[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KTG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 76

File: griptilian.jpg (649KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
griptilian.jpg
649KB, 3000x2250px
Knife Thread General

Liberals are stupid edition...

Not sure what number it is, sorry lads!
>>
So I have a story, and I'm curious what you lads have to say about it.

I currently carry a griptilian as my EDC. For the last few days I was away at a seminar thing with just over a hundred people.

I never once took it out of my pocket to do anything except briefly to cut a rotten spot off of an apple, which I discretely did in the restroom where only one other person was.

I specifically did this both to avoid making a scene, and also to be able to rinse the blade real quick right after. The guy in the restroom made a joke about it being a "big hunting blade for such a small apple" and said something else about how I don't see him "carrying around a machete to eat a sandwich", but ultimately laughed it off, and walked away peacefully, no harm done.

I told a family member about this, thinking it was funny, and another family member started freaking out about how that's so wrong of me to do, and I could have been arrested, and it's a weapon, weapon weapon, knives are weapons waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Apparently the other family member I was originally talking to ended up agreeing with them and said it was highly inappropriate for me to carry it to a seminar (my bad, didn't realize an EDC was only for when you were going camping or if you're a police officer) :^).

Then I got a third opinion thinking they would side with me, NOPE. All three were against it heavily, said it was really stupid. Went on to tell me about how if I went into a job interview and had that I would never get a job, and they certainly wouldn't hire me.

Finally, I called another family member to ask a fourth opinion. Same thing, even told me it should be illegal in "Target", "I'm sure nobody in target wants someone walking around carrying a **KNIFE**" they said to me. I told that last one how there was a man at the same place I was who was carrying a concealed hand gun. I was the only one, other than his wife, that knew. He, like I, was discrete about it.
>>
>>32224463
cont.

Turns out he is ex military, now a cop. Family member says because he is a cop it is justifiable because he is "highly trained".

Apparently people can't be trained unless they are cops, and it's not appropriate, right, or within reason for anyone to carry a knife or a gun unless they are a cop. And scissors can do the same thing.

Thoughts, anons? I'm pretty upset about this whole thing. Can't believe they are all this retarded.
>>
File: wew_sword.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wew_sword.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
>>32224463
>>32224476
>muh weapon

Pic related.
>>
>>32224463
>>32224476
Literally the only explanation is they're pussies. Also they're classic sheeple where people in authority are all knowing and dumb citizens can't be trusted.
>>
>>32224844
Checked.

Pretty accurate. Wish there weren't so many fuckbuckets like this in the world. At least cop-bro would have had a problem with it,
>>
>>32224463
>>32224476
fucking pussies, i carry a knife have sharpened 2 co workers knifes , know 3 others always carry multi tools , sometimes il carry a second smaller knofe ( dragonfly 2) if i have to use it in public around yuppies
>>
>>32225019
Kek. I actually thought about that too. Works out well for you? Does a less menacing knife make a different impact on them usually, or are they still gonna be little bitches about it?
>>
>>32225075
depends what knife im carrying, if im carrying my zt 0452cf, or my manix 2 xl il usually bring my little knife anything smaler i dont bother, Most of my cutting is at home, around family ( who knows i collect knives) or at work i dont often have to whip it out inpublic ( infront of people at least)
>>
>>32225116
What do you think of the manix friendo? How about the sage? I've yet to decide on a favorite locking mechanism.
>>
File: 20160807_124702.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_124702.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Can't carry any knives at all here in Australia, pic related is a Rockstead I saw at the sydney knife show
>>
It suprise me every time someone asks "why do you carry a knife".
>>
>>32225208
never tried the sage, im a fan of the manix 2 xl it is big but fits my large hands perfectly,( i also carry my knives in a different place than most so size and weight dont matter much for what i carry ) ball bearing lock is great for one handed opening /closing and is 1000% easier for maintenance than an axis lock also m ine happens to be super smooth
>>
File: IMG_20161205_191209.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161205_191209.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
Easy solution:
Always get your gear in pink if it is available.
>>
>>32225255
And what do YOU usually say?

Also, what SHOULD you say, since people don't seem to like my answer.

>>32225262
I have small hands, how do you feel it compares to the axis in ease of use as well as general strength? Also, where do you carry them?

>>32225291
Kek.
>>
>>32224889
>would
wouldn't*
>>
File: IMG_20161205_191526_r.jpg (733KB, 2784x2088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161205_191526_r.jpg
733KB, 2784x2088px
>>32225305
No really.
>>
>>32225357
Fuck anon. I think...... I think you might be right. It'd probably be really hard to take anything like that seriously or menacingly...
>>
>>32225305
for anyoen who asks me why i carry a knife i usuay refefrence to why i have the knife out in the first place, or i use it 20 times a day at work also i personaly prefer the ball bearing lock, its a bit stiffer at first but once broken in i find it easier to use with gloves, or easier to use with one finger ( as opposed to pinching both sides ) aso i would trust my manix 2 xl for harder use than i woud any of my benchmades ( though the size and full steel liners hep with that)
>>
>>32225387
Yeah alright, sounds fair enough.
>>
>>32225305
I have the authority excuse, I can say I'm a fireman, but I have carried a knife everyday since age~9.

I tell them the truth, there aren't many things a knife wouldn't help with, open packaging, prying (only if absolutely necessary), screwdriver (only if absolutely necessary), used the end of handle as a hammer, freeing stuck zipper, clean fingernails, remove splinter.
>>
File: IMG_20161205_211745824.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161205_211745824.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>32225305
I carry most of my knives in a pocket slightly above my knee on the right side, right at hand height and it carry's the weight really well ( I've spent a day with 9 ounces of knives there and it wasnt that bad, while I normally like 4 or less in my upper pockets
>>
File: IMG_20161205_211750303.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161205_211750303.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>32225447
Dragonfly 2 goes in my little secondary coin pocket or whatever the fuck this is
Apologies for fuckhuge pics

Also carrying my knives like this leaves my main pockets open for phone, wallet , and keys
>>
>>32225447
Awesome, thanks for the picture anon. I've never done that, but in fairness, most of my pants aren't like that. I usually have jeans, sweatpants, and dressy slacks.

>>32225422
Checked.

I can come up with a lot of small reasons, but the reality is, you end up finding it easy to use it for a lot of things after having access to one, more so than not having one. That is, having one for the sake of having it when you might both want or need it, is what WE do, but that's a concept that others just can't seem to understand.

>>32225472
I usually clip my one EDC to the side of my main pocket on the right side, and drop my phone in next to it. Requires proper applied care in placing/ removing phone, but it werks.
>>
>>32225500
i do what you describes when i wear jeans or shorts, but most often i wear my work pants that have those pockets
>>
File: 06997.jpg (126KB, 720x662px) Image search: [Google]
06997.jpg
126KB, 720x662px
>>32224463
I have found that if you carry pen knives, they are so unassuming, no one bats an eye at them.
>>
File: IMG_0036.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0036.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Current collection. Benchmade griptilion is my edc for 4 years and looks like it
>>
>>32225543
Fucking 4chan. Guess you'll have to break your neck to look at it.
>>
>>32225543
>brass knuckles
kek

>>32225528
Meh.

>>32225524
Right. Guess you wear those more frequently though.

Thoughts on the compression lock?
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (2MB, 3022x2660px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
2MB, 3022x2660px
>>32225543
>>
>>32225568
They're old and given to me a long time ago. Why not keep them? Just a collectable and fun to wear. Stop being edgy
>>32225584
Fuck it I give up on it
>>
>>32225568
i really like my compression lock pm2, its my quietest knife if that makes sense very smooth, easy to use once you get the hang of it, and your fingers arent in the path of the blade, At my work its alot of small tasks with a knife and alot of in and out of the pocket, so knives that are easily opened and closed one handed quickly are best for me, Ball bearing and axis being the easiest, but compression work well and i like fondiling it better frame lock and liner lock are slightly slower but still not bad
>>
>>32225622
I want your personal review and comparison of all locking mechanisms you have used, if you wouldn't mind. Like, a general concise review of each individual one, and where they sit in comparison to the others.

Appreciate it!
>>
>>32225654
yeah , il type it up on my phone , not sure why you ant my oppinion but im glad to give it
>>
File: 1465283736555.jpg (92KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
1465283736555.jpg
92KB, 500x481px
>>32225667
Why? I don't know either, but I do. So thanks.
>>
>>32224476
yeah they're idiots

>>32224674
missed foot-in-photo opportunity
>>
>>32225543
How useful is the blade on that Schrade Old Timer? I'm looking around for knives with similar blade shapes.
>>
>>32224463

Sorry to hear your family is fucking retarded.

