[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bpg/ Black Powder General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 23

File: Glock.jpg (115KB, 900x484px) Image search: [Google]
Glock.jpg
115KB, 900x484px
> pressure curves edition

Welcome to /bpg/, discuss all things black powder, stay civil, provide sources, and enjoy the thread.

> Lol you're just a bunch of felons
Many of us are yuropoors, the others are just old west enthusiasts. And maybe one or two felons. But not much.

> Just get a glawk bro, they never jam bro!
Just get a cowboy revolver dude, chicks dig it.
>>
>>32164609

I'll start.

I'm considering buying a stainless Sheriff sized 1858 (Pic much related) for occasionnal CC, I'm familiar with the way cylinders should be loaded for long storages, but I keep hearing about nail polish on the end of blast caps to secure them and prevent moisture to get in, is this a meme?
Isn't the residue a pain in the back to remove once you've shot the caps?

Also I've been told that stainless frames provided many advantages when shooting BP, such as less corrosion, easier to clean, is any of this true?
>>
File: 1858 sheriff.jpg (94KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
1858 sheriff.jpg
94KB, 880x660px
>>32164617

dumbfuck, I forgot the pic
>>
File: IMG_0764.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0764.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>32164617
I can't confirm anything about stainless frames, but if you've never had the pleasure of owning an 1858 they're fantastic.
Pic related was my project gun. Wanted a cross between a tactical and old west style of pistol.
>>
>>32164609
>Many of us are yuropoors
most europoors cuntries don't differentiate between BP and SP weapons.
>>
>>32164609
pls post pics of those barrel-less "pepperbox" conversions.
>>
>>32164767

Depends, Poland, France and some others do. Also due to shengen it's fuck easy to get one in a free country near you.

But you've got a point though. Laws may vary throughout Europe.
>>
>>32164774
why would I risk 2 years prison, permanent felon record and life long weapons ban in my particular case for a 5 shot revolver? I'd rather get a yugoslav AK, boils down to the same shit in case I'm found out, at least I'd have a real gun though.
>>
>>32164762

Nice piece, I really like the short frames, also how do you maintain the cylinder rod in place since the reloading lever is gone?
And what kind of paintjob is that?

Also I own a full size 1858 pietta, but it's too unwieldy and bulky for anything but OC. Hence the Sheriff sized.
But great guns indeed, also I would've a spare cylinder so here's that.

>>32164787

Because we do not live in some michael bay fantasy and because AK are fuck hard to get your hand son. Only the people who actually need one get one, at least in westerne europe.
But i'm ready to hear you speak about hypothetical belgian or whatever gun runners, just let me tell you, that's bullshit. At least if you're not involved in those kind of shady business.

Source: I lived in shit parts of major european cities, and never even seen a gun. All the drugs you want yes, stolen cars yes, and manners and sorts of mobiles phones ye, but gun? No, because guns are hard to get, and everyone wants one.
>>
>>32164814
>Because we do not live in some michael bay fantasy

Yes, realty is much worse.

>and because AK are fuck hard to get your hands on.

Not according to what the media says. Early this year a "right wing extremist" killed 2 and injured 11 with illegally owned yugo-AKs.

>Only the people who actually need one get one, at least in westerne europe.

>you don't need....

>But i'm ready to hear you speak about hypothetical belgian or whatever gun runners, just let me tell you, that's bullshit. At least if you're not involved in those kind of shady business.

ok

>Source: I lived in shit parts of major european cities, and never even seen a gun. All the drugs you want yes, stolen cars yes, and manners and sorts of mobiles phones ye, but gun? No, because guns are hard to get, and everyone wants one.

ok
>>
>>32164814
It isn't pictured but I made a spring loaded latch that held it in place. Just put it where the ramming lever used to be.
As for CC, the sheriff's model still won't be easy. Honestly even after I cut down the barre almost 6 inches from the original it barely became an option to CC.
>>
>>32164836
>Yes, realty is much worse.

Poor thing

> Not according to what the media says

Bullshit then. One fellow out of a 300 millions+ continent is quite few imho. The others are "professionnal" thugs with networks you can't access unless you're one of them.

>you don't need....

