[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The FFL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: FFL.jpg (73KB, 894x597px) Image search: [Google]
FFL.jpg
73KB, 894x597px
Fellow /k/omrades, i have come to terms that i hate civilian life and that i need to start a new life and there is no other way than joining the FFL. I love the whole concept of military life,discipline and everything that comes with it.
Im young and strong but i have a bit of problem with running since my stamina is a bit shit (most i ran was 8km in around 50 minutes) but im stubborn and mentally strong enough to push myself over my limits.
Ive watched some videos of the training the FFL has but i want to ask you guys if some of you were in the FFL or if you know someone that was there how was it? how was the food (during basic and active duty)? Do they take good care of your health if you have a health problem? How hard is the training schedule?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>32166065
Does your country not possess a military?
>>
>>32166077
too shitty training and payment (yes it is east europe)
>>
>>32166077
not gonna risk my neck for 400-600 euro per month in my shit country...ill risk it for 1200-3600 per month
>>
>>32166130
Legion sounds like it's probably in your interest.
>>
>>32166149
its pretty much the only thing i like, and weighted all my options including college (which im thinking of ditching since every day i feel more miserable and disgusted with myself)
the only thing im afraid is that this is more of a all or nothing choice and im terrified of failing to be accepted there because then id prolly have no idea what to do with my life
>>
>>32166065
Training is insanely tough. If you have shit stamina, you are going to get fucking rekt, stamina is essential for any soldier.
>>
Damn dude, FFL aren't easy to join... French Army's trainings are like hell, among the world's hardest ones... I know some instructors (I'm french), and they confirmed me that stamina is essential... Gotta work on that dude...
>>
>>32166319
>>32166368
I can run a long distance at a steady pace
if its speed we are talking about i can run 1km in 3:30 minutes
during hikes i used to be the mule that carried most of the weight
even during my training if i ever fucked myself with fatigue and vomited, id just get up and keep pushing like nothing happened
>>
>>32166395
At least, you're determined... Good luck mate !
>>
>>32166413
i really want to succeed in the FFL, but i dont know what to really expect until i get there, and the thought of failing is the only thing that wears me down...
Thanks for the luck mate!
>>
File: saut-antares.jpg (64KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
saut-antares.jpg
64KB, 1024x768px
I'm about to attempt to join as well. I have a flight booked to France on the 8th of January. I've been studying French for the past 4 months and I've gotten myself into great shape(running 10k 4-5 times a week in about 48-49 minutes, and going on 9 mile hikes with a 50 lb pack every Sunday through the mountains) Any idea what you want to do/where you want to go within the Legion? I'm hoping for the 2nd REP or the 3rd REI.
>>
>>32166520
>2nd REP
Wew lad
>>
>>32166520
13eDBLE or 2eREP for me
gotta get to your level bro, you went to some french courses?
also do any of you guys know any other elimination stages that might fuck me over besides the initial sports test?
>>
File: 3-rei-1987-insigne.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
3-rei-1987-insigne.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>32166551

I started studying back in July when I quit my job and completely committed to the idea of trying to join. I went with Rosetta Stone which does a great job of teaching the very basics. In September I started an adult education course at my local community college that ends this week. It's been extremely helpful to have a few hours a week to actually practice my french conversation skills. Rosetta stone is great for teaching comprehension and vocabulary, but actually speaking the language is an entirely different beast that is best learned through... actually speaking the language.

I've been continuing with Rosetta Stone and I've almost finished all 5 levels now, and I also started a self-education course called "French in Action" as well. It's a 52 episode television series in which a bit of a story is played, and then the rest of the episode is a professor going through the story and explaining it line by line. The whole thing is in french except for the first episode. There are also corresponding workbooks and a textbook that go with the course if you want to get the most out of it, but there's plenty of value to be had from the videos themselves

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj7udf_french-in-action-01_shortfilms
>>
>>32166627
looks archaic...but if it works it works...
also as far as i know the FFL will teach you french too or am i wrong?
>>
>>32166065
They're turning away almost everyone and only taking about 1 in 20 people, budget cuts have hit hard, so have a backup plan in the likely case you're rejected

>>32166520
>I'm hoping for the 2nd REP or the 3rd REI

Hate to dash your hopes but you'll take what they assign you and like it or go home, the Legion doesn't like people who ask for specific things when there's more important positions in other units that need filled.