I have a story on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I used to work stadium security at my university's football games. "Stadium security" basically meant glorified seat-checkers, we were completely unarmed, couldn't even carry a knife or a flashlight as it was illegal on the stadium premises. Cops did bag checks, etc but generally didn't give too much of a fuck, more to follow. And the policy towards aggressors or people suffering medical emergencies was entirely hands-off; if someone was having a heart attack in front of us and we went to give CPR, we would have no legal help from the company and we'd be buttfucked legally. If someone was attacking us, the company "advised" us to simply retreat and find professional aid, but we technically were allowed to defend ourselves at our discretion (but it was implied the company would still drop you like a sack of potatoes after the situation was over).

Anyway, I was placed in a nice condition indoors with air conditioning (in our stadium's VIP hall for high-schoolers that the school was trying to recruit), and there was a police officer stationed there with us.

I got talking to him about engineering and high-school since his son was starting to take AP level classes and showed an interest, and he got a call over the radio that apparently some dicksuck faggot whined to the police that someone had carried a pocketknife into the game and used it to cut their foot long frank into more manageable bites or some shit. He kek'd and said that the officers didn't give a fuck as long as he wasn't shanking anyone.

I started talking to him about knives and shit, which was cool. He had the automatic Benchmade Adamas model.

He also told me his favorite websites to torrent and illegally download currently-showing theater movies. A fucking cop telling me how to discreetly break the law, kek.
>>
File: IMG_5043.jpg (2MB, 1224x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5043.jpg
2MB, 1224x1224px
>>
>>32225225
Literally no knives? Fuck I hear UK can carry a small bladed knives with no lock. Like a spyderco UKPK. In Canada I can carry whatever just no button press switch blades
>>
>>32226076
Nice story friend. Thanks for sharing.
Apparently cop-bro's aren't that bad...

>>32226116
Would they be okay with something like the ring lock on an Opinel?
>>
>>32225961
It's very useful. Skinned many coyotes with it. Get the USA model though gotta look on eBay. More expensive but it's worth it
>>
>>32226145
thanks
>>
File: IMG_3710.jpg (178KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3710.jpg
178KB, 2000x1333px
these girls never come out to play
>>
>>32225654
Alright
Locking mechanism stuff
This is strictly my opinions based on my experiences
YMMV

>Liner lock
Basic , widely available , easy to use , one handed opening and closing possible, though not necessarily the best
Usually easy to disassemble /maintain

>Frame lock
A fancy better liner lock
Basic principal as liner lock but more beefy widely available
Easy one handed opening , closing sometimes more stiff than liner lock
Usually easy to disassemble /maintain

>Lockback
Basic principal widely available one handed opening possible on some, one handed closing somewhat difficult
Somewhat slow
Sturdy lockup
Relatively easy disassembly /maintenance
Not my favorite overall

>Axis
Only benchmade(and knockoffs)
Usually a bit of blade play
Easy one handed opening /closing
Quick
Disassembly, maintenance, reassembly is a total pain in the ass
Extra parts to get lost, and it's just a difficult design to reassemble
Also somewhat prone to dust/dirt in locking mechanism
Fondle factor a+

>Spyderco caged ball bearing lock
Wish there were more knives with this kind of lock
Easy one handed opening/closing
Easy with gloves on
Easy with cold hands
Easy with wet hands
Lock will be a bit stiff at first but it should break in nicely

Surprisingly easy to disassemble, maintain, reassemble
Fondle factor a+

>Compression lock
Arguably favorite lock
Wish more knives had this lock ( and good non shit wasters )
Interesting design
Sadly not very available
Fondle factor a++
Fingers out of the way
Smooth lockup
Nice sound
Not sure on disassembly desu, I have yet to disassemble my pm2 even though it's a user

Overall
Compression comes in first
Caged ball bearing a close second ( if spyderco made some smaller knives with this lock I would love them I like to think)
Titanium frame lock third, easy maintenance is nice

Liner lock, and lock back are unranked
Perfectly good locking mechanisms , will use them if I need to but I prefer others
>>
File: IMG_3723.jpg (247KB, 2000x1416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3723.jpg
247KB, 2000x1416px
>>32226183
BM 530 is my go to for work, usually have either my 3550 or my amicus for when i'm not working as
>>
File: IMG_3715.jpg (249KB, 2000x1315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3715.jpg
249KB, 2000x1315px
>>32226192
>>
>>32226192
>tfw before I could tighten my pocket clip I lost it.
Hold me
>>
>>32226189
And the poor axis lock shot itself in the foot with how shit it is to disassemble and maintain as well as exclusivity/price

It's a fun locking mechanism and great for one handed use etc but it's not that easy to clean and maintain and that's almost a deal breaker for me since my knives tend to get filthy and or soaked , and require frequent internal cleaning
>>
>>32226189
Great, thanks for that info anon.

I've felt the same with you about liner/ frame. I consider it standard and "decent" but not really preference with other options available. Lockback drives me crazy, I hate it.
>>
>>32226137
Yeah probably in oz. just maybe infront of people don't engage the lock if they are going to freak the fuck out. One of the only positive things about knife/gun laws in Canuckistan is I could OC a katana or claymore if I wanted to
>>32226152
Np bud.
>>
>>32225696
I can type up a more clear opinion on locking mechanisms to.orrow everything tonight was done on cellphone and I know is sloppy, poorly worded, probably missed spelled
And just terrible in general
>>32226252
Also typical kickbacks like the bucks etc drive me crazy as well
But most of my experience has been with a spyderco dragonfly that is actually very manageable as a lock back

Frame locks I don't have too much experience with but a nice titanium frame lock is a nice solid feel imho
>>
>>32226279
I've yet to experience the ball bearing or compression, I've actually never had a spyderco, but have spent a while looking into them. I'm very excited to get one of them eventually.

If you're willing to type an even bigger comparison/ opinion later, I won't complain.
>>
>>32226309
The caged ball bearing lock is basically an axis lock on the outside except it's a bit larger stuff to get purchase on to open the knife
More grippy etc
And significantly easier to disassemble and clean
>>
>>32224674
What kind of sword is that, friendo?
>>
Why do you guys seem to overwhelmingly prefer silly tactical knives over classics like Bucks?

I know the crowd here is probably fairly young, maybe early 20s, is it just a generational thing?
>>
>>32226426
I think you should check Buck's catalog pal.

>>32226386
It's a short sword, my friend. 1050.
>>
>>32226426
A normal buck lock back tends to be thick , heavy and doesn't have a pocket clip , which means it carry's in the bottom of a pocket banging around etc
So you somewhat have to rummage through your pockets to get to it
Slot of people who use a knife on a daily basis need somewhat quick access to their knife
The bucks are usually also two handed opening and closing , which can be a bit slow and not convenient
(At my work I do a daily task that takes about an hour maybe 50 min on a good day)said task requires lots of quock cuts then putting the knife away

I had one day where I forgot mypocket knife and had to use a utility knife, perfectly sharp
Got rhe job done
But it was clunky in the bottom of my pocket and it took me longer to fish it out of my pocket and open it than it normally takes me to do with my normal knife

And that day I forgot my normal knife that daily task took an extra 25 minutes
That I could have been doing something else productive with
It would have taken even longer with a buck knife

Also buck knives aren't the best steel and done hold an edge for super duper long like modern super steels do
And a normal buck knife weighs something around 7 ounces
Where my EdC knife weighs 5 max and more often around 2-3
>>
>>32226502
No shit its a shortsword you double spaniard who's the manufacturer?
>>
>>32226426
>>32226519
Tldr
Modern knives weigh less
Have pocket clips which aid in organization etc
Also pocket clips just make the knife carry better
Have lighter stronger grippier handle materials
Have better steels that hold an edge longer or are more corotiotion resistant
Are more ergonomic
Easier/faster to open and close one handed

Overall it just comes down to the fact that they are more convenient
>>
File: IMG_20161205_2001061.jpg (2MB, 3672x4896px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161205_2001061.jpg
2MB, 3672x4896px
Grandpa parachuted into Iwo with this.