Can you into reading comprehension? I meant that only the people I quoted before are able to get one.
>>
File: abeline.jpg (24KB, 480x286px) Image search: [Google]
abeline.jpg
24KB, 480x286px
>>32164814
Also have you ever considered making your own BP derringer of some sort?
Seems to me if I lived in a nogunz europoor country I'd try and make10-20 little pocket guns and bury them in a field.
>>
File: bataclan.png (643KB, 600x798px) Image search: [Google]
bataclan.png
643KB, 600x798px
>>32164857
>Poor thing
then the the fuck off this board you scumbag, we are all innawoods fetishist autists here. yes, reality is worse. because it's REAL. France doesn't allow crime stats collection beased on race, France doesn't even recognize race as a real thing. fuck off.
>>
Why do Remingtons feel so much worse in the hand then Colts? The top strap and quickly removable cylinder is great but it just feels like shit, same for 1875s compared to SAAs.
>>
>>32164844
>>32164859

Well I come from the cold, so it's quite easy to CC anything up to a deagle, given that the barrel does not poke from your jacket when you sit or else. And that's where the problem is for me.
Also derringers are tempting, but only one-two shots of .36 is too few for me to justify carrying it around and trusting my life with it. But it's just me.

>>32164866

what does this have to do with anything retardo? If you feel persecuted why don't you go cry and try to get some affirmative action?

No? Why don't you grow some balls then?
>>
>>32164868
Honestly I've never understood why people felt that way about the remingtons. I've always felt (for one handed shooting) They felt even better than a colt.
>>
This thread is why you Eurocucks don't deserve guns, you guys can't even post a thread among yourselves without one of you guys literally hating on one another for exercising a human right to self defense.

Come here manly Euros, leave the cucks to themselves.
>>
>>32164881

don't worry ameribro, there's dicks everywhere, I don't have to remind you I guess.
Also I suspect he's a secret SJW / euro cop trying to prevent us from discussin such things. Would really not surprise me.
>>
>>32164875
>one-two shots of .36 is too few
Understandable. For me it'd boil down to "I have a gun, I'm already better armed than 99% of people here"
I've never been one to care about ammo capacity or caliber. For me I want the most concealable gun possible. Getting exposed is scarier to me than having to use my gun.
>>
>>32164881
The cucks don't deserve guns, but the good ones do.
I went to Spain earlier this year right when the Orlando gay club shooting happened. Every single eurocuck hounded me about my country and guns. They're fucking jokes.
>>
>>32164902
>They're fucking jokes.
No, they are deadly serious. They are killing us and it's not a slow process.
>>
>>32164887

Would not surprise me either my man, there's a lot of mentally damaged individuals with access to computers, and literal paid Government shills. To be completely honest though, I shouldn't be talking, I live in Commiefornia HAHAHA, Los Angeles to be exact.

But I still carry my Glock and 2 spare mags with me everyday, I've been in situations three times here in my life, where I was close to being stabbed or shot by thugs and gangsters.

I'll be dammed if I let some politicians dictate my safety, or lack of therefore. Better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by six. Stay safe friend. You carry the fuck out of your black powder if you have to. I would love to hear that Ahmed got his shit pushed in by a blackpowder revolver and a fellow kommando saved the day.
>>
>>32164868

Never shot a Colt but I admit that the removable cylinder and the top strap IS why I chose a remington. Btw is the open frame really an issue? Does modern mettalurgy solved this issue?

>>32164890

> I have a gun, I'm already better armed than 99% of people here

True, but being the autist I am, I keep in mind that sand enriched gentlemens may roam the city and that I may or may not be unexpectedly placed in their presence.

But the concealement part is damn true. I'm still considering getting a pepperbox. It's just that they're fuck ugly.
>>
>>32164910
>I'll be dammed if I let some politicians dictate my safety, or lack of therefore

This, precisely.

If you have a life, you've got the right to defend it.
This statement alone triggers 90% of my fellow yurofags. what can I say, traumatised cultures are traumatised. But things are changing.
>>
>>32164912

Sometimes when I really need to conceal carry because I can't afford to let cucks see that I am carrying a gun, I'll switch from my glock to a tiny shitty ugly little gun.

I hate carrying it, but hey, better than nothing.
>>
File: tovarisch get the Tokarev.jpg (40KB, 590x401px) Image search: [Google]
tovarisch get the Tokarev.jpg
40KB, 590x401px
>>32164912
>I'm still considering getting a pepperbox. It's just that they're fuck ugly.
>>
>>32164921
>But things are changing.
where exactly do you see that? 2m sandniggers in Germany, tens of thousands of recorded crimes and Merkel is running for a fourth term.
>>
>>32164751
Oh look! Somebody said glock sucks on another thread!

If you hurry you can shitpost there!
>>
>>32164910
Fellow Angelino here. I try and practice the same principle, but sadly I'm under 21 so no handguns.
Hopefully by then I'll have moved to a CC friendly state and won't have to fear being caught for illegally carrying a gun.
>>
>>32164933

That's precisely why things are changing, peoples are tired of all the bullshitting, see the threat their lifestyle is facing, due to the migrants but also the new security laws, denying the last bit of freedom we still had for the sake of a yet to be seen security. From right to sensed lefties. SJW will be the first to die, and it'll be ok.

