[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we like Post-Apocalypse/SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (203KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203KB, 800x532px
What is it that so nice and great about being in Places like the Zone in stalker, Walking the Waste in Wasteland 2, or just most post apocalyptic scenarios in the first place.

Is it the freedom.
Is it the danger.
Is it the honest work that must be done.

Why do we love the apocalypse and other scenarios like it so much /K/?

Even I don't know why I love it so much?
>>
File: image.jpg (664KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
664KB, 1280x536px
>>32181698
Also this.
>>
File: 1464497216032.jpg (130KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
1464497216032.jpg
130KB, 800x566px
>>32181698
Because when big government is gone it is up to common people to form small factions and work together. Everyone wants a chance to be on the ground floor of a prevailing form of government so they can lead by example and get other people to abide by their general code of ethics for generations.

Also, if someone pisses you off you can just shoot them lol.
>>
>>32181698
I can kill without fear.

I mean, neat aesthetics.

Honestly tho, I think it's because it is a neat survival scenario, and I think a lot of people would want to know how they would do in that scenario, the same way many want to know how they would do in a fight.
>>
File: GASMASK.MOVIE_.POSTER2.jpg (242KB, 1707x960px) Image search: [Google]
GASMASK.MOVIE_.POSTER2.jpg
242KB, 1707x960px
>>32181698
Mostly because we feel insignificant in this immense world and sort of feel that SHTF might be our chance to finally shine...
>>
Its the romantic notion of setting everything and everyone back to 0. The strong, smart and hardworking would be he ones that survive and possibly thrive.
>>
>>32181806
I read this and thought, you might be right...

The ability to know that you're prepared to a point when other people are forced to depend upon you, or they kill you for your resources lol.
>>
>>32181698
I'm a veteran of the Iraq War. I miss the deployment portion of it, but I fucking HATED being in garrison. "SHTF" tinfoil fantasies have all the makings of what was good about the war and none of what was shit about the army.

That being said, I don't actually want any shittastic doomsday nuclear nonsense to go down.
>>
>>32181698
Because it's fun.

I love camping. I love shooting. I love ubrex.
To be able to live a life fully immersed in a world where I can do all of these things all the time sounds wonderful.

I think what >>32181806 is probably true for a lot of people too. I believe I could manage alright in that kind of world. Whereas the vast majority of people haven't even given a second thought to what they would do in a total societal collapse scenario and wouldn't even make it a year.
>>
>>32184824
>the vast majority of people haven't even given a second thought to what they would do in a total societal collapse scenario and wouldn't even make it a year.
They'd begin jumping out of their high rise office building windows within a week
>>
>>32181698
The sense of freedom and unity. While some will strive to exist as wolves without a pack, those that band together to survive build a bond of camaraderie that is without equal. Friendships forged by enduring the struggle of life with one another.

It's the same reason many of us dream of the day when we might have a PMC or some semblance of Outerheaven. A state of being where we can be without the barriers and burden of modern life and thrust ourselves into the breach of death and danger with those that share the same dreams and fears as us. To exist while your life may be vanquished each and every day, and knowing you will not die alone.

A young death surrounded by /k/ommrades is better than an old death surrounded by the ghosts of regret.
>>
>>32185178
That was poetic.
>>
>>32181806

Pretty much

I'm failure under our social system; perhaps I might be more useful to those around me in one where my ability to protect them might come in handy.

I'd probably be a failure in the post-apoc too, but hey, it's not to think you might be better.
>>
>>32181698
humanity thrives in chaos, the animal within wants to be free, we have suppressed it for so long anything violent we find appealing
>>
>>32181698
Freedom I would say, Give me a gun, ammo, the tools to build a shelter and hunt and treat food properly and I think anyone would be happy to live out in the boonies away from everyone. Also if someone pisses you off you can just fucking shoot them. It is scary too though but at the same time I feel like it would be less stressful than modern life as humans were meant to survive and not meant to live this monotonous corporate stuck in traffic life. This is also part of the reasoning why I believe people who are cops, join the military, or any other type of first responders or outdoor job tend to be more honest and down to earth. They are doing somthing that truly makes them happy even if they know they could die doing it one day.
>>
>>32184593
So much this.
>>
File: IMG_6480.jpg (100KB, 591x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6480.jpg
100KB, 591x407px
I play a game in my head when I'm bored. I look around wherever I'm at, I look for potential shelter, weapons, food sources, etc.