I'm a cuck who doesn't to get fired so I carry this to work rather than his 1911. Walk past a tribe of 20 drunk strung out transients every morning. #justI5things
>>
>>32224476
I'm sorry your family is so fucking beta anon. I carry a Benchmade Contego, and an izula II with sheath in pocket, in California, and I've not heard a single cry
>>
>>32226426
for me it's one-handed opening, flippers, and pocket clips. My last job had me opening containers of all sorts all the time. Modern knives are really quick and convenient.
>>
>>32224386
sorry your family is weird..

i has a modest knaf collection:

spyderco manix 2
piranha p1
hinderer xm18
emerson commander x 2
emerson cqc7v
>>
>>32224463

Are you over 18?

Then tell them that you're an adult, you make your own decisions about what you have in your pockets, and they can mind their own fucking business about it.

Problem solved.
>>
Any opinions on various manufacturers? What do people think of Cold Steel? Mora? Benchmade? Spyderco? What's good and bad?
>>
>>32227274
Yes I am anon, it's not a problem of them controlling me, so much as me feeling bad that my family is a bunch of faggots. It's a sad realization...
>>
>>32225255
Yeah that wierds me out too. But I'm living in Libtard central and, while a few people were surprised, no one has actually had a problem with it yet...
>>
>>32225305
On the rare occasion that someone asks I tell them it was a habit I picked up in childhood. If they persist (none have yet) I would tell them I grew up really rural (big farming community but far from town). I think it's important to stay calm in these situations. For me, carrying a knife is the most natural thing in the world and in a perfect world so would most everybody.
>>
>>32227274
>>32227313
>>32227320
Wanna know the saddest part about my story?

My family members are die hard republicans...
>>
File: halee.png (267KB, 503x410px) Image search: [Google]
halee.png
267KB, 503x410px
What do people think of the gerber knives?
Decent poorfag option or total shit?
>>
File: 1480887655825.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480887655825.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>32227369
Republicucks are some of the most uptight, ignorant and paranoid people. We tend to always accuse liberals of being bed wetters but truthfully there are whiny bitches on both sides.
>>
I have a 490 Amicus in my Amazon cart. Am I fucking up?
>>
So I just got a bit of B-day cash and was looking to get a new bush knife, and I can't decide between the rat7 and the esee6. Which is the better option?
>>
>>32227293
i never look at cold steel or SOG because of all the bad shit i hear about them CONSTANTLY.
more than i hear about any other brand but gerber.
that being said, i like to gravitate towards spyderco especially, and then benchmade right after, because well, i can afford spyderco more than benchmade.
ive got some kershaws, some bucks, two S&W's, but none of them just have the personallity of a spyderco.
thats just my two cents at least, oh, and opinel is good but its not like they have many different models
the bad of benchmade, everythings expensive.
the bad of spyderco? their interesting awesome models like, say, the spyderco ouroboros, is tooooooo expensive for what it is, what it has going for it is the design, but its running the same VG-10 steel as their endura and delica.
same with the spyderco Roc, i love both in my mind, but my wallet says whyyyyyy

>convince me to get the ouroboros, i dare you.
>>
is giesen + forsthoff any good? i have a knife a friend gave me a decade ago that im looking to sharpen. ive had it a long time and its screwed in more random shit than any screw driver ive kept on me, but the tip is a bit fucked. i looked them up, they seem ok, but im curious of the opinion from those who collect knives and keep them and shit.
>>
What does /ktg/ think of kiridashi?

Are there any non-moon sites that don't have a retarded markup? If there aren't I'll just buy one, but it seems stupid to pay that much for a sharpened bar of steel. I'm going to be making pseudo-chashaku to practice carving, so this won't be a serious long term purchase, any sort of experience is appreciated.
>>
File: 187_106-310-x-210.jpg (236KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
187_106-310-x-210.jpg
236KB, 500x333px
i really want to buy a small khukuri but i'm still wondering what i'll use it for. it doesn't look very handy to cut my steaks
>>
>>32227555
Mediocre, mostly running on the Gerber name, although it's a slight step above S&W knives. Stick with Kershaw for decent cheap knives.
>>
>>32227293
All of them are good. If you go with cold steel just be sure to get their CTS xhp steel. The only reason it's disliked here is because of its cringy videos. Avoid their version of larger weapons though. Machetes they make are okay.
>>
>>32227555
For the price of a cheap Gerber that's shit you can get a good Kershaw or a Buck that sharpens up nice.
>>
>>32229054
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/category/HT121-01/knives.aspx?sort=priceA

Also Ecos Knives if you don't mind non-Japanese made kiridashis.

>>32229544
>>32227293
You have to keep in mind that it was only in 2015 that Cold Steel started using improved steels, locks, and grinds. In addition to their mall ninja videos, questionable business decisions, and many of their obnoxious fans, it didn't give people a good image of them. Cold Steel also makes way more than just knives. They're all over the place in terms of quality if you factor everything they make.

As far as knives go, their mid priced ($50-150 range) are actually pretty good. Their cheap knives can be decent for the price or mediocre. Their premium line of knives are overpriced for what you're getting.
>>
>>32228209
Wait for the ouroboros to come out in a zdp or s110 sprintrun for slightly more
Then swap out the Teflons for phosphor bronze
>>
Any thoughts on this knife ?
>>
>>32225357
That Griptilian looks really nice...
>>
>>32226116
He's wrong, you can carry a knife in Australia, you just need to have "good reason" but really most of the time cops dont care, I've carried a spyderco for 6 years and even cops that have seen it haven't cared.
>>
File: 1480849489151.png (279KB, 688x680px) Image search: [Google]
1480849489151.png
279KB, 688x680px
>>32230166
'its 4 werk'
>>
>>32230166
I've always carried a pocket knife or leatherman around, cops don't give a shit.
Now, if you look like some random faggot that stabs people for fun and profit, baseball cap and trackie pants, they'll probably bust you for it.
>>
>>32229983
I wonder if the mini grip is less menacing too, just by size difference.
>>
File: rsz_img_20161025_094327.jpg (130KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20161025_094327.jpg
130KB, 747x1328px
OP, hearing shit like your dumb ass story just adds another notch in the /k/ is functionally retarded belt. Youre so fucking autismal you hid away like a little faggot because muh scary salt knife then your cucked ass family made fun of you for it. No really, if your family is that fucking stupid then you are too for dealing with their shit. Ive used a knife daily everywhere ive been for around 10 years and not one single person has ever commented on it negatively, not even the cops. That reminds me ahktually..

>sitting at safeway waiting for the wife to come out with sandwiches
>my 5 year old is in the back seat playing with plastic toy pistol
>wife comes back, pull out of stall
>make it to the exit of the parking lot
>notice cop, put seatbelt on
>notice other cop
>these poor bastards have me aurrounded again
>DRIVER SHUT DOWN THE VEHICLE AND GET OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP
>comply
>WALK BACKWARDS TO THE SOUND OF MY VOICE
>comply
>am cuffed
>tell dude that cuffed me about my mini grip, he grabs it out of my pocket
>tippy toes ginger rookie comes up to me, hands shaking
>WHERES THE GUN
>wut
>oh, hah, its a toy gun.
>A TOY? I ALMOST SHOT YOU
>y tho
>IM GONNA CHECK IT OUT WAIT HERE
>he goes to the car, starts pulling out some other knives
>other cops pass around my bk4 and benchmade precinct
>ginger comes back to lecture me about how criminals paint their guns to do crimes and im terribly irresponsible for letting my boy have a toy gun
>cuffs cop lets me out, gets in his truck and leaves
>oh fuck my knife
>walk over to where tippy toes is chatting with the other cops
>hey wheres my pocket knife? Did that dude just take it?
>tippy toes rolls his eyes, sighs and pulls out my mini grip
>oh, yeah, i have it. Here.

Fucker tried to keep it
>>
>>32230718
I didn't hide away, I just didn't flaunt shit around needlessly, and only took it out when necessary. It was also obvious that a lot of the people around me at the time would have had an issue with it, so I was being what one calls competent, forgive me if you're not familiar with this concept. :^)

My family is the issue here, the point of focus, I assumed they weren't retarded about knives and guns and shit, but apparently I was wrong, and they were.
>>
>>32229601
Do you think It eventually will? After all, the Roc hasn't..
>>
Recommend me some decent flipper's under the $300 range, or brands that carry decent flippers under that range.

Spyderco has a handful of decent looking flippers but they get expensive quickly. I like the positron but feel both the flipper and deployment hole could be a bit bigger.
>>
>>32228209

Don't. It's a spectacular design but due to some of the design decisions it's expensive as fuck to make. Odds are they will figure some of those issues out when they inevitably make a bigger version, should become a better value as it gets iterated.