I discussed with a gun retailer recently, he told me that even deactivated guns sales sky rocketed. many BP models are hard to find or price gauged. So that's why I think, and hope, it's changing.
>>
>>32164912
Persoanlly I love pepperboxes, They have some kind of brutish utilitarian appeal that makes me feel like a gruff 49er panning for gold.
>>
>>32164922
Ugly has no place in consideration for what's best to carry.
If you like the looks of your CC gun, good on you. But I'd rather have my best option be hideous then settle for a POS that's sexy.
>>
>>32164954
>So that's why I think, and hope, it's changing.

Hope all you want. To fix this shit we need to deport 2m and then some because we already had turkish, lebanese, morokkan etc. shitbags who were doing all this long before it became mainstream under Merkel. mark my words: NOTHING WILL HAPPEN! gun sales skyrocketing means shit.
>>
>>32164960

That's what he was saying I think, but he's still right, it's hard to go and buy and ugly gun, however usefull it may prove.

I'll probably get this peperbox, but my ass is gonna be in a horrid pain for a while.
Anyone know if peperbox cylinders are standard 1858's?
>>
>>32164979

Well obviously, such deportaiton will never happen. Race and class confrontation will happen more and more often though, until it comes to civil war, call yuropoors cucks all you want but they still have the bloodiest combined record for wars and killings. And most are really much willing to keep filling said record.

All it need is some determinated leader, or a real hapenning, of which sort I do not know.
>>
>>32164946

You feel my struggle man, hell, my girlfriend is a Filipina nurse, so I moved to her hospital since they have residency apartments for Dr's and Nurses there, and that happens to be in East Los Angeles, they killed a cop a few blocks from my house a month ago.

Not to mention all the WANTED INFORMATION ON MURDER $5,000 DOLLAR REWARD posters that litter the city.

I am not much older than you anon, I am 23, I started carrying the moment I bought my first glock. It felt so weird, so illegal... but so right. Just make sure you get a quality holster and carry belt if you choose to do so.

In summer I pocket carry a small revolver or auto.
>>
>>32164980
I've never seen an 1858 fitted to be a pepperbox.
Is that something more common in Europe?
I know Pietta makes an 1851 colt as a pepperbox. Kinda want one
>>
>>32164997
One can only dream anon, I'd drop everything here in Murrica and go help you guys fight back for our peoples ancestral land.
>>
>>32164960
I know it doesn't, which is why I carry it, even if I don't want to :)

Like not divorcing my ugly bitchy wife, I keep her, because she makes all the money
>>
>>32165010
Fuck man yeah I know LA is pretty much dicey wherever there isn't enough money.
Where I am fucking cunts shoot up in-n-outs and houses everytime the football team wins.
Settled on carrying a large auto knife and felt the same thing.
Everything about my possession of the knife felt wrong and right.
Don't get caught though man
>>
>>32164997
>Well obviously, such deportaiton will never happen.

ergo we already lost.

>Race and class confrontation will happen more and more often though, until it comes to civil war,

which the US is a model example off and their analogue of our/my side lost.

>call yuropoors cucks all you want but they still have the bloodiest combined record for wars and killings.

Only when it comes to killing other euros.

>And most are really much willing to keep filling said record.

what?

>All it need is some determinated leader, or a real hapenning, of which sort I do not know.

lol.
>>
>>32165021

If you want to feel comfortable with your knife choice, you can also go via the route of a folder with a wave opening feature.

Completely legal regardless of length.
>>
>>32165039
Yeah I have a waved endura. It's cool but I wanted a solid 4 inches of "fuck you" in my pocket besides my dick, so I picked a microtech halo.
>>
File: bp.jpg (75KB, 1000x497px) Image search: [Google]
bp.jpg
75KB, 1000x497px
>>32164609
This thread needs to get back to actual black powder.
>>
>>32165051

Fucking nice man, I am currently looking into a Microtech, I feel you haha, I carry a Push Dagger along with my CCW.

I carry most of the time everywhere I go, I am just forced to dress nicely, and drive safely, and if I know I am going to a place where there's going to be metal detectors and shit like that, I obviously leave it in the car or at home all together.

But I live a pretty calm life, so I usually just carry when I go to the store, at my work which doesn't involve human interaction, or when I go out on a date at night.
>>
>>32165030

So what are your propositions?
>>
>>32165063

LOL sorry anon, well I actually have a black powder question here.

