[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /k/ tell me about the AS-12 Losharik

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: Losharik_Delta3.jpg (119KB, 940x536px) Image search: [Google]
Losharik_Delta3.jpg
119KB, 940x536px
And why the hell have the Russians spent so much money in a small fleet of 1/2 dozen or so ultra-deep diving small nuclear submarines and the complex "mothership" to carry them.

What sort of Project Azorian-tier shit have they been up to over the past couple decades that could justify such an investment?
>>
>>32162216
Atlantis missile crisis when?
>>
>>32162216

Have they though?
>>
>>32162216
deep sea cable tapping and or cutting.
>>
>>32162216
You could've asked in russiadefence and get a factually correct answer instead of asking here and getting a propaganda laced answer from Americans.
>>
File: A.gif (666KB, 300x340px) Image search: [Google]
A.gif
666KB, 300x340px
>>32164080
>You could've asked in russiadefence
And have to read through 6 pages of confused rambling from the mentally deranged?
You'd be better off asking /b/.
>>
>>32162216

ruskie version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_submarine_NR-1
>>
>>32164109
>mentally deranged
No that's just GarryB.

When mp.net closed, most tried out russiadefense. Ie berkut, tr1, artjohm and others. They left because of shit like garryb.
>>
>>32164263
In terms of size, diving depth, endurance, and just about every other metric, comparing the Paltuses and the Losharik to the NR-1 are like comparing a Citation X to a Skyline.
>>
>>32164298
>60s vs 80s

US just uses rpvs now
>>
They've been fighting the deep ones for decades.

The mother ships transport the parasight subs to deep underwater wealds and deliver Russian Marines to sunken temples of oblivion to combat an ancient level they awoke when K-141 encroached upon their domain, awoke them, and detonated it's payload to prevent them from coming to the surface.
>>
>>32164270
omg, GarryB is still around, I was wondering what happened to him after he left airforcesmonthly
>>
>>32162216

capitalism baby
>>
>>32164525
>GarryB
Who?
>>
>>32164763
This insaine (NZ?) guy who posts on various military forums. Pretty much a turbo vatnik. and i've been called a vatnik here before, but he takes it to another level.
>>
>>32162216
Say goodbye to your cables and Internets during D day. Also stealing space satellites that sunk into ocean, for scientific purposes.
>>
>>32165092
I could see the missile /satellite parts recovery, and I more or less assumed that some combo of the Patch/Jimmy Carter and the X-Ray/Paltus/Losharik have rigged up ALL undersea communication lines with D-day Killswitch.

But I just have a hunch that they're using Losharik etc for something even more than that...
>>
>>32162216

Well, I'm sure the idea is that during a war, the United States (or whoever the opposition is) would have to spend disproportionate resources trying to find this one little submarine. It's dangerous enough that you can't ignore it, but at the same time it is really hard to take out because of how deep it swims.
>>
>>32166470
But to the best of my knowledge, Losharik is completely unarmed. Supposedly.

One look at the Russian business with self-contained nuclear power modules for placement on the seafloor, along with shit like their city-killer torpedo (a concept that they've toyed with since the 50s), makes me think that Losharik, etc, have been designed around some sort of seafloor-based weapons system.

Furthermore, the way their mothership subs all carry their payloads slung under their bellies means that they could potentially put to sea with some sort of seafloor-based weapons system slung underneath that would go completely unnoticed by satellites (just like how the Glomar Explorer transferred her recovery claw from HMB-1 underwater so nobody could see what clementine actually was).

If the oil industry can maintain complex wellhead hardware on the seafloor 1-2 miles down and keep it functional for decades at the time, there's no reason why you couldn't do the same with a launcher containing a half-dozen SLBM's or a couple city-killer torpedoes, and drop it on the continental shelf <500 miles off the coast of the US or Europe to allow you to carry out a lightning-quick decapitating strike that would come so quickly that it might as well be un-interceptable.
>>
>>32166719
The problem with this is the US has been tracking the soviets for decades, and would catch wind of such a underwater facility very fast.
>>
Depth charges only go so low, the lower you are on the sea bed the more of a tactical advantage you have over other subs, especially if you're a recon/scout sub.

ruskies r smart man.
>>
>>32166719
it's not a city killer torpedo you dumb fuck, it's a aircraft carrier killer torpedo.

you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>32166762
Yeah, and I can imagine that a Yankee or Delta conversion would hardly be quiet, either.

