[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hypothetical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1454143030509.jpg (1MB, 1554x1662px) Image search: [Google]
1454143030509.jpg
1MB, 1554x1662px
Let's say an unearthly gateway opened up in the middle of Paris, something approximately 60 feet wide and 40 feet tall, which provided a link to a Paris of a different timeline - specifically, the start of 1918.

A ceasefire is called, and the powers of Europe decide to unite and launch an attack through this gate with the intention of conquering the land on the other side.

Would they stand a chance against whatever forces modern-day France would be able to gather inside of a three days, or would the armies of old get their shit pushed in?

Yes, I'm aware of the GATE anime, but this alternate history shit has always fascinated me.
>>
>>32205971
>Weird jagged coastline. Who designed this, an alien?

Hey, Slartibartfast won an award for his work on the fjords!
>>
They would get their shit pushed in.
The only adavatages they would have would be gas and manpower.
The size of the gat e limits the amount of either that can get through while modern soldiers are better trained, have better firepower and organizatrion, and have much more extensive training with gases.
Add in that Paris was laid out so the armee could easily swoop in and put down insurrections and the invaders would probably not even last a day.
>>
>>32206072
Fair points, the size of the gate is a huge limiting factor.

On the flipside, I think a European Alliance would be able to organize enough forces to fend off a counter-attack. Surely there'd be artillery and field guns from 1918 that could do some damage to a modern MBT?
>>
>>32206248

The most plentiful gun that could be described for such a role would be the 75, which as you know has been memed as being completely ineffective against tanks of the 40s; there are major doubts that the 75mm field cannon of the time with its low velocity could even punch a hole through a Leclerc's armor from the back, at point blank range, and the Leclerc is on the lighter end of the protection scale.

Of course, even if by some miracle Old!France had the ground situation under control by transforming their various impractically large caliber shells into IEDs and has the foresight to convert their end of the gate into a minefield, it would be bombed to rubble as its air force might as well be non-existent in the face of modern air power.
>>
>>32206351
There were plenty of guns like the 15cm sFH 13 that you could have pointed at the gate entrance, and along with a couple of Big Berthas set up to fire on the entrance, I don't think we'd have any armor that could effectively penetrate an artillery bar
>>
>>32206059
Underrated post.
>>
>>32205971
Single modern soldier has (if not more) of 1918 squad. Plus 1918s litteraly can't do anything to armor and planes.
>>
>>32206646
What keeps the other side from doing the same with heat seeking missiles.
Also it would be important how the trajectory of the grenades through the portal works.
>>
>>32205971
>different timeline
So what you're saying is, nothing that happens in 1918 France will impact our world is if it happened in our past?
>>
>>32207073
They'd retain momentum from one side to the other, assuming a passage of, say, 100 ft from entrance to exit.

As for both sides adopting defensive measures - that kind of stalemate might result in an arms race that really pushes 1918's technology forwards, probably ending in one side managing to throw a nuke in to the other's defenses.

France and her allies would be hesitant on using the nuclear option, of course, because any explosive force that comes back through the gate would wreak havoc on Paris.

>>32207099
That's correct. Paradoxes, man.
>>
>>32206953
Yeah underrated for posting the obvious explanation to the joke
>>
>>32207205
the 1918 side would only be able to use direct fire artillery, with would limit the effective range on the modern side, while the modern side can easily destroy the 1918 sides artillery with missiles and then advance with tanks. As soon as the modern day side can secure even a small bridge head light reconnaissance can be used to spot enemy positions.
The modern day side would also be quicker at getting enough equipment to the gate, while the 1918 side would take significantly longer to bring heavy artillery in the middle of Paris. It would also be more difficult for the 1918 side to find positions from where you can fire at the gate and have a good chance to exactly hit it, without being too close to the gate as it would make you an easy target for the modern day side.
>>
>>32205971

Your svenario is bad. Why'd they decide to attack? At what point would they stop attacking? Are they frothing zealots? Are they confused and cautious? What's the objective? At what cost?

Better one. Aliens appear. Open portal. Tell both Frances if they don't attack eachother, they both die. And they blow up germany just to show they're serious.
>>
okay here is what would happen.

The 1918 side would send forth an expeditionary group mainly made up of recon and armored cars with cavalry, while they might be able to overwhelm the local police forces for a few days allowing additional troops the be brought in as reinforcements they would be utterly annihilated by the germander and French army.

The modern French army would secure the portal and wait for nato allies to gather their troops together to strike.

A force of 60k troops would be gathered including 100 tanks and 50 Bradly or similar IFV vehicles and 20 attack helicopters.(this is just a rough estimation.
Once they went through to the other side they would exploit their technological advantages such as night and thermal vision and high precision munitions and pretty much impenetrable armor.

They would then secure the alternative timelines Paris probably with in a week. and fortify it at key locations.
At this point MLRS and artillery would be brought in most likely the m270 with its 300 kilometer range and its ability to remove 1 square kilometer due to its heat sub munitions, the other would be the 152mm artilary units of various types.