If your vision is 20/20, teeth have zero problems, you're a strong swimmer and your joints don't pop you might be able to compete with the other 15-20 people hoping for the same spot

>>32166675
You have exactly three months upon signing your contract to learn 500 French words or you're going home
>>
>>32166695
my have a few fillings but nothing critical
but they do have french teaching classes right?
like how to conjugate and stuff
>>
>>32166695
Are popping joints considered a problem? I never heard about that before. Like when you pull your finger and it goes pop?
>>
>>32166695

>Hate to dash your hopes but you'll take what they assign you and like it or go home, the Legion doesn't like people who ask for specific things when there's more important positions in other units that need filled.

From what I've researched the top 10 recruits during training get their choice of unit taken into consideration. Of course I will take what they give to me, but I'm going in trying to finish as high as possible and earn an assignment to a place I want to go. I've also read that they like to send prior-service guys from anglophone countries to the REP so I have that going for me.

>If your vision is 20/20, teeth have zero problems, you're a strong swimmer and your joints don't pop you might be able to compete with the other 15-20 people hoping for the same spot.

All of that applies to me. Perfect vision, teeth, and I grew up surfing/wake boarding. All I want is the opportunity to compete for the spot.

Are/were you in the FFL?
>>
>>32166770
vision is top for me...teeth have a few fillings but they are strong and good, not much of a swimmer myself but i can do the job, same as you man, id take whatever theyd gave me as long as its an active combat role...ill compete for such a post

also i heard they are looking for leadership skills during training and some recruits have a better chance of going up through the ranks
>>
I know a veteran of the FFL and there is only one thing I can tell you: you'll come back fucked up. As in, who-put-PTSD-there levels of fucked up to the point where shooting a gun yourself will be tough shit. People like to glorify shit like that but war tends to fucking ruin you for good.

This being said, it's your choice. Good luck if you actually decide to go through with it.
>>
File: atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg (40KB, 480x361px) Image search: [Google]
atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg
40KB, 480x361px
>>32166838
i guess it depends on the individual
>>
>>32166868
For sure. Don't take it as a stern "don't", because it's not. It's just a word of warning, because everyone should know what they are going to face. The guy I was talking about is about the toughest bastard I've ever met, up for everything and he still came back as a patchwork of scars and wounds and personal issues. Now, I love the guy, but one has to recognize that what he and lots of others went through with the FFL is stuff that might get you far worse than killed. As I said, entirely OP's choice. He should just know that the FFL is more than just a tough training regimen, but something that will likely scar him.
>>
>>32166838

I went to Afghanistan twice as a grunt, saw buddies killed right in front of me, killed child soldiers, experienced the worst that war has to offer, and I'm more or less fine. Like >>32166868 said it all depends on the mentality of the individual.
>>
>>32166745
Fillings are okay, any forming cavities, wisdom teeth, broken teeth or anything that will become a problem within your first 90 days will be rejection from the doctor

Daily French classes are provided, learning about 150-200 words before you even go will help you so much both to understand what they're shouting at you and also help your chances of actually getting in, sometimes they turn away people for the sole reason of not speaking any French before they arrive but those are mostly just stone stupid people

>>32166759
Fingers no, elbows, shoulders, knees can have some problems depending on severity

>>32166770
Sometimes, the Legion sorts people based on need a lot of times, if there isn't exceptional need somewhere else you might get what you want

If you can swim you can be deployed, if you can't swim you will spend all your time in France itself

Yes, I have been in since December 9th, 2008, I suggest if you are serious about the Legion to go around Christmas time, that's when the fewest recruits come and everyone is in a much more generous and generally more lenient mood
>>
>>32166065
>Do they take good care of your health if you have a health problem?

War wounded are really well treated since France have top tier military hospitals, but in the Legion you can simply die from heat during the training (happened in Djibouti)...
>>
>>32166944
>Mourir pour la France
>De chaleur
>A Djibouti

Je signe!
>>
File: PB040094_1.jpg (432KB, 1460x1095px) Image search: [Google]
PB040094_1.jpg
432KB, 1460x1095px
>>32166936

Its a long shot but were you in D'jibouti in 2010 by any chance? When I was in the USMC we did a desert survival course that was run by the Legion out of their Arta beach encampment (CECAP?). That's what first planted the idea of someday trying to join the Legion in my head. Also, they gave us a certificate of completion when we finished. Do you think it would be a good thing to bring to selection with me?
>>
>>32166936
i was thinking to go around November-December-January-February when its colder with exactly that in mind that there will be very few recruits and mostly from europe since i guess asians and africans dont like making sports in the snow or cold
>>
>>32166936

I'm leaving for France on the 8th of January and plan to present myself to the Legion around the 22nd-23rd-24th. Is that a good time?
>>
>>32167026
I was not there in 2010, chances are if you come to Nogent you will see me though.

