[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why modern battles never get as crazy as the battles 2000 years ago?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: SiegeAlesia.png (46KB, 977x845px) Image search: [Google]
SiegeAlesia.png
46KB, 977x845px
why modern battles never get as crazy as the battles 2000 years ago?
>>
Technology
>>
>>32198162
>Men, we must protect the penis at all costs
>>
Most of the historical accounts were most likely exaggerated.

Anything over 500 yrs ago assume is mostly hype.
>>
Did you not see the trenches and earthworks in Iraq/Syria?

You're ignorant. Shit is impressive even for WWI.
>>
Logistics and efficiency of forces prevents "throwing bodies" at an obstacle
>>
>>32198189

but the idea itself. of breaking a relief force during a siege by making your own wall and forcing the relief into siege warfare while continuing to lay siege is not made-up, and would never be thought of today.

>>32198203
>Did you not see the trenches and earthworks in Iraq/Syria?

i mean crazy genius innovation and improvisation, not arab crazy.
>>
>>32198162
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad
>>
>>32198220
>but the idea itself. of breaking a relief force during a siege by making your own wall and forcing the relief into siege warfare while continuing to lay siege is not made-up, and would never be thought of today.
Yes it would. We're just not building walls because walls are useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salients,_re-entrants_and_pockets
>>
>>32198220
>Modern battles just aren't crazy
>Modern battles are crazy but they don't count
>I have never been in modern battle

I'm mad, here's your (YOU)
>>
>>32198220
>tens of thousands of kilometers of berms and trenches
>Hundreds of kilometers of tunnels
>10,000 year old natural and man-made cave systems
>Armor columns of tanks, bulldozers and MRAP/APC/Trucks
>Technicals that make command and conquer jealous
You don't even know.
>>
>>32198162
Because you've been desensitized about war and death that you can't fully realize all wars had batshit crazy moments like this.
>>
>>32198275
Every single salient turned into encirclement is a moment like this. It's just not exactly similiar because modern militaries don't have to stick together in one huge bunch to be effective in combat.
>>
>>32198162

Infantry units are smaller and you can kill niggas from distance.
>>
>>32198233

>salient

you literally have no idea what you're talking about. the siege of alesia was not even a salient you dumbfuck.

>>32198254

if you can't tell the difference between genius crazy of the likes of caesar, hannibal and scipio or even the chinese in the three kingdoms, and that of plain crazy arabs mounting crew served weapons on shopping carts, then talking to you is impossible.

most likely you're descended from sandniggers and think you're crazy adaptions of western inventions are "cutting edge."
>>
>>32198285
Go find a news guy interviewing Kurds in Iraq. They're on earthworks. What you don't get is the sense of scale and seeing a berm travel to both sides of the horizon (~15km) and then knowing that the true berm goes from Syria to Kirkuk.

And people say you can't build wall.
>>
>>32198281
>Every single salient turned into encirclement is a moment like this

kursk didn't end in encirclement, far from it.

i feel like i'm talking with a fedora tipping enlightened /pol/tard who hasn't read a history book or even a wikipedia page.
>>
File: BIGBATTLE.jpg (73KB, 428x599px) Image search: [Google]
BIGBATTLE.jpg
73KB, 428x599px
>>32198177
kek best post
>>
File: 1342730924025.png (188KB, 969x575px) Image search: [Google]
1342730924025.png
188KB, 969x575px
>>32198305
How are you this stupid, anon? At no point did I claim that all salients turn into encirclements, yet you go on such a worthless rant like some mouth-breathing underageb& moron.

>>32198291
>you literally have no idea what you're talking about. the siege of alesia was not even a salient you dumbfuck.
How old are you, anon? For your sake I hope you're underage, because if you're an adult you are so fucking stupid it hurts me.
At no point did I imply the battle of Alesia was a salient, because battles of that time were not waged in any way or at wide fronts as they are today and armies would tend to move as a single force, engaging the enemy with most of their body in one place. You would know this if you weren't a waste of biomatter, but that's beside point.
At Alesia, the Romans surrounded the Gauls and then built a defensive perimeter outside to keep the reinforcements at bay. When a salient turns into an encirclement, the encircling enemy does the modern equivalent of this tactic, as they will surround the enemy and form defensive lines inwards, whilst also defending, or attacking towards the rest of the enemy force, to stop them from breaking into the encircled unit and breaking them free. Or to pursue any other strategic or operational goal they have.
>>
>>32198291
>Crazy Arabs
Trench warfare in Dondsk, Eastern Ukraine. Happening now.
>>
>>32198305
>How are you this stupid, anon? At no point did I claim that all salients turn into encirclements, yet you go on such a worthless rant like some mouth-breathing underageb& moron.
Now that I think of it, I can see how you could've made the mistake if your command of English is weak, but the way you're being an aggressive smarmy little cunt makes me think that's not the case.
Sorry if it is though, I was awfully rude.
>>
>>32198355
>At no point did I claim that all salients turn into encirclements

>>32198281
>Every single salient turned into encirclement

>At no point did I imply the battle of Alesia was a salient

then why the fuck did you start talking about about salients?

you admit alesia is not a salient then start to talk about salients

>At Alesia, the Romans surrounded the Gauls and then built a defensive perimeter outside to keep the reinforcements at bay. When a salient turns into an encirclement,

another potential good thread ruined by autistic shitposting.

go be a socially awkward fuck somewhere else.

fucking sage
>>
File: rule two.gif (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
rule two.gif
22KB, 400x300px
>>32198579
>Every single salient turned into encirclement
The sentence continues
>Every single salient turned into encirclement is a moment like this
Every single salient that turned into an encirclement is a moment like this. Make more sense to you now?
>then why the fuck did you start talking about about salients?
Because as I said, it's the same basic principle of surrounding your enemy and still defending outwards against enemy attacks. There is nothing crazy about it.

>another potential good thread ruined by autistic shitposting.
>go be a socially awkward fuck somewhere else.
>fucking sage
This level of shitty damage control is pathetic. Your thread is shit and would fit better on /his/.
>>
>>32198643
>Every single salient that turned into an encirclement is a moment like this. Make more sense to you now?

you admitted alesia isn't a salient.

so what exactly the fuck are you talking about when you say a "a moment like this"

get your shit together, do you even know what you're saying or are you just slapping your head on the keyboard to compensate for having no brain

>inb4 i was just being retarded

no you're legitimately retarded

i'd tell you to kill yourself, but you'd probably mess that up to.
>>
>>32198695
>so what exactly the fuck are you talking about when you say a "a moment like this"
>of breaking a relief force during a siege by making your own wall and forcing the relief into siege warfare while continuing to lay siege is not made-up, and would never be thought of today.
>>
>>32198721

if you're talking about a siege, then you're not talking about a salient.

just fucking kill yourself already, this is just embarrassing. it's less awkward for both of us this way.
>>
File: 1371567664288.png (147KB, 325x324px) Image search: [Google]
1371567664288.png
147KB, 325x324px
>>32198872
Just stop with the damage control already. A siege is an encirclement and there is nothing spectacular or crazy about encircling your enemy and then defending outwards.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.