So I have many 357 magnums and 38 specials, now, from what I understand, 38 specials were originally designed to use black powder, correct? If that's the case, then can I load black powder 38 specials in my 357/38 special guns?
>>
>>32165067
Shills don't have any, their job is to get you to quit the good fight.
>>
>>32165064
Yeah places where I'm more likely to get caught are usually the only reasons why I dont carry my microtech. But I'm starting to consider buying a small BP derringer and ccing that until I'm 21.
>>32165063
Sorry this thread has gone off the rails a bit and I know I haven't helped.
>>
>>32165011

My mistake I presumed those were the 1858 frame, upon examination it appears that i'm a retard and that they're indeed colts.

Anyone with feedback on those? I imagine that precision is shit but what about the concealable part? Any flaw (that could be blamed even to a 150 years old gun)?
>>
>>32165072
Yeah man. You can load any revolver cartridge with BP and shoot it out of a modern gun.
Think of it like backwards compatibility. Unlike a semi auto you dont bank on the right pressures and recoil to operate the gun. It's all mechanical
>>
File: every day in france.gif (4MB, 332x232px) Image search: [Google]
every day in france.gif
4MB, 332x232px
>>32165067
>So what are your propositions?
sorry, I don't have any. I'm just saying, our countries will devolve into Chicongo tier shitholes.
>>
File: brass1851snub.jpg (185KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
brass1851snub.jpg
185KB, 720x540px
>>32165082
They seem bulky but the shorter size would probably make it at the lower end of being able to carry.
I'd go for something like an 1858 and chop the barrel like pick related, then throw some thunderer grips on.
>>
>>32165089

Thanks for letting me know, I should probably learn how to reload some BP .38's, I heard they do a number on your gun though, am I correct?
>>
>>32165113
It'll dirty them up but It shouldn't damage the gun.
The pressure curve for a BP 38 load is way below the rating for the modern frame.
For example if you put smokeless in a BP revolver it would grenade on you because the frame of the pistol is not meant for the pressure it produces.
However the modern frame can handle BP all day because it is so low pressure.
>>
>>32165113

Just clean it up thoroughly when you're done, soapy water does the job well.

Damn, now i want to see some rapid fire double action BP .38
>>
>>32165110

I've seen similar sized models out of factory but my concern is, how do you reaload them, since the pushing rod is not on the frame?
Also this would meant that i'd have to settle for a .36 when all my tooling, trust and faith in better tomorrows is in .44
>>
>>32165160
They make 1851s and 1860s in .44 too. Also as for reloading, carry a stick.
>>
>>32165195
>They make 1851s and 1860s in .44 too

Not that I could find sadly, any brand to look for?
>>
>>32165214
Uberti makes a colt 1860 in .44 and pietta makes both 1851's and 1860s in .44
>>
i like this thread
>>
>>32165160
>how do you reaload them
This is why you get a Remington and spare cylinders.
>>
>>32164762

I remember your chopped and cerakoted 1858 from over a year ago. That thing is hard to forget.

Have you ever chronographed that thing?
>>
>>32165195
>>32165214
>>32165246
>.44 1851
End this meme immediately
.44 is for dragoons and Army pistols, .36 is for Navy pistols.
>>
Can I CC a pietta model 1851 navy .44?
I'm underage for CC and can't posses a handgun in Michigan where I go to school.
>>
File: brass.jpg (177KB, 1612x520px) Image search: [Google]
brass.jpg
177KB, 1612x520px
Just bought a Pietta 1858. It's my first bp gun and I'm still reading up on it (haven't shot it yet).
>>
>>32166070

No you can't fucking CC a firearm in Michigan under 21. You also need to fill out a BP waiver in that state. T. Former Detroiter. You don't understand local CCW ordinances nor do you likely possess the shooting prowess to use a single action smokewagon in any kind of defensive sense.

As for the actual thread, it's nice to see a BPG. I have a North American Arms .22 magnum Cap and Ball wheelgun on the way. Can't wait to start carrying it on the trail
>>
>>32164617
>nail polish on the end of blast caps to secure them

Seconded, I keep hearing this but I really wonder how it turns out in real life.
>>
File: cowboy guns.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy guns.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>32167330
Last BPG i was in an anon said he dripped candle wax on the caps. Seems it would be alot cleaner than nail polish.
>>
File: tmp_6849-1479927398140738495169.jpg (134KB, 1024x823px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6849-1479927398140738495169.jpg
134KB, 1024x823px
Anybody know places that ship to Michigan? Iirc, BP is exempt from peestol registry and 4473, but every place I see bars MI shipments. Is there a specific law against mail orders?
>>
>>32167505

I'm sorry, but that's not a pizza in your pic, it's a quiche.