Though perhaps the Losharik and the Paltus's depth capabilities are intended to allow them to slip through thermal layers and depths where SOSUS has more trouble detecting them. If whales are any indication, the propagation of noise underwater has everything to do with the depth that it's coming from.
>>
>>32166810
>Implying that nuclear weapons haven't been given the ability to hit multiple kinds of targets

One look at the Yankee Sidecar conversion will tell you that the Russians are all about skirting treaties by building non-ballistic weapons systems that are allegedly designe to kill carriers but are really meant to kill cities.

Just as a single Oscar-class boat has the potential to push the entire Bos-Wash megalopolis's collective shit in with its nuclear-tipped Granits, you can bet your ass that every other nuclear capable "anti-cbg" weapons system that the Russians have built also has the potential to be used as a second strike, or possibly even a decapitating strike weapon.
>>
Could someone explain to me why the fuck Russia has kept operating diesel-electric submarines? I'm no expert, but that just sounds dumb.
>>
>>32166883
Regulations about nuclear vessels passing through the Bosporus, iirc. It's the same reason why all their carriers and most of their destroyers/cruisers were non-nuclear, since otherwise it would mean that any Ukraine/Crimea-built or based ship would be trapped in the Black Sea.

The Kilos also make perfect sense for use in the Mediterranean, where nuclear ANYTHING is honestly overkill.
>>
>>32166883

Because the Baltic is really shallow- generally too shallow for operating a lot of nuke subs so SSKs generally rule the roost, And no part of that sea is like over 300 nautical miles plus away from land. Ditto w/ the Black Sea.
>>
Seems to be the best thread for this. Can anyone redpill me on M3-54 and M3-14, and all the different versions, platforms, and domestic/import versions? I'm having trouble keeping track of which missile does what.
>>
>>32166931
>>32166943
Thanks, Anons. Now I know.
>>
File: kalibr.jpg (292KB, 1151x767px) Image search: [Google]
kalibr.jpg
292KB, 1151x767px
>>32166995
Here's the basic wrap. 3M54 is your typical Russian supersonic anti-ship missile, it is a further development of early 90s 3M51 Alfa project. 3M14 is a long range subsonic land attack cruise missile like Kh-55 or Tomahawk, it is a further development of late Soviet 3M10 submarine- and land-based missile, direct contemporary American counterparts of which were UGM-109 and BGM-109G. 91R is an anti-submarine missile replacing in role Soviet RPK-2/3/6/7/9 systems.
All said missiles have surface- and submarine-launched variants, as well as variants for training. They are offered for export, albeit in severely handicapped versions due to arms trade treaties and regulations.
>>
>>32169712
Awesome, thanks. One more question, what about the air-launched variant?
>>
File: su-30 with oniks.jpg (39KB, 750x503px) Image search: [Google]
su-30 with oniks.jpg
39KB, 750x503px
>>32169821
Kh-55 has already evolved into Kh-101. As for the air-launched anti-ship Kalibr, as far as I am aware it is discussed. There's air-launched Oniks though.
>>
>>32170032
3M-54AE, or Club-A, says Wikipedia.

I didn't know P-800 could be air-launched, that's neat.
>>
File: su-30mki with brahmos.jpg (201KB, 1600x868px) Image search: [Google]
su-30mki with brahmos.jpg
201KB, 1600x868px
>>32170088
I know, but it's not operational, they just showed it on some exhibitions.
>I didn't know P-800 could be air-launched
So can BrahMos, and then there's a smaller BrahMos-M variant. Not sure how is it going now, didn't head about it for a while.
>>
>>32170166
So I assume that 54, 14, and 91R are all called Kalibr bease they share common design lineage?
>>
>>32170259
To some extent, yes.
>>
>>32170310
Now where does BrahMos fit into the Russian arsenal? Or does it?
>>
>>32170367
BrahMos is just Oniks for India. Oniks itself is for every new or modernised Russian ship equipped with 3S14 cells, from corvettes to battlecruisers and SSGNs.
>>
>>32170541
Ah. Safe to say they're committing to VLS then?
>>
>>32170595
Russians were the first ones to ever put VLS on a ship. They were putting 3S14 cells on their every new ship since quite a while by now. the system itself is very versatile and can be used to upgrade ships that due to their layout don't really have much place for vertical cells. Imagine a Slava-class cruiser upgraded with these:
http://concern-agat.ru/en/production/missile-systems-land-and-sea-based-missile-systems/club-u-modular-missile-system
>>
>>32170166
#lewd
>>
>>32170694
I'm imagining it, but P-1000 seems scarier.
>>
File: 1164 moskva in crimea.jpg (944KB, 2200x1464px) Image search: [Google]
1164 moskva in crimea.jpg
944KB, 2200x1464px
>>32170880
3M22 missiles fit to these cells as well.
>>
>>32164776
The guy thinks he knows more than the guys who has history with the Russian Navy like artjom or something. It doesn't matter if its wrong, Russian Armed Forces stronk.
>>
>>32170954
Well, that certainly seems scarier, though there is precious little info at all on the Russian version.
>>
>>32170880
P-1000 is RNG. They were only able to fit Vulkan on the Varyag Slava Class battlecruiser. It's meme point is it dives to the waterline during impact.