It gives me something to think about when I'm on the road.
>>
>>32184593
No you arent
>>
STALKER isn't post-apocalyptic though.
>>
File: IMG_3506.png (866KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3506.png
866KB, 533x800px
Everyday, we live our drab lives. Going to work, paying bills, washing our vehicles. Our lives have become a conundrum of boring repetitive motions with almost no risk of danger.

The average person is not a cop, EMT, Firefighter, or other special service. Most people only have adrenaline run in their veins a few dozen times in their life. The majority of people feel neutered even if they won't admit it. They repress the urge to beat the fuck of a person annoying them. We're on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn.

So, shtf represents excitement, uncertainty, and the chance to go back to our primal roots of killing and winning and actually providing food and services to our family/tribes.

It's also a very romanticized concept, I think. Everyone always thinks they'll be the one on top of the pile. Seldom do people think that it might be them swinging from a lamp post with a warning to others, or half of their face smeared across a road, or little bits of skull and grey matter floating down a river while their body remains on some shitty bridge somewhere.

Do I enjoy shtf things? Hi bet your ass. But would I have an immense fear and be careful as fuck in the event? Of course. And I wouldn't be one to wantonly kill people. You never know who might be of some good to you as far as knowledge and skills.
>>
File: 1468775119493.jpg (47KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
1468775119493.jpg
47KB, 600x677px
>>32185531
What the fuck is that flavortown ass rifle?
>>
>>32186592
That's why is is cool. It's a SHTF mystical style world, but there is still healthy civilization outside that you can always return to and make new shit for your squad.
>>
>>32186499
Yes, yes I am.
>>
Personally, post apocalyptic scenarios feel more organic to me. Our modern world is so different from the environment we evolved to live in. I think a little more chaos and unpredictability would do us all good, but I'm certainly not going to willingly give up my creature comforts, so the SHTF scenario forces you into a situation that you wouldn't willingly choose, but might be mentally, and as long as it's not too severe, physically better for you.
>>
I think it is just, forgive me if I use the word, a genre that combines many of the things we enjoy. Also it is a fairly new idea that hasn't been explored too much.
I was thinking about this the other day when I was telling my girlfriend why I like Metro 2033 so much.
Your life depends on you, and there are so many different factors at play that you can die almost any time for a multitude of reasons, some of them absolutely unfair and bullshit (anomolies or radiation). Also the plethora of guns and ammo, and being able to use those guns against monsters and bandits (things that it is okay to shoot and their lives dobb't matter).
To me it is the classic adventure story but with the twist of science fiction.
>>
>>32181816

the more i read this thread the more it seems like people here are failures irl and assume that because they read /k/ and go to the gym every once in a while they will be fucking apex predators during a collapse.
>>
>>32181698
The strong smart and prepared coming together to btfo the weak and corrupted.

Without hand to hand wars every 5 years with swords and shit we've let the gene pool stagnate a bit.

but lets be real it's because life in the west has been boring as dick lately.
>>
>>32187425
I mean as long as it's collapse or conventional war.

Nukes and disease are dirt-tier horeshit that would off too many fellow preppers
>>
File: 1478086968563.jpg (113KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478086968563.jpg
113KB, 800x600px
>>32186595

>not everyone is an emt, firefighter, cop

You would be surprised how many public servants are on /k/.

I am a firefighter/emt/nurse in training and eventually the adrenaline goes away from this as well. The first year is a blast, but after a while it's just another day at work. Recently I drove a pediatric pt who was in shock and vomited a half liter of blood, and all I could think as I was driving down the highway was "I'm really tired. Can't wait to get home and sleep". Meanwhile there's an 8 year old circling the drain behind me.

You do get desensitized to it after a while. Your work stories are better than the pencil pusher's day at work, but every day isn't some crazy adventure of being an elite operator. It becomes just another day at the office.
>>
>>32181698
It's about the cheeki.
>>
>>32186979
It was an sks.
>>
>>32187264
You must not get out often.

Reading /k/ and going to the gym already puts you in the top 10% over the genetic trash that's been coming out of the latest generations.
But everyone could use some improvement.