Also, just drive to a less pussified state, acquire what you need with good old patriotic dollars, and drive back to your ome in the land of the free but not so much, and the braves but not to the point of standing against the ATF.

> Profit
>>
Question about ball-and-cap to cartridge conversions. Can someone confirm if those actually existed for the Colt 1855 revolving rifle? There's one featured in a certain Western, but I'm not sure if that was an actual thing or just a modern conversion so it could easily use modern blanks.
>>
>>32164609

recently i've seen the same pic of a blackpowder shotgun on /k/, like twice, itwas used as a meme but it got me thinking, does anyone have feedback with those?
it could provide quite the answer to burglars in pussified countries, it was a 20ga iirc
>>
>>32167378
How's that Heritage rough rider Jackwagon? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure
>>
I am a yesgunz (including a pistol) but I still hate the whole NICS check that feels like an eternity. If I walk into Walmart or cabelas, and take one of these to the register is it like buying a T shirt?
>>
>>32168278
It's like buying tobacco products. You just have to be 18.
>>
>>32168288
Sweet
>>
>>32166375
I've been shooting BP shotguns and revolvers since I was 12. My dad was a firearms collector and that's what he started me on.
On top of that, I said I cannot CC, but I also cannot posses a handgun in general because I'm under 21 and not a resident of the state.
However, blackpowder firearms are not firearms by federal law; and only classified by Michigan law IF, read IF they can be converted to cartridge shooters.
They can be carried regularly according to the state police office I called yesterday and not concealed.

fuck off with your pompous nigger shit.
>>
nobody here uses flint? i want a pirate looking pistol, anyone know any makers?
>>
>>32168598
i dont know of any state that doesnt classify them as real firearms if they are loaded and primed with caps
>>
>>32168616
You can legally concealed carry them in Texas without a permit. I've been doing it since I was 18.
You know jackshit, get off your horse.
>>
>>32168605
Most affordable repros are made in India. On the one hand, they're big and clubby and have a bowling-ball finish on them; authenticity Nazis generally sand them down and refinish them. On the other hand, the locks are hand forged and are great sparkers.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/
>>
>>32168668
>http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/
i have come across this site before when googling, are they pretty legit dealers? how is the quality on these? im assuming by your post these muskets and pistols are made in india? they look really nice in the pics
>>
File: ss1756rt.jpg (13KB, 471x201px) Image search: [Google]
ss1756rt.jpg
13KB, 471x201px
>>32168668>>32168723

holy shit i want this

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWess1756.shtml

these are all made to shoot actual lead balls right?
>>
>>32168723
Yes, they're fine.

When you decide you want to be anal and build your own super authentic one, try Sitting Fox or Track of the Wolf. Until then an Indian made one will do you.

>>32168734
Yep. They go bang.
>>
>>32168734
That's a bit late for the pirate era, but if that's what rocks your boat, hey. It's your bangstick.

TowW is also where you should go for shot and flints, BTW.
>>
>>32168777
i really like revolutionary war weaponry, thats why i picked that one out just now
>>
File: 1412817648365.gif (3MB, 241x241px) Image search: [Google]
1412817648365.gif
3MB, 241x241px
>>32164912
>sand enriched gentlemen

Gif semi related
>>
>have a1858

>trigger guard screw keeps unscrewing itself

>trigger guard gets all wobbly after each few shots
Is anyone having the same problem?

How do I fix this? New screw?

Main spring screw keeps unscrewing itself as well but at a much slower rate so it's not nearly as annoying.
>>
>>32169196
Make sure it's clean. If it keeps happening, loctite
>>
>>32164617
Acetone will remove nail polish.
>>
>>32169263
>Make sure it's clean
It's as clean as it gets believe me, I'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning and moderate when it comes to lubrication.

It seems that the screw is just a loose fit.

>loctite
Never tried it. It's not going to get stuck right?
>>
>>32165074
kek, you were proven right 5 min later.

