[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm dumb and I fucked up my gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: Ifuckedup.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Ifuckedup.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
I need help /k/! I was (attempting to) reassemble my SD9VE and managed to get the barrel misaligned in the slide and the feed ramp caught on the small piece of metal at the top of the trigger assembly that it is normally supposed to rest on top of. I didn't feel it catch at all and got the slide onto its rails normally. But now the barrel is basically stuck in the wrong position, with the slide locked in place. I can rack the slide about 75% of its normal distance, but I cannot remove it using the normal takedown lever dissasembly.

I've been trying for hours to fix it but there is just no movement of the barrel possible and I cannot get the slide off.

I am not a gun enthusiast or a /k/ommando. This is my only gun and I have basically no experience with fixing it or any other firearms. No one in my family or friends owns guns or would even be able to identify what a slide or a feed ramp is if I tried to show them the problem.

How the hell do I fix this? Is this a common problem with handgun reassembly or am I just a special kind of retard? If I can't fix it, who the hell do I take it to? Will I get laughed out of the gun store if I bring it to them? Do I have to go to a gunsmith?

I come to you on my knees, /k/. Please feel free to mock me for my stupidity and my ignorance.
>>
File: Ifuckedup2.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
Ifuckedup2.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
:'(
>>
OP bumping from my phone because I need answers
>>
Lemme get this straight.

You somehow misaligned a barrel that really only fits in one way, and now you can't unfuck it?
>>
Take it apart again and re-align it correctly.
>>
>>32191551
Yes. I must have had it a few mm too low. I really don't know how it happened, since the recoil spring below the barrel should have been keeping it where it should be.

I am fucking stupid.

>>32191582
I can't get it apart, Ive been trying for 2 hours. The slide won't go forward for me to be able to take it off of its rails.
>>
>>32191601
Did you try pulling the trigger before trying to take the slide off?
>>
>>32191617
Yes, this is how it normally comes apart. I can pull the slide back, hold the takedown lever down and then release the slide. But then when I pull the trigger (which normally makes the slide fall forward past the rails and off the frame) it just kind of makes the slide pull back a few millimeters.
>>
Force it open replace whatever breaks?

Only other alternative is gun smith.
>>
>>32191333
>Try to chamber a round
>Point at face
>Pull trigger
>>
>>32191333
Take the back plate off the slide.
Look up on YT how.
>>
>>32191658
Your best bet is probably going to be a hammer, then, I don't know, or a gunsmith.
>>
nice corsair strafe, i got one too
>>
>>32191658
This might sound stupid, but try doing the normal disassembly with the gun upside down and then vigorously shaking the gun while you try to push the slide forward and off. If you have a hammer that won't damage metal, give the back of the slide a few whacks. Don't hit the front of your barrel, whatever you do.
>>
>>32191740
>>32191772
I've already been going at it with a rubber mallet from every direction I can think of. No progress. But also nothing broken, so that's good.

>>32191771
I've done it before when I put in the aftermarket Apex trigger. First step involves taking out a little pin from the bottom of the slide, which I can't get access to.
>>
>>32191333
You're going to have to try and chamber a round through the ejection port then fire it. The recoil will put it back into battery.
>>
>>32191811
RIP