C-RAM would be brought along to intercept incoming enemy shells and protect the base.

at this point most nato countries would have started a draft and war time production flooding the now occupied alt timeline paris.
America would lead a thunder run on the capitals of all hostile nations, this would entail a force of over 500 tanks and thousands of IFVs and APC, along with many helicopters and planes.

The sky would be virtually uncontested as we can blow their planes out of the sky from miles away.

Some casualties are to be expected mostly infantry who is hit by artillery or is unfortunate enough to get shot by a rifle man.

I would imagine we could establish complete superiority in the alternate Europe with in 9 months.
On the down side there are no cute elves or fantasy races or magic girls.
>>
>>32207413
In the end our side would maintain the invasion as the wartime production has temporarily solved our economic crisis and employment issue.

Oh I forgot about the opfors navy.
Alright most if not all of the ships would get blown the fuck out of the water by maverick missiles or similar systems. since most of the ships are dreadnoughts they are lacking in any sort of aa or any real way of fighting back these Arial attackers. one by one the ships are brought down.

Now lets make this a little more interesting instead of 1918 world attacking it is now the universe from valkyria chronicles.
>>
>>32207453
oh holy shit I forgot about smallpox and the Spanish flu of 1918. Okay so the biggest concern would be the reintroduction of small pox and the Spanish flu the latter which killed almost 3 percent of the planets population and is one of the most deadly global pandemics.

Most likely we would begin a forced vaccination of the local population against small pox measles mumps and rubella. the Spanish flu of 1918 would prove more difficult as its influenza and frequently mutates.
so most likely any one who went through the gate would have a quarantine period upon returning .
>>
>>32207476
Spanish flu would do shit. You ned to consider the reason spanish flu killed so many people was that people back then generally had shit diets and their were no antibiotics or anti viral medications. When you get the flu, its usually not the virius that kills you, but subsequent infection, like pneumonia.
>>
>>32207542
actually what made the 1918 flu so devastating was that it took down healthy fit young men by provoking an overblown immune system response that would cause fatal inflammation.
>>
>>32207542
You're the reason why we have superbugs.
>>
>>32206059
Look at me, I design coastlines. I've been doing fjords all my life; for a fleeting moment they become fashionable and I win a major award! What's the sense in that?
>>
>>32207413
>while they might be able to overwhelm the local police forces for a few days allowing additional troops the be brought in as reinforcements they would be utterly annihilated by the germander and French army.
While this may be the case, it would also give them plenty of time to gather up hostages, which would stall any heavy-handed retaliatory strike, and might even give the invaders a foothold from which to build their defenses.
>>
>>32205971
>both sides realize they speak the same languages

>decide war is stupid

brace for refugees
>>
>>32206351
>The most plentiful gun that could be described for such a role would be the 75, which as you know has been memed as being completely ineffective against tanks of the 40s;

The 75mm did wreck any tank used by the Germans during the BoF, especially during Fall Rot.
But sure it would be completely useless against modern MBTs.
>>
>>32207413
You numbers are shit, why would the French Army only use 100 tanks and 20 helicopters, when their capital is under sudden attack.

Also 152mm artillery?

Furthermore they wouldn't flatten their capital with rocket artillery, nor would 1918 France be able to call a ceasefire with Germany, transport troops and equipment to Paris then modern day France could, when they just had to bring troops and equipment to Paris with modern logistics.

Even the armored police vehicles of modern Paris would probably be enough to establish a bridge head in 1918 Paris
>>
>>32205971
If the 2016 army were to go through the gateway they would probably encounter a giant network of trenches all around the portal. And several Zeppelin's hanging above.
>>
>>32205971
>something approximately 60 feet wide and 40 feet tall

Would be choked shut by dead 1918 tanks and soldiers after a few minutes.
>>
>>32208127
if a dimesnsion portal opened up leading to invasion then tough titty for the hostages as the whole area would be etting capet bombed within hours and MOABs & tactial nukes dropped through it once every invafder on thos side was dead. then it would encased in a small ountain of reinfoced concrete,
>>
>>32205971
imagine what the battle hardened me of the french army 1918 would make of Paris or France now.
>>
>>32208538
Just like in GATE they would kill a few civilians but would then get royally annihilated by the modern french forces.
>>
>>32208411
sorry meant 155 for what ever reason I picked the really old soviet round... Excuse me while I commit seppuku.

My reasoning for MLRS is that we have a shit ton of them and they are highly effective against infantry and light vehicles not only that but the new unitary warheads are even effective against fortified infantry.
>>
Honestly, the political response in our world would be more interesting than the military one. They stand no chance fighting.
>We have to defuse the first World War.
>Does Paris own everything in the portal (making them the most resource rich country on Earth by far)
>Every modern country would probably want its 1918 counterpart (what about modern third world countries, who controls their 1918 version?)
>How much control do the 1918 countries maintain? Will they be independent or vassals of modern states?
>Social issues such as race relations (haven't had the civil rights movement yet)
>Environmental issues. We just got access to a world with -100 years or pollution, deforestation, and mining.
>migration, wait until 1918 people learn what modern day is like: refrigeration, HVAC, medicine, computers, social car, ect...
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.