Especially more *survival experience.
>>
>>32181698
I like the idea of SHTF for the same reason I like the idea of a big next US civil war or Emperor Trump's formation of a volunteer unit to go liberate Europe from the EU:

Even though I'm fit, intelligent, in college, a successful ROTC cadet that's on the track to commission, and have a loving family and friends, there's still that feeling that the world is just so monotonous and dreary. It's pretty much what the other anons said above. We're all trapped in this cycle of wake up, do what you're told to make a living, go to bed and repeat. We feel our existence is essentially meaningless, sitting in a chair staring at a computer all day. Even if you work on your feet, for most people there's no adventure, no thrill of existence, no true freedom. And I feel that as people it's only natural to want that. You don't think Jamal/Janine in the projects or John/Jackie in a white collar job don't want the same thing? Everyone wants to live by their own agenda, that's why "absolute power corrupts absolutely" is such a common occurrence.
>>
>>32187491
>wearing ear pro so he doesn't go chimp mode when he gets called a nigger
>>
>>32185309
This is so true
>>
>>32181698
>Why do people like the idea of war state anarchy
Because we've been doing it and keep returning to it for thousands of years.
We're tribal.
>>
>>32187527
>Implying their aren't quality blacks who aren't logical, respectable, and have a sense of humor
>>
>>32187850
Implying more than 5% of them fit into that catagory
>>
>>32187870
Have you even talked to black people? Way more than 5% aren't shitheeds
>>
You must not live near a city.
You must not take the entire continent of Africa into account either.

I'll go up to 10% though. I know a few good ones.
>>
it's fun until nuclear reactors start melting down and everyone dies from radiation poisoning
>>
Because I want to CoD irl
>>
>>32187969
I wasn't including Africa, or Europe. You got me there.
>>
>>32188033
hordes of autistic gen z skeletons raiding and trickshotting

the screaming memes
>>
>>32181698
I think it's because survival in that scenario makes more sense. In our current state, we're forced to pursue things like money and status while paying taxes to a government so huge it doesn't seem to know we exist. Living in a post-apocalypse society would be refreshingly simple because the only rule is "don't die"
>>
File: 1473978541763.jpg (725KB, 688x776px) Image search: [Google]
1473978541763.jpg
725KB, 688x776px
>>32185531
I am glad it is just a game for you anon.
>This is me every second of every day.
>Everywhere I go.
>Cannot turn it off.
>This is my curse.
>This is autism.
>>
>>32187507
>It was an sks.
>was
I guess it's an SgayS now
>>
>>32181698

Because it's a Consequence Free, Power Fantasy with a lot of Potential for Catharsis.
>>
>>32181698
When I lived in the labor camp. I had to suffer a lot of pain. I had to go hungry and put up with beatings and punishment. because I didn't do my work well enough. But in South Korea you have to suffer when you don't have enough money. It's exhausting. It's all about money. That makes it tough for me here. When I think about it, I rarely saw someone committing suicide in the camp. Life was hard and you were an inmate your whole life. But in South Korea many people attempt suicide. They die. It may look like the people here don't want for anything. They have clothes and food. But there are more people committing suicide here than in the camp. There are news reports about that every day.
-Shin
The modern world is a pretty shit place to live.
Take a small mammal, capable of living in the wild. If it is taken and put into a small cage with food and water, its quality of life improves massively. It no longer needs to worry about predators, and it no longer needs to worry about starvation.
But who in their right mind would argue that a small mammal would be better off in a cage?
Now, we are not living in a real cage, but rather an ideological one, a cage that has us completely trapped and yet we cant see the bars of the cage, because the cage is all we know.
A teenage boy can get into a fistfight in school, get assault charges, and spend up to 10 years in prison. What kind of world allows that to happen? Boys are meant to fight. Boys are meant to complete for resources, women, and social standing, and yet any sort of assertive ambition is marked down as evil.
Depression only exists in the first world. Depression is not the opposite of happiness, but vitality. Its not just being sad, its sitting in a bed all day staring at the ceiling, having no motivation to ever do anything, because you know your government/parents/society will do everything for you.
>cont
>>
File: 1440631128736.jpg (275KB, 850x1207px) Image search: [Google]
1440631128736.jpg
275KB, 850x1207px
>>32189191
This concept continues and can be applied to governments and nations as a whole. Western European defense ministers look like a group of middle aged women at a book club, politicians are more concerned over transgender bathrooms than their nations economic and military prosperity, and any act of aggression to put yourself above the rest is seen as pure evil.
Food is extremely easy to get and tastes extremely good. Modern food is designed in laboratories to taste as good as possible, and yet true good food no longer exists. I remember when I was a teenager, I went to a very underpopulated part of the world and trekked off into the mountains unprepared. Being 15 years old, instead of turning back, I decided to keep going regardless of food. I melted snow for water, but by the end I had gone 3 days without eating, while constantly moving all day.
This sort of ordeal would be commonplace in the ancient world, but to me, who had never even gone a day without eating, it was world shattering. At the end, I ate a bag of M+Ms and a peanut butter sandwich my dad gave me when I got back to him. He called me a retard.
That food was the best food I ever had.
In this world, there is no struggle. No fight. No constant will to survive and to improve, to impose will upon others and make a mark upon history. There is no reason to live, because most people dont have a definite place in the world. They are not passionate about their work, they do not believe they make a difference, and for a lifetime of hard work, they get to die in a retirement home.
Sometimes I tell people the ideal world I would live in would be classical era Mediterranean. Following this, people tell me I would starve, get conscripted and killed or maimed, and die of a simple disease that modern medicine could fix at a young age.
I dont have problems with any of those things. An outdoor cat has a shorter lifespan than an indoor cat, but who wants to be an indoor cat?
>>
File: 1478226859884.jpg (117KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478226859884.jpg
117KB, 1080x720px
>>32181698
I don't love it. I don't even like thinking about it. However since it's a possibly I plan for it.