>>32167674
Either keep to low pressure smokeless handloads or black powder, will kill things dead same as anything else.
>>
>>32164609
Bodeos, safe to use or collectors piece?
>>
>>32169532
Safe to use but load low depending how early it is.
>>
>>32164762
I'm very tempted to do that, how do you reload the cylinder and does the axis pin stay in place when firing.
>>
Fellow Euros are you ready for the new gun grab?
>>
>>32166015
>>
>>32165794
No, don't own a chrony.
Sadly I don't own that gun anymore. My brother accidentally destroyed it. Sucks because it was my first.
>>
>>32172307
>cheaper than flintlocks
Why is this a thing
It seems like the older the tech the more expensive the firearm
>>
>>32166375
How do you like the NAA cap and ball?
I've been looking to buy one for years but you can't find much online about them.
>>
>>32169436
No. loctite just reduces the amount of space in the threads for the screw to move around. It wont make it impossible to disassemble.
>>
>>32164609

the fuck happened here?
>>
>>32170752
Already answered that friendo, small spring loaded latch.
As for reloading you have to do it off the gun. But that's fine because this is a range toy.
>>
>>32172338
>Flintlocks are a niche market
Only reason why.
>>
>>32172404
:(
I just want to get a pair and duel my friend with wax bullets and protective gear
>>
>>32168108
I've got one too in .17hmr. It's decent for the money. I would recommend as a budget revolver.
>>
>>32172437
Sounds autistic but I'd try.
You can also buy two cheap single shot percussion guns and do the same thing
>>
>>32172512
Super autistic, but supposedly it was a non-medal event at the 1908 olympics.
I played with wax bullets out of my P99C and little badger last night using just primers shooting cardboard, it seems viable.

flintlocks have my heart desu
There's just something special about them
>>
>>32165160
>>32165195
>>32165777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQFANQ_h5c

Let Master Eastwood show you the gun-fu.
>>
File: 83-med 1858 Revolving Carbine.jpg (57KB, 2168x429px) Image search: [Google]
83-med 1858 Revolving Carbine.jpg
57KB, 2168x429px
>>32167578

Only seen them for Remington revolvers. Should work with their carbine.

http://www.scorrs.org/index.php?pg=forgotten
>>
File: The gun that sat the bull.jpg (337KB, 3209x1200px) Image search: [Google]
The gun that sat the bull.jpg
337KB, 3209x1200px
>>32172914

Indeed.

I noticed how nearly every western with cap and ball revolvers features them with cartridges cylinders. I'm aware that it's in order to shoot blanks but how common was it in the old west? Did such conversions often took place and with wich caliber?

Have Buffalo Bill's 1858 for your troubles.
>>
>>32173012

No idea on caliber but .44 got mentioned a lot. The shift to brass cased ammo got mainstreamed after the Civil War. Converted 1858 is cheaper or more cost effective than buying a new Peacemaker and can still use the old cylinders if you stray a little further from the supply chain.
>>
>>32173012

> To Charlie & Carrie. This old Remington revolver.
> I carried and used for many years in Indian Wars and Buffalo killing.
> And it never failed me.
> WF Cody Dec 13th 1906

> He killed fucking buffalos with it

The cylinder gap tells you enough about what this gun has been through.
He gave it to his gardener for his good work iirc.
>>
>>32172914

I can't see, is the hammer half cocked or not? How does he even does that, my cylinder refuses to pop out if I do not pull the hammer back at least a bit, same for putting it back, even if with some fumbling you can fit it without touching the hammer.

Is his gun modified? Is he just that fucking good?
>>
>>32172387
1:1 volumetric conversion of smokeless to BP
>>
>>32173156

Half cocked. Essentially on safe.

Then again, he is that good.
>>
>>32164609

Stainless is superior when it comes to cleaning your gun after each use, but also more expensive, and imho not making enough of a difference to justify it. but it's just me.
>>
>>32164762

dat cerakote tho

how much did it cost you? did you notice any improvement to the the cleaning part?

10/10 would win the west with
>>
>>32164617

Can't do it, pal. These old shits have no hammer safeties so you'll either have to

>rest the hammer on safety notches found in reproductions
>load 5, hammer on empty chamber
>>
>>32176568
Not even cerakote lmao. It was brown elks aluma-hyde
It was actually easier to clean. It only cost around $30 to get it done. Might do it again someday
>>
are inlines allowed in the sekret black powder circlejerk?
>>
>>32177234

everyone is, as long as it stays smokey and dirty.
>>
>>32177234
Only if you chopped it and have a kydex holster for it.
>>
>>32172391
>As for reloading you have to do it off the gun.
What's stopping you from just carrying the loading lever and putting it back in when you need to reload?
>>
>>32164609
I'm a 19 year old Kommiefornian wanting to defend myself but I'm unfamiliar with the law on black powder concealed carry. I heard they don't count as guns but as "weapons" but I have no idea. I'd like to carry a pepperbox revolver so Jamal won't steal my car but I don't want to get raped by the police if they find it.
>>
>>32177866
If the cops find it or you have to use it you will be charged the same as if it was a modern gun.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 1024x576px
>>32177993
What a shame, guess I'll stay cucked until I'm 21
>>
>>32178608
If you live in a high risk area then it is always better to be judged by 12 than carried by six as they say
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nMHCQitZ4
r8 my sik clouds my dudes
>>
>>32164617
Never had a problem with moisture that would make me need to put nail polish on or otherwise waterproof the caps. If you did try this, you'd have to paint some onto the nipple itself, which would probably clog up crap fast.

