[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lee–Enfield (no1 mk3) or (no4 mk1) what is the better rifle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: no1 mk3.jpg (20KB, 740x233px) Image search: [Google]
no1 mk3.jpg
20KB, 740x233px
Lee–Enfield (no1 mk3) or (no4 mk1) what is the better rifle?
>>
>>32216487
No.4 Mark 1
>>
>>32216487
No4. Better sights, easier to make, better looking.
>>
>>32216487
No1Mk3. Totally not because I bought two of them earlier today.
>>
>>32216487
No. 1 Mk V
>>
>>32216516

>better looking

If you lack taste, maybe
>>
>>32216533

Terrible kids like #4 better only because they dont have a #1 mkiii. maximum salt
>>
>>32216533
Listen chief, I like fat girls as much as the next guy, but fat pug faced girls? Na, that's not shit taste on my part.
>>
>>32216559
No 1 looks like shit.
It has none of the sleekness of the No4 series and none of the grace of the MLEs.
>>
>>32216567
>but fat pug faced girls? Na, that's not shit taste on my part.
But you like fat and short French girls with over bites
>>
>>32216586
I only like those 1st three things.
>>
>>32216593
You and I both know you like all three of those you silly fuck
>>
The No4 is better in every way, vastly better in some.
>>
No 4 Mk2 is the pinnacle of lee enfield evolution. It's the postwar perfection with finest material and craftsmanship
>>
>>32216487
No.1 Mk.1
>>
File: Family Photo.jpg (274KB, 1000x643px) Image search: [Google]
Family Photo.jpg
274KB, 1000x643px
>>32216487
I've owned both, so let me chime in just a bit.

Pros:
No.4 has a slightly heavier barrel
It has much better sights (the WWII war-time simple sights are kind of trash though)
It's easier to remove the bolt

Some cons are:
no knife-type bayonets.
and that's it.
>>
File: Itgpns0.jpg (920KB, 2822x2117px) Image search: [Google]
Itgpns0.jpg
920KB, 2822x2117px
>>32216610
>Fat
Yup
>Short
Indeed
>French
But of course
>Overbite
Na, I'm good chief.

Also, while I love the Mas, I'm not going to say it's the most aesthetic rifle.
>>
>>32216703
Several knife bayos were made that fit the No4
>>
>>32216708
Always thought about getting a mas. Are they worth it> how's the action/precision?
>>
>>32216748

MAS-36 isn't a bad rifle at all. Sights kind of suck though. 7.5 French is very easy to get nowadays.
>>
>>32216736
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
I meant a bayo that can double as a knife. There was one variant that was convertible between knife and bayo, but only saw limited production.
>>
>>32216487
No.4 Mk.I
>Thicker barrel for improved accuracy
>Free-floating barrel for improved accuracy
>Long radius aperture sights instead of short radius notch-and-post sights for improved precision
>Cheaper to produce
>Only marginally heavier (worth it due to thicker barrel in my opinion)

Mk.III*
>Slightly lighter
>Uses P07 shortsword bayonet which does not contact the barrel instead of a socket-style bayonet that contacts the barrel
>Obviously a shortsword bayonet would be handier than a socket bayonet due to having a handle
>Arguably better looking >>32216516 no offense, but I do think the Mk.III* has more of a classic look but the No.4 most CERTAINLY is FAR from being anywhere in the vicinity of ugly

There's really not many advantages that the Mk.III* has over the No.4. I find my WWI era Mk.III* to have a slightly smoother bolt than my WWII/Korean era No.4, but it's not all that much, and might simply reflect that the Mk.III* seen more use than the No.4 or something. Hey, a sporterized No.4 could still use a bayonet while a sporterized Mk.III* can't, but people don't put much value in bayonets anymore so meh. The No.4 is my favourite, but I still think the Mk.III* is the 2nd-greatest standard-issue bolt action ever created, and I don't blame the Indians for using it for so long while most of Nato were going along with battle rifle variants.
>>
>>32216748
In my opinion it's the best bolt action infantry rifle ever made. Only faults are the lack of a safety, and you can't adjust the sights for windage.
>>
File: Lee.jpg (116KB, 660x880px) Image search: [Google]
Lee.jpg
116KB, 660x880px
>>32216487
>which is better
Who fucking cares. I own both, Personally I like the No. 1 MkIII better then the No. 4s. I do prefer the sights of the No. 4 however. Want to get a No. 1 MkV so I can have basically the best of both worlds. also trying to get a sporterized rifle for a project I want to do for a Lee I will never be able to get my hands on
>>
>>32216782
>I meant a bayo that can double as a knife.
Let's be honest the 1907 pattern is far to big, heavy and unwieldy to double as anything. It's a short sword and it's not even a very good one because it's actually a bayonet. Furthermore I have never sharpened mine but I would be willing to bet the steel, heat treatment and hardening is inferior to what would make a good knife

It might have been good for reach and for fighting in open no-man's-land but that's about it, the smaller 'pigsticker' was virtually as effective but at a fraction of the weight and size, there were many successful bayonet charges in the Second World War using No4 rifles and that bayonet.

While it's cool I wouldn't consider the 1907 as anything more than a hindrance if I was issued one.
>>
>>32216822
>>Free-floating barrel for improved accuracy
No, it's pressure bedded at two points so although the majority of the barrel is floated it can't in fact claim to be free floating. The way the No4 was bedded in the action is. in principal, the same as the No1; but the barrel is different. The No1 has complicated full barrel pressure bedding including a spring loaded plunger to provide upwards pressure and ensure there's no contact with the nose case. It's archaic and over complicated.

The No4 barrel bedding was much simplified and therefore easier to produce and it was a more reliable method of bedding in bad conditions, like damp and humidity.

In terms of accuracy potential the bedding changes, along with the stiffer action and heavier barrel, did make it more mechanically precise and consistent.
>>
>>32216782

No.7 Mk 1 was the convertible knife/bayo. The end of the grip swivels 180 degrees when attaching to the rifle.

Also in my collection are a No.4 Mk1 - cruciform spike, No.4 Mk2 - round spike, No. 4 Mk3 - round spike w/ cast hilt (the "fuck it, it's cheap to make" bayo), and a No. 9 which is a knife blade on a machined hilt.
>>
>>32216822
I stopped reading when you said free floated barrel
>>
>>32216748
Rifle is fine, but its sights could be better and the trigger is downright terrible.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.