It wouldn't hurt to bring it along with any other honors or certificates you may have.

>>32167058
>>32167073
Yes, good times to go, the fewest recruits come from mid-December to late January.

What are you doing from the 8th to the 22nd?
>>
>>32167113
the worst period to go i guess would be in summer?
you're still active duty?
>>
>>32167113

>What are you doing from the 8th to the 22nd?

Got myself a cheap room in Paris in the 6th arrondissement . I figured that if I am about to sign away my life again I might as well take some a couple weeks and enjoy the city and experience the culture. Who knows when the next bit of freedom I get might be? I think I will bring that certificate, my dd214, and my graduation certificate from Assaultman Leadership Course. What do you do at De Nogent? That's where I was planning to join.

Any other advice?

btw I am both >>32167026 and >>32167073
>>
>>32166395
>keep pushing like nothing happened
Wishful thinking at its finest. Try doing this while hungry, physically exhausted and sleepfucked. You already said your stamina has something to be desired, and that is absolutely crucial in a spec ops-like force. Besides all that, you need to carry far more than 50lb. 35lbs is extremly light for rucksack, and you'll be carrying more than 50lbs of shit.

Also, you should know some basic French. FFL is for really hard dudes, which I suspect you are not. Why not try joining local reserves, and if you enjoy that, work reg force. If you're fit and determined, you should be able to try for spec ops any time they do try outs.
>>
>>32166759
Popping joints, as in your joints pop out of their socket. Usually happens when guys are running or lifting too much weight, seen it happen before.
>>
French military here.

You have to understand that thé legion requires ABSOLUTE commitment. You Will lose your identity, your life, everything.

They turn down 9/10 people from entry to 3 month later. The disciplin is the strictest there is un the World.

Expect the hardest time in your life.

OP : they dont look for athletes, they look for motivated people like you. You have the same chances as the rest. One advice : obey the orders. The mission is the only important thing there. Food should be good if its the same as the regular army. You will bé taken care of if you are wounded. One of the article of the Légionnaire's code is : "you dont abandon your deads, your wounded and your arms"
>>
>>32167133
I would not say active haha.

April through September are the worst.

>>32167174
>Any other advice?
Get blackout drunk and have fun, visit the museums, bang any women you can get, whatever you like to do go do it, your first year will be like prison.

I get the highly dangerous, super exciting, hair raising, goosebump inducing, face melting operator job of checking your ID before you go in, remember to ask for Allen so I can show you to the lobby where you can sign your soul away for a snazzy hat and uniform that will be sure to melt any ice queens heart.
>>
>>32167192
50 lbs aint shit (presuming i did the math correct and its 23 kg) the most i hiked with was around 30kg
about the wishful thinking...ill work on that
fuck local forces and spec ops...in my country they are paid shit for what its expected of them...id rather train and take my chances in the FFL
hard dude? as in what?
>>
>>32167239
i am motivated to fight for France, for the legion, never had problems obeying
i wish to be part of a family like the Legion with its strong values, and im willing to push myself to earn the Kepi Blanc
the one thing that makes me question myself is that 9/10 rejection rate...what will they reject me for? I was thinking you get eliminated because youre a criminal, fail your sports or they dont like your interview...ofc disobeying orders too will get one kicked out of the Legion, but what else is frowned upon?
>>
>>32167250
most candidates during that time i presume?
Allen is a name to remember then
>>
>>32167329
Yeah, they mostly come in summer, mostly.
>>
>>32167365
thanks a lot for all the info
now all i have to do is notch up my training...any advice on a routine or something?
>>
>>32167314
What will get you kicked out :
- not obeying : by far the biggest problem, they dont accept excuses like "i didnt understand the order because i dont speak french"
- being a criminal : no murder, no rape, no drug dealers
- failing anything : sport, shooting, french (500words in 3 months), giving up

Thats all i know, maybe there is more, im not in the FFL.