Stainless isn't historically accurate (and is a very VISIBLE historical inaccuracy), if that matters to you, but sure, it would help with cleanup. I don't find cleanup to be so bad, I enjoy it in fact as part of the ritual.

Corrosion isn't a big problem if you just treat the gun right. Shoot it, clean it, polish it up with a bit of bore butter, reload.

What you probably do want to avoid are brass frames. They aren't as strong and tend to "stretch" a little in the frame, leading to all sorts of problems. I do have a brass framed .44 Colt 1860 replica by CVA, it's had hundreds of rounds through it at 20-30 grains of powder with no problems, but I wouldn't give it more than that without being concerned about damage.
>>
>>32164910
I of course would never want to have to use a weapon against a fellow human being, but I do believe it may assist my emotional recovery to know that if I had to use lethal force I did so with a Colt 1860 or Remington 1858 black powder revolver.

Just seems more respectful of the poor SOB that I had to defend myself against to know that the holes in him are essentially handmade, lovingly crafted, linear ballistic dedications to his memory. So much more romantic than a random FMJ target load or an overmarketed hyperexpanding HP.
>>
>>32179640
I mean, whatever helps you cope but don't actually mention that in front of a jury.
>>
>>32165214
I have a Pietta Remington 1858 from Cabela's, think I paid about $250 for it on sale. Brass frames are about $50 less, but the steel frame is worth it. I didn't do stainless and I didn't do the "target" model which just has better sights. The Colt 1860 and Remington 1858, and their clones, tend to point better than most guns you'll shoot anyway.
>>
File: trre.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
trre.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>32179640
>more romantic
>>
>>32179710
Shoving hot lead deep into a man is about as close as any man can get to another.
>>
>>32179766
Lead is lead though.

If you want to be romantic shoot him in the ass with scented wax bullets or something.
>>
File: pistola.jpg (188KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pistola.jpg
188KB, 640x480px
as a guy living in Mexifornia let me tell you what I and a few others on /k/ think about black powder revolvers as home defense

>only 10 round capacity limit
might as well go for a lethal revolver if you cant carry 10+ rounds of 9mm. saying this as a 9mm fan.
>no FFL, mailed to your door still
until the suerenos start using black powder pistols to hold up wells fargo stagecoaches rather than stolen guns like every other dark skinned person in america, should remain this way for a while my felonious friends.
>under 200$
well then why not
>.44 cal ammo available and powder is still pretty cheap
you can be the only guy at the range wearing a painters mask for all the smoke

I mean I have a mossy 500 for HD and a 1911 for the bedside dresser. but I wouldnt feel at all disadvantaged if that magically turned into a revolver overnight.

my biggest problem was with all the smoke and follow up shots and the gun misfiring or powder getting wet
but apparently properly loaded, with some crisco or whatever over the cylinder these things fire loads that have been loaded years ago. oh and smokeless powder really isn't that bad either.
>>
wait yuro's can order BP pistols in the mail? or is that country by country?

like can a EU citizen get them delivered to the door?

>kebab removal becomes the OK corral all over yurop
>>
Black powder handguns fire balls, and the barrels aren't rifled, right?

Does the accuracy suffer as a result of that?
>>
>>32183127
The barrels are rifled. They invented rifling far before they invented metallic cartridges.
>>
>>32183260
But they do fire lead balls? How does that shape impact the projectiles' flight and accuracy?

Actually, do you know of a good resource where I can read up on the different varieties of what are considered black powder firearms? All I've really heard of are cap and ball revolvers.
>>
File: feel_real.png (30KB, 122x138px) Image search: [Google]
feel_real.png
30KB, 122x138px
I've kinda fallen for the 1851 Navy Colt and I actually saw one (.44, unfortunately) in a pawn shop near me. It was across state lines (Texas) but since it doesn't require an FFL am I allowed to purchase it?
>>
>>32173180

So to avoid this you do what?
>>
>>32184441
Just not be a complete retard.
>>
>>32184441
>Does it look like black powder
>I dunno
>light up a little on the table
Pretty much >>32184461
>>
>>32184422
If it can't take metallic cartridges, the gubbermint doesn't consider it a gun.
>>
>>32183884
I do not really have the answer you're asking for, but be advised that a .44 round ball shot from a BP revolver with let's say 32 grains of BP will achieve quite a superior accuracy and arguably penetration, when compared to your average wonder nine.

