[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would /k/ suggest going to school for if I want to get a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: ukrainian_roobin_hood.jpg (148KB, 807x605px) Image search: [Google]
ukrainian_roobin_hood.jpg
148KB, 807x605px
What would /k/ suggest going to school for if I want to get a job in weapon design & production?
>>
>>32200988
engineering, chemical engineer/chemistry, and possibly physics. Hit the books niggah.
>>
>>32200997
Maybe I should have specified small arms, artillery would be cool too. But I feel like at least chemical engineering wouldn't be necessary, But maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>32200988
Whatever you do don't go gunsmith unless you like installing scopes and doing menial shit for dumbass fudds and bubbas all day every day.
>>
>>32201026
This, unless you get off on replacing the o-ring on shotguns for the rest of your life because it's "broken" don't do gunsmithing school. R&D is all of your stems. Usually Science + Math combo.
>>
Certifications in precision machining always help.
>>
>>32201050
Really? That's one of the main ones I was looking at... Dammit.
>>
>>32200988
>weapon design & production
Production engineering, duh.
>>
Maybe I should just get degree in mechanical engineering and try to get a job a Picatinny arsenal or kahr.
>>
>>32200988
It's a good thing you're only 12; you have a lot of time to prepare for an engineering degree.
>>
File: 1461419662181.gif (503KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1461419662181.gif
503KB, 500x333px
>>32201179
What a zinger!
>>
>>32200988
Go to the job you want, apply, see what qualifications they require, get booted out, get qualifications.
>>
probably some mechanical engineering degree or machining background. you'd probably want a portfolio of designs or blueprints to submit with any hypothetical application
>>
File: Mandela.jpg (158KB, 672x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mandela.jpg
158KB, 672x800px
Alrighty, thanks for the advice everyone.
>>
Mechanical engineering, and get a lot of machine shop time in.
>>
>>32200988

I work at S&W. The only answer is Mechanical Engineering.
>>
>>32201768
Understood, thank you.
>>
Honest question.
Are there any major innovations in small arms anymore? Isn't it mostly iterative mods on older actions and occasionally stupid shit like the P90 now?
>>
>>32200988
>Farcry Russland
>>
>>32202059
If you really wanted to be good at firearms, you'd get an industrial automation degree because it's really all about economics.
>>
>>32202329
I'm not OP, just a casual range/clay faggot. I was wondering about that from a purely R&D point of view.
>>
Gunsmithing (including machining) degree program -> cnc/solidworks certificate program -> roll it all into mechanical engineering bachelors. At least that's the road I'm walking. Get ready for a lot of muzzle break installs and scope mount and boresight while working on cnc program. Don't skimp on the certificate program either get one that is basically the degree program minus the other degree classes.
>>
>>32200988
Just draft up your designs in ms paint and send them to keltec.
>>
same place you'd get a degree in video game design so you could move to japan
>>
Liberal studies from the community college.
>>
>>32201072

Gunsmith is your mechanic

Engineering and math is your designer
>>
>>32200988

Mechanical engineering I suppose.
>>
>>32202396
It's basically a mechanical engineering degree, but you also get to learn about machinery too, which is important.
>>
>>32200988
Mechanical engineering primarily. Also learn about industrial design and psychology of design on the side. Also learn machining.

Don't be the retard that specs everything at 0.0001" tolerances for no good reason.

Don't be the retard that puts magazine releases and charging handles in dumb places.
>>
>>32208998
>tolerances are dumb
>If you place something where I don't want it you are dumb
You sound like you'd be a lot of fun at parties kid
>>
>>32209038
>tolerances that are too small for the sake of being too small are dumb
FTFY
>>
>>32201730
What kind of sick fucker makes a template and doesn't have the decency to share the transparent version with the community. Shame on the guy who made this and the people who think this is acceptable.
>>
>>32209038
>let's put more wear and tear on our metalworking equipment because autism
>lel ergonomics and convenience don't matter
>>
>>32200988
>>32200997

Go Airforce, be security armorer that usually handles latest toys.
Get funds for collage.
Get Certs.
Machining experience.
3d modeling.
Physics so your frames don't explode and understand recoil management.
Still get healthcare coverage without paying for worker mediocre coverage, I.E. Government.
>>
File: 0211 - AR90PJX.jpg (32KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
0211 - AR90PJX.jpg
32KB, 800x600px
>>32209172
>tfw no funds for collage
>>
>>32200988
If you go for mechanical engineering, be prepared to manage your schedule. If you're pulling all-nighters, you're doing it wrong. You'll be surrounded by people that are fucking around and up, keep your head down. Stay in that computer lab. They won't last.

The classes won't teach you what you need to know to do a specific job, it's all too general for that. Don't expect to learn anything specific to firearm design. It's rigorous enough to filter out some retards that should not be signing drawings and that's it.

I've been an engineer for an aerospace company for the last six years, I did absolutely nothing related to airplanes while I got my BSME. Learned to learn, that's it.

>>32208998
>Don't be the retard that specs everything at 0.0001" tolerances for no good reason.

To add to why this is a bad thing, A good drawing captures the function of the part. Features whose relationship to each other impact the function should be dimensioned to each other, things that don't matter should be let to wander. Building a blob in CATIA and slapping a tight profile tolerance on it, then sending it out for manufacturing is NOT engineering. If you don't know how it's going to be made and the limitations of those manufacturing processes, you have no business releasing a drawing.

>>32209092
>let's put more wear and tear on our metalworking equipment because autism
>lel ergonomics and convenience don't matter
It's rejection/scrap rate that drives the cost up. It's not autism that drives people to apply to arbitrary tolerances to things, it's the opposite - a LACK of attention to detail, sloppy engineering.
Also, why haven't you been fucked to death by a horse yet?
>>
>>32209172
College is too hard.
>>
>>32201768
I'm sorry you work in Springfield.
>>
>>32200988
material science engineering or aerospace engineering.

Some of the hardest stuff that isn't phd level math or atomic chemistry.
>>
>>32210108
I'm >>32210061
Don't specialize on bachelor's degree. Mechanical, Civil or Electrical.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.