Also, VG-10 would be ok if Spyderco ran it a bit harder. Hopefully they go to a tool steel of some kind with that model down the road (i.e. Hap40, M4, etc).
>>
File: 20161201_190329.jpg (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_190329.jpg
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>32224386
Bump
>>
File: 1480629545590.jpg (247KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
1480629545590.jpg
247KB, 700x466px
>>32230846
They are, so are you.

Also learn what competant means, its not being a pc faggot so you dont offend anyone whilst cutting a fucking apple. You literally went to the bathroom to hide from the sjws because you were afraid of someone caring about your knife.

As far as your family goes, it is easy to see why you acted that way. Growing up in white bread suburban fear land has made you a cuck. I suggest you quit school and go do something useful so you dont end up another 20 something with a degree, no prospects, and the mentality of a teenager because youve never seen shit besides school and your family's house.
>>
>>32227555
If you can find the well made paraframe 2 thats TiN coated they are a good disposable knife. Now gerber also makes that exact same knife thats painted and its complete garbage. They are china tier shit these days but i carried a paraframe for so long thats its what i like. Bear G. Is a fag
>>
>>32231242
Go zt for flippers, 0450 is manual action for 150-180 bucks, 0566 is assisted and also around that price. If you want more fancy stuff just check out bladehq im pretty sure you can filter by flippers and price range
>>
>>32230996
Fingers crossed
Also going to buy one ( if they do ) and swap out the Teflon washers for phosphor bronze
>>
File: corsican.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
corsican.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
sadly i'm a bit too poor for this beauty
>>
>>32231530
Youre a sheep horn fgt
>>
>>32231433
Yeah I do like the 0450, not a huge fan of assisted openers. What do you think of Kizer?
>>
>>32224463
>>32224476
My sister thought my fucking shuffle was too big of a knife.
>>
>>32224386
I like dis
>>
>>32231573
I bought a kizer at half price, they are pretty and that is it. If you are going to be using it or playing with it often dont get a kizer. Their ht is so soft that i dropped it on a pine deck while open, it landed tip down and bent. Looked and felt beautiful, cant beat the look for the deals you can get on them sometimes. Look at Reate, they are also chinese but i have heard good things about them and theres some jewtube reviews
>>
>>32231577
You should shuffle right in there if you know what i mean
>>
File: hur.jpg (93KB, 755x696px) Image search: [Google]
hur.jpg
93KB, 755x696px
>>32231722
Checked and kek'd
>>
File: 7101401.jpg (168KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
7101401.jpg
168KB, 800x800px
>>32224386
It's a 556 :^)
>>
>>32231573
Id look at the 0566bwcf, you can pop it open and take the torsion bar out. The manual action is just as fast, not sure why they even made it assisted. Its steel handles though so if youre one of those ultralight fags its probably not for you. The 0450 is super light, quick, and just as well built except for one thing. Its s35vn as opposed to ELMAX, and from using both from ZT their ELMAX just shits on the s35vn.
>>
>>32225543
Looks nice
I'm curious about the big one what kind of steel is that ?
Damascus steel ?
And what do you use it for ?
>>
>>32231242

I'd buy the Spyderco Mantra.
>>
>>32227085
>manix 2
G10 or plastic?
Does the lock act fucky?
>>32227615
>Am I fucking up
A benchmade will last, but if you are looking for perfection that's all opinion
>>
File: FFG_Mora-3617.jpg (1MB, 2125x1195px) Image search: [Google]
FFG_Mora-3617.jpg
1MB, 2125x1195px
>>32231590
>Not reground to FFG

A waste of cutting ability unless you're actually using it for bushcrafting.
>>
>>32231242
>>32232008

Agreed. 3mm spine, FFG, CPM-M4. It's a ball bearing flipper while still being a high performance cutting tool.
>>
>>32227598
This. I miss having a middle ground. I miss agreeing to disagree. Now you have to demonize anyone who doesn't agree with you.
I prefer "tool" knives to tactical/weapon knives. Sheep le still freak, tacticool crowd calls me a pussy. I don't disparage the purpose or existence of weapon blades, I just prefer something more versatile. I can stab/slash you just as easy with a bushcraft or camp knife, but I'd have a hard tI'm making camp with a Cold Steel Ti-Lite or a CRKT Hissatsu. Plus, some of the small folders and utility-style blades come off as less threatening around no-knives.
Family still thinks I have too many knives and that liking them in the first place is weird, and they're all Republicans. With guns.
>>
>>32227698
ESEE 6. You won't miss the extra inch, quality is supposed to be slightly better now that they split from OKC, and it takes up a bit less space. I'm looking at getting one.
Check out the Boker Vox Rold. About the same price on Amazon. Have had mine for years and absolutely love it. Great blade and fantastic handle. Some people hate the sheath, mine came tight. Ymmv.
>>
>>32228209
Gerbers really depend on the model. Avoid anything under $20-$25. I've had good experiences with the Big Rock camp knife, Freeman folder (older one with wood scales) and Freeman fixed (got it on sale around $15). Fixed sharpens easy, holds an edge, and has a 90 degree spine that works great with a ferro rod. Want to try out a Strongarm.
>>
>>32230385
Maybe, but if someone is gunna bitch, size won't matter.
>>
>>32232516
Strongarm's fairly decent.
>>
>>32229749

Good stuff but bad push cutter due to the I beam
>>
File: 1481059203773-345842203.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
1481059203773-345842203.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
My edc. Bring on the hate I have no shame
>>
>>32234019
hold out I? right on, been thinking about a holdout II or III. how do you like it?
>>
>>32230718
weak shit dude. I got pulled over and given a sobriety test when I was carrying a large espada and a double agent around my neck. told the cop and he pulled them off and said "these are pretty bad ass..."
>>
Is the Ontario RAT 1 a meme or is it a decent cheap EDC knife?
>>
File: 6fbd2a47c65f5ab3f81f2b5e4b3329e1.png (568KB, 1481x248px) Image search: [Google]
6fbd2a47c65f5ab3f81f2b5e4b3329e1.png
568KB, 1481x248px
This is my knife. I love how it triggers libs.
>>
File: spike knife.jpg (86KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
spike knife.jpg
86KB, 768x960px
Anyone make their own knives?
>>
H1 steel is trash
>>
>>32234793
stock removal or actual forging?
>>
>>32234660
where the fuck do you kids get this "is X a meme?" literally seen that asked about every different kind of knife in these threads
>>
>>32224386
Bought my stepdad a Benchmade 550 for Christmas today. Sheepsfoot blade, thumbhole opening, half-serrated, black coated blade.

He always carries around a beat-to-shit 4" Buck folder.

Think he'll like it?
>>
>>32235241
>>32235241
Started by Hunter 3-1 Actual as a way to derail threads.
Retards didn't catch on and posted it everywhere.
It is now a meme :(
>>
>>32230718
>serrated

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>32226189
>>32226233
I've never been that bothered by AXIS, I'm surprised you guys are so annoyed by it. I used a Triage as my everyday shop knife for a few years and disassembled it every few weeks for cleaning, and the lock was never a big deal, maybe an extra minute or two. It's certainly nothing compared to assisted or auto knives.

>>32231242
I can't really "review" it yet, but I just got a Lionsteel TRE G10 and it's gorgeous and flips very well. Normal street price these days seems to be under 200.

I wish BM would do a framelock flipper. They recently released a ball-bearing flipper with an incredible action for the price, but it's a low-ish end knife with 154cm, G10, and a liner lock. They also have a BB framelock, again with a great action, but it's not a flipper. Combine the two and they'd have a real winner on their hands.
>>
>>32234660
Decent cheap EdC knife
Good eegos
Decent blade
D2 option
I have an Asus 8 version I don't use anymore because it's slightly too chunky for my preferences
>>
File: rsz_img_20160930_150646.jpg (189KB, 1316x638px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160930_150646.jpg
189KB, 1316x638px
>>32235529
Are you talking about this?
>>
>>32235288

Nah, he carries a beat to shit buck, bet he'd like a nicer buck.
>>
File: group.jpg (46KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
group.jpg
46KB, 526x526px
>>32235033
Actual forging. All three were from a 6" rail spike, these are the first 3 knives I've made so far.
>>
>>32235798
Now if you could manage to do one with an actually useful blade shape id throw you a couple bucks for it
>>
File: received_10154827878219485.jpg (168KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154827878219485.jpg
168KB, 1536x2048px
>>32236033
I started doing this last week and have mostly just been fucking around. I did a tanto style knife from an old lawnmower blade yesterday with a very simple handle. I did fuck the blade up a bit, poor heat treat I reckon and my softener fell out of the vise.
>>
>>32236144
Keep at it anon. If you get good enough I'll buy one for a reasonable price. Cheapest handmade I bought was $40 on bladeforums and it's a only a bit better than your pic related.
>>
>>32235635
Yeah, I think so. I think it's called the Precinct, right?