The idea of an apocalyptic earth whether through the forms or nuclear war or a cosmic cataclysm, or drought or pestilence, or famine or civilization collapse isn't a fun idea. There is nothing fun about it. It will be a trail that not many have seen specifically some random NEET.

I did two tours of Thank you for your Service. Some FOBs lacked the basic essentials of water and food. We went two weeks without a shower. Three days without toilet paper. We only ran generators at night and that was only because we wanted to sit and watch bootleg Afghani dvds on a guys laptop that couldn't hold a fucking charge. We couldn't even turn the flood lights on because of shit wiring.

It's amazing how you lose interest in life after being starved of first world luxuries just after two weeks. People didn't want to work out anymore. We didn't play catch. Everything smelt, it was hot and then cold, nothing was clean, so even the hobby of sleeping was miserable. That isn't even bringing up the lone fuckers who randomly fire an ak at your walls in the middle of the night or the indirect motar round that lands somewhere once a day.

It's not fun. It isn't even close. What I went through wasn't even that bad on the grand scheme of things. I knew that I would be rotated out eventually and that idea kept me going. Soon I would be taking a shower and eating pizza and having a near beer. The thought of a world, not just a place, that is 10x worse than what I went though and one that has no hope of thriving again in my lifetime isn't fun.

I prepare because I owe it to myself and my family to get the most out of life for as long as we can. Life is fragile and fleeting. Prepping is like stoking the flame, but soon that fire will burn out and all you will have left is the flickering embers of fading memories. Fuck any autistic NEET who enjoys the thought of an apocalyptic world.
>>
>>32189191
>>32189273
/thread

I don't know whether or not the entire thing was a quote like the beginning, but you hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>32189308
Thats bullshit and you know it.
The camaraderie soldiers share is unparalleled, and adverse conditions is where brotherhood and connection shine.
Soldiers miss war for a reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZMSmcuiXM&
>>
>>32181698
I like the idea of it because The Road Warrior is my favorite movie and fallout is my favorite game series (let's just forget Fallout 4 happened)
>>
>>32189191
>A teenage boy can get into a fistfight in school, get assault charges, and spend up to 10 years in prison. What kind of world allows that to happen? Boys are meant to fight. Boys are meant to complete for resources, women, and social standing, and yet any sort of assertive ambition is marked down as evil.
A world run by women who are jealous the boys never competed for them. Feminism is totalitarianism by and for ugly women.
>>
>>32189321
nah, just the beginning.
He was born in a prison camp and spent 23 years there.
His ideal situation is to collapse the DPRK, move back to the camp, tear down the walls, and farm food out of the home he grew up in.
>>
>>32189333
>and adverse conditions is where brotherhood and connection shine.

Sure. I loved the guys I served with. Sitting on the rat house of a couch watching those DVDs is some of the best memories I have of the service.

The other memories I have is the pain and discomfort and mental torture that brought a lot of us into the brink of despair. The only thing that didn't tilt us over that edge was the other guys inside the wall.

Saying the nohomo love we had for each other made life not suck is something that no one would say if they had experienced it themselves.
>>
Because I like being alone, killing shit, and urban exploration.