It's good if it hits, but what if there were waves? It'll disintegrate in front of the hull peppering it with shrapnels, which is still good but not as good as hitting the ship. There are 2 videos/webms of it hitting different targets. One was in conjunction with a Moskit during a Vostok exercise (the cruise ship like target that was hit first with a diving missile then hit with another one from 11 o clock) and another one where it hit a wave before impact therefore not doing 100% of what it is able to do.
>>
File: husky-10.jpg (199KB, 3659x2525px) Image search: [Google]
husky-10.jpg
199KB, 3659x2525px
Will there be a not-ugly Russian submarine? They look like third world submarines compared to American ones.
>>
>>32162216
he's a big guy
>>
File: 885 yasen k-560 severodvinsk (5).jpg (265KB, 3000x1987px) Image search: [Google]
885 yasen k-560 severodvinsk (5).jpg
265KB, 3000x1987px
>>32171369
It is pretty much confirmed that it goes operational with Nakhimov, so there's not much time left to wait.
>>32171560
Pretty much all American subs look like the same 50s relic copied over and over again, desu.
>>
>>32164763
Gary Busey.
>>
File: QzqME.jpg (199KB, 670x450px) Image search: [Google]
QzqME.jpg
199KB, 670x450px
>>32171682
>It is pretty much confirmed that it goes operational with Nakhimov, so there's not much time left to wait.
>so there's not much time left to wait.
Serious?

There's no documented successful launch of Zircon yet, all has been in failure.

Source on the 'confirmation'?
All that the Zircon has in common with Nakhimov is UKSK and even Buyan-M has UKSK.
>>
>>32172604
http://vpk-news.ru/news/30347
They specifically mention it will get Zirkon during modernisation.
>>
>>32172793
Doesn't mean it will go operational at the same time with Nakhimov.

Gorshkov also uses UKSK, it will also get Zircon. Even Grigorovich. It's just the missile is compatible with the UKSK launchers.
>>
>>32174475
Even Karakut. I know the missile is compatible with UKSK, but they literally say Nakhimov will get Zirkon during the refit. Not "cells that can house Zirkon", not "will be able to carry Zirkon after the refit". Very specifically "will receive Zirkon during the refit". It might or might not happen, but this is the basic idea they seem to aspire as of now, and the fact that they plan to begin production in 2018 kinda supports it:
http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3217394
>>
File: 3m70 p-1000 vulkan scale model.jpg (90KB, 800x455px) Image search: [Google]
3m70 p-1000 vulkan scale model.jpg
90KB, 800x455px
>>32171423
>They were only able to fit Vulkan on the Varyag Slava Class battlecruiser.
You are incorrect and furthermore oversimplifying it. None of the ships received P-1000 as it was developed to be - a missile with upgraded electronics suite and twice the range of P-500 due to the new boosters, reduced warhead, armour and overall hull weight in favour of more fuel. However all Project 1164 cruisers did receive a compromise version that is P-1000 in all but boosters. As a result, they have more range than P-500, but it is a much more modest increase than P-1000 was supposed to have with the new boosters. All three ships CAN NOT launch P-1000 with the new boosters as they are now - it will melt the launch tubes.
>It's meme point is it dives to the waterline during impact.
And this one you just made up.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.