>>32191828
Don't fucking listen to this asshole.
>>
>>32191770
>>32191828
I'm not this dumb. Also not even possible since the barrel is not in position for the cartridge to even be struck by the striker; the chamber would be too far forward
>>
>>32191811
>put front of slide against table letting it still slide
>grab gun in non retarded way
>strap trigger back
>smack handle with mallet
If all goes right you either unfucked your gun or have an expensive paper weight. Might want a gun smith to look it over even if you fix it incase it might become a hand grenade.
>>
>>32191398
Looks like the retaining catch is holding on to the lug groove in the barrel. Try pusihng the barrel forward relative to the frame and the slide.
>>
>>32191891
This has been my main angle of attack, as it were. But the problem is basically that I have to pull the slide back in order to open the chamber to push the barrel forward. Pulling the slide back pushes down the recoil spring, and so does pushing forward on the barrel. I cannot for the life of me get it to budge, though I don't know if its due to the force of the recoil spring or something else. I also tried pulling the front of the barrel - with the slide pulled back to expose enough of it, and with some high friction gloves so I could get a grip on it - still no luck.
>>
>Put wooden dowel or pencil in barrel
>Depress takedown lever
>Pull trigger
>Pry downwards on the barrel using the dowel
>Move slide forward
It's going to take more than two hands and a good bit of force on the dowel
>>
>>32191944
I've been thinking of trying basically this, but with an 8mm steel roll-pin punch that I have. But it would require more hands than I have. Or a vise clamp or something
>>
>>32191977
Don't use a punch, it'll fuck your rifling. Use wood or HDPE
>>
>>32191980
Ah I didn't think of that, thank you. I'll refrain from putting anything in the barrel for now
>>
>>32191333
get ye to a gunsmyth
>>
>>32191988
You might also be able to put the pencil into the chamber from the top of the ejection port and pry the barrel into place that way. Might be easier with two hands
>>
Thanks for your help, helpful /k/ommandos. I'm gonna stop fucking with it and just resign to having to find a gunsmith on Monday. I assume I'm going to get laughed at, I'll probably tell them that my girlfriend did it or something.
>>
>>32192092
That sucks anon. I wouldn't worry about getting laughed at desu, I'm sure they're used to inexperienced owners coming to them with even worse problems than this, and I highly doubt they would laugh if you explain it as you did here.
>>
>>32192092
Tell em you were blindfolded anon.
>>
>>32191927
The recoil spring is probably the problem. Try getting a screwdriver in there to get sufficient leverage to push the barrel forward off the catch.
>>
File: 1480314363165.jpg (203KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1480314363165.jpg
203KB, 774x1032px
>>32192203
Not OP, but this may actually work and save him humiliation. People do competitions where they field strip and reassemble a firearm blindfolded, its pretty badass actually, I would go with that excuse if I was worried about getting laughed at.
>>
>>32192235
With that excuse, worst case scenario, you get a smirk or shrug.
>>
>>32192235
This sounds far more autistic than "I wasn't being careful and reassembled it wrong"
>>
File: PTS Dog.jpg (93KB, 589x547px) Image search: [Google]
PTS Dog.jpg
93KB, 589x547px
>>32192270
>>
>>32192270
Agreed 100% Shit happens
>>
>>32191333
OP, try pulling the recoil spring guide rod all the way forward, while trying to push the barrel back into position, I've encountered this with gas airsoft pistols when I was a youngin' and that was the solution.
>>
>>32192332
>One hand on the slide to pull it back far enough to expose guide rod
>One hand on the handle to pull against
>One hand on guide rod
>One hand in exposed chamber pushing barrel upward
What species do you think I am?
>>
>>32192270
Agreed, but OP thinks he'll get laughed at if he tells them what really happened. I think that using the girlfriend excuse is worse than the competition one but both are bad.
>>
>>32191333
>fat finger
>>
File: Fuckyouimnotfat.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckyouimnotfat.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
>>32193212
I'm not gonna let you end my thread by insulting me!
>>
>>32193531
ALL I SEE ARE BIG MEATY CLAWS
>>
Put it in a vise, force the slide back with a plastic or rawhide mallet (or a regular hammer and a piece of wood.
>>
this is what happens when you buy a shit gun.
>>
>>32193531
You have a retard's thumb.
>>
File: IMG_3438.jpg (51KB, 560x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3438.jpg
51KB, 560x540px
>>32191333
Easy fix

>load weapon
> look down the barrel
> pull trigger
>>
Your options:

>1. Take it to a local gunsmith (call up gun stores for a reference).
Probably the fastest and most painless method, but the gunsmith may not confident enough to unfuck it, forcing you to use option 2.

>2. Call Smith and Wesson, and send it to them.
They have a great warranty and will likely pay your shipping fees. This is the most assured way to get your gun fixed right. Worst case scenario, S&W may replace the gun, free of charge.

>3. Test your skills with a mallet and try to hammer the slide off the frame, replacing whatever part breaks when you accomplish this.
I'd only recommend this if you understand fully the consequences, are willing and able to replace small parts, and have some experience working with handguns.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.