[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dropping a bullet in chamber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
So I'm new to guns and I have a G19 and an M&P Shield.

I've been dropping a round in the chamber, slamming the slide down on the round and then inserting a mag to get the +1. I never knew it fucked the extractor.

How fucked am I? How do I know if I fucked my guns up?

Bonus round: I've been pinballing my slides on empty chambers too, does that fuck my guns up?
>>
File: IMG_1120.jpg (233KB, 500x541px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1120.jpg
233KB, 500x541px
>>
while you're lessening the life on the extractor before replacement it's not going to kill the gun
>>
Throw your guns in the river anon.
>>
nigger you are so fucked. give your guns to daquan hanging out by the liquor store.
>>
File: boom.jpg (76KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
boom.jpg
76KB, 720x400px
>I have a G19
>How fucked am I?
Extremely. That thing is a ticking time bomb.
>>
>>32216995
>I never knew it fucked the extractor.
It really doesn't. The stress is so minimal that it won't make any difference in a million years.

And if it makes you feel any better, swapping out an extractor is like a 30 second job.
>>
>>32217018
How do I make sure my extractor won't broke when I need to use my gun for something important?

I promise I'll never do it again :(
>>
I've only done it like 20 times each to them.

So is it ok to drop the slide on an empty chamber too?

I'm really ocd
>>
This is some of the stupidest shit I have read on /k/ in a while

Your gun is fine, buy a couple spare extractors if you are so worried.

>How do I make sure my extractor won't broke when I need to use my gun for something important?

Stop doing what you have been doing, your extractor is in all likelihood perfectly fine, if it's scaring you so much buy another one for <$20 and never release slides on full chambers again

Just rack it in from the mag then load another in the mag.
>>
The idea why barrel loading Glocks is bad is because the extractor has to go over the round to pick it up rather than rounds being slipped in by the mag. Glock extractors are bretty strong tho

Closing the slide on an empty chamber is generally not good practice but it is probably fine on Glocks. It is pretty bad to do to 1911's though
>>
>>32217043
Don't ever use your gun from now on. That way it will be as new as possible for when you need to use it for something important.
>>
>>32217138
Thanks. Really made me think
>>
>>32216995
if it was a 1911 it would have probably shattered the extractor immediately but its a glock so you are fine.
>>
>+1 fag
>+1 fag with a plastic gun with no safety
>>
This thread is full of stupid.
>>
>>32216995
it isn't very harmful to your extractor as long as the metal your casings are made out of is softer than the metal your extractor is made out of.

This is generally why steel cased ammo is avoided, though the steel used there is still should be softer than the steel used in your extractor.
>>
This is reminding me that I racked the slide on my VEPR at my FFL 9 days ago and never pulled the trigger. RIP hammer spring. Thanks OP. Just one more day...
>>
>>32217531
That's not how springs work.
>>
>>32217560
It's more like a feeling of neglect than actual worry over the spring. I can't forgive myself.
>>
File: 1480884178882.gif (870KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1480884178882.gif
870KB, 245x245px
>I'm really ocd
>slamming the slide down on the round
>How do I know if I fucked my guns up?
>G19
inb4 Lipsey
I keep pin-balling my sides.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 539x960px
>>32217298
came to post this holy fuck why did it take this long.

OP your fucking extractor is fine stop reading on gunfudds.net

Brass is softer than gun metal.
even steel case is softer. Its all fucking fine. The only shit to worry about with steel case is the cheapo coating of the projectile potentially wearing your bitch ass barrel. Even then---

Stop babbying your guns you dipshits and SHOOT them.
>>
>>32217805
Is lacquer safer than polymer?
>>
>>32217826
idk havent looked into it.
>>
>>32217043
Just order a new extractor. They are like 20 dollary doos and it literally takes two minutes to change them out on a glock.
>>
>>32217018
>while you're lessening the life on the extractor before replacement it's not going to kill the gun