I want to walk around new York city but empty except for wild dogs. I want to climb up a building or explore empty dead areas.

Its my idea of wanderlust that so many normies have. But mine is dead empty and free with no laws.
>>
>>32181698
The ability to live free of external responsibilities (rent, taxes, credit score) in a world that forces the harsh black and white morality of a survival situation and rewards good decisive decisions and provides frequent intense adrenaline dumps and the chance to test yourself in combat

The bad part that SHTF fetishists forget is that the trade off is exponentially increased probability of hypothermia, starvation, dying from the infection resulting from minor wounds, infant mortality rates, and suprise rape.

Also there are a lot of people that think that they would be more successful if other more successful people are cleared out of the way first.

People that think like this aren't likely to fare any better in SHTF than in contemporary life (at least in most free western nations) because they fail to realize that in a free society the best tend to rise to the top
>>
>>32181816
fat neckbearded neets in moms basement fantasizing about ruling the garbage kingdom
>>
>>32185256
its also bullshit.

there are no romantics in combat.
>>
>>32189567
Pretty much this and this >>32189614. Anything bad enough to make the world that away will be bad enough to make those who survived with they hadn't.

Pretty much just a power fantasy.
>>
Remnants of our hunter-gatherer instincts. As Carl Sagan explains

>For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we haven’t forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood. We invest far-off places with a certain romance. This appeal, I suspect, has been meticulously crafted by natural selection as an essential element in our survival. Long summers, mild winters, rich harvests, plentiful game—none of them lasts forever. It is beyond our powers to predict the future. Catastrophic events have a way of sneaking up on us, of catching us unaware. Your own life, or your band’s, or even your species’ might be owed to a restless few—drawn, by a craving they can hardly articulate or understand, to undiscovered lands and new worlds.
>>
>>32189567
I'd agree 100% if you made a small tweak to your post
>People that think like this aren't likely to fare any better in SHTF than in contemporary life (at least in most free western nations) because they fail to realize that in a free society the best tend to rise to the top
Skip the 'western nations' part and change the 'free society' into 'any form of society'. Darwinism FTW.

Funnily, those fapping to SHTF scenarios would still end up bums they are now.
>>
>>32181698
I love STALKER: Call of Pripyat with Misery and The Armed Zone mods... here's why.

>Difficulty
Real life ain't easy.
>Hunting and cooking food
Sure there's no real butchery animation, but it's still a realistic aspect
>Bullet drop
Gravity is a thing
>Firearms aren't pinpoint accurate
Some designs are inherently more accurate than others, or easier to be accurate with
>Firearm upgrades/modifications
Sure, not all the upgrades are realistic or applicable (depending no the design), but firearm upgrades ARE a thing, and implementing them adds a great layer of added gameplay by pimping out a firearm to be tuned to how you play/fight
>Firearms in general
There is something truly beautiful about some guys, comrades in arms, just going for a walk while holding their respective armaments
>Selection of firearms
In modern battlefields, you find Mosins, Mausers, SKSs, AKs, AR variants (including M4/M16), TT33s, Makarovs, M1911s, M21, Dragunovs, and there's probably even the occasional SVT-40 floating around, not to mention old PPSh-41s and such. The sheer variety, both in the game and IRL, is staggering, and orgasmic
>Armour
While I'm not really into armour, the game makes it quite clear that getting shot SUCKS, and armour can make it suck a BIT less, while also reminding you that it's heavy as shit
>Ammo weight
It's just a shame you can't get magazines, but yeah, ammo DOES weigh you down, and it's one of the few games that shows this to you. Did you know that 230gr Ball .45 ACP weighs nearly as much as 150gr M80 Ball 7.62 Nato IRL? Pistol ammo that weighs as much as rifle ammo, yeah, and 9x19 is heavier than 5.56/5.45
>7N6 penetrates better than M193, but M193 causes more damage on unarmed targets. Yeah 7N6 tumbles and fucks shit up, but when 5.56 fragments (need to be roughly within 250m with a 20" barrel, 14" probably needs within 175-200m), it's clearly fucking brutal
>Malfunctions
YES! They are exceedingly rare in real life, but they CAN happen!
>>
>>32181698
mainly for the rape and slavegirls. plus it's nice escapism from the cushing isolation and drudgery of my everyday existence.
I should kill myself.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.