Bé careful : you will sign away EVERYTHING.
>>
>>32167314
>what will they reject me for?
Nothing in particular. There's just so much applicants that they only take the "best" according to their criteria.
>>
>>32167390
>>32167410
YOLO

joke aside...how clear are the orders? i mean they do realize that recruits are dumb as rocks coming to french, do they explain/gesticulate the order or you have to guess?

how hard is this 500 words in 3 months thing? my language is based on latin so i guess it cant be that hard?
>>
>>32167381
Just work on lower body because running is the biggest thing, if you can do over 10 proper pull ups your upper should be okay enough

>>32167390
Not everything, they no longer force new identities unless you specifically say you want a new one, that hasn't been a thing for a long time, but if you use your real name it can cause problems if your country is hostile to France or if you try to join your home countries military

My best advice is to go and tell them straight you want to be there, that your life is shit and you don't want to go back to it because you need the second chance, they care more about whether you can be molded into the traditions and culture of the Legion than they do if you come stacked, wrapped and ready to ship, i.e. they want Legionnaires and not lone wolves, the Legion is one despite being many, you must act as one

>>32167425
These days they generally have one guy who yells orders in French and one who yells those same orders immediately after in English, after the first couple weeks or days you are expected to know what you're being told to do though so remember the commands
>>
>>32166936
Alright? I was under the impression that it didn't have any medical problems associated with it. i.e. the noise from cracking knuckles or other joints.
>>32167211
That makes a bit more sense.
>>
>>32167468

What is the current attitude towards prior service guys, specifically combat veterans? I've read everything from it being a great help, to it being a detracting factor, to not making any difference.
>>
>>32167425
>how clear are the orders? i mean they do realize that recruits are dumb as rocks

I don't know how they manage to do such a miracle but it works since 1831...
>>
>>32166065
Do it

>get out
>learn to speak fag-somalian-arab language
>funs
>shoot ackbars in Mosul

Have fun anon
>>
>>32167502
They want experienced guys but they don't need a whole lot of them, it depends on whether you have added skills you could train others with, how your personality interview goes, your IQ test, all kinds of factors, I really can't explain it other than it being a blessing and curse
>>
>>32167546

Sounds good. Like I said earlier I'm planning on bringing the CECAP certificate, my USMC Assault Leadership course certificate, and my DD214 with me. I got a 98 (out of 99) on my ASVAB test when I entered the US military so I'm pretty confident about the IQ tests. Hopefully I can prove my worth to them during selection.

I'm going out for a run, thanks for answering all my questions man. I'll ask to see Allen at De Nogent in January. I'll be the American wearing an Arsenal cap with the numbers "0351" tattooed on his Bicep. Sometime around the 22nd-24th
>>
>>32167192
>spec ops-like force
The Legion isn't much different from the French regular army, just more disciplined but not anywhere near specops or significantly stronger training.

>>32166065
OP, you said you were in East Europe. If your country has conscription then you're in luck, that previous experience will help determine whether you'd like it there or not. If not, then you'll have the possibility of regretting it. I'm thinking of joining after my military service in Finland.
>>
>>32167468
basically running and such?
also glad to know they do shout them in english until you get to learn the commands
>>32167633
im Romanian, conscription was taken out...tho i love military life(i come from a military family)
>>
>>32167723
Yes, running is the most important, especially for western people as Americans and European people seem to fail the most at running

They may shout the orders in English or if there's an established Legionnaire around who knows your native language they might pair you with them for a short orientation or have them stay near you
>>
>>32167909
like what are the distances you need to cover? and the time ofc
also very nice that they do that,so they help you a bit to understand and learn french
>>
We should do a png/pdf file with all the tips, considering how often FFL threads come up on /k/.

>>32166065
>Im young and strong but i have a bit of problem with running since my stamina is a bit shit (most i ran was 8km in around 50 minutes)
Train (and learn french) a lot beforehand. You'll be busy enough in training without he need to catch up.
Do push yourself. I don't think your current running performance is even sufficient for the french navy or airforce. And by push yourself I mean get a good training schedule and respect it. Training to the point of exhaustion is counterproductive.

>How's the food
Insufficient during basic, very good during active duty (it depends on the cook, of course, but most are wizards)

>do they take good care of your health
not during the selection process. Otherwise, yes. Idk about the medical services of other armies, but I don't think anybody but the worst shitholes lets soldiers untreated, it's a waste of money.

Though none of the former legionnaires I know have PTSD, >>32166838 has a point, they do otfen come fucked up. It doesn't prevent them from being great buddies and living a decent life, but

>>32167633
If you want to and have the abilities, you can join a special forces unit in the legion, like DINOPS (offensive sapper frogmen), or switch to another regiment.
>>
>>32168015
got any idea for a running/stamina schedule or should i go ask /fit/ for that?
>>
>>32168041
I'd go to a jogging or musculation club near home and ask for one (if the tenants are qualified in the country you currently are in.)
>>
>>32168065
hard time since im near innawoods but ill see what i can do...thanks tho
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.