[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is .223 a viable round for hunting game like wild hogs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: hk style saiga.jpg (30KB, 356x177px) Image search: [Google]
hk style saiga.jpg
30KB, 356x177px
Is .223 a viable round for hunting game like wild hogs?
>>
>>32213216
yes.
>>
>>32213261
What ammo would you recommend for hog busting?

I'm in California. Hogs are a big problem here. Even KCAL news advocated hunting hogs recently because they're attacking people walking on trails for encroaching on their territory so I might gather up a few buddies that hunt every year after I get my hunting license.
>>
>>32213304
TNT/varmint grenade type.

It's gonna hard on em when they have a grapefruit sized hole exploding from them.
>>
>>32214025
I don't think I would recommend varmint grenade type ammo, considering how tough hog skin is.

The heaviest softpoint/open tip bullet you can find might do a better job. That said, I've got zero fucking experience hunting hogs
>>
>>32214055
Cool. I have shot plenty of these types of bullets but no hog yet my self. I just trust them. If you hit one in the breast area I just can't comprehend how one would live for very long.
>>
>>32214089
Nailed a 90kg boar on the weekend using reloads with 60grn VMAX projectiles, the piggu didnt go far :3
>>
File: 1480068004963.jpg (104KB, 802x556px) Image search: [Google]
1480068004963.jpg
104KB, 802x556px
>>32214105
Nice. Lol.
>>
>>32214089
The big worry would be adequate penetration, but even then that probably only applies to Fuckhuge monster hogs that you won't see much of.

>>32214105
Neat
>>
>>32214137
I only shot coons and opossums. I know it might sound nuts but opossums are zombies that require maximum violence.
>>
>>32214137
Its all about shot placement, either you hit it in the right spot and it runs a few metres before dropping dead, or you fuck up and it keeps running.
>>
>>32213304
M855 is great for hog.
>>
>>32213216
NO!
my cousins have a ranch with Hogs and deer ex.
they used to use .223 until a large mother Hog or whatever didn't fucking go down after shooting it over and over.
they fractured its skull and was still running around
the kill shot was from a Mannlicher M1895

so litle baby hogs .223 is fine
big ass mother hogs, no
>>
>>32217157
>my friends couldn't shoot for shit
>>
>>32217287
>Hurr retard no guns can't do noskull headshots

>>>/airsoft/ is that way child
>>
>>32217287
ummm, my cousin is part of the houston SwaT team dumb ass.
I LITERALLY TOLD YOU they got several head shots in, but that hog kept on coming.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhrm7jnyis
>>
>>32217428
my uncle is chris kyle and he did the same thing
>>
Viable yes, optimal no
>>
>>32213216
Depends on shot placement and size of the big. A .223 won't bring down a bigger hog. Hogs have pretty tough skin up by their shoulders that can be hard to penetrate with a .233 from distance. When in doubt go to a bigger caliber.
>>
It is possible if you know very well what you're doing and do just that (or the hog isn't too big), but if you haven't done much hunting before, you might want to consider .308 or .30-06, or at the very least a 6.5x55 (or whatever you have in the States), or shotgun slugs.

If it's anything to you, it's not legal to hunt hogs with anything smaller than 6.5x55 in my nonfree country.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.