I fucked around with one in the store the other day and was blown away by how smooth and "flippy" it was, especially for the money. I was almost tempted to buy one just for the action but it's otherwise not my kind of knife and I probably wouldn't carry it. (I don't really like 154CM, I usually EDC under 3" because the next city over has a legal limit, and I'm not into liner locks.)
>>
>>32237029
Its a pretty solid knife, i ended up giving mine away to a train rider. The 100% g10 handles were weird as fuck, along with the handle shape. I grew to love the blade, and the action of course blows most everything ive used out of the water, but i never did like the handle. Also benchmades blade coating is garbage. A 6 inch cut into some sod did all that at the tip in my pic related.
>>
>>32224463
know the law, be legal. Know the rules, be compliant
9if on school property, e.g.). Know where to find it in writing. If you are good and you know it, fuck every one of those idiots you talked to.

The only concievable issue is that the grip is over 3" and most places that list pocketknives as dangerous weapons define them as 3" or over. The grip is over 3, the mini is under 3. (I carry a mini for that reason.) I seriously doubt anyone would give you shit about that, aside from hipster trash in a mens room.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.
>>
>>32225604
bahah
>>
Hey guys, what would you say is the most popular/common inexpensive knife in the 3" range?

I want to start doing knife review videos and I'd like to have a "reference knife" that I can use for size comparisons and the like.

>>32238365
Yeah, BM's coatings seem to suck. I've never owned one of their knifes that had a coating, but I've seen enough to make me always get my BMs with plain finishes.

>>32224463
It's funny. I live in Southern California, hang out with a lot of libs, and yet almost never get a hard time for my knives. People rib me about it once in a while ("oh look, it's MacGuyver" and stuff like that) but rarely does anybody actually seem freaked out or anything. Some of my friends and family ask why I carry one around all the time, or why I have "expensive" folders instead of a basic SAK or Leatherman, but nobody seems to be bothered by it.

I think the most common reaction I get is more along the lines of "wow, you're so handy." When people do ask why I carry one, "I started carrying one when I worked as a mechanic and it's useful all the time so I keep it" usually satisfies them.

I think a lot of it has to do with your general appearance and lifestyle, too. I'm 30 and look it, my hobbies are mostly /out/ or /diy/ stuff, and my fashion sense is somewhere between 1930s factory worker and REI catalog. People aren't bothered when I pull out a pocketknife because It's not at all surprising when I do.
>>
#62 btw.

All liberals are idiots.
>>
>>32239244
All republicans are retarded faggots
>>
>>32238920

Spyderco Delica.
>>
File: 20140224_040407.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140224_040407.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32234793
Tried a few, quickly realized they aren't worth the time/money invested.
>>
File: 30-001058N.jpg (51KB, 1310x657px) Image search: [Google]
30-001058N.jpg
51KB, 1310x657px
>>32229179
>>32229551
>>32231381

Isn't Kershaw mainly folders though? I have two Kershaw's that I EDC and I love them.

I was wondering more about the larger gerber knives I.E. Prodigy, Strongarm.
>>
>>32240187
Get okc, condor, ka bar becker before you get gerber anything
>>
File: 1481000283180.jpg (26KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1481000283180.jpg
26KB, 403x403px
>>32240187
Roger that. Thanks anon
>>
>>32232014
I love the lock on my Manix desu
>>
>>32231904

Not him but that's a Condor Hudson bay. The steel is not damascus, it is just unfinished like an oldschool axe head. Steel is 1075 High Carbon.
>>
when someone asks why you carry a knife, hit em with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYp7T-Q38lg
>>
>>32240411

Then they'll say "anon we're not on a boat that doesn't make sense, if you were a sailor of course you'd need a knife"
>>
>>32240432
then you say "well fucking do something with your life, even people on a skii boat could use one.
>>
>>32240636

And then they'll say "anon you're yelling please stop, people are staring" and then you get kicked out of the restaurant. Again. This is why your parents never take you out to dinner, even when you promise to be good.
>>
>>32234315
Fucking awesome. With the trip ad lock there's a bit of resistance opening it so you can't thumb flick it. However you can open it very quickly by slamming your hand down to pop the blade out. then snap it back up to fully open it. Very strong very sharp. Very big. But it's thin and narrow at the bottom so when it's in my pocket you would NEVER guess that I have 13 inches of knife ready to go. Get one
>>
>>32240670
fuck.

you're right.
>>
>>32229178
It's a bushwacker and a butchering knife...
>>
File: IMG_20161206_221842836.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161206_221842836.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
PSA: I just figured out that you should never put a carbon steel knife in the dishwasher. My brand-new Mora Robust Pro is a little worse off for it. A little light-grit sandpaper cleaned up most of the damage, and the edge seems okay, so I suppose the knife will be pretty much alright, but it got a hell of a patina real quick.
>>
>>32240831
Pussy
>>
>>32240831

Why would you need to put it in the dishwasher anyways? Some water and a run down and it's good to go?
>>
>>32240831
looks pretty neat honestly anon, please, try to find me anyone else here with the same design.
i emplore you to
>>
>>32240984

I had chopped an onion with it and was about to run a load of dishes anyway, so not knowing any better, I just put it in with everything else.

No major damage, and I'm glad I learned this lesson with a $15 knife instead of something more expensive.
>>
File: IMG_20161207_030044.jpg (1MB, 3006x2624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161207_030044.jpg
1MB, 3006x2624px
>>32225528
Ayy, look what I happened to have in my pocket.

It actually used to be tradition in my family for the men to exchange pocket knives like these on Christmas. We stopped because my grandpa has like fifty of them and he doesn't need any more, and I'll have a lot of those some day too. This one is one of my favorites.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys, finally got my hands on a limited edition version

How you guys like it?
>>
>>32240187
In that case Becker, Ontario, crk. There's a number of better options out there. Just go on bladehq, knifeworks, or knife center and look up fixed blades with 1095 steel for good prices. Have to admit that Gerber does look nice though.
>>
>>32241871
Looks nice. What's different about this one that it's limited?
>>
>>32241582
Sounds like a great tradition. You're lucky to have it.
>>
>>32242404
Agreed, I don't have any traditions.
I hardly even had thanksgiving this year
>>
>>32224386
hey i have a question for you guys, a friend of mine used to work at blade hq and hooked me up with a cheap Kalashnikov and a benchmade 9500 mini stryker auto tanto non serrated. and is going to either hook me up with a protech cocobolo or a real microtech scarab or similar for some favors i did him (these are the real $500 microtechs)

the benchmade is a $200 knife the kalashnicov like $50 stocking stuffer box cutter beater knife.

the question is can i even own these in my gunsafe in dade county? i would hate to get jailtime for a freaking knife even when i have a ccw.

https://www.municode.com/library/fl/miami_-_dade_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIIICOOR_CH21OFMIPR_ARTIIIWE

question is i'm moving to miami, dade county, which prohibits the sale purchase possesion etc of switchblade knives.
>>
>>32244039
Don't carry autos or keep them in your car. Problem solved.
>>
>>32244039
Don't keep it on you. Rest of Florida you should be okay.
>>
>>32242352
flat dark earth scales instead of black
>>
>>32244039
so having it in the safe is fine? it sounds like they can't be possessed ie owned?

(b)

Switch blades. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell, display, use, possess or carry any knife or knives having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, or other mechanical contrivance. Any such knife is hereby declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon, within the meaning of subsection (a) and shall be subject to forfeiture to the County as provided by subsection (c).
>>
>>32243908
Same here.
>>
Does anyone know if spyderco will ever bring back the super blue and hap40 sprint runs for the endura ever again?
I got in the knife game a little late, and I'm fiesty as fuck I don't have one

I don't want a damn ladybug in those steels, I want a knoife
>>
>>32244039
Just don't leave the house with an auto and you should be fine, nonsense like that is usually only thrown at people who get caught doing something else.