You know that's the same way the extractor functions when the gun cycles?
>>
>>32217868
The rim of the case slips in behind the extractor from below when it feeds normally. When you drop the slide on a full chamber, the extractor has to bump over the rim in order to seat itself. Not that it matters one bit either way.
>>
>>32217280
>
lol, this. My glock and CZ don't care that I abused them in that way, my 1911 shattered the extractor first time I tried that.
>>
Just rack a round in from the magazine then top off the magazine.
>>
>>32217940
Or if he is too autistic for that, he can also drop the round in the chamber, put the mag in almost all the way in so the round can't fall out the bottom, bring the slide forward halfway, tilt the gun back allowing the case to slip back against the extractor, draw the slide back until the rim slips just under the exctractor, release the slide, and seat the mag fully.

It's a lot faster than it sounds written out. I used to do it because it was annoying squeezing the final round into the mag, and back before I realized fudds are retarded and extractors aren't made of glass. Now I just drop my slide on a loaded chamber like a normal person.
>>
>>32216995
OP you're fucked. Your firearms are only intended to function in one very specific way, any deviation from this process in even the slightest will cause your gun to crumble to dust in your hands.

For example, I once dry fired my handgun and I had to take apart and clean the entire thing and buy a new firing pin because the old one had crumbled to pieces and was clogging up the entire gun.
>>
>>32217136
Why bad for 1911s?
>>
>>32218341
Not a lot of spare room to make the jump..I'm assuming.
>I'd like to know the actual reasoning tho.
>>
>>32218599
>>32218341

because the standard internal extractor is a tensioned leaf spring and you can chip the extractor or bend it out of spec if you drop a round in vs the spring-loaded pivot of most modern external extractors.
>>
>>32217868
No it's not, you retard.

Like >>32217868 said. How the fuck do you think the round gets into the chamber? Fucking levitation?
>>
>>32219049
Meant to quote >>32217887 for the correct reasoning.
>>
>>32217043
Replace the extractor with a brand new one and next time ease the slide gently into the locking position instead of dropping it.
>>
Why not just put a mag in
Rack it
Then put another round in the mag?
>>
>>32217868
Bullshit alert! Retard in the thread!
>>
>>32217973
Or just put one round in another empty mag, load it, and change to your full mag.
>>
>>32216995
you're fucking dumb, but you aren't really messing up the weapon that badly.
>>
>>32216995
I think you, and everyone in this thread, need an issued permit after extensive testing, to be allowed on the World Wide Web.
>>
>>32216995
Why the fuck would you do this? DIDN'T YOU READ YOUR FUCKING MANUAL?
>>
File: RICK.png (161KB, 1280x1416px) Image search: [Google]
RICK.png
161KB, 1280x1416px
>>32217041
Nothing any of us ever do at any time in our lives will have made any difference in a million years.
>>
File: 463.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
463.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>32217560
>he probably leaves his mags loaded, putting excess stress on the springs
Enjoy those mags not even feeding ammo when SHTF
>>
>>32216995
I do that all the time, but instead of letting the slide slam home with force, I ease it in and just press on the loaded round indicator to nicely raise the extractor claw over the rim of the cartridge. That way I don't have to fuck with the mags, and also don't ruin my extractor.
>>
>>32219406
No I didnt. I thought it was the same as loading one from the mag
>>
So as long as the extractor didn't break I'm good?
>>
Lol you retards telling him he'll be fine as long as he rides the slide. Enjoy your slide not going fully into battery.
>>
>>32219665
But if I slam the back of it into battery with my hand it's good
>>
>>32219587
Joke's on you, I'm a leaf so my mags are limited to 5 rounds.
>>
Why don't you just chamber a round from the mag and then drop mag and load the +1?
>>
>>32220183
If you're gonna do this, you load one in the mag, then chamber it, then reload the mag.

