garand in 7.62x51, they exist.

Let me sum up the advantages of both (compared to the other)

Garand
>PING!

M14 / M1A
>Detachable magazines
>>
>>32233267
An M1A is a more reliable M1 which also happens to have a box magazine, barrel attachments, and some degree of aftermarket modularity.

Despite what buttmad ARfags will insist, a Springfield M1A is cast and assembled in the United States, not Brazil. (Unless you get an old one, which was cast in Canada). A new production M1A will not, however, be assembled with USGI parts anymore.

I believe Fulton Armory makes new-production garands, but they are pricey. Springfield made them in the past

Really this is going to come down to your preference. Which do you prefer:
-The history of a CMP Garand
vs.
-The modularity and convenience of an M1A
>>
They both suck. Get a hk91or a ar10 if you want a 308
>>
>>32233376
Enjoy teh ban
>>
>>32233374
>>32233327
So in the end, are the calibers essentially the same?
>>
>>32233390
Pretty much.
>>
>>32233390
And I think they are both as ammo picky too.
>>
File: IMG_20160723_100449.jpg (876KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160723_100449.jpg
876KB, 2448x3264px
CMP sells pretty much brand new rifles. Brand new stock, brand new barrel and all metal parts refinished. 3006 out of the garand is a joy to shoot. Very mild compared to a bolt action full power round. Actually softer than my 308 ptr91 to be honest. The big negative on the garand tho is you need to get either surplus or specific m2 ball loads.

I recommend the CMP program. I got 2 mid to upper grade garands with very good throat and muzzle erosion grades(1s and 2s) for 730 a piece shipped to my door.
>>
File: IMG_20160723_200113.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160723_200113.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32234098

Service grade is the middle grade that I received.

Special grade is what OPs after.
>>
>>32234098
PRVI, Sellier & Belliot, and Federal make ammo that is designed for a garand. All of which fall in line with their offerings in .308 or regular .30-06.

As for surplus, Korean & some Danish is floating around and the CMP is still selling Greek the last time I looked.
Korean surplus (KA) has some debate on whether it is corrosive primed, but without a doubt there is some corrosion primed American surplus amongst it. It is boxer primed but flash holes are consistently off center.
Danish surplus (AMA) is clean, great shooting and accurate. Unfortunately it is berdan primed so it is not very valuable to reloaders.
Greek surplus (HXP) is non corrosive and par as far as accuracy. The brass is boxer primed and of the same quality as standard commercial brass.

I have also read that ammo selection for an M1A is also as important (being a garand derived action). You are going to need to buy either surplus or ammo designed for it as well.
>>
>>32233267
>Just please 'redpill' on why I should get 308 or 30-06

Does cost of feeding the beast have any impact on the choice?
>>
>>32233267
Just get a .308 garand
>>
M2 30-06 and 7.62NATO are basically the same in performance.

M1A wins because it has a detachable box magazine.
>>
got a 308 special from the cmp
only difference is the spacer block in the magwell and new 308 barrel. still want a proper 3006
>>
>>32233267
If you're ever concerned with the whole "military ammo" thing, 30-06 is probably one of the few fudd rounds that actually will stick around, which provides longevity to the M1 Garand.

I dunno, it's mostly about what you prefer. The round and cost of shooting it is different for each gun.
>>
James river armory has refurbished M1 Garrands, carbines, M14's ect. I have a Garrand from them. It's 30-06 and I love it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.