For instance, I used to carry a Kabar when hunting which is over the legal blade length limit in TX but I never got shit for it (even while wearing it in towns) because I don't start shit.
>>
>>32244374

They're doing the Caly 3 in hap40. You can also pick up a stretch in hap40 too. I suspect the caly 3 will be sold out quickly once it comes out.
>>
>>32244374
>>32244447

I'm fucking praying they do a Caly 3.5 in HAP40.
>>
>>32244494

Well, this is their 2017 catalogue so I don't think it'll come out anytime soon.

http://catalog.spyderco.com/productguide/
>>
File: saddle11-620x330.jpg (64KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
saddle11-620x330.jpg
64KB, 620x330px
Does anyone own a Benchmade Saddle Mountian Skinner? Local shop has one for $30 less than I can buu it from the factory. Ive got a couple folder Benchmades that I love and would love a good fixed blade.
>>
What do you guys think of the Spyderco Caged Ball Bearing Lock vs. the Benchmade AXIS lock?
>>
>>32244039
Dade county is notorious for shitty cops OP
>>
>>32244582

I'm happy to wait as long as necessary, I just don't want to settle for the Caly 3.
>>
File: rainbow pepe.png (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow pepe.png
49KB, 500x500px
>>32230846

This guy >>32231379 is dumb as fuck but you need to be more confident about these things. Stop asking a third and fourth person for opinions, if you want comfort/reassurance that you're correct then go to a like-minded friend. I'm sorry that your family is bullshit, but you should have seen this coming.

>mfw my family is liberal as fuck
>mfw my queermotastic dad still taught me how to knife shit and shoot things
>>
>>32244937
Spyderco all the way
>>
>>32244039
Can he get anything at a discount?
If so have him buy me some shit
>>
>>32245148
That doesn't really answer the question very well. I want details, which is better, why, how, etc.

Not a company question as much as a mechanism question.
>>
>>32244937
>>32245199
I don't have the ball bearing, but I do have a Benchmade, I like it pretty good but apparently it's got pretty spindly looking springs.
>>
>>32245199
Caged ball bearing lock is larger ( more traction for cold/wet/gloved hands)
The ball wears more evenly than a bar will
In my opinion easier to disassemble /reassemble
The spring holding the ball forward is much less likely to snap/bend tan the swan springs on an axis lock ( I've seen it happen )
Easier to operate only using one sided as opposed to pinching both sides of the lock

Also from my personal experience I can get the ball bearing lock still smooth/free swinging with the pivot tightened down and no blade play vs on axis locks they always tend to have slight side to side play with the pivot totally free swinging
Axis locks also tend to cost a bit more due to benchmade name tag

The only thing going for benchmade is the customer service ( in my opinion at least)
>>
>>32245199
>>32245428
If you guys want I can disassemble both and post pics of the difference in springs
>>
File: 156648.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
156648.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
Has anyone had experience buying/using Kiridashi?
Some places online (amazon+others) seem to put them crazy cheap which makes me doubt the quality, but there seems to be no midrange, the only other places i find selling them are ~master smiths forging your weeb steel for $300 minimum~ which is equally suspect. Should I just go for the stuff that looks the least obviously derelict?
>>
>>32245472
Sure thanks!
>>
>>32245745
>Some places online (amazon+others) seem to put them crazy cheap which makes me doubt the quality

Considering that they're inherently cheap utility knives I can't imagine why.
>>
>>32245826
I guess I'm just used to seeing flimsy dollar store/ gas station knives and assume it can't be any better. But then maybe i'm overestimating kiridashi too!
>>
>>32245859
Meh, they're about as simple as a knife can get so there's not much to go wrong. I'd say go for one of the $20 ones on Amazon, if it's garbage then at least you're only out $20.
>>
>>32245895
>they're about as simple as a knife can get so there's not much to go wrong
That's kind of what drew me to them in the first place so you're probably right. I tend to overthink shit like this, I'll give it a go.
>>
>>32245807
Give me a bit to disassemble and keep shit organized so I don't mix up shit
>>
File: 1481146759500-717706815.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
1481146759500-717706815.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>32245472
>>32245807
Alright
Spring time
On top is a benchmade mini grip
The small wire looking thing runnin from he liner to the axis lock bar is the spring
S spring, swan spring, omega spring whatever you want to call it
There are 2 of them (one on either liner)
But they are relatively thin and wimpy ,
And do occasionally break ( never happened to me but a friend had one break and I've read stories online

On the bottom is spyderco caged ball bearing lock
One signal spring in the middle to a polymer cage with (in this case ) a hardened steel ball bearing (some are ceramic )

Next post will contain some of my opinions on what makes each of them good / bad
>>
>>32245745
Bladeforums
>>
>>32246204
On the benchmade the dual spring design is a bit of a hindrance imho
Sometimes when reassembling they pop out of the liner on the side you already have the handle on and you have to restart
Also due to the dual ha for design you have to slide the blade , and 2 washers between both liners
Keep everything aligned and then try to slide the pivot up through all the parts
It can be a bit of a pain
It's not the end of the world but I certainly disassemble my benchmade significantly less than any of my other knives

On the spyderco the single spring design works in its favor since you can just layer the knife back together over the pivot as opposed to having to slide a blade between the liners on the benchmade

Only downside I can think of on the spyderco is the polymer cage may be a weak point , but there's not any stress on it other than operating the lock, the actual lockup is between the beefy blade tang, a hardened steel bar, then a beefy
hardened steel backspacer

As opposed to benchmade where it's the blade tang to the hardened steel bar , to the liners ( they aren't overly thick or thin )
I don't see strength being an issue in either of them
They operate similarly
(Feel is personal preference)
Are probably somewhat similarly strong ( either should be plenty good for EdC)

Only differences are ease of disassembly
And the fact benchmade springs are more prone to breakage due to design
>>
Anyone have any experience with the Kershaw Link 1776? I held it at a show and it was really nice but it was listed at $120, online it goes for about $40. Is it worth it? It felt great and all but that doesn't make it a good knife.
>>
>>32246204
Waiting patiently for the rest
>>
>>32246485
>Kershaw Link 1776
it's a decent knife. Not the best but not bad. Steel is okay for most people's purposes. $30 on Amazon. Means that cost price for the dealer is even less than that.

$120 hahahaha what a faggot
>>
>>32246595
See
>>32246451
If there's anything else you need to explain let me know
>>
>>32224386
Any opinions on this one?
http://www.buckknives.com/product/119-special-knife/0119FAM01/
>>
>>32246657
Thanks m8, any knowledge of the aluminum handled one vs the rubber? I think the metal one was heavier (obviously) and sleeker, but I do indeed love the big U.S.A on the rubber one.
>>
>>32224463
Regardless of what it is about, regardless of who you are and who is talking to you, whether it is family, boss, stranger, the president, etc.; when you are an adult, and another adult tries to give you a chastising lecture about ANYTHING, there are only 2 correct responses.

>Shut up
>Fuck you

If they're not going to talk to you like an adult, they don't deserve a response like an adult.
>>
>>32225225
can you not carry a non-locking knife like an Opinel or a SAK?

>does the Opinel ring actually count as a lock? I've never known
>>
>>32240831
>>32240984
>Not drawing a warm bath for yourself and bathing with your knives
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Another photo of my new edc

Literally perfect
>>
>>32247707
4chan pls stop cucking my photos :c
>>
File: collection.jpg (117KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
117KB, 640x480px
Rate collection
>>
>>32247496
WHY DOES ANYONE NEED AN ASSAULT LOCK ON A KNIFE?

Won't anyone think of the children?!?!
>>
>>32246485

This one has s35vn steel. Much better deal in my opinion.

http://www.houseofblades.com/products/kershaw-1776rdswhob-link-red-aluminum-handle-stonewash-s35vn-blade-assisted-open-pocket-knife-usa.html
>>
File: DSCF1330.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1330.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Various cutting implements in my daily rotation
>>
>>32246451
>you have to slide the blade , and 2 washers between both liners

I had my Nakamura apart last night and this is definitely the most annoying thing about AXIS. I find the easiest way to do it is to put the parts in one at a time and slide the pivot up as you add each, and use something from the other side to hold them in place if they want to slide out of line. Tweezers help a lot for getting the washers into place, too.

I find that once you get the hang of it, it only adds like an extra minute or two to the process, but it's a pain in the ass until then.
>>
>>32248177
What's that double-bladed shit third from the top?
>>
>>32248353
It's a CRKT, can't remember the model.