That way you aren't fucking up your nice sexy fingernails wrastling that umpteenth round into an umpteen round mag.
>>
File: 1479455295171.jpg (42KB, 398x437px) Image search: [Google]
1479455295171.jpg
42KB, 398x437px
>>32217805
POOOLEESE THAT MOOSTACHE
>>
>>32217040
That meme only applies to Glocks in .40 S&W, dumbass
>>
>>32216995
I've been doing this for years. Nothing has ever happened to any extractors. I've never even heard of this bs.
>>
>>32218621
This. External extractors can pivot outwards. Internal extractors don't.
>>
>>32217041
You treat everything you own like shit don't you? Slam the doors on your cars, and house. Drop things on the ground when you are done with them. Dry fire other people's guns. Leave your tools outside. Probably a big piece of shit, and you won't even admit it, least of all to yourself.
>>
External extractors are spring loaded for this very reason. Rigid extractors get fucked by this behavior.
>>
>>32221175
Is this pasta?
>>
>>32216995
That's the most retarded way to get +1
>>
>>32217043
>put one cartridge in non-carry mag
>insert and rack slide
>replace mag with loaded carry mag
>>
>>32219587
Hmm, that isn't how spring steel works. You should know that spring steel is weakened by work, not stress, unless you stress the steel past its tensile strength.
Did you ever play with a slinkee?

Here, I'll put it into simpleton terms: your car has a suspension. Many suspension systems are coiled springs with shock absorbers. Those springs are constantly under load. They wear out after thousands of miles of use, bouncing up and down over and over(like your mom at the truck stop), not just sitting in the garage.

So, the lesson you should now be able to perceive is that the mag springs do not "weaken" from staying loaded. The only problem I'm aware of is some magazines can suffer from spread feed lips from being fully loaded for long periods of time. The simple fix is to subtract 2 rounds. No more problems. A glock mag will not have problems from long term storage, loaded.
>>
>>32223226
Not to mention that there are virtually no modern mags (from reputable manufacturers, not some no-name Chinese factory) whose feed lips will deform under long-term pressure.
>>
File: Glock cutaway7.jpg (31KB, 554x401px) Image search: [Google]
Glock cutaway7.jpg
31KB, 554x401px
>>32216995
Order a new GLOCK OEM G19 extractor, Find a Glock Armorer, fixed in like 20 seconds. Don't do it again
>>
>>32217051
You generally want to avoid dropping the slide on an empty chamber and dropping the slide on a round in the chamber, aka shot gunning a round. The way the gun is meant to work, the slide pushes the round out from the magazine, and the case rim slips up under the extractor. When you drop the slide on a round in the chamber, the first thing that hits is the extractor, right on the case rim. The extractor isn't meant to endure that slamming.

Most modern guns are going to be fine even if you do this. It's really not a big deal. But if you know not to do it, then it's best to avoid it just as a good habit.
>>
>>32218341
Because you can fuck up the sear engagement and get hammer follow
>>
>>32220899
YUS ER CRYIN' LYK A BUNCHA BUTT FUKT VASSER BEETHCES
>>
File: 1450039276626.png (818KB, 865x859px) Image search: [Google]
1450039276626.png
818KB, 865x859px
>>32223226
>>32223973
>you must be new here at /k/
>>
File: what am I reading.png (98KB, 228x239px) Image search: [Google]
what am I reading.png
98KB, 228x239px
>>32216995
I don't understand why people get so retarded about guns. Is it lack of education around gun in general, or do people get paranoid since they cost more than other hobbies?
>>
>>32227244
It's because they're sometimes used as a last line of defense to protect their lives so they want them to have as few failures as possible
>>
>>32216995
Is extractor broke?

If yes
>buy new extractor
If no
>pretend this never happened
>>
To all these fags saying it doesn't hurt the extractor to drop it over the case.

You're wrong; it probably won't hurt.

On old guns and internal extractor 1911's it can be very risky. New guns like the Glock are designed to be more idiot proof and you can probably get away with it 99.9% of the time. That doesn't mean you should.
>>
>>32227714
>That doesn't mean you should.
Yes it does, because unles you have some fragile relic or a poorly-designed 1911, you will be just fine.
>>
Please sell your firearms or get them as far away from yourself as possible this thread screams amature shooter , get a taurus go to the range learn some shit for real instead of hersay or youtube videos , OP you need to get some gun education cause you are definitely not a safe firearm handler hahaha
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.