>>32184441
Didn't you see the OP mentionning "pressure curves edition"?

Because that's the only thing you'd have to worry about honestly. And since BP and SP will never have the same pressure curves you can forget this idea.

> What if I don't?

OP pic related
>>
>innaMichigan
>try to shoot my 50 cal Hawken Rifle
>use 3F Pyrodex as both priming and main charge powder
>works terribly, I had to use a thin stick to shove powder into the touchhole to get it to go off
>fire two shots total that day
>go to Bass Pro Shops looking for different powder (I will use the 3F for my Navy)
>all they have is more synthetic 3F
>I want 4F and 2F goex or Swiss
>I want real black powder
So where do y'all buy your powder?
>>
>>32177866
california law says black powder guns arent considered firearms until they are loaded and primed. so you would be susceptible to illegal carrying weapons charges if you were carrying it in a useful manner, ie loaded.
>>
File: 1477613485710.jpg (97KB, 400x587px) Image search: [Google]
1477613485710.jpg
97KB, 400x587px
>>32179640
>>
>>32185812
try aliant mz. or just suck it up and go on a quest for real bp

with the hawken, are you tapping your rifle to the right after pouring down the powder to get it to fall into the priming channel? turn the rifle butt to an angle and tap your barrel with your hand or tap the rifle against your shoe to make sure the powder falls into the priming channel
>>
>>32172982
Belated thanks
>>
>>32179504

> you'd have to paint some onto the nipple itself, which would probably clog up crap fast.

Yeah that's also what I gathered, so I'd do best to left them alone. I'm already using N°10 caps which are the tightest, afaik.

> Stainless isn't historically accurate (and is a very VISIBLE historical inaccuracy), if that matters to you

It doesn't. I already own a black steel full size 1858 which I love. The stainless one is more about the looks, which I find excellent.

> I don't find cleanup to be so bad, I enjoy it in fact as part of the ritual.

Seconded, but as it would be a carry gat I'd rather keeps things simple for this one.

> What you probably do want to avoid are brass frames.

Yup, and moreover it seems to me that brass sucks up any particule of dirt, which makes it quite a pain in the ass to clean. I only have a brass trigger guard on my 1858 and it's the part showing the more fouling already. Not that I give a fuck.

Also I keep hearing about Bore butter, care to enligh me? I usually sprayed the barrel with WD40 to chase residual water when I was done, then a good dry. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>32185812
>So where do y'all buy your powder?

On the internet, but am considering crafting my own since all the components can be bought online for a quarter of the price. I also might move on to replace some if not all of the components with home crafted ones.
It's really not that hard once you're equipped and know what you're doing.
>>
>>32164609
I kind of want to get a muzzle loading rifle and or pistol. I know percussion cap is easier and that flintlock are somewhat tempermental.

What would you suggest for someone that has only shot modern guns to get in to muzzle loading?
>>
>>32186130
Bore butter is an organic clp for black powder. It works well and smells minty fresh, no shit. IIRC, during the resurgence of interest in bl back in the 70s, peeps started to realize that modern synthetic clp reacted badly with bp, causing grit, grime, rust and other malfunctions, so some genius mountain man created the holy solution of bore butter. A lot of old school bp fags even scoop that shit into the end of every loaded chamber to reduce the potential for a chainfire sitch. Now go pop some caps, enlightened one.
>>
>>32186576
caplock revolver is a great intro
>>
I've been watching Westworld, and if any of you have you've probably had the same idea I had.

How difficult would it be to machine a replacement cylinder for a Lemat Revolver that would take cartridge bullets and modern shotgun shells, while keeping the original guns rough size and aesthetic and without just blowing up the gun in my hand?

I figure you'd need two new barrels and a new cylinder so the gas seal and shotgun shell don't blow shit up, but at that point you might as well make a new everything else.
>>
>>32187720
Second for this.
>>
>>32187720
Ok Ed Harris...
>>
>>32187868
>>32187728
>>32187720
>tfw you read spoilers on TVTropes accidentally
How the fuck did they know what's going to happen in an episode that ISN'T FUCKING OUT YET
>>
File: 1474816594398.jpg (168KB, 776x767px) Image search: [Google]
1474816594398.jpg
168KB, 776x767px
>>32167505
Asking this question again
>>32167570
>Drive to another state
I'm looking at online because nobody near me sells BP, and the time required to drive to the nearest Cabelas isn't time that I have. Driving to another state is also out of the equation for that same reason.
>>
>>32187720

would you recommend watching it? Was considering but seemed normie as fuck
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.