It's pretty nifty, the smaller blade fits into a recess in the larger blade so they both fold up flush.

I used to have a single-bladed version of it also but I dropped it off the pier one day.
>>
>>32248383
K.I.S.S Two-Timer. Says it on the backside of the blade now that I actually looked at it
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Best edc coming through
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
Hey, total newfag to knives.

I saw a few at my local Big 5 that got my attention.

I noticed a few HK ones that caught my fancy, what do you guys think? They were just the simple switchblade type.
>>
File: 71HLWRcFb3L._SL1500_.jpg (63KB, 1500x1142px) Image search: [Google]
71HLWRcFb3L._SL1500_.jpg
63KB, 1500x1142px
So a britbong friend of mine swears by Mora knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Heavy-Carbon-4-1-Inch/dp/B00EF2RX2C

Would you guys recommend?
>>
>>32248517
>>32248553
this is how shitty memes are made.

>guys i got a limited!!
>its the best limited everrr please let me even immagine to be espadafag :c
>>
>>32248606
im not the biggest fan of cold steel but i'm lying if i say they dont make some sexy shit,
its not the best ever, but FDE scales are just pleasing to the eye

stop being the no fun fag in a knife general thread you super nigger
>>
>>32248584

They're very good knives for general cutting tasks. You just can't baton your way through the side armor of a T-72 with one like you could with an ultra-tacticool custom M9001.
>>
>>32247894
Real Hitler's Youth knife and SS dagger, well-made reproductions, or chinkshit garbage?
>>
>>32248517
>>32248553

Clean your fucking rug you disgusting cunt. Jesus, that's disgusting.
>>
>>32248638
b-but i actually have good knives..
>>
>>32249087
>Had to go back and look at the pic
Fuck, are those pubes interwoven into his carpet?
>>
>>32249067
Both decent reproductions.
>>
>>32248583
HK knives are produced by Benchmade and are usually decent quality.
Benchmade also discontinued the HK brand back in October, so you might as well get some.
>>
File: zb4-t21.jpg (33KB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
zb4-t21.jpg
33KB, 960x520px
>>32248583
>>32250388
The HK knives at Big 5 aren't the nice ones made by Benchmade. They're rebranded Chinese cheapos, mostly SanRenMu. Benchmade is listed in fine print on the box, as the importer or license holder or something, but that's the only connection they have.

That said, since they're SRMs, they're actually somewhat OK knives for the money, especially if you get them on sale for like $10. I impulse bought one a few years back, and it was actually cheaper than the identical SRM shown here.

It's still definitely a cheapo knife, though, with thin blade stock and shitty finishing. I'd spend a few bucks more and at least get a Kershaw or Chinese Spyderco if I were actually planning on using it.
>>
>>32224463
I have a kershaw flip open I take with me everywhere I've had it for about a year know. I feel naked without it. I've had some people say why do you carry it blah blah idc fuck em. I have it becouse it's a pain to get a pistol but more to open shit cut food etc there's so many uses for a knife
>>
>>32250388
>>32250682
Thanks
>>
>>32248584

Love their knives, hate their sheaths. Fortunately, better sheaths can be bought separately on eBay.
>>
Buck or kabar?
Just bought a buck 119 and was really impressed with the knife and holster bought one for my dad for Christmas to
>>
File: ad_1481171375478.jpg (2MB, 1462x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ad_1481171375478.jpg
2MB, 1462x1600px
>>32225291
Damn straight
>>
>>32247894
That Ontario. Mmmmm
>>
thoughts on these?
>>
File: peasant_knife_4.jpg (92KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
peasant_knife_4.jpg
92KB, 960x960px
>>32224463
I think you have a problem of optics.
>>32225291
This guy is on to something, but to go into the reasoning: You carry a tacticool knife. That's like a "BLACK GUN" in liberal snowflake eyes. You want a fudd knife.

Consider carrying a Victorinox, Opinel, or peasant knife. Even a classic buck knife would probably be better optics than your tech knife.

Me? I don't have that problem since I live in Texas. I carry a Mora in my boot.
>>
>>32232014
g10 version with DLC coated blade. no... the lock is golden. DLC coating is great too. for the price at bladehq it's a steal.
>>
>>32251854
They're good for punching, they can slash though it feels weird, and they're illegal in lots of places.
>>
>>32244039
>https://www.municode.com/library/fl/miami_-_dade_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIIICOOR_CH21OFMIPR_ARTIIIWE

Wtf is this? News to me. I've lived in shitty dade county my whole life and had an otf for half of it. I've purchased an Ultratech from an LGS where every employee there EDC's one too. Strange. I'd say fuck it carry whatever knife you want I've never had any problems
>>
File: Double katar.jpg (373KB, 1122x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Double katar.jpg
373KB, 1122x1920px
>>32251854
They're pretty much a novelty. Weapons like that have been developed all over the place but they've never really caught on because not being able to use your wrist is kind of a big deal in a fight.
>>
File: Dumonthier Dagger with pistol 1.jpg (26KB, 800x417px) Image search: [Google]
Dumonthier Dagger with pistol 1.jpg
26KB, 800x417px
>>
File: 20161208_101517.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_101517.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
Just picked up my third Benchmade. Pretty excited
>>
File: spoopyaes.gif (58KB, 752x752px) Image search: [Google]
spoopyaes.gif
58KB, 752x752px
>>32252195
I have an Opinel, but I'm less inclined to carry it as an EDC due to it having wood and being dent-able as well as not having a pocket clip, and it's just not very heavy duty anyway.

I'm guessing a Manix wouldn't be very non-tacticool either. Any other suggestions?
>>
File: Ontario RAT1.jpg (473KB, 1024x921px) Image search: [Google]
Ontario RAT1.jpg
473KB, 1024x921px
>>32255877
Ontario's RAT folders are a decent option and they come in plenty of colors.
>>
>>32255833
>Benchmade
>Fixed blade
>s30v
>3.5mm thick
>skinner

Literally why?
>>
>>32255833
why is your thumb so small?
>>
>>32249087
>>32249130
>yfw its his stomach D:
>>
>>32256048
And that doesn't look tacticool to you?
>>
>>32225291

So now every one things you're a fag...nah man, I'm good.
>>
>>32257023
No.

There's nothing extravagant or extraneous, it's just a simple folding knife.
>>
>>32257208
So what's tacticool about a griptilian? The grippy studs and jimping?
>>
>>32256746
>Fixed blade
>not long as fuck
>light

If I wanted a massive fixed blade I'd just use my Ka-bar I was given.
>>
>>32257494
>So what's tacticool about a griptilian?

Nothing.

I'm not the guy who called the Griptilian tacticool.
>>
>>32257694
So what's an example of something YOU consider tacticool and why?
>>
thoughts on bark river, thinking of getting the mini bush seax (pic) in bocote wood handle
>>
File: Dark Ops Interceptor.jpg (64KB, 880x200px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Ops Interceptor.jpg
64KB, 880x200px
>>32257773
Pic related, whole lotta BS that doesn't serve much purpose.

>>32257800
I'm not a fan. If you get a nice one then it's a damn nice knife but based on what I've seen here and on BF they churn out way too many lemons for the prices they ask.

I did get a chance to try out one of their Hudson Bay knives a few years ago in one of those BF pass-around things and it was fucking amazing.
>>
>>32257845
That's a disgusting knife. I mean it has a belt cutter, glass breaker, and shit, but god damn is that fucking ugly.
>>
>>32257845
cringe incarnate
>>
File: DSCN0833.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0833.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
got a bradley alias 1 in the other day, forgot how nice these are. I miss this company
>>
Anyone else ever show your friends your new knife and cut your own finger while on acid?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Bailsongs fun to play with, but shit EDC blades
>>
>>32259012
just the first part.
>>
File: IMG_3163.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3163.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Bored, taking a break from finals prep, shitposting my bitchmades and friends.
>>
File: IMG_3841.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3841.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Any waterstone fags around?
>>
>>32259012

Did the same thing with my dick.
>>
File: IMG_3754.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3754.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>32259747
Wait, cut your dick while showing them your knife or cut your finger while showing them your dick?
>>
>>32259012
No but the day after I got my new sharpening system I sliced my middle finger get to the bone and started bleeding everywhere on my morning break when cutting an apple
Right as my female coworker and qt female volunteer were walking over to chill with me
They didn't notice I had my hand wrapped in a increasingly bloody paper towel for a whole 45 min until they walked away and I had time to wrap it up more properly
>>
>>32259776
>not suturing it with dental floss to show them your manliness.
>>
>>32259782
I didn't want either of them to panic since there was significant blood
But my co worker did end up seeing me wrapping it later in the day and asked what happened
Did end up explaining it to her
I don't think the volunteer found out though

Btw talking about banging in the woods is a good way to get your mind off the fact your middle finger is fucked up
>>
>>32259811
hahhahhaa, seams like a nice place to work. But I still like my dental floss suture idea I can picture it in my head.

