[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the Steyr L9A1? Been thinking about a new CCW, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2234.jpg (111KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2234.jpg
111KB, 661x496px
Thoughts on the Steyr L9A1? Been thinking about a new CCW, and fuck are they sexy.
>>
>>32172301
Fantastic guns. I haven't shot the L, but I have the M9.
>>
>>32172407
>>32172301
I would get the M for CC though. It's mine, and I wouldn't want to CC the L.But to each his own.
>>
>>32172407
>>32172421
I'm a big guy, so I can conceal the L. No issues with FTF/FTEs? I hear they had issues with that?
And what's the aftermarket like?
>>
>>32172301
I bought an L9-A1 as my first gun at their new Bessemer location. The first time I took it to the range it jammed seven times, usually on the first shot of each new mag. Haven't shot it since. Not on purpose though.
>>
The trigger has this weird reset point that makes it more comfortable to just let it all the way out for each shot. . . But it's the most controlled striker trigger I've felt, you can feel exactly where the break is out of the box and it stays consistent. (disclaimer: I have sausage fingers fit for a butchers display case; your results may vary)
>>
>>32172473
None so far. They had issues with previous gens, but they seem to be worked out. As for aftermarket...it can be found if you look for it.
>>
Had an M9A1 subject to recall

It was unreliable. FTE out the ass. FTF with used and new magazines.

Got new parts from Steyr from recall

It was still shit

Trigger pull is ok. Reset isn't very tactile. I have a good local Kydex holster maker, so I didn't really care about holster selection. Sights are fine, but no triangle night sight options. As such, I prefer my Ameriglo Pro I Dots on my Glock 17.

Price of mags is a consideration for some. I like to buy so many I don't even bother opening the packages anymore after a certain point. Wasn't the gun for me in that sense.

I bought it in my early days of gun ownership as an underiformed and inexperienced anti Glock fedora tipper (2nd purchase after a Type 53)

eventually sold it off and funded more AR parts and a Glock 17 and have never looked back
>>
>>32172509
>M9A1 subject to recall
That's an old/early model then.

You can still find those, but the L9a1 is very new production. Either the C or the S is very new as well.
>>
>>32172534
the old model looked like melted shit, too. the new[current] gen looks great except for steyr's logo looks dated now. but thats just my opinion I might mess around in paint to see what it would look like without finger grooves, but it almost definitely wouldnt feel as comfy irl
>>
Got one recently. Love it. FTE a few times in the first 150 rounds. Put another 250 through it in one sessions, all hollow points. No jams. It only jammed with this American Eagle 147gr stuff, and it caused my friends other 9mm to hang up a few times too, so take that for what it's worth.
>>
>>32172740
its due to lower power rounds, iirc Steyr pistols are proof tested for +p. This is a wild guess that I'm probably wrong about, but the 9mm maybe uses the same recoil spring as the .40/.357sig models
>>
File: DLo1301-Gran3.jpg (163KB, 1189x1189px) Image search: [Google]
DLo1301-Gran3.jpg
163KB, 1189x1189px
>>32172692
>Looks
>Logo

Grips can be replaced/covered. There's an OK aftermarket of parts for the Steyr.
>>
File: steyr.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
steyr.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>32172865
like I said, just my opinion.
>logo
but the gen 1's did look pretty bad, pic related
>>
>>32172864

Low power rounds? Is that the 147gr stuff then? It ran all the 115gr, 124 and 125 stuff fine. The 2x it happened the empty round was maybe only out of the chamber 1/3 of the way.
>>
they shoot as good as they look, which is to say, awesomely. highly recommended.
>>
>>32172901
bad? fucking glorious. space gun.
>>
I carried an M9A1 for a while.

I'd get a FTE every 2-300 hundred rounds and actually had one the first time I test-fired my defense ammo (hornady critical defense).

Mine also has a tendency to eject straight back. Put a nice burn on my brow when a casing got lodged on my eyepro.

Had no idea about the +p rating though. Will definitely run a a few boxes through it and see how it goes.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
I've been considering one myself, but starting to think about maybe just going for a normal hammer-gun because I think practicing draw + safety unlock wouldn't be too hard.

But if I did get one, you think this would fit on it? The mount, not the scope.
>>
>>32174465
double check that +P thing though, I'm just parroting something I read on a forum once about the same thing
>occasional FTEs with lower power rounds
>>
File: 20161201_054830.jpg (2MB, 1746x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_054830.jpg
2MB, 1746x1536px
>>32172301
Mine is a older model, still need to get the new style extractor. Mine lobs casings at my face. No failures so far. Got like 2000 rounds with her.
>>
>>32174465
>Mine also has a tendency to eject straight back
>>32175345
Mine goes straight up
>>
File: IMG_20161201_132012507.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161201_132012507.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>32172301
Make sure you handle one before you buy it. The ergos are pretty funky. Otherwise, I've got no complaints with mine. The sights are neat but a little tough to get the hang of.
>>
>>32172301
I have a S9 myself, which is more suited to CCW.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.