"KEEP PREASURE ON THE WOUND WHILE I PREPARE THE SUTURES!"
"what!?"
"REMAIN CALM I HAVE A FEW MORE MINUTES BEFORE I BLEED OUT!"
>>
>>32259768
what, you don't show your friends your new dick then cut your own knife while on dick?
>>
>>32259833
Great place to work
I actually ended up having a different coworker help me wrap it the first time
Would have asked him to help me suture Jr but I decided it didn't need it even though it should ha e

Cut went from about the first knuckle on my left middle finger down almost all the way to the webbing between middle and ring fingers

Though it healed incredibly well for no sutures and just super glue
>>
>>32259747
So you cut your finger while showing your friends your new knife while on dick?
>>
>>32259914
Not him but the other anon

I cut my finger with my knife before almost showing some grills my dick
>>
File: IMG_3843.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3843.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32259968
Charcoal or propane?
>>
>>32259984
One blonde one brunette
>>
>>32244447
>>32244494
>>32244582
Any idea on when the caly and stretch come out?
>>
>>32251055
>he likes Benchmade using spyderco trademark
>>
>>32260159

Stretch has been out for a while. One complaint with the original stretch is the finger choil is pretty flat so it doesn't feel that great when choking, but they seem to have fixed that on the stretch 2. I decided to go with zdp-189 rather than the hap40.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Stretch-Burnt-Orange-C90FBORE/dp/B01AQOR4D0
>>
>>32254625
But that's wrong. Push daggers were popular in the 1800s as a self defense item both amongst normal civilians and politicians. They fell out of favor towards the 1900s, but had a brief resurgence in popularity in World War 1.

Katars were also popular in India for a long time.
>>
File: mallninja_undercover-knife.jpg (36KB, 743x531px) Image search: [Google]
mallninja_undercover-knife.jpg
36KB, 743x531px
How much did I mess up? Just bought this for 25 bucks at a spencers-type place, should I return it and get something different? I got it specifically cause I wanted some fixed blade mallninja shit. I was also buying a folding knife for my little brother for Xmas because his old one broke and he's too autistic to send in the free lifetime warranty because he can't stand being without a knife for 2 weeks so i figured I'd buy him a CRKT folder (also for 25) then he would have no excuse to not send the thing in to get it fixed, and end up with two knives. But while I was there I decided to do an impulse buy. I like the knife but my biggest complaints are that it's too small for my hands without sticking my pinky through the loop, and that the little tab locking it in the sheath is fucking annoying because it means I can't pull it out. I don't understand why it even needs to exist, unless I'm going cartwheels with it, which will never happen because life isn't the fucking Matrix. Should I cut off the tab-thingy so I can draw it freely? Or should I just return it? I didn't see many fixed-blades for cheaper (am poorfag).

Please save your typing and don't bother commenting on me being a pleb for buying such cheap shit, trust me I know.

>>32224463
Did the seminar forbid you to carry knives? If so then you were in the wrong. If not, your family needs to shut the fuck up, and you need to tell them that. I can understand people being scared of people CC/OCing guns (I think it's stupid but I can understand their feelings) but being scared of something that everyone has 20 of in their kitchen is just full-on retarded.
>>
>>32240112
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>32260472
Making his own knives? as indicated by the post he replied to?

Unless you're shitting out usable knives every few hours or make a shit wage, then you're probably not too much better off makin yer own knives, especially if you're not planning going for anything particularly fancy/exotic.
>>
>>32260391
>serrated shit from a no-name brand
You could do better than that, anon. If you're willing to spend the money for a slightly more expensive black tacticool fixed blade, maybe you should check out the Gerber Ghostrike for about $40.
Gerber is pretty bad, but at least it still has a name for itself, and the Ghostrike is made in the US, so it can't be that bad.
>>
>>32260339
is there any good way to tell when they'll stop making it?
>>
>>32258741
Those Bradleys were nice. I think their DNA kind of lives on in the Benchmade 761, at least.

Pic related is something I'd love to have, a 761 customized by Will Moon. Dude does gorgeous work and actually improves function as well as aesthetics, too. (He carbidizes the lockface and remounts the clip for tip up, among other things.)
>>
File: 20140204_010559.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140204_010559.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32260472
This is the point I was trying to make, Thanks. Here's a piece of shit made of an old file, with only an old file as a cutting tool. Kingwood scales.
>>
What knives have the most fondle factor?
>>
>>32259534

Always. What's up?
>>
>>32260685
They announce what models they plan on discontinuing every year on their forum. Also retailers will generally run a sale on the discontinued knives at the same time to drum up some sales.
>>
>>32261000
Bali songs if you're good
Otf knives
Good flippers
Any snappy automatic
Axis/ball bearing lock
>>
>>32261000
>>32261123

Bronze washer compression locks as well. My PM2s are fun as hell to play with.
>>
>>32260685

Well it's a sprint run, so it's already limited to one run. I just didn't personally like the burnt orange and went with green, it does look nice though. If I had money to spare I'd probably buy the hap40.
>>
>>32261123
Snappy?
>>
>>32261111
check'd, and it sounds like i should wait for that.
>>
>>32260619
Can you hook your finger through the back gap in the handle to quick-draw it? That was what I was going for with this one. I can do it but the stupid blade lock gets in the way. And I have to loop my pinky through the knife's loop to hold it after that.
>>
>>32244307

>possession
>subject to forfeiture

There's your answer. Planning anything that will make you the target of a raid? No? Then leave them in the safe and you'll be fine. If you're that worried about it, leave them with a trusted friend or relative outside the county. You could also try temporarily disabling them by opening them up and removing the automatic mechanism. I really don't recommend that unless you are confident enough in you tinkering skills not to break them and possibly void the warranty.
>>
File: bench.jpg (535KB, 1836x2448px) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
535KB, 1836x2448px
This is my collection. I carry the orange RSK everyday.
>>
>>32244307
Jeez, even California isn't that bad.

The way that law is worded, I think an asshole cop or judge could probably fuck you over for an assisted knife, a flipper, or hell, maybe even an axis lock Benchmade.
>>
>>32261856
If your only requirement is that it has a finger hole, you could get a CRKT Bear Claw.

Available for around $25-30 and CRKT is one of the better cheap manufacturers.

>>32262034
>Jeez, even California isn't that bad.
California actually has fairly decent knife laws.
>>
>>32262012
Woah, I didn't realize the RSK came in M390. I was iffy about it in S30V but I'll definitely have to pick one of those M390s up at some point.
>>
>>32262088
Yeah man this is my favorite knife.
>>
File: bitchmade555.jpg (277KB, 1077x807px) Image search: [Google]
bitchmade555.jpg
277KB, 1077x807px
>>32251055

Love this little lady.
>>
>>32226594
How do you carry it?
>>
>>32225225
ok holy shit I saw the thumbnail and thought it was a rockstead with cracks in it I was going to flip out with so many questions
>>
>>32262012
Where can I get an RSK?
>>
>>32262277
I bought mine from doug ritters website. Google it. The website looks like it's from 2002. Seriously my favorite knife.
>>
>>32262277
http://www.knifeworks.com/DougRitterknivesandgear.aspx
>>
>>32262012
>>32262277
>>32262597
>>32262670

Can you lads tell me more about the RSK and this Ritter guy and why it's apparently more appealing than the standard grip/ mini grip?
>>
>>32262756
Doug Ritter is a survival expert and also the guy who founded KnifeRights.

Look at his 2002 looking website mentioned by >>32262597 and you'll see his thought process on his designs and why he does certain things.

http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm
>>
>>32262756
Just read this website as the anon above said to. I bought the knife and absolutely loved it. Bought my dad one too in black.
>>
File: DSCN0829.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0829.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>32260693

me too, specially the blade profile. Bradley does it just as well as the 761 for $100 or more less though.

and BM does a killer heat treat on s30v. you can tell from the edge it takes, its just spectacular.

id love to have that 761 also
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.